main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I say read it for yourself and make up your own mind as to whether you like the series or not. Myself? I really enjoyed it.

[​IMG]

Whitelight likes this.
  2. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    If you consider Lucas to be the creator of the Mandalorians, his only view of them were "evil soldiers who fought the Jedi during the Clone Wars."

One of the nice things about the Mandalorians is that, of all the nationalities and organizations in Star Wars, they are arguably the most diverse. If you find one angle or aspect of the Mandos you dislike, there is always another to fill that void. My personal favorite take on the Mandalorians are Clan Ordo from KOTOR2. I would recommend the RepCom series for the first three books alone, which are all very good. It is not for everybody, I know, but it is worth reading if only for the fact that it does not deal with any Skywalkers, Kenobis or Solos for a change.

Whitelight likes this.
  3. Whitelight

Whitelight Jedi Master star 4

Aug 10, 2007
    Fair enough after I get done with the books i'm on now I'll be starting them.

Edit: The site I was writing on before it went down, hasn't came back up I try to write a mando like I thought with the family as being tight, but also being able to bring others in, those that wrote others mando turn them into sex, boozers and cold stone killers and hater of the force. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor likes this.
  4. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    They are all and one. The cause for the Mandalorians' massive social diversity was a direct result of the Mandalorian Wars. Anyone who resisted was killed in combat, anyone who joined willingly was given equal rights. Those who didn't resist, but didn't join, were enslaved by the Mandalorians, such as Mira. These slaves would be ammunition runners or supply chain operators. If they couldn't keep up, they were left behind. If they pulled their weight, they would be given the same status as the Mandalorians they served, becoming integrated into their units like family.

This grab bag of peoples results in all kinds of life joining the Mandalorian culture, and is responsible for it's widespread culture. You have farmers, engineers, brewers, builders, boozers, bangers, sexists, racists, and thugs. As different as they all are, they are joined in their common brotherhood under fire. Everyone fights.

Whitelight likes this.
  5. Whitelight

Whitelight Jedi Master star 4

Aug 10, 2007
    Thanks you Zandalor this was very lighten to know this about Mandalorians culture, to even rethink some of my characters roots. To make it stay true to their believes. I will be taking the time to read more on this matter.

6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Because I like his dad, and if Dred's dad was still alive in the GFFA then he could be played by Gary Busey. :p

Gary Busey for the Sequel Trilogy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Forgot Bessany as Zan mentioned.

The "how the creator pictured them" is a tough one.

George Lucas himself created the term Mandalorian and described them in brief as Super Commando's who fought the Jedi.

That said he really didn't develop the culture and define who they were. That was more of a combination of Marvel with KotOR.

That said, 30 years after the fact, George did come along and say "this is how I envisioned them" for TCW - While he still took elements likes the Death Watch essentially right out of the EU for that story.

In the end we know George Lucas to be a revisionist historian. I suspect that he didn't really envision Mandlaorians as pacifists when he first came up with the concept, but instead kinda glanced at what was already known about them when starting TCW and thought tossing in that wrinkle would be an interesting plot twist for them.

I suspect that if Mandalorians had been portrayed as Pacifists for 30 years worth of EU material George would have come along and said "They were never pacifists, always warriros Mandalorians were" because that is kinda how he likes to roll :p

Commander_Ducky and Whitelight like this.
  7. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Congrats to Bardan_Jusik for his modship. However, now I need to distrust you. It's just my thing. Never trust a mod with poor grammar.

Robimus and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Kandosii, Bardan!

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  9. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Thank you both.

[​IMG]

10. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Well Bardan, I hope you know what your in for :p

I admit I've never been big on the welcome to Modhood threads, so this as close as your going to get to a pat on the back :p

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  11. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Jango......Transform!

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  12. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Who are we casting next Robimus?

[​IMG]

13. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    @Bardan - I dunno.

So Karen Traviss turned in her buy'ce some time ago and has moved onto new franchsies and projects.

What author would you like to see pick up and run with the Mandalorian fiction? Who do you think isn't quite cut out for the task?

Doesn't need to be an author with Star Wars credits on theiur resume, could be anyone.

Obviously we have had the rumors that were swirling around about Matt Stover so he is high on my list. I'm also sure that James Luceno could do a nice job when thinking of existing authors.

I wouldn't want to see Aaron Allston touch Mandalorian characters as I think his style just really isn't suited to the task.

14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I thought you knew these things Rob! :p

As to your question, I don't pay much attention to what authors write which books so I won't be much help there. Looking at Stover I really liked the way he did the RoTS novel, it was better than the movie in my opinion. I know this isn't popular, but I didn't like Shattepoint. it kept putting me to sleep. I enjoyed Mindor. I thought he did a good job with Shysa in that one.

I think Luceno could probably do a pretty good job with Mandalorians. He has shown in the past a good eye for detail and an ability to weave a lot of various details together.

[​IMG]

15. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing Stover write some Mandalorian books. I think that would work pretty well.

Have we chosen someone for the role of Parja Bralor yet?

16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I don't believe we have.

[​IMG]

17. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Stover is also pretty high on my list. Luceno, not so much. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the guy, but he had the unenviable task of basically giving a heavily worded description for everything that would be featured in Revenge of the Sith. I love the second half of Labyrinth of Evil, but the first half is just so bogged down in exposition and descriptions of the ships, troopers, droids and everything else that it grinds to a halt.

Shame that Stackpole has also moved on, he'd be a fun choice.

The one person I never want to touch the Mandalorians again, however, is Troy Denning. He and Traviss acted like total children by sidelining their own books to spite the other. I remember when I accused Denning of this while he was still here, that he never intended that at all. Which is bull****, and he knows it. Why does Luke suddenly need to turn into a manipulative prick other than to kill off or punish another author's characters? And then the virus bombing madness. "Lol, all the clones are dead now, lol!" "No they're not! See, all my clones had super duper altering genome stuff!" "Oh yeah? Well I just crippled your pet character, so there!" "Oh yeah? -stops writing before the rebuttal shows up." "Lol, Mandoz Sux lol, see, now they're all murderous losers that Jedi can punch through with the Force, because Jedi are Jesus!"

Mia Mesharad and Robimus like this.
  18. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Then we likely know who is next :)

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  19. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    su'cuy, its been a while since i've been on the boards and its nice to see this thread still up and running and that there are some Mando'ade still on the boards

20. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
  21. Commander_Ducky

Commander_Ducky Jedi Master star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Oh man, I'm pretty psyched for this one. I don't have a clue who would be good for Parja, but I always really loved her character for some reason, despite not having a ton of page time.

Edit: Just realized I should probably chip in the obligatory May the Fourth be with you! Hooray for Star Wars! :p

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  22. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    so what have i been missing since i've been away

23. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Not so much, we are casting the RC series with the actors and actresses we would like to see in the role's of our favorite characters. If you go back a few pages you should see a list from Robimus that has who we have already cast.

[​IMG]

24. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    hmmm, thats interesting

25. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008