main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Padmé YA novel CONFIRMED (Queen’s Shadow by EK Johnston)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Nov 13, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I have felt really since the PT had been coming out that it would have made far more sense for Padme to have been a fellow Jedi Anakin met along the way. Their love story would have made far more sense if people knew that they had been around eachother a lot during those ten years between TPM and AOTC. Even if the scenes in the movie were still as poorly written as they were in the movie we got we would have still been able to buy into them being as attached and attracted to eachother as they were because we would have known they had basically been growing up together these past ten years.

After all nobody questions how Obi Wan could have been as attached to Anakin as he was because they knew they had spent a lot of time together over those ten years inbetween the movies. But I guess since Leia was a princess in Lucas's mind he thought he should make her mom a queen/senator.

Barriss_Coffee and SWpants like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Unfortunately in ROTS and some of TCW, Padme did become the terrible female-character trope of falling in love with the bad guy and trying to “fix” him. In TPM and AOTC I thought she was more than that just due to her political acumen. Arguably she was trying to fix Anakin in those movies too.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Makes you kind of wish that if all Lucas ever intended her to be was Anakin's wife and mother of his kids (and the whole queen/senator plot was just filler until he got to that point in the story) that he just would have made her some starry eyed farmers daughter who had a big crush on a Jedi she met one time.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  4. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Are we still expecting this book for April? Because it hasn’t been properly announced and the fact that the Thrawn: Alliances and TLJ were announced a lot of months back.

5. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    To be clear, I totally agree with all of the criticism going on about the portrayal of Padmé and Anakin's relationship.

But can I just say that "Across the Stars" is a heart-achingly beautiful theme? I can't imagine that being an unpopular opinion. Our man John Williams holding down the fort, once again.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not without some official info, no.

7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Maybe. It was only this time last year (Jan 26) we got a title and cover for Rebel Rising.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    For sure, though you could have done that with Padme as a senator, easily enough. Their friendship was established in TPM, she's on Coruscant a lot and there's no real reason she couldn't have been a presence throughout his life in much the same way as Palpatine.

"Many things will change when we reach the capitol, Ani, but my caring for you will remain"

<Don't speak to each other for ten years>

I understand that Lucas wanted to have the whole "my goodness, you've grown" angle; with Padme suddenly being hit with the juxtaposition of the boy in her mind and the man in front of her... but losing that really wouldn't have been a big deal. And then AotC is instead about her coming to terms with the fact she might actually be in love with the guy she'd viewed -- or tried to view -- as her kid brother up to that point. Her very off-limits Jedi kid brother.

"Anakin, you're like my brother."

"I'm NOT your brother."

lolmeta

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They could have at least been communicating via the Holonet.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s the ultra friendzone. When your crush thinks of you like a brother.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Actually

[​IMG]

Definitely not how I pictured Thane but it gets the point across. The only reason this story started out in 11BBY was to establish these two as having grown up together and being lifelong friends. That often builds the greatest bond between two opposite sex people and will lead to a much more solid foundation for a relationship than just two people who met and then two weeks later they jump into bed together. It doesn't happen very often though because seldom do guys and girls maintain long lasting close friendships where they see eachother regularly. Most times they go their separate ways.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think men and women maintaining long lasting close friendships happens more than seldom, but I agree with the rest of your post.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No I am not saying that anything like that cannot evolve into romance. I was just saying it would stink for whoever had the crush.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You know, that's a fantastic idea for a Padme novel. It shouldn't even be about Padme, it should be about some guy who has a crush on Padme and gets stuck in the ultra friend zone. Think of the heart-wrenching emotion! And the internal dialogue would be so rich!

Oh man, I love Padme so much. She is in my very soul, tormenting me. Doesn't she know we'd be perfect together?

Why is she with that Sky guy? He's such a jerk! God, this is my problem, I'm too nice! Women like men who use the dark side.

I went all over the nine Corellian hells looking for that damn jogan fruit cake, and all she says is thanks?! She's never going to dump that guy! What a *****!

She was dressed like a total **** and she tried to say she wasn't leading me on. What a tease! Hey, where did I put my fedora?

Friend Zone: A Pathetic Star Wars Story

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    It's funny that the only logical explanation that we can come up with for why Padme fell for Anakin was that she likes the

[​IMG]

It's funny because I don't think that was at all what Lucas was trying to get across when he was developing their relationship. I think he really was trying to make people think that these two characters really were drawn together for much more than just superficial reasons.

16. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    My personal theory is that Padmé is deep down a space racist and she loved hearing about Anakin murdering Tuskens. She kept him around cuz she hoped he'd take care of Jar Jar eventually.

Yunzabit, Hypatia and CT-867-5309 like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    How long before the release do they usually announce a novel?

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's been all over the place the last few years, depending on publisher.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've tended to actually go ahead and assume this already. It's at least as valid as a bunch of the other EU literalist interpretations of dialogue in the films.

20. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    It could've been an error. Panini accidentally emailed jedibibliothek a catalogue, and maybe the Padme book was something that was in the conceptual stage, but ultimately got cancelled. Their is no reason for Panini to ask jedibibliothek to remove the listing unless it was a mistake. Its not like this book would've been a big revelation.

21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean, it does throw a wrecking ball through whatever marketing plan they had to actually announce the book.

22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The 4/24 date could just have been a placeholder, much like how Thrawn Alliances was given a June placeholder release date when it was always going to be coming out in July.

Also, as it’s a YA novel, that means it’s Disney-Lucasfilm Press, which usually doesn’t announce their books as far in advance as Del Rey does (someone brought up Rebel Rising earlier as a good example)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Outsourced likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I seriously think the worst thing some of you can have is a hint of something to come. The knots you’re tying yourself into over an inadvertent mention of a novel.

We would have been a lot better off had we not known at all.

Darth_Duck, Jedi Princess and Daneira like this.
  24. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    But then there'd be a "Why no novels announced?" or "Is Disney running out of ideas?" or "Is Del Rey losing the license to an in-house Disney company soon, hence their lack of ambitious novels" thread.

Stymi and Outsourced like this.
  25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    pretty sure Yunzabit has made all of those threads already