main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padmé's Nightgown Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Samantha, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    The hand smocking (or english) I'm used to is used mostly for children's clothing--it's worked in rows and done on top of pleats--it looks alot like shirring done with elastic on a lot of shirts today. Smocking is a old fashioned type of needle art that isn't done much today--there is a slight variation called counterchange which some of you may know. The best example of hand smocking I know is on the old girl's dresses Polly Flinders made in the 70's. I could offer more info on how to do it (I have taught classes in it) but from the pics I'm not sure if it is the variation of smocking I know.

2. jedi_blynnj

jedi_blynnj Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    Does anyone know of a good website to illustrate hand-smocking?

Also I was at Trisha presentation and I think the fabric used was a silk velvet. Is this correct? I can't remember the whole weekend was a blur! :D

3. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Sorry-not so web savvy to give addresses--but know of a good step by step book called The Joy Of Smocking by Martha Pullen--also country bumpkin puts out a magazine called Australian Smocking and Embroidery which has great detail. The big wigs in the smocking world are martha pullen, ellen mccarn, and creative smocking--maybe you can find sites using those key words.
    They do make a silk velvet that is a little more flowy than regular acetate velvet-it would probably being easier to do hand work on and wouldn't crush as easy. Another great velvet to work with is panne' which has lycra in it--it is crushed. Hope that helps :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.