main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC P E O P L E Interviews, Issue LXV: Boba_Fett_2001!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    PEOPLE

Welcome back to PEOPLE!

Boba_Fett_2001 is probably an example of a user I’ve wanted to interview ever since 2004, when I started doing these. He’s always been popular, witty, acerbic, really really really ridiculously good-looking, and just plain awesome. Everything I am not! I hates him! Nowadays, he might not be as much of an up-your-ass-posting-machine (to use a phrase harpua coined) as some other, more visible posters (HI, ENDER!), but he’s always been one of the JCC’s classiest regular patrons.

In a very nostalgic interview, we talked about Toronto, premium grocery store brands, Islam, and, of course, the Simpsons.

My questions are bolded; Jazib’s answers are not.

Alright, before we get down to business, I just need to do some background checks. Please provide birthdate, address, and Driver's License number.

The answer to all three is 6.

Thaaaat's wonderful! Alright, we're ready to begin.

So how are you doing tonight?

I'm doing fine, thanks. I just finished watching episode 6 of Mr. Robot, which I'm really enjoying so far. I'm starting to understand all the hype for it.

I have not watched it (yet). What makes it so good?

I think the biggest strength is the main character, Elliott, and Rami Malek's portrayal of him. Also, I really like the music in the show.

I noticed you have Raul Julia for an avatar. I know he's playing M. Bison, but believe it or not, I've never seen Streetfighter. Would you recommend it as a movie I should go watch, like, right now?

Yes, absolutely. It's the greatest video game movie ever made and Raul Julia is great it in (seriously, even the people who hate it will admit he's awesome as Bison).

Where do you live? [I'm pretty sure I already know- Toronto, right?]

Yup, I live in Toronto.

What do you do?

I work for Loblaws, which is the largest grocery store chain and retailer in Canada. I work at their head office in the category management/buying department. I'm responsible for promotional sales and pricing for specific products sold at the stores.

What do your friends and family think you do [I'm thinking of that meme, do you know the one?]

Yeah, I know that meme. It would probably be a picture of me eating ice cream or something. One of the perks of my job is that we get samples of our vendors' new and upcoming products so there's never any shortage of food around the office. Whenever I describe my job to someone they'll usually ask if I get free samples of stuff, which is definitely true but again just a perk.

Are you still a big Boba Fett fan?

I don't think I was ever a "big fan" to begin with. I first made this username for the ol' MSN Gaming Zone when I was 13 and this was at the height of my Star Wars craze so I guess I just wanted something to express that while also sounding cool. I don't know what I was doing to be honest but I guess that's teenage life in a nutshell.

What is your biggest strength?

Well, if this was a job interview I would probably say something about being reliable and a fast learner. :p

What's the most unusual item you've sampled?

Probably something like this:

[​IMG]

I can't remember if it was that exact product but it's pretty close. It's a waffle shaped like a fish with an ice cream filling. A lot of us did not feel particularly great after eating it.

Did you mutate after eating it?

Something definitely mutated in my stomach.

What's something you personally loved, as part of your job, but it ended up not selling at all?

Quite a few good products have been developed for our own brand, President's Choice, but just never took off for whatever reason. There was a range of premium ice cream bars, similar to Haagen-Dazs or Magnum, that last I heard will be gone by end of the year. Sucks because the product is pretty good and cheaper than those other brands.

Don't people kind of think of store-owned brands as being sort of, I don't know, generic? :p

Generally yes, but in the case of President's Choice it's one of the most recognized and popular brands in Canada since the 80s. It's actually known for its high quality products.

What is probably the most obscure thing you're interested in?

I often get nostalgic about old MS-DOS/Windows games from the 80s/90s and I don't just mean the classics from developers such as Epic Megagames or Apogee. I still have a few CDs that have hundreds of games on them that are quite obscure. Who could forget the awesomeness of F-18: No Fly Zone or the masterpiece that was Pickle Wars? I remember one of the first computers we had in the house had not Space Invaders BUT....Space Commanders! Yeah, it's basically the same game but it was fun!

What's bar none your favorite game ever?

There was a thread in Games about this a little while back. This was my response:

Do you think video games can be art? I asked Ramza the same question, and he did not seem to think so.

I'm one of the last people that should be asked this question. This is might be (and probably is) wrong but aren't all forms of entertainment art in one way or another? By that definition video games can certainly be art.

Greatest...

Memory

Well this is difficult but the first thing that came to mind was getting a Sega Genesis for my birthday when I was 6 or 7 and going crazy like the Nintendo 64 kid. Now that I think about birthdays, I was in India when I turned 19 and got to see the Taj Mahal that day so that was pretty great too.

Post of yours on JCC

Many years ago, the late great Jedi_Nailbiter sent me a PM asking if I wanted to play a game where I would create a thread called "PING" and he would make one called "PONG." As people would reply to each thread we would try to balance it out and play PING PONG. Sadly, we never got around to doing it but a few years later I mentioned the idea to none other than darth_boy and we had a brief but fun game of PING PONG.

Friend

It would have to be my friend Shan whom I've known for as long as I can remember. Our parents met each other when they moved to Canada in the mid 70s and our families have been close ever since. Our friendship pretty much revolves around our love for hockey, games, and movies. I mentioned earlier how I love old DOS games and a lot of my favourites were introduced to me by him as well as his older brother who I'm also close with.

Worst...

Memory

In the fifth grade I took a football to the groin like Hans Moleman.

Post of yours on JCC

I hate pretty much any post I made here as a teenager.

Hello Jaz, Punk here. By my calculations, you were still a child when you first registered here. Do you think these boards are a healthy place for kids?

What?? I was 13, the legal minimum age required to post here as per the COPPA! [face_not_talking] But to answer the question, no. Hide your kids, hide your wife, hide your husband, etc.

It’s Cor again!

Worst friend

I can’t think of anyone specifically.

Sounds like you have some good friends. Btw, I think Rachel is cruel for making you wear a Royals player for an avatar. :p

What's your favorite Die Hard movie?

Die Hard With A Vengeance because it's the only one I've seen. I know, I'm a terrible person. :(

WHAT

Go watch all the others RIGHT NOW. [face_plain]

I don't know why I felt compelled to ask you that, by the way.

Ossy, maybe? Didn't he have some "Willis" thing?

Oh so you think Ossy and I are the same person?! [face_plain]

No, no, no, just that you and Ossy always, I don't know, "e-hung out"

Yes, he had his Bruce willis phase during that Expendables/Die Hard/Looper timeframe.

Tell us a joke you know.

How many members of U2 does it take to change a light bulb?

One. Bono holds the light bulb in place and the whole world revolves around him!

How many JCCers does it take to change a light bulb?

IGN or Xenforo

I guess I have to go with Xenforo because of the features it has. My ideal JCF would have the look of IGN with the functionality of Xenforo.

Ossy or pre-ban Comet

Comet because if Ossy tells him to "go write a poem about it" he can probably do it for real.

Red or blue Tunick

Blue is easier on the eyes.

Rachel or Rachel or Rachel or Rachel

I don't know who this fourth Rachel is so let's go with her.

JCF or reddit

If there were a bizarro world version of you named Bizaj, what would he be like? What would he like to do? What would his posts be like?

He would be an Islam instead of a Muslim, spend more time doing actual important things in life, and be known for constantly referencing Family Guy in his posts.

Let's talk about Force Awakens. Do you think they're gonna nail it? Or will it mostly misfire?

I expect everything on a technical level (visuals, music, cinematography, action sequences, etc) to be really good. If the trailers and TV spots are any indication, it'll probably be the best looking SW movie we've seen. What the story and characters will be like is the biggest question. I've read bits of the synopsis that was posted on MSW earlier this year and there were some things that made me groan a bit but at the same time I don't know how much of it is legit. Still, I remain cautiously optimistic and think it'll be a great movie-going experience.

Interesting lyric in your signature there. Why does it fill me with such dread?

You'll have to ask someone who has both read The Silmarillion and has listened to Nightfall In Middle-Earth to get the best answer to that question. I have not done the former.

What do you do to unwind? Specifically, stuff that most people don't do.

Hmm well usually it's playing video games or watching something (TV shows, sports, movies, stuff online, etc). In other words, stuff most people do. :p I guess I could mention Simpsons Trivia Nights that occur every month here. They're always a great time.

Wait, here at the JCC? Where is that?

Haha sorry, here as in Toronto. :p

Do you usually win?

Sadly, my team has never won. Now I know what you're thinking. That has be impossible right? Well, the thing is this trivia night is some serious business. There are usually about 45-50 teams every night with a maximum of 6 players per team. So there are a crapload of hardcore super nerds who either cheat or just somehow know some of the most obscure things about The Simpsons. The questions get really really difficult towards the end of the night and that's where my team always falls off. The best score we got was 41 out of 50.

Holy crap. Have there been fights?

No fights but sometimes there are controversies over certain questions. I wasn't there for this one but there was big argument over what Moe calls a garage, which is a "car hole." A lot of people thought it was "car hold." I actually thought for the longest time it was car hold too until I had read the script online many years ago. Fun times!

Do you think your Simpsons knowledge is unrivaled on the JC, at least?

For as many JCCers as you can think of, say which Simpsons character they are most like, or who they would be if there were on the show.

Ossy - Comic Book Guy
    SJ - Groundskeeper Willie
    Terr - Martin
    Omega - Inanimate Carbon Rod
    harps - Ruth Powers
    Varouj - Kearney
    jp - Hank Scorpio
    dp - Krusty the Clown
    Coruscant - Kent Brockman
    Tunick - Barney
    Wocky - Dr. Hibbert
    Dave - Bumblebee Man
    Jello - Mr. Burns
    Vin - Moe
    Tom - Otto
    Amos - Frank Grimes
    Dani - Lionel Hutz
    Everton - Shary Bobbins
    Ender - Knifey-Spooney guy
    Vivec - Professor Frink
    Ramza - Mathemagician
    Darth Guy - Abe Simpson
    zapdos - Santa's Little Helper
    Femi - Bleeding Gums Murphy
    Arlon - Rod Flanders

Oh, yeah, what about you?

Little Jamshed since that was my avatar here for quite a while.

I wanted to talk about religion at some point. IIRC, you are Muslim, or come from a Muslim background, correct? Are you open to having a conversation about it?

Sure, just for you. :p

Are you a practicing Muslim? Do you believe in Allah?

Yes but I do not consider myself to be very religious, at least compared to other Muslims I know (family and friends). Though based on my experiences with people who aren't Muslim they often think I am. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

What sect are you part of? What, in your opinion, is the most misunderstood thing about Islam?

[Interviewer’s note: after some time passed and before Jazib answered this question, news began to break about the attacks in Paris.]

In light of the attacks, I just want to let you know if it turns out to be Islamic extremists, I don't blame you or your fellow Muslims in the slightest.

And I never would expect you to. Very unfortunate timing with all this happening. I could name several things that are misunderstood about Islam but there probably isn't a better example than when terrorism or extreme acts of violence are associated with the religion rather than the people who committed the acts. Any time stuff like this happens I can't help but think, "Here we go again..."

I am Sunni though I prefer to identify as just Muslim.

Oh look, just what I was talking about! Great. [face_plain]

Yes. Him and Slowpoke are why I made my "Could we just ****ing not" post.

It all reminds me of 9/11. What struck me in the years afterwards was realizing that it was probably the worst thing not for Christian Americans and other Christians around the globe, but for Muslims. You didn't hear about Muslims suddenly rising up and attacking everybody, instead you heard about retaliatory violence towards Muslim-looking people. Was this the case for you in Canada around the time of the attacks? How old were you?

I was 14. Thankfully, there really wasn't an uprising against Muslims or anything like that here (at least from what I can remember). I think people got more nervous when incidents happened within Canada (i.e. the Toronto 18).

Thank God they stopped that.

And Canadians have always been amazing people.

If you could meet them, what would you say to these attackers? I'm wondering what I would say myself.

Oh boy....I have no clue to be honest. Would they even listen to anything that I have to say?

As someone who doesn't watch the Simpsons (I've seen two episodes; one when I was very little and one much more recently), I don't exactly understand what makes the Simpsons so great. It can't just be merely that it's super funny- lots of things are. What puts the Simpsons just one more notch above the competition?

Haha oh yeah I remember you using it in Shelf of Shame.

Sometimes I'm not very good at articulating why I like or dislike certain things. I think this is the case when it comes to The Simpsons where I probably would just say I love it because it's so funny. But if I have to get specific I would say its greatest strengths are the writing and the characters.* There's also an element of absurdity to many of the jokes and gags that I adore. For example, in Bart's Comet a bunch of people cram into Ned Flanders' bunker to protect themselves from a comet that is about to hit Springfield. The door to the bunker won't close unless one person leaves so Homer decides to kick Ned out. As he leaves he gives a shotgun to his son and says, "I might go mad with fear out there, so Todd, I want you to shoot Daddy if he tries to get back in" and Todd while crying effortlessly cocks the shotgun as if he'll be ready to do it if necessary. I have no idea if this sounds as funny as it is in the actual episode but those completely insane jokes are just the best.

*I should note that I am primarily talking about classic era Simpsons (Seasons 1-9ish). :p

What is your absolute favorite Simpsons episode ever? Why?

I know it sounds like a cop-out but I honestly don't have one. I can certainly recognize certain episodes being better than others but even when you take those out it's still impossible for me to choose just one.

Simpsons and South Park. Which one has had the greater cultural impact?

And be honest, now! :p

Simpsons. Even the biggest South Park fan would acknowledge that. Especially if you consider the episode Simpsons Already Did It.

What do you think of Family Guy?

I didn't think it was physically possible, but it both sucks and blows.

And it’s over! Already. Thanks for reading. :)

Thank you for your participation, Jazib.

Jazib might make a post shortly. If you liked his answers and participation in this interview, please Like that post.

If you were a PEOPLE interviewee in the past and you saved your issue, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, old issues from before the big move will be restored by going the (very) long way around.

Past Issues

1. FamousAmos
    2. Darth_Ignant
    3. FareLenore
    4. Mortimer_Snerd
    5. Darth_Deception (hear+soul)
    6. Albert_Normandy
    7. Darth_Snowball*
    8. PhilipWise
    9. Everton*
    10. Quixotic-Sith*
    11. DarthTunick*
    12. KnightWriter*
    13. gabe*
    14. Coruscant*
    15. rhonderoo / Kavic_Toth*
    16. Katya_Jade*
    17. harpuah I*
    18. VadersLaMent*
    19. George_Roper*
    20. Handmaiden_Yane*
    21. solojones I*
    22. jp-30*
    23. GrandAdmiralJello*
    24. Earwen and Skye Lightrider*
    25. Souderwan*
    26. harpuah II*
    27. AaylaSecurOWNED
    28. TheGuardianofArlon*
    29. PulsarSkate*
    30. Eeth-my-Koth (Vin)*
    31. dp4m*
    32. MASTERPRENN*
    33. Grimby the Hutt*
    34. s65horsey*
    35. Esperanza_Nueva*
    36. Errant_Venture*
    37. harpuah III*
    38. Darth_Guy
    39. JediYvette
    40. solojones II*
    41. SLR*
    42. Whitey*
    43. imperial_dork*
    44. AmazingB*
    45. Miana Kenobi*
    46. JoinTheSchwarz*
    47. Armenian_Jedi*
    48. darth_boy*
    49. ApolloSmileGirl
    50. tom
    51. Jabba-wocky
    52. Zapdos
    53. Kyle Katarn
    54. Healer_Leona
    55. I Are The Internets
    56. Ramza
    57. Rogue1-and-a-half
    58. Admiral Volshe
    59. Lord Vivec
    60. Jabbadabbado
    61. anakinfansince1983
    62. slightly_unhinged (ask-the-younglings, Bob Crow)
    63. mrsvos
    64. Darth Punk

*unrestored

~Coruscant

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Krusty...

[​IMG]

I'll take it! <3

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    good interview, could have been longer though! lub u jazib.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It felt like a long one for me and probably Cor too. :p

5. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    cool. always liked your posts. i think. i haven't read every of course.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Hi Jazib. I also love Die Sampsans and DOS games; we need to have some retrogaming talk some day and maybe swap diskettes or something.

Great 10008 reference.

Ossy is banned lol

jp-30 and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    After reading this...

[​IMG].

Throughly enjoyable, as you've been/continue to be Boba_Fett_2001.

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Nice interview. :cool:

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh god I'm so tempted to change my avatar to the Mathemagician now.

Prepare to marvel at the mysteries of the universe as I make this remainder... disappear!

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Damn, Cor, you're just cranking these out now. :p

But cool interview. :) And though I haven't seen street fighter, I do love Raul Julia in Addams Family Values.

11. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I always like the Canadian perspective in the Arena.

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Expanding on my previous post, we started this thing weeks ago and I was not the best at giving answers in a timely manner. :p

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How is "You Only Move Twice" not your favourite episode?!

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Excellent

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I know nobody's asking, but I've got a favorite episode: Homer vs. The Eightheen Amendment. Love the prohibition era style of Rex Banner, Moe's turning into a speakeasy, and of course Homer being the Beer Baron.

Also, the shot of Mr. Burns in Moe's, all decked out in fancy 20's-era style clothes, gets me every time.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    "I'll get you, Beer Baron."

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    That interview was too damn short.
    Jazib is in my all time JC top ten. I respect the dude and always enjoy his posts.

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm a cool boss, and an evil Bond villain? I'll take it, but I'm not looking forward to more attention from Ender.

Love you.

Boba_Fett_2001 and Ender Sai like this.
  19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

"No you won't!"

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes I will!

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Jazib, you've always been one of my very favorites... you're one of the greats. One day, I'll finish that JCC novel about you. :p

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

"Won't!"

23. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I love the Simpsons too. I've spent way too much time in Springfield at Universal. Duff beer =P~

DarthTunick likes this.
  24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Nice interview, but too much Simpsons, not enough Jazib.

harpua likes this.
  25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I agree. Slow down a bit, Cor, and take time making each interview unique and highlighting each interviewee properly. I'd rather see good quality interviews coming at a slower pace, than lesser quality interviews being churned out at top speed.