main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padawan Training Timeline

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LordAngelus, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordAngelus

LordAngelus Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005

Something I've been wondering about is the training of Padawans. In Episode II, Dooku says that he was trained by Qui-Gonn, yet later Yoda calls Dooku "My old Padawan." In Episode V, Obi-Wan tells Luke that he was trained by Yoda as well, yet Qui-Gonn was his master.

In AOTC, we see Yoda teaching the younglings. I've been assuming that Yoda iniatially trains all the Jedi until they reach a certain age and then are taken as a Padawan learner by a Jedi Knight or Master. This would explain why in TPM, Mace tells Qui-Gonn that he won't be trained that he is too old. Does anyone else think this is correct? I'm also wondering at what age a youngling is adopted by another. Is it when they reach 9 years old as Anakin was in TPM?

2. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Dooku's friend Lorian Nodd was not apprenticed by the time he was 13 (maybe even 14) and that was considered late. Padawan would be the only term Yoda could use for Dooku. can you see him saying "My young youngling" lol

3. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Dooku was Qui-Gon's master...not the other way around.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Lucas specifically says in the commentary for one of the films that Yoda trains all the younglings. So every Jedi who passed through the system since he started doing that was trained by Yoda.

5. Darthgenius77

Darthgenius77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2005
    Lucas does state that all younglings are trained by Yoda to begin with. However Yoda also takes on Padawans, and Count Dooku was his Padawan. I also believe that Mace was his padawan, but I am not 100 percent sure about that.

6. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Mace wasn't Dooku's padawan, only Qui-Gon.

Good Stuff

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I think he meant Mace was a padawan of Yoda.

8. DarthVennDiagram

DarthVennDiagram Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2005
    I think Lucas said that about Yoda training all the younglings bit to cover his arse after introducing the character of Qui-Gon Jinn, as QGJ being Obi's master contradicts what Ben says in ESB, that Yoda was his master.

Lucas: he's not very credible in the commentaries, as he says stuff to justify the way the films are, rather than admitting that he wrote it as he went along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.