main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    The easiest way would be to watch the Welcome New Users thread and direct those that express an interest in Mandalorians to our thread. That might bring in new members, though I suppose not necessarily strong ones who post often. :p

[​IMG]

2. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    That's definitely a issue since it's hard to see if a new member stick around. I know I've done it countless times on other forums where I join and then don't remain active. Maybe we could come up with a way to keep new members interested in at least this thread while their interests in other section of the forum get rooted

EDIT: An idea, create 2 or three clans to get things started. Sorta like the Master-Apprentice thing but more open and less strict. I could also use photoshop/indesign/illustrator to create a logo if you guys want

EDIT: Another idea, set up a trade system with other EU clubs. No idea what we could use as trading currency yet but im sure someone will eventually think of something. Also we don't necessarily have to be apart of the Senate. We could be separate from it but acknowledge we're another faction in the EUC

3. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I believe the one way to keep people interested in a thread on a forum is to have an interesting conversation. Pick a few topics beyond just "pick an actor for the role of ___" -- varied topics that encompass what we are interested in. The Mandalorians are so deep it's easy to find a subject matter to beat to death. :p

The life blood of a forum is debate and discussion in my opinion.

Genet-Cabur Kyramud: How would such a trade system work?

4. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Some fanclubs here in the EUC incorporate some lite RP elements, some are just places where silliness is encouraged. I am members of both types, they are fun and have their place. However, we have traditionally shied away from any RP-lite style elements in this thread and I see no reason to change that. This thread always been easy on the requirements to join our club (just add your name to the roster) as one indication of this. No initiation rituals, no "moving up the ranks". We are a fanclub that discusses Mandalorians, their culture and their portrayal throughout the EU.

I find our thread to be unique and I rather like our emphasis on more serious discussion. If it is games you are looking for, there are plenty of opportunities in the RP forum to create a Mandalorian character. I myself am involved in several over there and while I quite enjoy it, this isn't the place for such.

Serious discussion here is always welcome as is the "casting call" which many of us are participating in. If you have an issue that you wish to discuss, we aren't very formal about it. Throw it out there and see if it sticks. Just keep it on topic and remember this is a fanclub.

The Senate (of which we are now a part) is not a game in the EUC. It is a thread where issues and concerns of the EUC may be discussed among its members. It helps to organize events and serves as a bridge between the community as a whole and the moderating team. Robimus is currently our Senator and has done an excellent job thus far of helping to advance several ideas through the Senate.

[​IMG]

5. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    The idea for this spawned from when Boba and the Mandos started using the new vein of Beskar to create their own Besker armor, weapons, and vehicles but they also created a "cheaper version" of their equipment to sell and barter with outsiders. I just threw this out there when I thought of that with the thought that it might spawn and idea from someone else, but I myself had no concrete way of doing it, yet.

I hadn't thought of it this way, and when you put it like that, I like it. I guess since I had been seeing the other EUC clubs doing the RP, that this aspect of the fanclub didn't occur to me.

What exactly is discussed in the Senate, and what are the ideas you mentioned? I looked at the Senate thread once a long time ago, so I really have no idea what goes on in there.

6. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Not as a knock on them, but I have noticed that the other clubs that do this seem to go through spurts of activity and then severe inactivity with their "missions", "tasks" and "trials." In some ways I think it drives some people away from simple (on topic) conversation which is what our thread is more geared towards. Our activity here seems slower at times, but is more steady over time I would say. Like I said I prefer to keep our club the way it is.

The EU Senate discusses an area of concern for the EUC as a whole. Recent topics of discussion have been the "EUC Awards", the "Get to know an EU character thread" and the "EUC spring fling". Currently the Senate is gearing up for elections as the term of our current Chancellor is coming to and end.

As your trade system would be an EUC wide event, it would also be a discussion for the Senate. However as this thread as a history of not getting involved in such RP-lite type games I doubt we would participate anyway. Still if it were something you wish to pursue, wait for the elections to conclude and then contact the new vice-chancellor to add your idea to the discussion docket.

[​IMG]

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Honestly, from my perspective most of the EUC seems to be social threads in the guise of fan clubs. I'm only half-joking whenever I make comments about the inactivity of this board, since it really doesn't seem nearly as active as Lit. Same goes for SWC and most of the film forums, Ep 7 being the exception. (though that forum is in a class of its own :p )

That said, this particular thread seems to be one of the more active threads here (which is part of the reason I post in here), but the rest is too niche for me to ever be interested in. (I'm looking at you, Wes Janson Fan Club ;) )

8. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Sorry, I just saw this edit. I don't think spamming other forums looking for membership here is the way to go. I wouldn't want them spamming here, it's only fair we don't spam there.

EDIT: Hey, I am a member of the WJFC. :p And the Jedi fanclub (The Guardians of Light). I agree, there is a much larger social element to those clubs than to this one. While I enjoy that there, I like this club as my bastion of sanity.

[​IMG]

9. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013

I agree with you that we are definitely a steadier over time so I will stick by your decision to keep this thread as is. As for the trade system, I might submit the idea but I don't think I will be the one carrying it out...

Also what has Robimus been specifically doing in the Senate for the Mandos? Just curious.

Side topic: I looked up the word lone, as in lone wolf, in Mando but the closest that came up was solus which was defined as alone, vulnerable. Does that mean it can mean alone OR vulnerable depending on the context of the use of the word, or does vulnerable imply that alone is in a weak context?

EDIT: Well if you think about it, Mandos are probably the few beings of the galaxy who are sane, since we only look after ourselves and our brothers haha

10. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    He has been representing the interests of this thread. I won't get into specifics because that is for him to talk about and I don't want to put words in his mouth. I was vice-chancellor at the beginning of this current term before my assumption of moderator duties as well, so I can say this. Robimus has been one of the more active Senators when it comes to idea origination and implementation.

For solus I would think it is a bit of both. A soldier is taught to do everything in pairs from a very early stage. Having a "battle buddy" to watch over you in a combat situation is important. Of course this idea tends to fall by the wayside while performing mundane peacetime tasks. :p So yes there is an inherent weakness that comes in being alone that would permeate the language of a warrior people. However I think this is also a bit like aruetii meaning traitor, foreigner or outsider. A lot depends on the context in which it is used.

[​IMG]

11. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    That's what I was thinking, glad I wasn't wrong haha, but this brings me to my next question. Since Mand'alor translates into sole ruler, does that mean Mand = sole and alor = ruler, or do those two parts act in symbiosis when creating the word sole ruler?

12. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I am guessing that even though the Mand'alor is the sole ruler it translates better to "(sole) ruler of the Mandalorian people".

Also don't take my answers as gospel when it comes to translations and the meanings behind them. They are just my opinions and others may look at things differently.

[​IMG]

13. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    I know hah just looking for second opinions. Going to request for a username change and trying to pick it carefully

14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I see. You only get one change and need to have a reason for it, so chose wisely.

[​IMG]

15. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    Decided on a name Shereshoy Cabur...

Robimus likes this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Sounds good.

[​IMG]

17. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    And here we go! Got the name changed, will update the roster with my new name when I get home later

18. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    Sorry for the repost, updating the roster!

Mand'alor

Beskaryc Taab -- Bardan_Jusik

ehn alore

Sumibor te Sol'yc -- Robimus

Haran Senaar -- Commander_Ducky

-- Darth_Zandalor

Mando'ade

-- Sinrebirth

Kurshi Woor -- Rebecca_Daniels

Saviin Jetii -- Todd the Jedi

Canderous Skirata -- Tim Battershell

-- Shereshoy Cabur

Kotyc Cuyan -- awesomejedi

-- Mia Mesharad

Beskarjag Ordo -- Zeta1127

Kyrar Darasuum - General Valerian

Mirdala Ordo- Whitelight

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    It is great to see some of the newer users taking a serious interest in the goings on of the EUC and the Oya Club. I will try and answer the questions posed and maybe shed some light on why things currently are the way they are.

One thing we always have to keep in mind when it comes to debate and discussion is that this is a fan club, so it is for discussing what we enjoy about this or that without getting too hung up on the aspects of things that we don't enjoy. While we love to see each new user posting in the thread it all has to fit within that mission statement so to speak.

The Casting Activity is something that was begun quite a while back, and agreed upon by all the current users active at that time as something that we would like to do. As a group activity it has created a lot of discussion, has allowed us to interact some with the other clubs(such as inviting the Callista Club to take part in the casting of that character) and just generally given us something to fall back to when other conversation kinda gets stagnant.

It is not the first event created that had the blessing of the whole group. In 2008 we ran a successful 'Learn to Speak Mando'a' activity which was a lot of fun. In between these events we have dicsussed all manner of things, from each of KT's novels, to Mandalorians in the Marvel Comics, to Oepn Seasons, The Clone Wars, Mandalorians in Video Games - sky is the limit. If it is out there we have likely touched on it at some point.

And we are all for new ideas. Feel free to discuss whatever you would like to discuss, there are no topics that are really off limits(outside of extreme negativity).

For a longtime we didn't take part in the EUC Senate, as frankly some of us didn't know what make of it. It was part serious, part roleplaying, part social group. Not having a voice in the EUC Senate meant that we didn't have a voice in how we wanted the overall EUC to be run.

One of the first things I'd say that we(and others) pushed for and supported was Senate reform, changes so that the Senate remained more on topic. This was before we even had a Senator of course.

My 'work :p' in the Senate has more to do with the EUC as a whole. If we don't have an EUC then we don't have an EUC Fan Club - so trying to help the EUC in general is an important task. I pitched the idea for, and hosted the "EUC Character of the Year Awards" earlier this year. A certain female Mandalorian fared very well in that contest ;)

I also pitched the current "Get to Know An EU Character" topic currently that s65Horsey & Havac have hosted so well thus far. A few weeks back, as a group, we discussed who we would like to see discussed - and the pick we came to as a group was Canderous Ordo. Expect to see "Get to Know Canderous Ordo" coming soon to an EUC Thread near you.

I also represented the will of the club in the last election for Chancellor & Vice Chancellor, which saw Horsey & Bardan elected. I have also invited numerous users here from other parts of TF.N, some of which have contributed here a great deal over the past couple years.

My first post in this club was July 1st, 2008, back when this group was at 30 or so pages(it had been nearly defunct for nearly three years stretching back to 2005 at one point), so I've been around for a while and have seen a lot of folks come and go, kinda seen some of the ideas that stick alongside some of the things that don't work as well.

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    My copying and pasting isn't working well tonight, so bear with me if I make a couple posts in a row. :D

This is just what we have been working towards over the years and believe when I say I've seen a lot of folks come and go. Attracting new users is always a goal, but with the limited amounts of new Mandalorian material of late it is tougher to find those new fans.

Going back a few years, Dha Lanna, Ducky and myself kinda steered this club towards that of a discussion thread because that was what we were looking for at the time. It is kind of Lit inspired to be sure, but of course without the heavy critcisms. I'm glad you found us and enjoy what we have become.

That is a great idea! We did have someone do a logo for us a couple years back(it is a vague recollection but I know we had one) - Anyone still have a picture of that one?
    At one point we had a couple members that were more into the RP'ing, like Zandoran Celix. Unfortunatly they departed and basically turned the group over to us. As Bardan says, lots of oppurtunity to RP around the EUC so we keep this kinda the way it is. No reason you can't keep us updated on the RP'ing and where it is taking place incase other members are interested in taking part, but as Bardan mentions a bunch of us aren't really into the roleplaying stuff.

Also feel free to post links to stuff like RP's that your taking part in, Fan Fiction you have written - anything that you think folks would be interested in here. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and there is certainly a lot of different ways to enjoy the EUC.

21. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    Over the next two days I'll work up a logo, anything you guys ask to be in the logo?

22. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    My avatar. :p

[​IMG]

Shereshoy Cabur likes this.
  23. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    I've drafted up a drawing of my idea for the logo, I drew two versions, let me know what you think!

http://imgur.com/egEXIuw

24. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I think the concept is pretty good. [face_coffee]

25. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    I am kind of new to the mandalorian culture I don't know as much as I could which is why one of my first places I wanna be really active in is this thread. Because I love mandalorians I mean characters described as being mandalorian like The Fetts and Shae Vizla from The Old Republic are really interesting to me and they are characters that make me take notice. And I would love to know more about it especially of the language and of various names that are mandalorian just to figure out a name for a mandalorian character I have in mind for a roleplay. Because in that aspect I wanna try to be real accurate but at the same time I wanna learn just to learn this stuff.

Robimus likes this.