main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC P E O P L E Interviews, Issue LXXI: Master_Lok!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Welcome back to PEOPLE!

For the 71st issue, I wanted to interview someone not so well known throughout the JCC. I was reading in the movies thread when I thought I found my perfect candidate, Master_Lok. Lok, or Kim as she is known in real life, has a deep love of movies, that began when she just a little kid. More recently in her life, she has come to adore the endless possibilities offered by foreign cinema, especially of the Kung Fu or the Italian variety.

So she may not be a “big name” on the JCC, but I hope you’ll read about Lok, anyway, as she is a deeply interesting, knowledgeable, and insightful user, one of the fourm’s hidden gems (hopefully after this interview, not so hidden, anymore). And I know I’ll be watching a lot more movies I never thought I would (or even head of) after this.

My questions are bolded; Lok’s answers are not.

So, how are you doing? Are you nervous? :p

How am I? I am fine, relaxing a bit on my lunch hour.

Nervous, no. It is the internet after all. This place is full of interesting, cool people including Kerr_Plunk, Sarge, Juliet316, Juke Skywalker, A Chorus of Disapproval and so many more. Had this introduction been conducted in real life, I would most likely be one of those deer-in-the-headlights types standing at the podium: "Oh. Wow. So. Many. People.What. Do. I. Say. Next."

I have wicked stage fright, but I was fine screaming into a mic in front of the death metal band I briefly managed. As you can see, I am a paradox: say one thing, do the opposite. My wallet gets particularly annoyed by this.

Now that you know this, how are you doing today?

:p

I am doing fine now I'm off from work. After getting two disjointed hours of sleep, I had to get up early to train some new employees all day. Now I'm home and eating a delicious burrito!

Oh, burritos. Sounds a lot better than the Italian spiced tofu I just ate.

Glad to hear you are doing well too. Right on with the staff training! That has to make you feel good to successfully guide folks through training.

GL with the tofu!

Oh, the tofu wound up in my belly anyway. Tofu is not the Chinese spare ribs I have been fantasizing about for about 3 years now (Haven't eaten red meat, pork or chicken beyond eggs since 1990).

A death metal band? What was it called? What else can you tell us about it?

For those who do not know, Death Metal was an offshoot of Thrash Metal, generally songs about death, the occult, war, horror movies and featuring what became known as Cookie Monster vocals (No, really.) Musically, the instruments were downtuned and it's very, very heavy. Mom calls it "noise where everyone sounds like they're barking or puking."

Anyway, the Death Metal band in question are Immolation. Nice fellas, despite the uninteresting Satanic lyrical slant (this was already old in 1988 when all this happened), but as I mentioned, I was the band's manager at the time and liked to scream along with Obituary. So I took up the mike and people freaked out. They initially thought I was Immolation vocalist Ross Dolan (Sweet guy whose low end growls weren't as deep in the late 80s as they have become). I heard "Holy BLEEP! Is that Ross?" and the band's friends etc. came running in and everyone was digging it. The guys were saying, "You should sing for a Death Metal band," which made me super happy because that music was my escape and outlet, along with schlocky genre movies.

In 1988 it was rare for a woman to be singing screaming in that style. In fact, then popular Death Metal bigwig David Vincent (Morbid Angel) said to me, "How come you don't sing like Doro Pesch?" I said, "Dave, I can't sing. I can scream and I don't like Doro's wimpy music anyway."

Yeah, I was of the Beavis and Butthead metalhead mentality then. Alas, none of this was meant to be; I attempted to join two bands, but my bass playing stunk and the vocalist in one band did not want to split the vocals. To complicate things, my practicing scared the crap out of our neighbors who nearly called the police because they thought I was being attacked. I'll never forget my mom revealing this to me by saying: "Were you growling again?" Well, that killed my career right there.

That is amazing!

Was that the only time you scared the crap out if the neighbors? :p

My scare-the-crap-out-of-the-neighbors days are long over. I release all that angst now with my second longtime love, foreign genre movies.

Wait, your first longtime love was scaring your neighbors or was it something else?

What is your absolute favorite foreign genre movie?

[face_blush] My first long time love was noisy music and genre films (American and then foreign) came shortly thereafter. My dad took me to see everything you shouldn't take a little girl to see, but he exposed me to cult folks and clever comedians such as Pam Grier, John Phillip Law, Caroline Munroe, Peter Sellers and Monty Python so no complaints here.

Favorite foreign genre movie, I can't give one title: I love too many! Even if you say 10 titles, that would be too short a list.

For over 30 years I've been amore with Italian genre films, and about 15 years ago Japan came into the mix, with Hong Kong more recently. The one constant remains my preference for movies from the 60s, 70s and 80s to most current movies (Though 2009 was a great year for Hollywood. We need more funny comedies like The Hangover and Black Dynamite.)

Have you seen any foreign genre films you enjoy?

I'm a fan of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

What is it that you love about foreign and genre films from that time period?

I was very young in the 70s, so I see the 70s in particular as a very surreal, hyper-styled decade. The fashions, the thoughts, the furniture and the men. Beautiful, yet so surreal. Seeing these elements and the whole counterculture movement reflected through various cultures is fascinating. I learned a lot about make up, colors, art, costumes, set design, cinematography and architecture too.

More importantly, some filmmakers cared about the characters and stories as much as the wonderful mainstream movies coming out of Hollywood, so if you looked past the exploitation angle you could find a great message movie or just have fun. Lately, I just want fun and entertaining and many of these movies deliver on that.

The gritty movies were intense, the fantasy and science fiction films really transported you and the horror movies were nuts. You could come out thinking about the theme or elements of what you just saw and not see it as preachy, but simply as a part of the film itself.

So we know about the great landmark films like The Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars, etc... from that time period, but what are some of the much lesser known films, but equally great, from that same era?

Hmmm, I think you stumped me insofar as Hollywood major and independent movies because so many people know the cult favorites and mainstream.

So I'll go foreign here. A note if you're squeamish or easily offended some of these movies might not be for you. I'd say hard R for most, exception for the Mao Ying movies which are PG.

Italy: The Oscar winner for Best Foreign Film, Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1971) - this is a disturbing movie but darkly funny. I didn't realize just how warped this was until I watched it again recently.

Italy: for those who like violent murder mysteries, I can offer up What Have You Done to Solange? (1972). There's a splendid arc for the married couple who are central to the plot too. They grow as a couple which is rare for these kinds of movies.

Hong Kong: I love my Shaw Brothers Studios films, and there were many great films, but I will narrow it down to one Shaw Brothers Studios movie I can easily call masterpiece and not feel all film snob about:

Vengeance! (1970) - In my top three Shaw Brothers productions and one of my all time favorite movies. A stunningly simple revenge epic in which David Chiang avenges the murder of his older brother and then some. It's so beautifully shot, and Chiang is a little demon with those knives. There are beautiful moments amongst that gore and bloodshed (and a lovely romantic interlude for all the young ladies in the audience, or people who tap into their inner teeny bopper). I don't think Chang Cheh ever made a more perfect movie (people mention Five Deadly Venoms, The Blood Brothers, etc.), but Vengeance! is just a great movie in every way. I want a blu ray.

I am ashamed to say I haven't written anything formal about this movie yet, but I cannot wait to dive into it.

Hong Kong: Non-Shaw Brothers

Anything featuring Angela Mao Ying. She's a fantastic martial artist and fun to watch as she mows through bad guys. My personal favorites are Broken Oath (1977) and When Tae Kwon Do Strikes (1974). I sheepishly admit I thought she was pretty one note for a while until I realized just what a talented performer she was. If you want to see a woman kick tremendous amounts of tush and do it tastefully, Mao Ying is the absolute bomb. Mao Ying's movies are not bloody with an occasional moment or three of risqué business, but the two I mention here aren't so bad (nudity at the beginning of Broken Oath) but nothing else.

Spain: Zombie lovers if you haven't seen The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue (a.k.a. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie) it's a brilliantly scary tweak on George Romero's Night of the Living Dead with a unique subplot. If you're familiar with Lucio Fulci or George Romero's zombie films from this decade, you know what to expect with the gore. Of all the movie fan sites I ran for over a decade, I was pretty proud of the little site that compared Sleeping Corpses lead to MacReady.

As you can probably see, I love my movies. They are my oxygen, and I appreciate being able to jump from fandom to fandom because of great new characters. I go in circles though and keep coming back to favorite characters and films from 40 years of being into this stuff.

Wow! I have to check all of these out!

I know this is going to be very hard, but what one film would you implore all JCCers to watch RIGHT. NOW?

If you don't have an aversion to subtitles, gore and slow motion: Vengeance!

So you've watched a lot Kung Fu movies, but do you know Kung Fu yourself, Neo? :p

Sadly, no. It would be amazing if I could just get Neo's hook up and know several styles of Kung Fu and speak Chinese instantly. Part of my intense fondness for the older martial arts movies is the real life training some performers went through.

I am considering a martial art, however with my arthritis and other physical "fun", I will need Wolverine's healing factor first.

I hope you get better, and heal fast! :)

So you know Pen Fu, apparently! What's the thing you're proudest of having written?

Thank you for the healing vibes. Oh yeah...pen fu Recently, the Ti Lung Birthday article for the official Shaw Brothers site. I think my best is yet to come.

I think so, too!

Who is that in your avatar?

Ti Lung. I will most likely change to another Ti character soon.

Oh, you changed yours! I have seen raccoons with the night eyes. They are intense animals, cute but feral. So what brings you to JCC? Beyond Star Wars, I like being able to shoot the breeze about pizza, tattoos, movies and be nice & cranky about Marvel comics and their movies.

Hey, I'll do the asking of the questions here! :p

(but, seriously, in reply to your question, I initially signed up for the messageboard experience, I just liked the idea of having a username, an avatar, and being in online conversations)

PIZZA! What pizza do you like?

Oh well, as someone who is used to interviewing people sooner or later I start asking questions.

PIZZA I'm a crust and sauce woman myself. I think I'd adore the Southern N.J. or Philly for their tomato pies. That said, I can't say no to some well done cheese on a slice unless the slice is buried under cheese, then no. A little cheese on my pizza, sure. Veggies are nice (hold the olives, please.)

What's your go-to slice?

Pepperoni, like the simpleton that I am. :p

And, aaaah, you're turning the tables on me!

You sound like a fan of minimalism, KISS, would you say that's true?

Oh, pepperoni. When I ate red meat and pork, I loved pepperoni, especially when the little slices would curl up into a cup and you'd get this charred meat on your pizza. Gosh, now I want some. Or Chinese spare ribs. Lots of Chinese spare ribs.
    [face_laugh] it took me a good 10 minutes to realize that KISS was Keep It Simple Stupid. Because for awhile there, I was thinking how on earth did Cor know I was a KISS fan back in the 70s (not since then.)

Okay. Minimal, in many respects yes. I guess that comes down to I know what I like and stick with it. Although my living and works spaces are bland as hell. White and beige.

Are you like a Cylon? Do you see all sorts of things on what otherwise looks like a blank surface to other people?

LOL. If and when my budget ever allows, my living and work spaces will be much more colorful, but you put it so nicely, seeing things that others do not see in blank spaces. It must be the Apple Geek in me or, um, Cylon.

Alright, let's talk a little SW. I think that in this forum, people want to know where you stand on five key issues: the OT, the Special Editions, the PT, the EU, and Episode 7. What are your opinions on each? What do you think about everything written after ROTJ no longer being canon?

Sure. BTW, my name comes from the proto-type Sith Daegen Lok from the sadly ended too soon Dawn of the Jedi series. Daegen was the first Sithy character I ever liked. Anyway, the movies... Love,love, love Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. RoTJ is okay (but even as a little girl I disliked cute animals / characters playing for young ones attentions). Special Editions: probably not a surprise but Han Shot First. The digital Jabba inserted into that one scene didn't work for me. I honestly don't remember anything from the other ST except a bit more gore for the wampa in ESB and Hayden being inserted into RoTJ. I appreciate when filmmakers want to tinker and release a director's cut etc., but I won't flip my lid over this because I honestly do not remember the SE. Don't think I've seen these versions for 15 years. Prequels: Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi was terrific, he made those films for me. I also like his bird-lizard mount in Revenge of the Sith. Liam was pretty cool as Qui-Gon (I went to the premiere of TPM as Qui-Gon, sadly that costume went bye-bye some years ago) and I dig Darth Maul these days. I am not a fan of Ms. Portman (though I liked Amidala in TPM) and do not think she or Hayden had chemistry. I am probably among the group that wanted to see Vader as an adult rather than a child, but I understand why Lucas approached it that way. EU: Outside of the Dawn of the Jedi comic series, I purposely stayed away after the Zahn trilogy. I was a big Luke fan (still am), but never liked Mara Jade. The only thing I am miffed about in losing the EU was Dark Horse's abrupt cancellation of titles (including my beloved DoTJ as John and Jan were in the midst of the 4th volume when they got the news.) As much as we rant and rave, Disney is going to do what they are going to do. And on that note, disliked The Force Awakens. I like John Boyega and was expecting Finn to something other than what he was. But the biggest sticking point was Rey and the force usage. For me, writing-wise it was a serious disappointment. I won't rip J.J. another new one, but I hope Rogue One will make me feel like I am watching a Star Wars movie again. EU: well, it's a disappointment even if I didn't read or follow much, but Disney / LFL wants things their own way. I haven't read anything books or comics, really do not feel the need to. But then I've always been like this with every fandom. I don't need to read, see or know or everything. I stick with what I love and if more great things are added, hey, wonderful. If not, that's okay too. I am realizing a lot of what I grew up with is not the same which is why I seek something similar in other fandoms now. I will always love the first two Star Wars films and this community is wonderful.

argh, no spaces! sorry <

Fantastic answers!

How do you think Rey could have been improved, as a character?

A few ways, 1) by giving her character more dimension and while I understand the mindmeld (hey that's Star Trek!) to an extent,2) the sudden awakening of Force powers was very sloppy to me. I think they could have handled this in a much more organic way and without the anything he can I do, I can do better schtick.

Part of the reason why I love the old genre movies is the women and girls were simply a part of their universes and acted or reacted accordingly (Hi Leia!). Their gender was often secondary to what needed to be done, or if it was used, it was done in a way that felt true to the character and the story. I was hoping Rey would be more like Leia, but I don't know what happened there.

That is my I want lots-of-character in my characters crank. And it is unfortunate because I think Daisy, John and Oscar are very talented actors, the material and direction was not there for me.

So, you mentioned you were a KISS fan in the 70s... did you ever dress up? :p

Yup. Ace Frehley one Halloween (I think 1979), and for some reason, Paul Stanley, at the concert I went to. I didn't like Paul but we were limited to black, white and red, no silver make up and my boyfriend was Peter. I always was a fan of Ace & Peter and I loved Vinnie Vincent's Neo-Egyptian wizard Ankh design. Of all their make ups, I think VV's was the best. Very much in the super hero / magical realm.

Is it too much to ask for pictures? :D

Don't have any. :( The Ace was pretty great, I think it was based on the Kiss Alive costume with the Saturn rings underneath the armpits. The one costume I miss the most was the Battle of the Planets / G-Force Mark cosplay my mom made for me in 1980. How the heck she did the beak on the plastic police helmet she converted is anyone's guess but I remember wearing that costume until I the helmet was destroyed. Probably my most favorite of any cosplay I did. Though if I went as a G Force member now it would be Princess in her civilian gear, love those striped bellbottoms.

Sadly, no pictures of any make ups I've done. Maybe, if I get back into it, I'll post some of my amateur make ups.

What other cosplays have you done?

Well, Luke (4th grade) and Qui-Gon. Snake Plissken. Rob Zombie (which went hilariously south when I tried to eat). For me, cosplaying as men is more fun because it's a full transformation and I enjoy being completely unrecognizable when I cosplay. There's a few Shaw Brothers characters I'd love to try, but I'd have to pay someone else do the wigs and costumes, so perhaps in the future some time. I love that cosplay has become its own thing. There are good and bad elements of course, but it boggles my mind how talented people are. I love seeing that. To me, it is a wonderful extension of fandom. My frustrated craftsperson / artist talking...

So you obviously enjoy a good transformation... have you acted in stuff?

Nothing formal, no, but I was supposed to be an extra in a western Enzo Castellari never got off the ground. He was trying to reunite with Franco Nero for almost a decade, but even 15 years ago finances for Italian movies had long dried up. I, of course, lost my stuff when Enzo invited me as I was ridiculously big fan of Castellari's work then (and I still am). Enzo's molto bene in my book. It was a wonderful few years being in contact with him.

You knew him personally? What was he like?

Enzo Castellari is a lovely, lovely man. Big hearted. Nothing like the person who directed the harrowing, vicious and horrifically violent The Big Racket.

He truly enjoyed making movies and wanted to make more. I know he was grateful that Tarantino opened up those possibilities for awhile. I love his work withFabio Testi and Franco, so when I told him about this Enzo was tickled that I was so passionate about his work.

We spoke on the phone and emailed each other for a few years (he initially contacted me through eBay, of all places), but we lost touch around 2008. I interviewed him a couple of times during that period. Our relations were limited but when we connected, it was terrific. I would love to see him direct one more film with Fabio and Franco. Nothing but nice things to say about Enzo.

What other filmmakers have you known and interviewed over the years?

Enzo was the sole ongoing contact, but I also interviewed Sam Raimi (very nice!), John Carpenter (cool, we talked while he was prepping Escape from L.A., which naturally made my inner Snake Plissken fan squee), and Clive Barker who was fantastic. Of these interviews, I felt I connected most deeply with Clive, such a deep thinker and an artist (beyond the literal sense. He loves to create).Clive was my favorite author at the time and I still think of that phone conversation as one of the most rewarding interviews I conducted for my print and eventually online magazine, Pharr Out!

NOTE: PO! is long since defunct.

You could give me tips, probably!

What's the key to doing a good interview, in your opinion?

Naaaah. You do fantastic with these JCC interviews: your curiosity and thoughtfulness lead to some wonderful conversations. :) You follow the lead of your subjects' responses. Tips: If you're going to interview someone you admire, knowing their filmography, their influences, their music catalog etc. always helps. I'd also say for famous folks, research other interviews. If your piece is geared toward a specific project, dig deeper and see if you can compare or contrast this current project to past work. If you do not ask the same questions everyone else does, you'll have a nice interview. Unless you're stuck in a press junket and have to fight to get a thoughtful question in.

What inspired you to start interviewing folks here at the JCC?

Seriously, I was just asking FamousAmos a bunch of annoying questions on evening when he asked, jokingly, if I was going to publish his answers in some kind of e-exclusive. Thus, PEOPLE was born! :p

And thank you!

Would you rather have...

All the answers or mystery?

Mystery

Music or the internet?

Music

Tyrannical government or utter anarchy?

Neither

Movies or everything else? :p

Movies

Sweet or salty?

Salty

Writing or reading?

Writing

Afterlife or immortality?

Immortality

Puppies or kittens?

Kittens of course.

Movies but no candy?! For all eternity?! Do you realize what you've done?

Although, you'll always have popcorn...

LOL...Don't tell me my choice sent the Earth off its axis...

Mmmmmmm...pop...corn.

So you've been on the JCC for a while now... which user(s) do you think could be straight out of a 70s Kung Fu film?

Outside of myself? Hmmm... probably Diggy (he's got that funky fighting spirit), Sarge (weapons master) and A Chorus of Disapproval whose intelligent barbs make me think there's a fighting scholar underneath that Village of the Damned Avatar.

Well, of course, what about yourself?

Oh, Sure. Naturally, I'd be in a Shaw Brothers production, preferably directed by Sun Chung. In Sun's movies you have to be as psychologically adept at mental kung fu as physical fighting.

Mental kung fu? :p

Mental Kung Fu is usually reserved for Taoists and scholars in these movies, but it's not just math, magical riddles or patterns. You have to be able to read between the lines and outthink your opponents. My favorite character of this type is Rong-Er, the female lead of the Brave Archer series.

Alas, it's not someone going mental while performing kung fu.

Ah, not what I hoped, then. :p

Speaking of mental... what are the things that drive you absolutely mental?

Worst: would be my own self sabotaging: after almost 10 years at the job my attitude
    is starting to fail and it is catching up to me. I know what is causing it which means I have work extra hard now to rebuild the relations with my supervisor. I won't say anything more than this.
    Everything else is little stuff, mostly how rude people are on the commute etc.

Say no more! I completely get it.

Let's get back to some movie talk...

For each genre, name one relatively unknown gem.

Horror? - Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (2013). I love Italian giallos and this was just a weird riff on them. Hits all the right classic Dario Argento notes and then some; but it can be super frustrating with no resolution. Still, it's weird and a bit unsettling. Hard R for some violent imagery.

Suspense? The People's Hero (1987). Excellent Hong Kong crime film about two young kids who try to rob the same bank master criminal Sonny Koo is about to hit. You never know what Koo is going to do. I'd love a blu ray of this movie. It's one of the best movies I've watched from any country in several years.

Drama? - I'd vouch for The People's Hero here as well, but I guess that's cheating. Everyone knows The King's Speech but I felt that was excellent. I do not watch much drama that isn't from Hong Kong these days.

Comedy? -If you haven't seen Black Dynamite (2009), rent that. Dead on spoof of blaxploitation (think Dolemite, Shaft and Foxy Brown but really, really funny.) If you're easily offended, then you should probably skip as this plays up stereotypes so hard.
    Adventure? - Three Kingdoms Resurrection of the Dragon (2008) - It's romance of the three kingdoms lite in which we follow Andy Lau''s character rough his life as he becomes the fifth tiger general (after Guan Yu and Zhang Fei etc.) Maggie Q co-stars as his enemy. I've been fond of Guan Yu for some time (no I don't play Smite) so it was a double epiphany to come across an older but just as deadly Guan Yu. It is not the best movie with this source material, but it's fun and you get to see an older Sammo Hung and Ti Lung get some fighting in.

Have you participated in the JCC's Saturday Movie Night?

Not yet.

Do you appreciate a good bad movie? :p

Yup. Schlock is fun (and not just John Landis / Rick Baker movie from 1971.)

What's the best schlocky movie?

Mr. Vampire (1985) preferably with the English dub. Saw that 16 years ago and am still LMAO. Sadly, it is not readily available.

For stuff that is available, Enzo Castellari's science fiction Mad Max / Escape from New York films are terrible. I think JCC Watches Movies covered one of them, but Escape from the Bronx and the New Barbarians... yikes.

Or really the bulk of the movies Mystery Science Theatre 3000 made fun of, oh to be in that audience with Tom Servo, Crow and Joel.

What else do you do for recreation? Or just to "de-stressify?"

Besides, writing articles about people and movies I love, writing fiction, watching movies, researching cultures through history and food, dipping my toes in several fandoms and being an Apple geek crank?
    Walking, making people laugh, reading about food and occasional recipe testing. The kitchen has been a great creative outlet when writer's block hits.

List every fandom you've dipped toes in!

Godzilla

Planet of the Apes

Star Wars

Kiss (I suppose though I never joined the Kiss Army)

Battle of the Planets / G - Force / Gotchaman (whatever you want to call them).

Marvel comics (Wolverine, Moon Knight, Maverick, Winter Soldier)

DC comics (Green Arrow and Aquaman)

a variety of metal and hardcore bands which started with Black Sabbath and the Plasmatics in 1980 and pretty much has stopped with Bolt Thrower (R.I.P.), Memoriam UK and Asphyx.

John Carpenter (especially his work with Kurt Russell)

Apple (yes, despite the crap they're releasing lately, I'm an Apple user and reformed Apple geek. And if they resurrect my hacked phone, it will confirm my geekiness.)

Italian genre films and directors (spaghetti westerns, giallos, police, horror and the work of Enzo Castellari and Dario Argento)

Asian films (Japanese Samurai films and now China / Hong Kong, most specifically Shaw Brothers films and director Sun Chung. Fave performers are Ti Lung and Chan Wai Man.)

How did you become an Apple geek?

Was flirting with graphic design in the mid 90s after my sweet graphic designer was annoyed by my constant art direction and suggestions while he was designing my magazine (Pharr Out!). He said "you should learn how to do this." So Macs were the designers' computer of choice back then and I fell in love with how easy they were to use. That's what I love about Apple, the ease of use. Sadly, that is not always the case now, the products may look beautiful, but do they work beautifully? But I am hanging in...

Your magazine sounds like it was interesting... could you show us a picture of a copy? What was it about?

LOL...um, I don't have photos or scans anymore. You can see some of the remains of the online version of Pharr Out through the internet way back machine and looking up the name Pharr Out!*

Anyway, Pharr Out! was simply me being geeky about John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Star Wars, spaghetti westerns and comics. I suppose it was more of an insular version of Starlog or something on a much lower budget.

*Sorry for the no pictures for you or links. I just got hit with the delightful Yahoo email hack which killed my phone and my newer iMac so I am skittish about providing links anywhere. If you think Mulder is paranoid, I own him on that right now.

Ok, sometimes I do this and it's kind of wacky, but I like to see the result...

For this question, ask yourself a question, and then answer it! :p

Q. What is the air speed velocity of an unladen Swallow?

A. African or European Swallow?

If that's cheat (famous Q&A from Monty Python and the Holy Grail), I'll submit this.

Q. How you can eat eggs but not chicken?
    A. I cry fowl.

Monty Python fan, I see. Which film of theirs is your favorite? And have you ever talked to or interviewed any of them?

Holy Grail, of course.
    Sadly, no. If I could somehow speak to Graham Chapman, I most certainly would.

Who do you admire? Why?

If I were to look beyond my mom who has survived some pretty rough stuff as a single parent raising three not quite healthy children.
    It would be now retired :( Oscar Winning special FX make up artist Rick Baker. Rick is a pure example of doing what you love and being a great mentor to up-and-coming talent. His imagination is boundless and he is a kindly, generous person. For me, Rick Baker FX = movie magic.

What are some of the movies Rick Baker has worked on?

An American Werewolf in London, Harry & The Hendersons, Ed Wood, The Nutty Professor, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Coming To America, The Nutty Professor. . He was Dick Smith's assistant on The Exorcist, and provided many of the creatures who populate the Mos Eisley cantina in some movie called Star Wars.

Give us your review of the Jedi Council Forums!

Glorious chatter from the Galaxy Far, Far Away and some rock known as Earth. Humor, hysteria, food, drink, comics, movies, tv and tales of ordinary catness. All this and more. What else could a fan girl or guy ask for? In other words, a tight knit community of folks who are smart, sassy and silly in all the right ways. As C-3PO would say, "Wonnnderfulll!"

Thanks once again for reading! And thank you so very much to Kim for agreeing to participate.

Kim might make a post shortly. If you liked her answers and participation in this interview, please Like that post.

If you were a PEOPLE interviewee in the past and you saved your issue, please let me know. Otherwise, old issues from before the big move will be restored by going the (very) long way around.

Past Issues

1. FamousAmos
    2. Darth_Ignant
    3. FareLenore
    4. Mortimer_Snerd
    5. Darth_Deception
    6. Albert_Normandy
    7. Darth_Snowball*
    8. PhilipWise
    9. Everton*
    10. Quixotic-Sith*
    11. DarthTunick*
    12. KnightWriter*
    13. gabe*
    14. Coruscant*
    15. rhonderoo / Kavic_Toth*
    16. Katya_Jade*
    17. harpuah I*
    18. VadersLaMent*
    19. George_Roper*
    20. Handmaiden_Yane*
    21. solojones I*
    22. jp-30*
    23. GrandAdmiralJello*
    24. Earwen and Skye Lightrider*
    25. Souderwan*
    26. harpuah II*
    27. AaylaSecurOWNED*
    28. TheGuardianofArlon*
    29. PulsarSkate*
    30. Eeth-my-Koth*
    31. dp4m*
    32. MASTERPRENN*
    33. Grimby the Hutt*
    34. s65horsey*
    35. Esperanza_Nueva*
    36. Errant_Venture*
    37. harpuah III*
    38. Darth_Guy
    39. JediYvette
    40. solojones II*
    41. SLR*
    42. Whitey*
    43. imperial_dork*
    44. AmazingB*
    45. Miana Kenobi*
    46. JoinTheSchwarz*
    47. Armenian_Jedi*
    48. darth_boy*
    49. ApolloSmileGirl
    50. tom
    51. Jabba-wocky
    52. Zapdos
    53. Kyle Katarn
    54. Healer_Leona
    55. I Are The Internets
    56. Ramza
    57. Rogue1-and-a-half
    58. Admiral Volshe
    59. Lord Vivec
    60. Jabbadabbado
    61. anakinfansince1983
    62. slightly_unhinged
    63. mrsvos
    64. Darth Punk
    65. Boba_Fett_2001
    66. LostOnHoth
    67. Juliet316
    68. Shira A'dola
    69. TahiriVeilaSolo69
    70. ophelia

*unrestored

~Coruscant

Point Given , ophelia, Sarge and 7 others like this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Um...big time thank you Nick for approaching me. As one of many, many, many interesting and lovely fans here, I do not know how you decided on me. Unless, of course you employed Taoist magic (you can say it was the Force, I won't mind). Now could you please absolve my guilt for my liking a post about me? But please do not send me up a thousand stairs with water filled buckets in tow.

If you ever decide to go into journalism or reporting Nick, you've got many of the qualifications a great journalist needs. Thank you again.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Very very nice interview, both of you. Thanks for the shout out at the beginning Master_Lok!

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Serif?
    Are we getting literary ambitions, Cor?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Master_Lok I've had this up on a wall in my bedroom for awhile now, figure you'll get a kick out of it:

[​IMG].

Love that you're enjoying the JC! :D

Master_Lok, Juliet316 and SuperWatto like this.
  6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Never got the death metal thing. Great interview though.

Master_Lok likes this.
  7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Dangit, what font are you seeing? Even after using Remove Formatting... [face_frustrated]

Master_Lok and SuperWatto like this.
  8. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Copy the whole thing in WordPad, select it, copy it, and paste it.
    Or interview Leoluca next.

9. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    President of what?

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Great interview!

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Woohoo! #2 on the namedrop list! I'm moving up in the world! Or at least the JCC, but isn't that pretty much the same thing? Thanks, MLok!

As for this 70's kung fu movie that I'm in, can I be the kind of weapons master who makes fun of the way weapons masters in movies do stupid things with their weapons? Cuz I'd totally do that, if it was that kind of movie.

Oh, edit to add, I though you were cool even before Cor made you famous.

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Great interview, Cor! And nice to hear more from you, Master_Lok! I've seen you around the forums, but I never felt I got to know you until now. :)

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Does Taco Bell give you a decent employee discount or did you have to pay full price for the burrito?

Great interview. I've seen Lok around but never got to know her. Some takeaways for me.

High five for dressing up like KISS. I was Peter Kris's in 1981.

A friend of the family used to be married to a well known death metal singer. Real nice fella. All that growling and he's a pussycat.

Love G-force and Godzilla. Two of my faves from youth.

Clive Barker is such an interesting fella. I'd like to chat with him someday. I'd also like to see him make a better Cabal/nightbreed flick.

Master_Lok likes this.
  14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Nice interview. Always good to get to another fellow jccer.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No namedrop = ban
    Talking of Spanish horror movies and not mentioning Jess Franco or Paul Naschy = permban

Master_Lok likes this.
  16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh] You are there in spirit sir.

I am not a Franco or Rollins fan for that matter (yes, I know, French)... Naschy? I've seen and they are ridiculously schlocky (also harder to find now).

For me, it was either Grau or De Ossorio and Grau won the toss. But then, the Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue is my absolute favorite Zombie movie so...I suppose in addition to my permaban you'll hit me over the head with a shovel making my permaban = perma complete. :cool: Promptly hides behind Ray Lovelock.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    *grumble* What about the Fantastic Factory stuff? You a fan? Faust: Love of the Damned, Dagon, Beyond Re-Animator...

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

I may have seen Dagon and Beyond Re-Animator but my memory is for fluff these days; Italy is my go-to country for European genre films with Britain still lurking in the shadows. [face_dunno]

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I won't deny that No profanar el sueño de los muertos is masterful, though.

Master_Lok likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    \m/ \m/ for the death growls.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Master_Lok like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    As a fellow Apple geek, I'll give them this- some of their stuff just will not die. My iPod from 2004 still works despite having been dropped at least 1000 times over the past 12 years, and despite having fallen into puddles at least 100 times. (what can I say, I'm clumsy :p )

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Great interview. I'm always reading your movie reviews, Kim. I feel like I know a lot about movies, but in your chosen genres, your breadth of knowledge is really astonishing for me, especially since I know nothing about the things you know about. I feel like you should have some kind of website dedicated to your genres of choice. You seem like a real expert.

Master_Lok likes this.
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

O:) Immense respect right back at you Rogue1-and-a-half. You are one of the most open minded movie-goers I've come across in a very long while and I always read your reviews no matter the movie. I truly appreciate how you discuss character and what worked / what didn't. You have the film critic's mind. When I get into a type of movie, director, actor, I throw myself into the deep without a life jacket. I've had fan sites for many years, but the upkeep is proving too much right now. So instead I write for two sites including the official Shaw Brothers site (links in my signature). Very kind of you. :)

and I've enjoyed your food reviews - I try not to read those when I am hungry. Very lovely interview you did with Cor too. You are a keen observer and, like so many here, big hearted and so very smart.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.