main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padawan/ Jedi/ Sith beginnings always involve a death

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by i_dont_know, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    The Phantom Menace:

Qui-Gon dies -- arguably the event that makes Anakin a Padawan.
    Darth Maul dies -- Obi-Wan becomes a Jedi Knight by defeating him.

Attack of the Clones:

Shmi dies -- This is the beginning of Anakin's descent to the darkside.

Revenge of The Sith:

Dooku dies -- Anakin becomes Sidious's unofficial apprentice by killing him.
    Mace Windu is killed, and the "Palpatine persona" dies -- Anakin becomes a Sith
    Padme dies -- Anakin "dies", truely becoming Vader

A New Hope

Owen and Beru are killed -- Luke decides to join Obi-Wan, because there is no longer anything left for him on Tatooine.
    Obi-Wan is "killed" by Vader -- Obi-Wan "adds his strength" to Luke's.

These three deaths start Luke on his journey to becoming a Jedi.

Return of the Jedi

Luke basically sacrifices himself by refusing to fight Vader and Sidious. Sidious attempts to kill him, but Vader simultaneously kills Sidious, and "kills" the Vader persona. He also kills Anakin, who has just returned. Through all these events, Luke becomes a true jedi.

Discuss

2. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    :eek:

REAL observant, are you?

3. erjosito

erjosito Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2005

First of all, in the case of the Sith, it is obvious why any new master or apprentice must be related to the death. "Two of them there are, no more, no less".

In the case of the Jedi, there were countless padawan before Anakin that did not become so necessarily with a death. In the Jedi line the PT deals with (Qui-Gong, Obi-Wan and Anakin), you could argue that the deaths hurried up the course of events, and possibly caused the fact that Obi-Wan was not prepared to take a padawan, nor Anakin to become a Jedi.

4. MickyJedi

MickyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    All people are touched by death, expecially when the ones who die are relatives or people they love. But also a enemy's or a stranger's death may be touching. I think it's human nature.

5. i_dont_know

Aug 6, 2005
    I was thinking this when I posted, but don't you find it interesting that this isn't technically a solely Sith trait? To become a Jedi apprentice (in the movies) always involves a death, just like the Sith. The Sith just usually directly cause it :)

Yes, but I'm only going on what is in the movies. The Jedi Lucas chose to show becoming Jedi/ Padawans were always partly motivated by the death of someone close (Anakin - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan - Qui-Gon, Luke - Obi-Wan).

[/quote]

This doesn't conflict with anything I said. Obi-Wan wasn't ready, but he took Anakin as an apprentice anyway.

Good post

6. i_dont_know

Aug 6, 2005
    (BUMP)

I need more feedback peoples!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.