main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padawan Kenobi v. Maul

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by skatalite, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skatalite

skatalite Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    My friends and I have always been strictly d6, and since many of the d20 books offer greater insight into the w's of Star Wars role playing, I was wondering something:

Have they ever explained how Kenobi, as a Padawan, defeated Maul?
    And if not, what's your opinion on the matter?

Please feel free to discuss stats in d6 or d20 form. I want to look at this strictly from a gaming perspective.

2. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Kenobi had surprise, and used Concentration, and used a Force Point.

Similarly, Luke had Concentration and a Force Point to take out the Death Star.

I don't know how D20 runs that situation.

3. skatalite

skatalite Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Not a bad suggestion, but what about the length of time between Kenobi's leap over Maul, landing, igniting and cutting?

Maul just stood there. How would you explain that?

4. Padawan_John

Padawan_John Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    When Kenobi fell down the pit, it ended the Combat. When Kenobi leapt from the pit, Maul failed a Sense Motive check, allowing Kenobi to act as in a Suprise round. He then won initiative, and rolled a Critical Hit on Maul.

Bickity.

Bickity.

BAM!

Nyar.
    :-B

5. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I think that's the most logical explanation. But maybe Obi-wan didn't need to roll a crit? I imagine Darth Maul would have been pretty low on VP after going toe-to-toe against Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at the same time for awhile, then duking it out with Qui-Gon solo and again against Obi. [face_thinking]

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    In addition to the force powers mentioned, Kenobi took extra time to locate and focus TK on Qui Gonn's light saber (+1d). In addition, Kenobi hasted his actions (-1d per action). So, wirefu Leap, TK, Light saber combat, all scores doubled (don't have those handy), at -7d (except the attack, which is only -3d). Because Maul didn't have concentration or reaction powers up, he had no chance to react.

Let my just check my math:
    3 actions (-2d)
    lightsaber combat puts non-lightsaber actions at -2d
    hasting each is a 1d penalty (-3d total)
    oh, extra time ads 1d to tk, so that's only at a 6d penalty.

Just a thought.

7. JudroBathens

JudroBathens Jedi Master star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    Yeah, I seem to remember in one of the early issues of Gamer they had an article that pretty much broke things down like that--though it went into more detail, explaining (I think) everything from Obi-Wan catching up with Maul after Qui-Gon was struck down up to Maul being bisected in (d20) game terms.

I know from my GM experience that lower level characters can easilymake hash out of high-level baddies by rolling crits at the most inconvenient moments... (sigh) I lost so many villains that way....

8. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Ah, I know your pain, my friend. So many cool villains.

Y'know it's either the Crit or the Force Point that are the bane of so many bad guys.

9. Bodknocks_

Bodknocks_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Yes, see Star Wars Gamer #1. There is an article that plays out the entire fight in every detail. I wish they would have done more of that, it was very interesting.

10. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Asajj Ventress, by any chance? that was a combination of the two, IIRC :p

11. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    And the D6 equivalent of the crit is that wily wild die.

It's not beyond the pale to suggest Obi-Wan had a string of sixes (on the initial vault for instance), but even with multiple actions if he used a force point, a few character points, and concentration it wouldn't be necessary.

However I'd say something else happened. I'd submit Maul rolled a 1 on the wild die of his perception roll. A "complication" occurs indeed. o_O

12. Svebor

Svebor Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2005
    Both disengaged their lightsabers, sat to the ground, and threw D20s. Maul got 1, Obi got 20. ;)

13. Master_Uxi

Master_Uxi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Partly why I always wished Obi-Wan would have let himself fall in the shaft ala Luke in TESB. Maul could have then replaced the characters of Dooku and Grevious...

But otherwise, Maul had rolled a 1 with a critical fumble on his wild die and Obi-wan rolled a bunch of sequential 6's on his.

14. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    oh... if anyone's interested, the fight breakdown can also be found in the WotC Invasion of Theed game pack.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    It's also in SW-Gamer #1. The way they statted the battle, Obi-Wan rolled a crit after having spent a Force Point. He also rolled nigh-max damage on his lightsaber damage. Also, the way it was statted, Obi-Wan had 1 VP remaining :eek:

Basically, Maul tore the *** out of him until that crit.

16. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Just out of curiosity: how much of a spanking did Maul take from the duel before the crit? How many VP did he have at that point?

17. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Merkurian, Gamer #1 comes within the Invasion of Theed pack ;)

i'm not sure where it is Berx, otherwise i'd dig it out and tell ya :)

18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    IIRC, about 30 or 40...

At some point, geek that I am :-B I will attempt to stat out great moments of the Star Wars Saga...

19. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    LOL! props to you, that'd take more patience then i would ever ever have

20. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Good luck with the Anakin/Obi duel... [face_worried]

Some of it was statted in a Jedi Counselling, iirc.

21. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    After AotC, I statted the Obi-Wan/Anakin/Yoda/Dooku battle at the WotC boards (I post there as Lord Phobetor)

I figured that Dooku rolled like *** vs. Anakin, while Anakin spent a Force Point to overcome the penalties for TWF ;) Dooku was about out of VP (maybe 1 or 2 left) when he fled the battlefield.

I've already figured out how Lord Sidious pwned the Dream Team, but I'm still scratching my head about the simultaneous Force Strike.

22. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    The simulataneous Force Strike was specifically what was statted. It's in a recent JC if you wanna look it up. Normally I would but I'm just getting ready for school now. :(

23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, I read it. Not sure that I agree though...

24. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    yeah... seemed a bit of a cheap way out 'they're waiting for their turn in the round' or something... that pressure lasts for at least five seconds though, so that's some slow-ass round.

I think George wanted something like that to show the balance of the battle, and it did that

25. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Each round takes 6 seconds though so that falls within the single round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.