main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga P.S. I love you--A pre-Endor Rogue Squadron fic--vignette 31

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    "Mail call."

That was an unusual thing to hear, even in Rogue Squadron, where everyone from Luke to Tycho seemed to get either fanmail or love letters from other members of the Rebellion.

"Who's it for, boss?" Wes called before sniffing the air deliberately to find out if there were cookies involved.

Usually, this would cause Luke to retreat to the other side of the room for the safety of the package, but he just grinned this time.

"You, actually," he explained.

Wes whooped in delight, then yanked the box free of Luke's grasp.

"Who's it from?" Wedge asked curiously.

Wes frowned at the plain wrapping as if it could tell him just that, despite having no return information.

"I'm not sure," he admitted.

"Well, then, you shouldn't open it," Hobbie reasoned. "It might be an explosive of some kind."

No one dignified this theory with a response.

"You didn't tell us you have a girlfriend," Luke teased. "I thought I caught a whiff of perfume off of that."

"Naw," Wes sighed. "My girl would smell like engine grease."

There was a collective sigh of agreement and he took that moment to rip the paper off the box. Underneath, there were even fewer markings, so he pried the lid open and stared.

"How..."

"An explosive," Hobbie guessed again.

"An old girlfriend," Wedge suggested.

"It's from my Mom," Wes corrected with a grin.

Without another word, he extracted something that looked suspiciously the color of brightgum and the consistency of a miniature Wookiee and shoved it on his head.

It probably went without saying that only a Janson would think to send her grown son a pink, fuzzy hat.

"She remembered!"

"What?" Wedge stammered. "You've got a pink fetish?"

It probably stemmed from his fascination with the intrepid adventurer known to them only as Stacey. They hadn't exactly gotten to know her, but from the way Janson talked about her, they had a pretty clear holo in their minds.

"No," Wes cooed almost affectionately, hugging the box to his chest. "She remembered my birthday tomorrow."

They all exchanged glances, some wondering what kind of mother would be this cruel and others wondering the same thing that security would want to know.

"How did she find you here?" Luke asked. "Have you been sending her your base locations?"

Wes shook his head, the tassels on his pink cap swinging vigorously. "She always seems to track me down. Last year, she sent something through one of the cells on Raltiir."

"Well, how'd she find you this year?" Wedge asked.

He extracted a bag full of cookies, then an extra toothbrush and a letter. All in all, it did seem to be a typical package from any mother.

"Dear Wessy," he read without a single note of embarrassment in his voice. "Happy birthday, pookie..."

"Pookie?" Hobbie snorted.

"Pookie," Wes confirmed, not seeming to notice that there was something funny about the term of endearment. "Cousin Miea thinks that you might be on Hoth, so I'm sending this here because even if you're not there, someone else might be cold or can pass it on to you from there."

It was logical enough. After all, they were on Hoth.

"I hope you're keeping warm and have met a nice girl that you can bring home next time you visit."

"Have you visited lately?" Wedge asked.

"Not since I entered the Academy," Wes said with a slight frown.

"Well, then, that gives you plenty of time to find a nice girl," Luke suggested. "I know a few..."

"What's the frown for?" Wedge asked.

"Cousin Miea," he said reflectively. "I thought she was with Imperial Intelligence..."

2. jasa

jasa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    "pookie" :p

3. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    Hehe. Oops.

4. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    First thought: "Jayne, the man they call Jayne!" and his hat.

2nd thought: Stacey! Pink 5!

3rd thought: So THAT is how the Empire found them on Hoth. :p

5. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Great vig Ish! I loved it from start to finish.

"She remembered!"

"What?" Wedge stammered. "You've got a pink fetish?"

LOL! Oh this got me laughing so hard. It reminds me so much of friends of mine and things we might say.

And the Pink-5 reference was just perfect. :D :D

"Cousin Miea," he said reflectively. "I thought she was with Imperial Intelligence..."

Oops! Well, it's good that they got a heads up I guess. Wonderful! Great job.

Cheers,
    Wyo

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    LOL! Loved that, Ish. Pookie, eh? And uh, oh. Cousin Meia? Hmm, maybe she's a double agent?

7. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006

Hee, Hee. That one was good! I love your punch lines.

8. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    [face_laugh] That was fantastic! I was definitely thinking about Jayne and his hat the whole time, so I hope that was intentional. :p

And the last line was hilarious.

Keep up the great work! :D

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    jasa--What? Is that funny? ;)

reagan64--Oops indeed. LOL.

SpiritofEowyn--Exactly where I got the inspiration. Yes, you caught the reference to our favorite valley girl. And that finding makes a lot more sense than all that crap about a probe droid.

WyoJedi--Thanks, Wyo! You must have interesting friends. I liked putting in Stacey just because it was an Oblique Reference to end all Oblique References. :) Yes, good heads-up, but still not a good situation.

RK_Striker_JK_5--Nope, not everyone can be Winter! Thanks!

talkingbanana--LOL, thanks a lot! I so love Jayne and the "pretty cunning" hat. It was very intentional. Glad you liked the last line.

Araxie--Glad you still like my punchlines. Thanks!

10. holdout_trout

holdout_trout Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2006
    This was awesome! Yeay for Oblique References! I got the Jayne reference as soon as he frowned down at the package...mostly 'cause I just watched Firefly recently, I'm sure.

I must find out more about this Stacey person...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.