main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Padawan (re-write) Updated 13th March 2012 :-)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EGKenobi, Sep 18, 2008.

1. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Title: Padawan (Re-Write)
    Author: EGKenobi
    Timeframe: Pre-TPM
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Mace Windu, Yoda and others
    Genre: AU
    Summary: This is a re-write of my fic Padawan. I wasn't happy with the way the last one went. So I've re-written most of it. This will be much darker as a consequence. Obi-Wan is chosen by Qui-Gon, but things don?t work out the way they?re supposed too.
    Disclaimer: The usual stuff.

Prologue

Lightsaber Training Area ? Jedi Temple.

?Again? said the Jedi master, his voice edged with frustration. His stern face bore in to the young Jedi Padawan that was stood before him. He?d been here for four hours now, teaching the young Padwawan one of the basic katas of Ataro. And in that four hours the youngster had not got it right once.

The training hall was now deserted, save for the two lone occupants. One was a powerfully built man, with a mane of greying hair tied neatly in a pony-tail. He stood there stoically as the young padawan tried to perform the kata once again. After a few moments a frown etched its way across his face. He radiated disappointment. One only needed to look at his body language to see that he wasn?t pleased.

The object of his displeasure was the young fourteen year old boy that was before him. With a crop of spiky hair, and a braid dangling down past his right ear. His thin body glistened with sweat as he swung the wooden practice sabre in the motions he?d been taught. His eyes fierce with concentration, he could sense the master?s disapproval. Which drove him to try harder, which in turn made him to make mistakes.

?Stop!? barked the elder man. The youth stopped dead instantly, lowering the saber stick.

?Obi-Wan, how many more times MUST I go through this with you? We?ve been here four hours now, and you should have mastered this kata form by now.?

The young Jedi?s face went bright red with embarrassment. The master continued. ?Even the initiates have mastered this kata Obi-Wan, what?s stopping you doing it?? he asked, his voice now not bothering to hid the tiredness or frustration.

The younger Jedi said nothing, but simply kept his eyes glued to the floor. He fought back the tears that threatened to escape.

The Jedi Master shook his head, ?that?s enough for tonight, go and shower up, I?ll meet you for the last meal.? He said, nodding towards the wash area.

?Yes master? Obi-Wan mumbled, as he walked shame faced past his master.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Steam filled the shower room. It was so thick that one couldn?t see where the walls were, or where the cubicles were. The floor was deathly slippery, but that didn?t concern the sole occupant of the room.

Obi-Wan stood under the steaming water jets not moving at all. The water was scalding to the touch. His skin was red raw as he just stood there, his eyes closed. Tears now run freely down his face as the water jets from the shower could hide them.

Why did I agree to be his Padawan? He asked himself; not for the first time. He?d been apprenticed to Qui-Gon for over a year now, and still he wondered if Qui-Gon really chose him. He knew Yoda had something to do with it. But even so, he couldn?t help but wonder what was making Qui-Gon pushing him so hard.

They?d not even formed a training bond yet. Nobody knew about that of course, and Obi-Wan didn?t let on that it was a big deal. But deep down it tore him to pieces to think that his own master didn?t want him to be linked to him.

In his darkest moments, Obi-Wan wished that the Force would take him away, to somewhere where he could be spared any more pain. But it seemed that the Force had other ideas for him. He just wished it?d hurry up and tell him.

He was so absorbed in his thoughts that he never heard Yoda coming. The only clue he got, was when the water suddenly went icily cold.

Obi-Wan leaped out of the shower cubicle with a scream, then gave another scream when he saw the Grand Master of the Jedi Order standing before him. He hastily grabbed a towel and wrapped it around his waist.

Nothing was said

2. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    noooooooooooooooooooooooo! no no no! Ack, I must know...tell me he lives!

3. Master_Tigris_Leigh

Master_Tigris_Leigh Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    I agree: Noooooooo! Obi don't do it!!! :_| :eek:

And lol on Yoda and the shower. :)

Very nice, rewrites can be hard to do, but hopefully your muse is working awesome so you can continue this. Right? Right?

4. EGKenobi

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

Chapter 1 is nearly done. Got some polishing to do to it, but it's more or less there.

Obi-Wan does live...somehow...heh heh....

EG

5. EGKenobi

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm so sorry for the delay. RL has been kicking my butt, as well as trying to keep the threads of three fan fics, (my own fault I know) in my head. It's getting tricky.

But here is Chapter 1.

Thanks for reading.

EG

Chapter 1

Qui-Gon collapsed heavily on the balcony of the spire, his strength deserted him. What have I done? he asked himself. He couldn?t bring himself to look over the edge, as he knew what he?d see would tear him apart.

As the others scrambled to join him, Mace Windu only needed to look at Qui-Gon to see that the unthinkable had happened. He thought about comforting his comrade, but after the recent revelations he realised that this was brought on by Qui-Gon?s own insecurities and stubbornness. And it may well have costed the young man his life.

Mace walked over to the edge, and noted the rapidly descending form of the young Padawan, he tried to reach out with the Force to slow his descent, but it was no use, he was too far away. He stalked towards the doorway and started discussing something with the other masters who were present.

The odd glare was thrown at Qui-Gon, it was obvious they were not happy with him, and he was greatful that he couldn?t hear what they were saying. He knew he?d failed. First Xanatos, and now Obi-Wan. He racked his mind trying to see what could have caused it, and it didn?t take long before the answer hit him like a freighter. It was him.

Mace Windu turned from the rest of the council members, he made eye contact with the broken Jedi sat upon the dusty floor. ?The council will convene in two hours. I expect you there Master Jinn.? And with that he walked towards the steps of the spire and disappeared.

Qui-Gon couldn?t move; he knew he was in deep trouble. He just didn?t know how much.

~*~*~*~*~*~
    Jumping off high buildings do strange things to your mind. A lot of base jumpers found their bodies surging with adrenaline, as the sheer excitement of leaping off a building with a parachute and then trying to evade capture took hold.

That wasn?t the case for Obi-Wan. There was nothing left to be excited about. The one man he looked to as a father figure was nothing more than a stern dictator. When Obi-Wan launched himself off, he laughed. He would be free at last.

As he fell, he could feel the air rushing past him, whipping his short hair back as well as the robes around him. He felt the cold sting of the air hit him full force in the face, and he didn?t care. Before too much longer he?d be free.

It is said that many had second thoughts during suicide attempts, but for some reason, Obi-Wan didn?t feel fear at all, he had made his choice and he?d deal with it. Even with the ground coming rushing towards him at an unbelievable speed, he wasn?t frightened. He knew that he?d be welcomed in to the full embrace of the Force, and he wouldn?t hurt no more.

So he angled his body such that he accelerated towards the ground.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The main entrance plaza of the Jedi Temple was a grand affair, with four mighty pillars hiding the main entrance of the temple. Tourists would mill around taking holo-images of family members posing next to some of the statues that were dotted around the place. And it was business as usual expect for one.

Yoda had sensed he was needed here today. And he couldn?t put his finger on it. Many of the tourists were oblivious to his presence, or didn?t recognise him, and that suited him fine. He was here on a mission. But he was yet to know what it was.

He looked around the plaza, his sense of unease grew. Until someone screamed and pointed towards the sky.

He looked up, and his ancient heart broke at what he saw. He knew who it was at once. He could see what was once a bright shining light in the Force hurtling towards the ground.

He cast his feelings aside and launched towards the floor where Obi-Wan would likely meet his death. He charged towards the spot leaping from one spot to another, desperate to get there before it was too late. As he ran he called up on the healers to meet him, he hope

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ohmigosh.

When Yoda weeps, the Force weeps. Incredibly powerful and moving - just a fantastic job and I'm glad to see this story back.

If the rest of the story continues on at this quality - it'll be simply amazing.

7. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Well done.=D=
    Its nice to see you updating this and I nearly panicked when Obi-Wan was falling to his death.
    Qui-Gon is such a fool.[face_shame_on_you]

=D=

8. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    I have to agree with Valairy. Ohmigosh! :p

This is intense! If you're keeping a PM list, please add me!

9. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    Oh yes, indeed. Very nicely done. More plz.

Please add me to said PM list.

10. CrystalSaber_1

CrystalSaber_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2008
    I'm captivated! Please add me to the PM list.

11. EGKenobi

Apr 27, 2005
    I would like to apologise for the delay in responding. Life has been somewhat hectic over the last few weeks.

I am working on the next chapter, and I'm hoping you'll like it.

To the responses....

Thanks, glad you're liking the Fic. I certainly hope I can maintain the quality of the fic. If I slip, then be sure to kick my butt and tell me where I'm going wrong.

Thanks Gkilkenny, I was panicking too, but I kinda knew I had to get Obi-Wan out of it somehow, but it took me a while to figure out how I could do it.

Darker times are coming though...for Obi-Wan...and for Qui-Gon...

Thanks, the story will get darker as we see Obi-Wan deal with stuff, and Qui-Gon could find himself in a spot of bother here.....You're on the PM list.

Hey CaptRex, glad you liked it. You're on the PM list.

You are on the list my young padawan :)

The next chapter is coming. That I promise you...*fires up word now....*

EG

12. EGKenobi

Apr 27, 2005
    As promised, here is the next chapter.

EG

Chapter 2

The Healer?s Wing of the Jedi Temple was a vast room, elliptic in shape, with large pillars running throughout. The centre of the wing housed the various workstations used by the Jedi Healers who worked there. One side of the room, between each pillar, frosted glass walls ran up to lowered ceiling. These were private offices of the various healers where they?d consult with their patients. Although the Jedi who were the patients would describe themselves as victims.

Along the other side of the room between the pillars, was what could be described as the Accident and Emergency section. This was where minor things like sprains, twists and muscle tears would be dealt with, or minor incidents, this section was housed towards the back of the wing, whereas the front eight bays were reserved for the crash teams. Mercifully in little use.

The wing was originally one floor, with a vastly high ceiling, but over the years, levels had been added, until now it was a three floored wing. The first floor housed two wards, as well as three operating theaters, each theater with enough equipment to deal with any situation with any species.

The third floor was where the soul healers did their work. The third floor was sound proofed from the rest of the wing, so that the Jedi who were there would have the perfect setting to recover from whatever trauma they?d experienced. On the east wall, each pillar was walled off, and fronted with a frosted glass door so that each patient had privacy. The west wall held the offices and consultation rooms of the soul healer.

The third floor was smaller than the other floors though. A section of the roof had been removed, and the walls removed. And it was replaced by a domed structure, where one could see the cityscape of Coruscant. It was here that a lavish garden with streams of running water ran free. It was a place where patients could come and rest in the embrace of the Force. There were benches set all around the garden.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was in to this haven that Obi-Wan Kenobi was carried by the mind healers, closely followed by Master Yoda. Qui-Gon tried to follow, but was told in no uncertain terms to stay where he was. When he refused, he had two very bruised shins for his trouble, and a deadly glare from the ancient Jedi Master.

They carried Obi-Wan in to one of the small rooms. It was sparsely furnished, with a bed, a comfortable chair and a bedside table. Against one of the walls was a small cupboard so that one?s possessions could be stored.

Yoda?s ears dropped as he watched the healers start to remove Obi-Wan?s tunic and pants. They carried out their duty with care and compassion. Each of them knowing that this needed to be done so that they could check Obi-Wan over. Once he?d been stripped of his clothing, one of the healers folded his clothing neatly and placed it in the storage cupboard.

He lay on the sleeping cot completely unaware of the fact that he was naked, and the healers paid no attention to the fact either. They were professionals.

The healers checked over his body visually for any marks or bruising, their hand expertly probing, checking for knots, internal organ damage all the time reaching out to the Force for answers. They then ran a scanner over him to check for things that the eyes could not see, and satisfied that they?d found nothing untoward, they dressed him in a loose fitting pair of pants, and a long over shirt. Then they opened the shirt somewhat and start to attach monitoring nodes to his body.

Above the cot, a small machine came to life. It?s steady pinging sound letting those in the room know that the patient was alive and well.

With great care, the rolled up his left sleeve, and having found the correct spot inserted a needle in to his arm that would ensure that he was hydrated. On the back of his left hand, they inserted another needle, with a stopper valve on it, so that if needs be, they could administer medication.

The last step was to attach some nodes

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

He cast his mind back to when young Obi-Wan was an initiate, and the times they?d spend together. His non-stop questions about the nature of the Force. Yoda recalled how the youngster positively shone in the Force. He recalled the time he caught Obi-Wan and Garen surfing the banisters using a tray from the eating hall. A small chuckle escaped him. What happened to that carefree young man? And would they ever see him again?

He looked again up on the sleeping cot; it broke Yoda?s heart to know that at some point the young man would have to wake up again and face the real world, and worse still face the pain he?d suffered and try to let it go.

Yoda bowed his head making a vow to the Force, ?put this right I will young one. Be there for you I will.? He kept his eyes closed for a time, sensing the Force?s approval of what he intended to do.

He sensed Mace Windu coming up behind him, and he knew he?d just heard everything he?d just said. ?A bright light in the Force this one always was, and now dimmed the light has become.? Yoda?s voice was strained with emotion.

The Korun master knew that Yoda was fighting to keep his emotions in check. It was well known through the council that Obi-Wan had a special place in Yoda?s heart, ever since he?d been found by Yoda at the gates of the Jedi Temple. Mace knew full well that Yoda viewed Obi-Wan as his own son.

Yoda is already there and Yoda will be able to help Obi-Wan recover - he cares! Lovely update.

14. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Excellent post.:D I'm a bit worried that the Force will want Qui-Gon to train Obi.[face_not_talking]

Nothing good will come out of it.
    I sense sad times ahead for Obi-Wan.[face_worried]

Well done.=D=

15. CrystalSaber_1

CrystalSaber_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2008
    Wow that was really intense. Poor Obi-Wan!
    I have a feeling that he's going to have a lot of healing to do, both physically and emotionally.
    =D=

16. EGKenobi

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm so sorry I've not been updating as much as I like, things are getting rather busy for me at the moment.

I've nearly finished the next chapter though, and I want to make sure it reads properly before I post it.

Thanks once more

EG

17. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    ohh this is really really good! Glad that I refound it! Please update soon.

18. EGKenobi

Apr 27, 2005
    Sorry about the lack of responses. I've only just managed to get this chapter in. Life's been rather hectic at the moment.

It's time for Qui-Gon to face the music....

Chapter 3

Qui-Gon knew he was in trouble. What he didn?t know was just how much trouble he was in. He sat in his quarters running through the events of the last few days in his mind, trying to figure out where he?d gone wrong. He knew of course. The answer had been staring him in the face all along. He never bonded with Obi-Wan.

All the time he thought he was acting in the best interests of the boy, by not bonding with him, or if there was a link at all, it was a very faint one. And besides, he never chose Obi-Wan. Yoda foisted the lad upon him.

Qui-Gon sighed. He knew that there was no use approtioning blame now. A Jedi Padawan had attempted suicide, and that hadn?t happened for a very long time. It was no wonder Yoda was angry with him, and half the council as well.

He tried, without success to release his feelings in to the Force. But it seemed that the Force itself had closed itself off from the Jedi Master. It was almost as though the Force was punishing him for his actions.

The sense of dread continued to rise within Qui-Gon, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn?t touch the Force at all. He sighed again, and focussed on his breathing and slowing down his own heart rate, which he could hear pounding in his ears. He knew he needed to be calm, clear and focussed if he was going to plead his case.

He?d just managed to get some semblance of peace when the comm unit startled him.

The summons had arrived.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The Jedi Council chamber was the pinacle of the Jedi Temple. It?s vast windowed form, allowed each council member a direct view of the planetscape that was Coruscant. And it?s beauty was renowned. The floor of the chamber was of the highest quality marble. Which one would consider was at odds with the Jedi?s stance on possesions. Nobody in the room was quite sure where the floor had come from, or who had paid for it. It carried a striking pattern, symbolising the unity of all things in the Force.

Dotted around the room were twelve seats. Each one designed especially for the appropriate council member, so that they would have no distractions in their deliberations, or their meditation upon the Force.

The council chamber itself was located above the peak of an old mountain, which itself was a Force nexus. The Force was very strong in the room, to such an extent one could reach out and almost touch it.

All of this was lost upon the nervous figure that stood alone in the middle of the circle of masters.

Qui-Gon stood unmoving, the only clue that could be offered that the man was alive, was the shallow rising and lowering of his chest. He was scared. Everyone in the room could sense it.

Many times he?d simply walked in and told the council where they were going wrong. But this time it was different.

Every member of the council was there, even Yoda was there this time. Qui-Gon knew that he was going to be in for a very rough ride indeed.

He didn?t need to wait long before he was proven right.

?We call this meeting to order? Mace Windu?s voice startled Qui-Gon out of his small daze. He stiffened his posture, as though to brace himself for the onslaught that was about to come forth from the twelve learned masters of the Force.

?We are here? continued Mace, ?to investigate the suicide attempt of Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the events leading up to that event. The record states that all members of the Council are present, as is Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, who is here to answer the following charges, neglect, dereliction of duty, and of wilful disobedience in regards to direct orders. ?

Each charge Mace read out was like a hammer blow to Qui-Gon?s guts. He knew he?d failed. And further more, he knew the fault lay completely at his feet.

Mace continued, ?I now open the floor to questioning from the Masters here present.?

Qui-Gon stood stoically waiting for the first assault. It didn?t tak

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Stubborn, obstinate Qui-Gon is not so stubborn and obstinate that he fails to see what he did. It takes a big man to admit that and accept the consequences.

But poor Obi!

Great update - glad to see it.

20. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Well done.=D=
    It's about time that the council put Qui-Gon in his place.o_O

I wonder how Obi-Wan will feel about Qui-Gon's punishment.[face_thinking]

Anxiously waiting for Obi to wake up.[:D]

21. EGKenobi

Apr 27, 2005
    You'll be pleased to know that the next chapter is almost done. So that will be posted later.

EG

22. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    How did I miss this?! :oops:

I love these kinds of stories, I enjoy watching Qui-Gon squirm and grovel. [face_devil]

But oh dear, poor Obi. :(

Can I please be on your PM list for updates if you have one? :D

23. EGKenobi

Apr 27, 2005
    Hey! Thanks for the positive feedback. Yeah Qui-Gon's realised what he did, but it won't end there. There's a lot he needs to deal with too....

Heh heh, yeah I always wondered what Qui-Gon would do if the Council ganged up on him. I just hope I wrote it half decently. I am scared that I'm moving the story too quickly and that I'll end up missing something important.

But thanks for the feedback. My hope is the next chapter will not disappoint.

Thanks for the feedback. You're on the PM list.

There is more to come.

=========================================

Here is the next chapter. I must confess I'm not 100% happy with it, so please any feedback or glaring holes please let me know. And please please PLEASE!!! Let me know if you feel that the story is moving too fast or too slow. I don't want to be blase about what happened to Obi-Wan.

Thanks

EG

*NOTE* I chopped a lot of this out, as I didn't think it fit the story. So here's the edited version

==========================================

Chapter 4
    The air in the mind healer?s wing was still. Nothing stirred, and nothing could be heard except for the steady beeping of the wing?s only patient. Of course there was staff around, but they were using the lull to catch up on the administration work that had piled up over the last few weeks.

But they were not overly concerned, as they knew that they?d sense anything amiss with their young patient.

Obi-Wan was unaware of the stillness and peace of his current location. He was put under by Yoda himself. He?d been in this condition for three days now, and he neither moved nor twitched. The healers made sure that he was kept hydrated and fed via the tubes that snaked into his veins, and down in to his stomach. His lips were kept moist every hour or so as a nurse would come round and sponge his lips gently.

It was this sight that brough Siri to tears. A blonde Jedi Padawan, the same age as Obi-Wan. Indeed, they were clan mates, and didn?t get on all that well as younglings, however over the years they?d grown closer, and to some of their friends who knew them best, closer than they?d dare thought when they were growing up. She was renowned for her temper, and her willingness to say exactly what was on her mind. Even if it landed her in trouble. But those who knew her best, knew there was a heart full of love and compassion under the durasteel façade, and it was all for the young man who lay on the bed in front of her.

She?d been sitting with Obi-Wan for three hours a day, until her master beckoned her back to their quarters. She?d usually bring an assignment with her so she could keep up with her classes as she sat with Obi-Wan. She also spoke to him, telling him of the latest prank Garen tried playing on Yoda. After a while she?d run out of things to say, and then she?d just look at him.

While Siri would never openly admit it, Obi-Wan was the love of her life. She wracked her mind trying to comprehend what had driven Obi-Wan to such extremes.

The rumour was that it was something to do with Qui-Gon not having formed a training bond with him, others said that Obi-Wan was driven to the point of despair that he decided it was better to take his own life rather than face the problem.

One of the female padawans made the fatal error of mentioning thi

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Valairy's a happy Obi - Siriwan - fan.

Siri considered her best response, ?you know Obi, if you didn?t like me boots you should have said so. I think the vomit was a touch too dramatic.?

The nurses filed out, each one of them trying and failing to stifle a grin.

Obi-Wan give a wistful smile, ?I?m sorry, I?ll try and keep it all in next time.?

Siri gave him a deadly glare, ?no, there will not be a next time Obi-Wan?, her voice was full of compassion but carried an edge.

?If you like the boots that much?? Obi-Wan started before Siri cut him off.

Ah, always the joker, trying to ease the tension.

?Siri held his hand gently, ?I guess I?m living up to my reputation huh?? she quipped quietly, ?shoot from the hip, and then find out where the target was.?

Obi-Wan tightened his grip on her hand tenderly. ?you always did have a flair for the dramatic Siri.? He smiled.

Their friendship is so lovely and the banter so true to the characters.

Tears now streamed down Siri?s face, as the full realisation of what Obi-Wan had told her. She wrapped her arms around him tightly, as if scared that he?d try something like that again. Obi-Wan wrapped his arms around her too.

?thank you for trusting me with this Obi? she muttered into his hair. He tightened his grip around her.

AW, I'm mush. I guess Obi doesn't need a [face_hug] from me - he has Siri.

?Humpf, at his side you?ve been while asleep he?s been. There you were when woke he did, and a comforting friend he had when he woke up. Done a great deal I?d say you have hmm?? Yoda actually smiled at this.

Siri simply bowed, ?Master, may I be excused. I need to get back to my master. Can you let Obi-Wan know??

Yoda nodded as he hobbled off towards Obi-Wan?s room. He turned to Siri, ?trust your heart you should young one. Lead you astray it will not.?

Ah, super mush. [face_hug] for a great update. Loving this story.

25. EGKenobi

Apr 27, 2005
    Alas, I have since edited the story!!! Please read once more :(

I wasn't happy with that particular draft, as I felt it moved the story too quickly. I can imagine that should someone survive a suicide attempt, they'd have a lot of stuff to deal with, and I felt that Obi-Wan had dealt with a lot of it right there, while that was good. It didn't leave all that much else for the rest of this section of the story. But I can promise there will be mush further down the road!

Drat it, you're too quick off the mark Val :p Wait for the PM next time lol......(Only kidding)