main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Padmé Amidala MEGAthread - Don't look at her that way. It makes her uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ganesh Ujwal, Dec 31, 2014.

1. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Um, yes, it is the point. It's why she died in the first place. Her husband basically destroyed her world under the delusion that he was doing this for her, to protect her. If we subtract Anakin's atrocities, then we're left with her dying of a broken heart for no reason at all.

Everyone has a breaking point. Padme exceeded hers and whose fault is that? Anakin's.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    However...the degree of Anakin's atrocities does not erase the fact that, as I said, she surrendered her power to him and allowed him, and his behavior, to dictate whether she was going to feel like living or not.

That is the problem, and remains the problem no matter how terrible Anakin's atrocities are.

And no, her decision to give up, is not Anakin's fault. No one can make that decision for another person, that was entirely on Padme.

His own behavior was of course his fault, but her reaction to it is entirely hers.

We don't necessarily get to choose how we feel, and I expect her to feel completely devastated, but we have choices about how we act on those feelings.

wobbits and Empress Shatterpoint like this.
  3. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    And that makes life not worth living two minutes after you've given birth to twins? I'm not saying the ending of ROTS wouldn't be hard to swallow for Padme, but goodness, she just gave birth to twins and "lost the will to live"? Sounds totally out of character for any decent mother, especially one headstrong and brave enough to be a Queen, a Senator, and fight valiantly in combat a few times.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, she lost the will to live before giving birth. Hence the droid's warning/advice.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I have to admit whenever I see this thread (I believe there is another thread titled the exact same), I always imagine the opening post to be a joke of some sort:

what did Padme die of?

Sithilis

or something.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  6. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    I don't think so. Didn't she name both of the twins?

7. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

she didn't die til after she named them, the droid made his prognosis that she was dying and lost the will to live before she gave birth.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    She did.

Medical droid: "We don't know why. She has lost the will to live. We need to operate quickly if we are to save the babies."

9. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    That's a weird, weird scenario. I hope someone helping Lucas work on this scene at least raised his/her hand and said, "Ya know, George, this doesn't really make a whole lot of sense."

10. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

It does make sense, you might want to re-watch it. The droid tells Yoda, Obi Wan, and bail that they can't find anything medically wrong with her, but they are losing her none-the-less. The droids says she has lost the will to live, and they will need to operate soon if they are to save the babies.

Obviously they see from their readings that her vitals are slipping....

Ezon Pin and Alexrd like this.
  11. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    And her vitals are slipping for a very stupid reason. That's my point. First of all, I don't know how an otherwise healthy person wills his/herself to die. And second, as I have said several times, it's totally out of character for Padme to quit on life with twins on the way.

12. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    That's how I've seen it as well. They're basically saying, "We can't save Padme, there's no hope for her; but we can save the babies if we act quickly."

My issue is that I'm not sure if it's that realistic for her to just will herself to die that quickly. I can understand over a period of days and months, the person just sort of wilts away until at best they're just a shell of their former self that's existing, or at worst they commit suicide, but mere hours (and two babies) later it's 'bye-bye world'?

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Even though the argument could be made that in a fantasy universe, a healthy character could will herself to die, that does not detract from the stupidity of that scenario.

14. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, I was merely telling you the sequence of events in the movie, because you were disagreeing with said sequence of events

15. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I had a parakeet who died of a broken heart. Not that that has anything to do with Episode 3, but I guess if I had known in advance how the bird would die, I could have named it Padme.

16. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Fair enough.

mikeximus likes this.
  17. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Dying of a broken heart isn't that unbelievable to me, since that's kind of how my mother passed away. My sister died, and for months my mother was in a depressive state, until she caught ill and didn't wake up one morning. Granted, she was never in the best of health for years after having her hysterectomy, but losing a child must've really done a number on her.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  18. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I think people are annoyed more at the "medically she is perfectly healthy" part, at least for me.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother and your sister DantheJedi.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It didn't take very long for Plagueis to kill Veruna.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    ^^^^ This.

But I do think the situations are very different.

21. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    She died of respiratory damage, the droid was simply a failure of a doctor. Me thinks someone always dreamt of poetry, too bad droids aren't allowed to choose, eh?

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

"...some of the people had a hard time with the reason that Anakin goes bad. Somebody asked whether somebody could kill Anakin's best friend, so that he really gets angry. They wanted a real betrayal, such as, "You tried to kill me so now I'm going to try and kill you." They didn't seem to understand the fact that Anakin is simply greedy. There is no revenge. The revenge of the Sith is Palpatine. It doesn't have much to do with Darth Vader; he's a pawn in the whole scheme....

So I had to ask myself, what was I trying to say and didn't I say it? Did it just get missed or it is it not there? I had to look at it very hard. I had to ask myself, Is this how the audience is going to react? Fortunately, Steven confirmed that most of everything was working. So I may lose a certain demographic - maybe, maybe not. But I had to make a decision, and I decided that I'm not going to alter the film to make it more commercial or marketable."

--George Lucas, The Making of ROTS, page 188.

So if there was something wrong, no one said it to him. Or if they did, he ignored them. Spielberg has long been the one who believed in his ability to tell a story, even when others haven't.

In the aftermath of ROTS's release, an article began making the rounds on the internet confirming that dying of a broken heart does exist, but it doesn't happen as quickly as it does in the film. But it does happen.

23. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    ^^^Those quotes just show George Lucas doesn't even understand screenwriting 101.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There's a galaxy-sized chasm between Anakin going dark out of revenge, and Padme "losing the will to live."

If Lucas wanted me to interpret that scenario as "Anakin went dark because he was greedy," he missed.

wobbits and MOC Vober Dand like this.
  25. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    to answer the subject heading: bad writing.

only one kenobi likes this.