main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Padawan of Qui-Gon (AU - Qui-Gon, various Jedi, lots of OCs) / Author's note 12/08

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kestrel_Kenobi, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Lovely...I'm rather partial to Qui-Gon/First Padawan fics, myself...

2. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    -Darksaber- Thank you :)...I hope you enjoy the next chapter.

An update at last ? thanks for your patience! Shorter than usual, but the next one should be up fairly soon. A big thank you to my wonderful beta Nienna!

And now I understand
    You leave with everything
    You leave with everything I am
    Withering ~ Hole.

Tshkii - Six months earlier...

Master Roske and Li?annaka left the ship in a small clearing just outside Haki, the largest settlement on Tshkii. For most parts, the ground was boggy and Li found herself using the small water-logged trees to find her balance.

After walking a few paces from the ship Master Roske stopped and raised her head to the sky, which was grey with rain clouds.

?Strange, that nobody is here to greet us,? she commented, turning to Li?annaka.

Li?annaka paused and reached out with the Force.

?I don?t feel anything Master,? she replied, pulling her feet out of the sticky mud which lay beneath the shallow water?s surface and walking towards her.

?Mmmm,? Master Roske murmured distractedly. ?The Hakiana are not known for their hospitality, but there is usually at least an elder and some of the villagers to greet us.?

Li?annaka reached her Master?s side and they stood together. Li shivered; the planet was cold and so quiet. It was unsettling.

Master Roske inclined her head as if considering something...then her eyes opened wide.

?Li, the ship now!? She spoke with urgency.

?But Master...?

?Now!? the Gran repeated.

Li turned and made her way back to the ship as fast as she could, the mud making it a slow progress. Turning as she reached the entrance, she could make out a shape slowly heading towards her Master. She paused; unsure what to do, until Freja?s voice echoed in head.

On to the ship, my Padawan.

Li?annaka obeyed as she always did to watch...and wait.

Jedi Temple - Present day...

Li?annaka lay in a drugged yet dreamless sleep in the infirmary. Although many of the healers had come to look at her, none could find anything wrong.

Other than to change his wet clothes, Qui-Gon had stayed by her side since pulling her from the lake an hour before. He sat now with his hand placed on top on Li?s own and his eyes closed as he meditated in the hope that some answers would be provided.

When Master Yoda entered the room, Qui-Gon opened his eyes and turned to him.

?Grave this is, Qui-Gon. Return to the root of the problem we must.?

?Yes.? Qui-Gon nodded, letting go of Li?s hand and stroking his beard.

Master Yoda noticed how weary the young Jedi was. Perhaps by requesting that Qui-Gon take on this Padawan he had asked too much of the young knight. He shook his head. No, the Force had shown him that Li?annaka was meant to be Qui-Gon?s Padawan and he trusted that all would be revealed.

Yoda slowly hobbled up to the bed and stopped by Qui-Gon.

?Patient we have been, but return to Tshkii you and your Padawan must.?

?But...? Qui-Gon began.

Yoda poked him with one outstretched finger.

?Where this ones trouble began Tshkii is.? He motioned to Li?annaka.

Qui-Gon looked over to at his Padawan.

?I will do what is needed,? he replied not taking his eyes from her.

Yoda nodded, satisfied with the answer.

3. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    =D= Suspence as the story unfolds and all we can do is...wait (& bite on our fingernails! [face_hypnotized] So, Li?annaka's background story becomes clearer and this update leaves the reader hungry for more. [face_dancing]

4. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Great, another tantalising author- just what the boards are in short supply of! :p
    But honestly, now you've got me really curious to know more about Li's past! *pouts* More soon? [face_batting]

5. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    Poor Li and Qui-Gon :(

6. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    It's great to see this up, Kes! :D You've established a firm start to what looks to be a very intriguing story. I can't wait to find out Li's past - and future! [face_dancing]

=D=

7. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    you do a fantastic job of raising the suspense about what exactly happened on tshkii! the way you've structured this is just working out brilliantly!
    this would make a heck of a horror/suspense movie! and it's MAKING a heck of a horror/suspense story! i can see why you call it your "evil fic!"
    and of course you know to keep me posted! terrific work my friend! [:D]

8. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    the tension's so tight you could cut it with a knife!

great job, i love not knowing what to expect next!

9. Mind_Tricked

Mind_Tricked Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2005
    This is getting more and more and more intriguing!
    Can't wait for another update.
    I'm on the edge of my seat! =D=

10. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    padawan_learner86 - Thank you! My evil plan is working [face_devil] :D

Stella_Ripple - [:D] Thanks you m'dear!

-Darksaber- - Poor Li and Qui-Gon ...indeed, but I have to torture my characters a bit before they can have their happy ending!

Nienna - [:D] Thank you!

obi - [face_blush] thanks - you're always such an encouragement! [:D]

J_L - Thank you - I'm enjoying keeping you on your toes! [face_skull]

Mind_Tricked - Thanks! :) Glad you're enjoying it!

I've been poorly and have gotten a bit behind with everything - luckily I had the next part of this done before the lurgy hit and have just gotten it back from my lovely beta.
    So, I'm planning on spending this evening catching up with my reading and updating!

As always...Thanks so much for reading! :D

11. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    I'm your truth, telling lies
    I'm your reasoned alibis
    I'm inside open your eyes
    I'm you?sad but true ~ Metallica.

Tshkii...

Freja watched as the boy came towards her, staggering though the murky water and mud. She had excellent vision and had picked out the movement long before she actually knew that the shape was human. Reaching out to him with her mind she sensed his presence, weak and faint, but she knew that did not mean there was no threat. Underneath these feelings something else lurked, something that made her feel uncomfortable.

Li rubbed her arms as she watched her Master from the ship. She stood still and tapped her foot impatiently. By nature she wasn?t someone who felt fear and now all she felt was annoyance at being sent back to the ship...Not that she would disobey her Master. Li?annaka pushed her dark hair from her eyes and watched as a child appeared in to the clearing. She snorted; it was just a boy, no older than herself! She moved nearer to the window and waited for her Master to make a move.

The child, a pale, thin boy of about twelve, painfully made his way towards Freya who had yet to move. Mumbling incoherently, he fell to his knees and sank down into the mud. He looked up and held his arms out to the Jedi. She took a step towards him and inwardly gasped as she looked into his eyes. A burning terror shone out of them illuminating his entire face. What could cause a child to be so afraid?

Hesitating slightly she reached down to him. The Force was warning her, but of what? The boy or something else?

Like many Grans Freja had a strong affinity for children; indeed the majority of her life had been spent at the Temple helping with the training of the newly recruited Padawans. It would be against her nature to ignore a child in need. Avoiding his gaze she bent to lift him from the water.

?What happen to you? Where are your tribe?? Freja spoke slowly, while stroking his matted hair.

The boy gasped, motioning for her to move closer. The Master moved her head to listen to his rasping breath.

?Fever,? he whimpered. ?Fever.?

He pulled her even closer proving stronger than he looked. Freja could feel his shallow breath on her face and resisted the urge to pull away. As she watched a trickle of blood ran from his mouth as he mouthed the words once more. Roske could feel the boy?s life-force slipping away and forced herself to make eye contact with him. As she did so, his eyes turned dark and his last breath felt like ice on her cheek and lips. She shivered it was so cold; it pierced at her heart.

Li watched the scene unfold before her; she bit her lip and closed her eyes as she felt the boy pass over.

Then a scream sounded in her head.

Alarmed she opened her eyes; the boy was still there, but her Master had gone. Automatically, she called through the Force bond they shared.

Master?

Without waiting to hear a reply, the padawan took one final look at the boy?s body and abruptly turned almost colliding with her Master.

?You startled me!? Li exclaimed, jumping back and placing a hand to her chest.

Master Roske said nothing, but proceeded to the front of the ship.

?It?s time for us to leave,? she stated firmly.

Jedi Temple - Present day...

Li?s eyes flickered open; she shut them quickly, moaning slightly and raising her hand to her head.

Everything was so bright, so white.

She felt someone rise beside her and the light burning into her eyelids subsided.

Slowly she tried opening her eyes again; the lights had dimmed. She stretched slightly and winced; everywhere ached. Turning she saw Qui-Gon beside her, his face taught with concern.

?Li??

Tears formed in her dark eyes.

?It?s alright young one,? the Jedi Master spoke softly, reaching out and stroking Li?s arm.

Li?annaka turned her head away not wanting him to see her tears fall; she desperately wanted to talk to him to tell him, but she couldn?t...she couldn?t risk it...risk what it might do to him

12. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    [face_shame_on_you] Evil cliffie. [face_shame_on_you]

I didn't think I could get any more curious, but I was wrong. Waiting impatiently for the next update. Soon? [face_praying]

13. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    and the suspense and intrigue build more![face_skull] (never used that face before, but figured it'd be appropriate for your evil fic!)
    the opening with the boy was quite chilling..
    fever huh? hm, i am quite curious!
    you really are doing an excellent job with this kes!
    =D=
    oh, and i LOVE the song lyrics you have to open up each chapter!
    for one, the lyrics you choose are always very fitting to the tone of this.
    AND i can tell you have good taste in music!
    great job kes![:D]

14. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    nice! i'm really intrigued now.
    i love how we're getting bits and pieces, little clues as the picture is slowly beginning to gain clarity with each chapter.
    wonderful work, Kes.

15. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    Poor Li...open up to Qui!

Feel better, Kes.

16. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    :eek: What a cliffhanger!! =D= Can't remember whether I've said this before or not, but: this story is majorly addictive![:D]

Aww, Qui-Gon trying to comfort his padawan.[face_love] He'll learn.

Poor Li; major trauma, for one so young. :_|

Feel the suspence! (It's a shame we don't have a nail-bitting smiley, but mentally do insert one here.) ;)

17. Mind_Tricked

Mind_Tricked Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2005
    Oh, Kestrel! That was so overwhelming..

Well I have an idea of what might have happened to Freja.. but I just hope I'm not right.. [face_worried]

I hope Li will trust Qui-Gon eventually!

Please, don't keep us hanging too long!!!

18. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I haven't replied to this yet? Hmm. I thought I did...

Anyway, great update Kes! Again, the plot thickens and grows ever more tense. :D *relishes the suspense*

Without waiting to hear a reply, the padawan took one final look at the boy?s body and abruptly turned almost colliding with her Master.

[face_worried] Creepy... Something's up with Freja... [face_worried]

19. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Poor Li. It seems that so much is going on with her, and she needs to share it with Qui-Gon! She doesn't know how strong her master is. I hope Yoda has some good advice him.

20. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Aya - [face_devil] Thank you...I hope to have an update for you later this week.

Obi - [:D] Thanks...it's great fun finding lyrics to fit each chapter! There are a couple of red herrings in this fic...that's all I'm telling ya! [face_whistling] [face_mischief]

Jennifer_Lyn- Thank you! :D It means a lot to me that you're reading and enjoying this!

Darksaber - Thanks! :)

Darn boards....

Where was I?

padawan_learner86 ? I?m glad you?re enjoying it! I do like an evil cliffie or two! [face_skull] and thank you for your kind words.

Mind_Tricked - lol...I hope to post soon...Li wants to trust Qui, but she's afraid of what might happen to him if she does....

Nienna - [:D] ...Yep, something is up with Freja - Look out Li! [face_devil] & thank you m'dear... :)

ardavenport - Glad you're here...thanks for reading!

21. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Ooh wow! That is creepy! *shivers*
    ok, surely that great big knarled up patch that you call plot is twisted enough now?! :p I have given up trying to guess whats gonna happen next- my only expectations are now to find a great read (that's the only way I'm never wrong! :D )
    Great Job! =D=

22. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    *pokes head into Before* (again :p )

Kes, this story is quite tantalizing.. I can't wait to see what happens next.

I really like the way that you switch between the two time periods... building up each little by little. It is going to make for a wonderful fic!

Poor Li... I wonder what happened?

Both the fever, and her master disappearing sound ominous... [face_worried]

Can I get a PM for this one when you update?! [face_praying]

jcs/jaina

23. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    What is going on with Master Roske? [face_thinking] o_O Li' is apparently having a lot of trouble with this past mission to Tshkii, and her former master. Maybe something to do with the fever, an illness? Well, things are getting more tense and mysterious! Hope we get some answers soon. And Li, trust Qui, he's trying to help!

Nice job with the flashbacks. Poor Li, having dreams about the past. Sounds very traumatic. :(

Great job! Thanks for the pms. :)

24. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    stella - [face_laugh] thank you my dear! For the first time I actually worked out the plot before I started posting (good idea that! ;) ) or I'd be lost myself! [:D]

jaina - Thanks! Lovely to 'see' you here :D ...glad you're enjoying it...

Jedi_Tigris - Answers coming up! Some of them anyway! Thanks for reading! :)

Sorry for the delay in updating, but the next post is at the betas and should unravel some of this mystery for you - I thought it was time I started to put you all out of your misery! :D

25. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Now you?re gone, there you go. Somewhere I can?t bring you back
    Now you?re gone, there you go. Somewhere you?re not coming back
    The day you slipped away
    Was the day I found it won?t be the same~ Avril Lavigne

Tshkii

Confused, Li?annaka followed her Master to the front of the ship and sat next to her.

?Master??

Freja turned away from the controls and gazed at Li. Something in that look sent shivers down the padawan?s spine and she had to turn away.

?I...I?m not feeling well.? The Jedi shook her head as if trying to loosen something.
    ?I may go and lay down.? She rose from her chair.

?Li, promise me you won?t go outside, it?s not safe.?

?Yes, Master. Of course.? She looked up at her Master with concern in her eyes. ?Are you sure I can?t help you...? What happened out there? I...?

?All in good time,? Freja replied walking away. ?I must rest and then we?ll leave.?

Li?annaka turned and watched her Master?s retreating form. For the first time in her young life she felt truly scared.

Master Roske lay down on the small bunk and clutched at her chest; she felt something within her, something dark rooting among her thoughts...looking for secrets...looking for fear.

Li?s finger hovered above the button that would send a distress beacon back to the Temple. Her Master had been sleeping for what seemed like hours and had appeared oblivious to Li?s calls. It seemed that her Master was in a deep state of meditation...although why now and here Li couldn?t fathom.

Worry lined the Padawan?s face as took her finger away from the button and stood, staring out into the semi-darkness. At least the boy?s figure was no longer visible and for that she was grateful.

Freja opened her eyes and shivered at the coldness that clung to her...Her first thoughts were of her Padawan...she reached out to locate her and was relieved to sense her nearby.

She?ll leave you in the end though ? they always do...

A voice spoke in her head and images flooded her mind of another time and place...of her parents, leaving her, handing her over to the Jedi...She was special they told her...special...but all she?d felt was rejection...she was alone...and in the end isn?t that what all Jedi were? Alone.

The voice poured doubt into her mind and brought her deepest fears to the surface.

The Jedi master moaned softly into the darkness and called out to the Force to help her and Li ? to save them both.
    What had happened here on Tshkii....what had the boy done to her?

But the answers lay with a little girl from a remote swamp village who would never tell...

Tshkii, several months before Li?annaka and Master Roske?s arrival...

Fallen-Sky pulled a thick handful of roots from the swamp and placed it in her basket with the other ini shoots. Sniffing the air she turned her golden face upwards toward the darkening sky. Rain fell most evenings and would carry on into the early hours of the morning. As the first drops fell upon Fallen-Sky?s face she knew it was time to return home. Stopping to gather up one last handful of shoots, her hand grasped something small and hard. Pulling it up out of the water the girl gazed at the small white bone no bigger than her little finger covered in strange symbols. She was not by nature a cautious child and immediately ran her fingers along the marks, trying to understand what they meant. When that proved fruitless she bit down on the bone, hard. It instantly broke into pieces leaving a bitter taste in the her mouth. Fallen-Sky grimaced and spat the shards onto the ground while throwing the other pieces back into the swamp. She quickly pulled the basket of shoots onto her back and as the rain began to fall more heavily she made her way back into Haki, the village where she lived and the largest populated area on the whole of the planet.

The child was drenched by the time she made it to her home and slung the basket into the open porch of the hut she shared with her Father, Ver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.