main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

p2h scene early edit - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DevonRead, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DevonRead

DevonRead Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2004
    http://www.clearconcrete.com/p2h/

Two files - the sor3 file requires QuickTime 5 or later, the h264 file only works on Macs with QuickTime 7 (twice the resolution)

Input?

Already noted: streaks filter looks too "flashbacky" and color correction is too bright in some areas to see a lot of detail, both will be toned down; of the few visual effects rendered, the two most noticeable are the explosions, i'd like your feedback on these, they are up-rezed SD explosion footage and i think the up-rezing is a little... well... "see-able"

Thanks

Also, if there are any 3d artists out there lookin for some work to chomp on, we're still looking for more help - devon@clearconcrete.com for info

2. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    i liked the video style, it was very movie like. Explosions, i dont know what to do but it seemed fake. Maybe there shouldnt be flames or something, more dust blowing up, small rock stuff and such things, or then orange nice flames, i dont know. What camera u used? It was really movie looking.

3. DevonRead

DevonRead Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2004
    Great idea about using more dust, less flames - sometimes you don't see the forest for the trees - I knew there was something seriously "off" about it and that helps alot man

It was shot on Sony's professional HDV camera, the HDR-Z1U at 1080 50i - for the final I'll be using shake 4's to deinterlace the whole thing optically so those irritating interlacing lines will be gone, thank god

Glad you appreciated the look, it's important

4. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    Hey Devon, this is Fig from the 2k boards.

The thing that bothers me most about this footage is that, for all the music editing and color correcting, it's lacking intensity. Maybe have the trooper scream when, you know, he blows up. There's guys next to him, get some screams there, too. Maybe the rest of it will fall into place with the blaster bolts being added in.

Also, ease up on the vertical blurring, it's disorienting. If you're going for a Saving Private Ryan look, it's halfway there, and on the right track...but it doesn't really emulate anything I've ever seen in a movie, and I can't imagine a lens giving that effect. Dunno what you were shooting for, though.

Also, when the mandalorian guy goes down in the end, he needs to...die faster. From the way it's cut, apparently there's some big moment right there...but even so, that's a lot of him just sitting there looking like he's dying.

Over all, great look, good work.

5. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    Just to let you know the h264 version works on the PC too. I'm watching it, and it looks pretty.

Ok my thoughts:

Yeah, the interlacing makes it look crappy. Also, muzzle flashes would be good, (or blaster bolts, whatever)
    Sound needs a lot of work too. The music is a bit overpowering, not sure if that intentional. But I can't understand what anyone is saying. Parts of it do look overexposed or washed out, but you already know that too. Pretty much everything everyone said. Too many sparks in the explosions.

Looks sexy though

[face_plain]

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Waaaaait waitwaitwait. Is Boba Fett running away like a girly-man?! AW HELL NAW

Regardless, very good look. The explosions toward the beginning were the only things that gave me trouble, and I don't think it's an uprezzing issue... I think it's just the color. The purpleness of the tinge is not part of the color pallete "in-camera", so to speak.

So, I know it's a time-overhonored question to ask about fan films bearing the PTH name, but got a release date in mind? :D

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001

Will Smith has been rubbing off on you.

[face_plain]

8. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    beafet posted on 9/17/05 11:09am
    Will Smith has been rubbing off on you. [hr][/blockquote] Can't be - we at the FBI have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

[image=http://www.cosenascoste.com/mib/mib.jpg]

On topic, that footage looks awesome. I concur with the above suggestions - hope to see more from you guys soon! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.