main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Sometimes it makes as much sense as government reasoning :p

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do mando's have any superstitions about witches, sorcerers, warlock, bad spirits and/or similar things that we know of?

And do we know any words for those kind of things in mando'a?

3. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Last I knew the only spirits they have words for are alcoholic or 'the right stuff' to be a mando. (mandokarla).
    I always considerem them to be deeply pracitcal people. So no place for superstition. In a place where magic de facto exists (the Force) that may be a wide definition, though.

Mandalore The Uniter likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The problem is that superstitious people usually don't see their superstitions as superstition but more like common sense. Also if five minutes praying to the spirits three to five times a day may give you an edge in whatever-you-do, many probably think those minutes worthwhile especially in a life/death situation.

And as you said: if magic, demons and wizards de facto exists there may be a wide definition on pracitcality, though.

5. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    Does anyone know how many supercommandos there were during the Yuuzhan Vong war? Where there hundreds or thousands? I think in Bloodlines it was stated that there were only a hundred or so left in active duty.

6. Mandalore The Uniter

Mandalore The Uniter Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    If we're talking Supercommandos as in "Ori'ramikad", then yes there were only around 100. I can't say if TCW's version is considered the same as Ori'ramikad, as they (Ori'ramikad) were basically the elite of Mandalorian warriors in KT's books.

7. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah I was referring to KT super commandos. There were about a hundred as of 40 ABY but is it possible there were considerably more during the Yuuzhan Vong war?

8. Mandalore The Uniter

Jul 17, 2007
    KT's version of Super Commando was never meant to be a a force of significant number, because of their elite and "clandestine" nature. The portrayal of Super Commandos can be very confusing because they are mentioned as far back as Mandalore the Ultimate's time. The term has been used to label both the entire warrior culture and a small group within the culture. KT's version being the later.

9. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    OK that helps me out a bunch :D

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was just thinking: since most cultures are practical from their own standpoint; how are the mandos practical?

11. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    One point leaps to mind.

Many cultures may say: "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best" But none put it to the fullest test like the mando's ;)

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How?

13. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Gamiel I wouldn't say any culture I have seen is that pragmatic. There's always some religious remnants, moral and taboos around.Even if it's just 'get a big car despite no parking spaces ever and pollution'. Don't throw dead pets into the trash. Pretty is better than useful (especially for women).

Leaving the dead to rot because they're gone anyway but keep the kit as it will likely outlast the next owner as well? Pragmatic.
    Don't care who fathers/mothers your children if your spouse is away for long stretches? Pragmatic.
    Cin Vhetin? Great concept but I doubt many people can actually see it through. Very useful for getting things done.

THat's what I mean, if I'm making any sense.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    First: what do you mean with "religious remnants"?

Second: I said "most cultures are practical from their own standpoint" and many of taboos have/had a good reason behind them, for example: eating pigs is rather stupid in areas with trichinella.
    When it comes to the "Don't throw dead pets into the trash"* part, I think it is a question about emotional worth: your pet is a friend and to many people throwing your friend into the same place you throw your trash is not right. But there are probably lots of people that still do that if they don’t know where to make of the carcass.

I guess that with ‘pet’ you mean around dog or smaller because a horse is a bit hard to get in to the trash.
    Sorry I don't see how this makes them any more practical then many other cultures.

15. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Religious remnants: covering your head when entering a church.

emotional worth is kinda impractical. What happens to the body of something/somene dead metters to those still alive. What they do with it can be rather impractical like bulding a pyramid around it, burning wife and kids with it. Even putting up a graveyard can be impractical if you need the land (and it's bad for the ground over long stretches). So what? Eat? Burn and use as fertiliser?

Sorry, with no other culture to compare them with, I can't do anything.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can you expand a little?
    How so?
    Exactly and also for the dead if you believe in that kind of afterlife. There is also the that burials are unusually the main protection from the possibility of the dead returning.
    Not if you believe in that kind of afterlife that the pharaohs believed in, the pyramids are also a great way of declaring your and your realms greatness.
    You have a whole planet to chose from, pick one.

17. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    Does anyone know how many troops a Q-carrier can hold? The Wook only states that it has room for a pilot but not much else is specified other than that.

18. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Considering it only says pilot my spammy answer would be a one man army with Besalik and heavy ordnance in tow :p

Mando-Man likes this.
  19. Mandalore The Uniter

Jul 17, 2007
    Not sure why it only says Pilot on the Wook when Open Seasons shows a pilot + co-pilot in the cockpit during the Korda VI battle. With the amount of mandos shown exiting in that specific battle, I'd say at least 20 could fit in the hold. This is only an assumption however.

20. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Only a little smaller than an AT-AT, seemingly, so 20 to 30 feels like a good estimate.

21. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah that was going to be my guess but I figured I'd ask around. Good to know, thanks guys.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know were it was first established that the clone troopers & commandos training has extremely hard with, among other things, live ammunition and the kaminoans were perfectionists that killed of clones just because they did not have perfect vision?

Also have people seen this
    [​IMG]

23. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    That would be Travis if I remember right, although some clone episodes from TCW seem to indicate instead of disposal they might of been used in place of droids to clean and work around the facilities.

Also had not seen that image before. Shiny. :D

24. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Traviss' novels came out before TCW stuff did. I think it was in Hard Contact through Kal's musings.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    TCW did indicate that it was unusual that the defective clone 99 was spared–it was only because of the Jedi ordering him to be left alive, otherwise the Kaminoans would've killed him. Once Shaak Ti began overseeing operations on Kamino, the execution of defective clones was stopped (that we know of).

Iron_lord likes this.