1. The Jedi Council Forum Rules have been revised.

View the revisions here, and see the Communications thread for more details.

Padmé's Nightgown Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Samantha, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    The hand smocking (or english) I'm used to is used mostly for children's clothing--it's worked in rows and done on top of pleats--it looks alot like shirring done with elastic on a lot of shirts today. Smocking is a old fashioned type of needle art that isn't done much today--there is a slight variation called counterchange which some of you may know. The best example of hand smocking I know is on the old girl's dresses Polly Flinders made in the 70's. I could offer more info on how to do it (I have taught classes in it) but from the pics I'm not sure if it is the variation of smocking I know.
  2. jedi_blynnj Jedi Master

star 1
    Does anyone know of a good website to illustrate hand-smocking?

Also I was at Trisha presentation and I think the fabric used was a silk velvet. Is this correct? I can't remember the whole weekend was a blur! :D
  3. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sorry-not so web savvy to give addresses--but know of a good step by step book called The Joy Of Smocking by Martha Pullen--also country bumpkin puts out a magazine called Australian Smocking and Embroidery which has great detail. The big wigs in the smocking world are martha pullen, ellen mccarn, and creative smocking--maybe you can find sites using those key words.
    They do make a silk velvet that is a little more flowy than regular acetate velvet-it would probably being easier to do hand work on and wouldn't crush as easy. Another great velvet to work with is panne' which has lycra in it--it is crushed. Hope that helps :)
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.