Padmé or Leia?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by nitinblurayfan, Sep 30, 2012.

?

Padmé or Leia?

Padmé 19 vote(s) 39.6%
Leia 29 vote(s) 60.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitinblurayfan Jedi Master

This thread can be used compare both of them in every quality you can think of :

1)Looks
    2)Physical Strength/Fighting Ability/Endurance
    3)Mental Strength/Intelligence/Way with People
    4)Personality
    5)Leadership qualities
    6)character development through their respective trilogies
    7)Padme's torn midriff AOTC outfit or Leia's gold bikini (sorry, this had to be here :p)

You can elaborate on more points as well.
  2. nitinblurayfan Jedi Master

I voted for Leia. I'll be giving a detailed explanation for my choice tomorrow. Too exhausted from assignments I had to complete for school.
  3. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Aside from the fact they are both really pale.
  4. PiettsHat Force Ghost

star 4
    I voted for Padmé. Leia's a fun character and certainly engaging to watch, but I find Padmé more interesting personally.

1)Looks -- Equal

I would say that Natalie Portman is more classically beautiful than Carrie Fisher, but I'd also say that Fisher has a more womanly figure than Portman. Portman has a beautiful face and she certainly keeps herself in shape, but I think Fisher has a curvier body with a better waist-to-hip ratio. Portman just strikes me as being very skinny sometimes, which I personally don't think is as attractive. However, I think Fisher's drug use did prematurely age her face a bit because she seems significantly older-looking in Jedi compared to the previous two films.

Overall, though, doesn't matter that much to me.

2)Physical Strength/Fighting Ability/Endurance -- Equal

They're about equal in terms of shooting ability and both are great shots. For fighting ability, though, I'd give it to Padmé since she isn't Force sensitive and I also can't think of any time Leia pulled anything like this:

[IMG]

But Leia also endured being physically tortured.

3)Mental Strength/Intelligence/Way with People -- Equal

Leia is mentally stronger since she is able to endure the psychological trauma of losing her homeworld.
    Both are about equal in terms of raw intelligence, I would say, as they are both Senators and leaders at very young ages.
    However, I would say that Padmé has a better way with people. She's more diplomatic and is often seen mediating arguments between people (such as Anakin and Obi-Wan). Leia, unfortunately, can sometimes add fuel to the fire. I never much appreciated her insults towards Chewbacca, for instance.

4)Personality -- Equal

Leia's more feisty and outspoken while Padmé is more reserved and quiet, but I like both personalities equally. They both have their flaws, such as Leia who can often be acerbic towards others or Padmé who can be self-righteous, though.

5)Leadership qualities -- Equal

About equal. Both, unfortunately, kind of get shunted to the side in their third movie (although I think this is more understandable in Padmé's case given Palpatine's accruement of power). However, both actively participate in battles and risk their lives to help others. They inspire their forces to work harder and keep fighting in difficult situations (Leia with the pilots in ESB, Padmé with her people in TPM).

6)character development through their respective trilogies -- Padmé

Padmé, I find, is a more interesting character in that her flaws (such as her self-righteousness, naiveté, martyring herself to causes) are examined and have effects on the story. The progression of her character has a negative element to it in that she is gradually losing power throughout the trilogy, but I don't necessarily consider that to be a bad thing. We see her at her strongest as Queen, where she successfully takes back her planet. In Episode II, she still has some power, but is helpless to prevent the beginning of the Clone Wars. Her decision to keep the Tusken slaughter a secret along with her marriage was also, I feel, a critical error. By ROTS, then, her political power has waned and her choices in AOTC come back in full force. I think it's interesting to watch her try to adapt to changing circumstances and see her efforts both succeed and fail.

Leia, unfortunately, I didn't feel was very developed. Her relationship with Han changes, but that's really about it. Her personality and character (along with her relationship with Luke, the Rebellion, and her father) are never really examined in detail although I think it could have made for something really compelling.

7)Padme's torn midriff AOTC outfit or Leia's gold bikini -- Equal

I don't really like either to be honest. I actually think, in terms of pure "sex appeal" that Padmé's black dinner gown is probably the best (and it is also used to reinforce a theme -- constriction and the inability to breathe):

[IMG]
    Last edited by PiettsHat, Sep 30, 2012
    Brenapp and Admiral Volshe like this.
  5. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Which costume is the bigger seller? Padme ripped battle suit or Leia in slave suit?
  6. nitinblurayfan Jedi Master

Voted for Leia.
    In terms of looks, I think Padme definitely has the upper hand. She's incredibly pretty and her outfits in AOTC amplify that. Leia is beautiful in a more traditional sense IMO. Though her wardrobe/makeup is partly to blame as well.

Leia can definitely kick a$* if the need arises, as she proved in eps 5&6. Padme is pretty good with a blaster as well but Leia is a lot tougher. I don't think Padme could have handled the torture that Leia did in ep 4. Leia gets points for hand-to-hand combat and the speeder bike as well. Not to mention - Killing Jabba with no weapon what-so-ever, fighting on the sail barge, destroying Jabba's skiff, getting shot by that Scout Trooper and continuing to fight, killing those stormtroopers in the beginning of ep 4, fighting her way out of Bespin, evading those Tie-Fighters in the Millenium Falcon in ep5, fighting off stormtroopers while Luke took out his grappling hook in ep 4, and not to forget - "into the garbage chute flyboy".
    Yup, Leia was one of the most bad-a$* characters of Star Wars, if not the most bad a$* .

This is where Padme outshines Leia. Leia had the tendency to get off on the wrong foot when meeting new people. Padme was more diplomatic in this regard. She was like a major chess player, anticipating her opponent move ahead of time. But when it comes to mental endurance, I have to give props to Leia. Tortured, her home planet destroyed, Han frozen, revelation of being Luke's sister and the daughter of the man who tortured her. She remained strong in ep 5 even after she lost Han to Boba and Luke had fallen into Vader's trap and was probably frozen/dead too. She didn't get pushed around (standing up to Han in ep4, Lando in ep5, not taking no for an answer when she decided to turn around and save Luke in ep 5).

I liked Leia's personality more. She seemed like a fun person to hand around with and seemed nicer. Padme came off as one of those girls who are only 'superficially nice'. Leia always spoke freely and I like that.

When it comes to leadership qualities, it's Padme all the way. Leia was more of a 'soldier'. She did an awesome job when she was Queen and even managed to form the Rebellion.

Leia changed a lot through eps 4-6 and her character arc felt complete. She changed a lot by ep 6 and so did Han. Padme had no character arc what-so-ever in ep 3. She reacted to the events that happened but there was no change with her. I can't put this particular point into words but everytime I watch Luke confess to Leia in ROTJ, I can't help but think Leia's story has now come full circle.

Leia in the gold bikini>>>>>>>>>>>Padme in the midriff torn outfit. Leia was incredibly hot in that gold bikini and was even hotter because of all her other traits described above. If Padme was in the gold bikini, it wouldn't have had the same effect. I would have been like 'meh'. Leia's wardrobe in eps 4 & 5 also played a major role in increasing the jaw-drop reactions guys had when they saw Leia in the gold bikini. Like another poster said, Padme is way too skinny. Leia was really curvy back in the day.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. nitinblurayfan Jedi Master

@PiettsHats
    That black black dinner gown freaks me out after reading the symbolism posted in another thread where it looks like a hand is reaching up and choking Padme. It's also the scene where it all begins. I find that outfit really creepy now. It's really ominous.
  8. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    No. absolutely not. Nitin if you start a thread like this in Saga again I will ban you. Moving to SWC.
    Last edited by DarthBoba, Sep 30, 2012
  9. StarWarrior92 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Gosh, it's a tough decision, but I'll go with Padme. Her and Leia have many similarities and are strong female characters, but like someone said above, Padme's story is more interesting to watch. I wish I could elaborate on that more, but man I'm so tired.

And I've always preferred Padme's looks, but that's just me. [face_love]
  10. Sistros Force Ghost

star 6
    oh dear yet another obtusely sexist thread about "lets drool over Leia and Padme" ,

and this is not someone who is politically correct either,

take away the who is better looking, then this thread might not get such an eye roll from me

or better yet make one on Anakin, Obi, Han, Luke

to make things more balanced

as it stands I don't think it's a good image for TFN
    Son of a Bith likes this.
  11. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
  12. Slowpokeking Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think Carrie Fisher is pretty, nor could her acting skills compare with Portman, an Oscar winner.

In the movie, Padme was not well characterized(especially EP3) but Leia's characterization is worse, her character didn't change a bit after her homeland's destruction.
  13. Slowpokeking Force Ghost

star 4
    I still think Kate Beckinsale will be better to play Padme, Portman is even younger than Hayden and Padme is 5 years older than Anakin.
  14. Jordan1Kenobi Host of EUC Battle of... Games

Game Host
    star 6
  15. Darth Chip Force Ghost

Tough one. Both are gorgeous. But I feel like Leia is the stronger woman and better leader of the two, and I just enjoyed her character's story more, so I voted for her.
  16. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Leia for me. Padme was too bland for me. It's good that she was more level headed than Leia but Leia's spunk was great.
    Sarge likes this.
  17. Zer0 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Leia, Padme was too meh in my opinion, she didn't do enough.
  18. themirrorman478 Jedi Knight

19. WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Padme. A stronger character, IMO.
  20. Admiral Volshe Chosen One

star 9
    Padmé, for the reason that I thought her character had more depth. Not only could she fight, but she was also very level-headed and diplomatic.
  21. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked Padme better because the originals are better with the backstory in them. Natalie looks a lot like Carrie. She was perfect for the role of Vader's wife. They both have equally pretty costumes and haircuts. For looks, it depends on which star wars episode they were in. Sometimes Leia, sometimes queen amidala. Padme was more interesting. Leia had a nice personality too. I think Padme was more physically agile and stronger. But she was emotionally weaker, she lost the will to live. Overall, it's a tie. Below is a picture of the Skywalker family, with all 4 together. I think it's a nice picture because it shows what their family would have looked like if anakin never became darth vader cyborg and padme still lived. Strong resemblance between father and son and mother and daughter. Leia and Padme look alike so much, yet different.

[IMG]
  22. Brenapp Jedi Master

star 2
  23. CommanderTano96 Jedi Youngling

1) Looks
    A) I think that Natalie Portman is much better looking than Carrie Fisher overall but Natalie is given more sex appeal in the PT than Carrie Fisher was, apart from the golden bikini she was always wearing a lot of clothes unlike Padme who wears many more dresses and has more freedom.
    2) Physical Strength/Fighting Ability/Endurance
    A) I think that Carrie Fisher is physically tougher than Natalie Portman because 1) she goes on to be a Jedi and 2)she just seems more physically cabable than a queen/senator despite her showing at times she is tough and capable! For what we see fighting ability is equal in my opinion but again if Leia goes on to become a Jedi she must be the better fighter!
    3) Mental Strength/Intelligence/Way with People
    A) I think this section is pretty equal, they both sort of represent the republic/rebellion but padme would edge it just because of the fact she is a senator and previous queen so she has to be good with people! They are both pretty intelligent people, the way padme gets out of her tricky situation on geonosis is smart and quick-thinking which edges it in her direction again! Leia didn't seem great with those sort of situations except from killing Jabba but not much thought went into that! Maybe because Padme has more experience!
    4) Personality
    A) They both have a bright personality and i think they are roughly the same, we cant forget that they are mother and daughter!
    5) Leadership qualities
    A) I again think that they are pretty much equal when it comes to leadership! At times Padme is demanding and leading which is good and Leia is pretty much the same, she wont take no crap off anybody, thats for sure! Leia takes charge well in ESB and Padme in TPM when trying to get the Gungans on their side!
    6) Character development through their respective trilogies
    A) I honestly dont see much of a development when it comes to Padme! i think she is pretty much the same from TPM to ROTS with the exception of feelings towards Anakin! She does become a bit more confident throughout TPM but thats just because she is undercover so doesnt want to make much hassle! Leia's character develops a little more throughout the movies when it comes to Han and understanding Luke, i think she takes the news that Luke is her brother much better than she would in ANH! she becomes more accepting to emotions and is more friendly about half way through ESB!
    7) Padme's torn midriff AOTC outfit or Leia's gold bikini (sorry, this had to be here :p)
    A) Has to be the Golden Bikini, despite Natalies beauty advantage, theres just something about that bikini that makes every guy tick no matter what generation, era or age you are!
  24. Son of a Bith Force Ghost

star 4
    100% this.
    VanishingReality likes this.
  25. SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I vote for Padme in all categories except for character development.
    Last edited by SkywalkerSquadron, Jun 11, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.