main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Oz The Great and Powerful

Discussion in 'Community' started by DT421, Nov 5, 2012.

1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Saw the trailer for it recently, and I have to say that I'm intrigued by it. It's about the origins of the great Wizard. I wonder if this will spawn a remake of the original.

2. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    was that the wicked witch's hand at the end?

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Why waste time doing a remake? They should follow this one with a buddy-flick where the wizard teams up with John Carter to bring freedom and justice to Oz using cold steel and air-balloons. John Carter of Oz - now that's a concept even Disney can sell.

4. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I've not seen John Carter, so I'll just have to take your word for it. :p

5. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I was expecting Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter to pop up....

Needless to say, I'm not overly impressed.

6. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    No it was the other Green Skinned lady of Oz....ya know...She-Hulk.

Quixotic-Sith and jp-30 like this.
  7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Commander-DWH, please tell us all your lovely thoughts on this film. O:)

8. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    They may have some monster in the movie for all I know. Plus there is no casting for the...*looks it up again* oh its
    Mila Kunis...Wait she appeared to not be green in the trailer...so..somehow in this she gets turned green?[/spolier]

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Wizard of Oz is one of those movies that should never be remade, ever.

This movie looks interesting, given that at some point a movie version of WIcked is coming we will have two Oz prequels. I doubt either of them will fit together, but you never know

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Meh. I love the books and I love the original film. Theoretically the idea of this film is kind of interesting. But this film... meh.

11. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Really? You want me to unleash that on this forum? Here's what I say: Arthur Christmas is released on DVD and Blu-ray today, and it's awesome. Oz is the opposite of awesome. The end.

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    But your thoughts on this film are fun and amazing. :)

13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Why not.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Because it's great as it is, what would be gained by remaking it. That would like remaking Star Wars, just don't do it.

I'm all for remaking not-very-good movies to attempt to do them right, but some films are unlikely to be better so it's not worth it. Look at Psycho, genius movie and the remake was stupid and offensive to Hitchcock's good name.

15. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    They can make an Oz story without it being a remake of the MGM film. There is ample amounts of source material to draw from.

SithLordDarthRichie and Bacon164 like this.
  16. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Or they could simply do the Wizard of Oz that's more like the book and less like the movie.

Miana Kenobi and Bacon164 like this.
  17. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Actually, Disney doesn't have the rights to the movie, so they have to be very careful that the look does not match it too closely. They only have the rights to the book. So anyone worried about a remake, you can take a deep breath?

I will say this for the movie. It will be friggin' gorgeous. Because Imageworks makes gorgeous things. I can't vouch for the plot, however, since they don't send us the audio, because we don't need to know what the movie is about, I guess. I really can't elaborate all that much without violating my NDA, but working on this project is......... something else, that's for sure. My rule of thumb for how we run things is "everything is stupid." So far I haven't been proven wrong.

18. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The Psycho remake was an interesting experiment in what exactly makes a great movie great. I consider it an invaluable addition to film culture even if the film itself borders on unwatchable.

Also keep in mind that the MGM film itself is a remake. And it's an (highly unfaithful) adaptation. And it's a musical. There are plenty of creative directions a remake could take. Don't put movies on pedestals just because they are cultural artifacts. If they're as valuable to the future as they are to the past, they will be remembered.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  19. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, from the looks of this movie, it looks as though they've managed to come kinda close on a few things already. The one that caught my attention was the use of black and white until he arrives in wondrously colorful Oz.

20. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    They'll just make a live-action TV series for the Sci Fi channel that will be pretty good, but then get cancelled much to the rage of fanboys everywhere.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  21. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    That was done in Tin Man too when DG met Dorothy as well, but not when she was in Kansas

22. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    That's because you're working on it, dear. :)

And Arthur Christmas is FINALLY out??