main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ozzel's Fatal Mistake

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Shadow-Sith, Nov 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow-Sith

Shadow-Sith Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2003
    Ok Ozzel felt surprise was best, but Vader says the fleet came out of hyperspace to close to the system and the rebels picked up on them. Now if the ships came out of hyperspace further out and entered the system wouldn't the rebels have picked up on them and would have been able to raise the shield? I sorta think the rebels picked up a signature that was boosted by the ships coming out of hyperspace and if the ships came out of hyperspace further out they wouldn't have picked it up. Any help with this is appreciated.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Right. The plan was to come out of hyperspace further away from Hoth, then sneak up on the planet. By doing this, they might have caught the Rebels unaware and with their shield down.

3. Wiggins

Wiggins Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2003
    this is why Vader killed Ozzel because he said this

"With the Executer under my command, i will be the ultimate power in the universe!" - Admiral Ozzel, only moments before he is killed by Darth Vader

and that is why Vader Killed him

4. Shadow-Sith

Sep 30, 2003
    Ok. I've always wondered however how the rebels can afford scanning gear that sophisticated when they're using out of date anti personnel and anti vehicle laser batteries. How long does it usually take for shields of that sort to become active.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Apparently, the shield only takes moments to activate, since Veers reports to Vader almost immediately after they emerge from hyperspace.

I believe Vader's tactic was to try and bombard the base from long range, while the Rebellion had their shield down. If they had done that, then the shuttles could land sooner and take over the base.

"With the Executer under my command, i will be the ultimate power in the universe!"

Ozzel never said that.

6. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    What about the probe droid Han shot? Didn't the rebels know about the Empire then?

7. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Vader was just in a killing mood. It keeps his officers in check.

I guess since Vader no longer had Jedi to kill he had to resort to something.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Didn't the rebels know about the Empire then?

Yeah, but they probably don't have enough power to keep the shield up all the time.

9. Shadow-Sith

Sep 30, 2003
    I'd agree with Bib on that one.

10. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Probe droids were sent to many planets in the galaxy to find the Rebels. The one Han shot was one of many designed to ferret out the Rebel Base.

If you come out of hyperspace away from a planet, you can sneak in. Sensors can detect (speculation here) ships exiting hbyperspace easily (which is what the Rebels did, when the fleet came out close to Hoth). However, if the ships come out a long way away, then they have a chance to catch the sensors unaware. Speculation, of course. :)

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    So the correct thing to do would have been to send out a bunch of ruses to force the Rebels to keep raising and lowering the shield until they lost power. :p

12. Shadow-Sith

Sep 30, 2003
    Plus with the meteorite activity in the system it would be hard for the rebels to spot the imperials if they exited hyperspace undetected. That's a good plan DLM.

13. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Pity the Imps didn't employ it. 8-}

Or perhaps lucky...

14. DARTHBROKER

DARTHBROKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2001
    I agree with JediKnightOB1. Vader was jonesing to force choke somebody ever since that tool in the DS1 mocked Vader.

15. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Ok. I've always wondered however how the rebels can afford scanning gear that sophisticated when they're using out of date anti personnel and anti vehicle laser batteries.
    We don't really know at all what sort of sensors the Rebels had. They didn't detect the probe droid coming out of hyperspace, or it taking pictures of their shield generator.

16. Wiggins

Wiggins Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2003
    With the Executer under my command, I will be the ultmate power in the universe!" - Admiral Ozzel, only moments before he is killed be Darth Vader

Yes Bibs he did say that or The New Essential Guide To Vehicles & Vessels is wrong and i don't think it is since it was approved by GL

17. Shadow-Sith

Sep 30, 2003
    Maybe the probe droids were to small to be considered threats by the scanners.

18. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    What about the probe droid Han shot? Didn't the rebels know about the Empire then?

I've always assumed that's exactly why the shield was up in the first place, and not because of Ozzel. In other words, Vader killed him for a mistake he never made.

19. Shadow-Sith

Sep 30, 2003
    The General didn't give the order to raise the shield until the Imperial ships came out of hyperspace.

20. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Something gradually moving through space could be mistaken for asteroids or maybe smuggler ships passing by the planet, and might not arouse as much suspicion as opposed to something appearing immediately out of Hyperspace headed in their direction. That would obviously have to be the Imperials.

Basically, the idea was to "fly casual," and look like something minding its own business; if it looks like it's trying to surprise you, then chances are it is.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    What if they came out of hyperspace far enough out the Rebels couldn't detect them, then drifted in with the asteroids? The Rebels wouldn't notice them until they were already in the system. I think that was what Vader was going for.

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    That's it exactly. Vader wanted to sneak up on Hoth.

23. Shadow-Sith

Sep 30, 2003
    Ozzel and his foolish impatience.

24. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    You have failed me for the last time "Admiral." [face_devil]

25. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Somehow I don't think even Vader could have sneaked anywhere with a Super Star Destroyer and several ISD's. Maybe he wanted to hide in the asteroids (or behind the asteroid field or something) and launch his TIE bombers and fighters to wipe out the Shield Generator. After the shield is down, the Destroyers would've surrounded the planet and possibly bombarded the base from orbit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.