main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Padmé YA novel CONFIRMED (Queen’s Shadow by EK Johnston)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Nov 13, 2017.

1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This novel has the potential to be fantastic, especially if it covers her Queen-to-Senator years. Other than when she was kicking ass in battle, which is best portrayed on screen, Padme was at her best and strongest in her political scenes. I was disappointed that some of her no-tolerance-for-bull**** political speeches were deleted from AOTC and ROTS.

One request though—no Clovis.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Hmm, I hadn't considered him until now, mostly because I forgot he existed. [face_laugh] Unfortunately I think it's highly likely that he could appear; either him or her artist guy friend Palo she mentioned in AOTC.

revan772 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I could be OK with Palo depending on how he’s depicted. Clovis was like fingernails on a chalkboard.

5. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    @cathiecat
    I'll pre order the Ebook tomorrow..then I'll order paper back as well.[face_hypnotized]

Agreed..unless he gets beat up again.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Palo always makes me laugh because of how the Propaganda book says he was arrested by the Empire.

It's so petty but part of me really hopes Vader was responsible for that.

7. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    For months now I haven't been able to see or hear his name without thinking of this. Put up those tiny dukes, Clovis!

[​IMG]

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Bwa-ha-ha.

I’ve been rewatching TCW. When I get to that episode, I might rewind and watch Anakin punching Clovis several times.

9. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Im so glad this book is coming out. I thought it was cancelled and it does have super potential to be very good. Anything that can tell us what happened to Padme/Queen Amidala after Episode 1 is good. This was something I was hoping that was not cancelled and it wasn't. I know that good character stories are no longer the way to go...look what happened to Solo. So the novel format is still viable. I hope that we can start getting some of the good stories in novel form

10. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I would love them to see how Sabe, Rabe, Eirtae, Sache and Yane left Padme's service and were replaced by Dorme, Corde and Verse (the robed handmaiden behind Corde in the explosion for those wondering). Seeing what became of them would be awesome and what lives they lived after Amidala's terms as queen expired. Maybe another hint of the Dorme/Typho relationship (since I saw in AOTC from the limited scene between the pair there was something there - Rose Byrne and Jay Laga'ia certainly made it seem so).

11. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    I wish there was delete button for Padmè's reaction...

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Indeed. That’s one of TCW episodes that left me screaming at my TV.

...which means I’ll probably watch Anakin punching Clovis a few times and then turn it off.

13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The think that irked me about Clovis is that it's heavily hinted that he was about to executed at the end of Senate Spy (which I always thought was delightfully dark ending) then he reappears four season later with no explanation and with completely different characterisation.

Also wouldn't it be funny if it's mentioned in the novel that the Naberrie family has a history of "heart failure" :p

14. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    That one ..Senate Spy and Pursuit Of Peace take my wrath the most...like why did you guys bother with her at all, just to make Padmè look like a complete idiot.

Me too..That is what happens in Notorious(1946) actually..it should have been adapted better.

15. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I get that TCW wanted to make Padme's and Anakin's relationship feel real..... but they really did not need to bring him into the show. It felt inappropriate and just made me feel personally angry.

This book though..... I am so excited. This and the Qui-gon / Obi-wan books are going to make next year the best Star Wars year since the reboot.

wobbits likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think TCW did a great job on Padme and Anakin’s relationship aside from Clovis—I don’t know who, if anyone, actually thought that they needed to bring an ex of Padme’s, and have her behave like a complete idiot in the process, for the relationship to feel real. Evil Plans, the early part of Senate Spy before the Clovis discussion started, and the scene in Dark Disciple when they just talk about their day—that felt real, especially since they don’t really get any happy-marital moments in the films.

Yes, bringing him into the show made me angry, bringing him back into the show made me angrier, and I hope he does not show up in this book, although I don’t expect Anakin to show up either unless there’s a scene when Padme wonders what happened to him.

...which on that...maybe there should be. Or even a scene when they correspond through GFFA e-mail. One criticism of AOTC is that Anakin seemed creepy because he had been thinking about Padme for ten years. If he had reason to think of her other than heavy-duty infatuation, his behavior would make more sense.

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Good point. I know AOTC said they hadn't seen each other in ten years, but that doesn't mean that his thoughts had to be one-sided or that they hadn't communicated at least a little bit. That would honestly be better than nothing. Even if she just gets a message from him that tells her how he's doing at the Temple, that'd be fine.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No, the implication in AOTC is that they definitely haven't communicated at all in ten years. Let's not try to get around that. He doesn't seem creepy in AOTC, he is, and he's supposed to be. He has an entirely unfounded and unhealthy obsession with her that has built up not only despite her absence, but perhaps because of it. It's part of his psychology. If he had more contact with her, it would make it more likely that he see her as an actual person and not whatever he had built up in his mind. But, no, he was separated from her and remained separated from her (and his mother) for ten years.

Regardless, a little contact still wouldn't explain his feelings toward her or make him less creepy.

Hey Anakin, why are you so creepy around Padme?
    Oh, we've shared a few emails over the years.

It does nothing to explain it or make it less creepy.

No communication at all would be better than any, for both characters. While he's been obsessing over her, she hasn't thought about him at all. Anakin even says as much. He wasn't wrong. It's part of the story of the movies.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Okay, fair.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Anakin's sort of a tough situation. On the one hand we want the hero and friend Obi-Wan fondly remembered in ANH. We want the father of Luke and Leia to have been a good guy. Matt Lanter plays him brilliantly this way in TCW. He's super likable. The Padme/Anakin romance doesn't feel wrong (except when Clovis is there and then it's just weird).

But on the other hand, we know he turns into Vader. I don't know if it was intentional, but casting Hayden Christiansen, who's pretty good at the obsessive creepster routine, was not a bad choice if Lucas wanted to cast a dark shadow on Anakin and Padme's relationship from the start. And I'm pretty sure he did. Lucas wanted Anakin to be pretty horrific even by AOTC. He slaughtered tusken families and he wasn't even out of his teens. A few years later he slaughtered a bunch of innocent little kids. Didn't even flinch. And honestly he didn't seem to get along with Obi-Wan all that well in the films. Lucas kept them separated most of the time, so we didn't see their friendship as much as hear Obi-Wan claim they were friends and like brothers.

So we've basically got two Anakins, which has been the problem for years. If TCW had done Anakin's fall to the Dark Side, I would bet you that version would be a lot slower, minus the horrific slaughter of the Padawans the first day.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think you’re probably right, and what Lucas wanted and what I wanted—and what I had built up in my own mind starting in 1983 (I’ve got that in common with Anakin, I can build up an image of a person in my mind too, only in my case, the person is fictional, I’m not obsessed beyond picking a user name and I was 11 ) were at odds with each other. I saw Hayden Christensen in Higher Ground and in Life as a House before I ever saw AOTC, and he played the angsty drug-abusing teenager in both, and I assume that’s what Lucas was going for, minus the drugs.

TCW Anakin is more “my” Anakin. I wish to this day that his growing Dark Side had had nothing to do with his relationship with Padme, that that had been the more normal and stable part of his life, and that we had seen more of his friendship with Obi-Wan in the movies. I expected from the time I learned that Padme existed that his fall would have to do with a desire to protect or save her but I had also hoped that would play out more “normal” for lack of a better word—giving into rage, the “quick and easy path”, as opposed to a more consuming obsession with her.

22. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Enough to read it by Celebration and nerd about it in a Del Rey panel or a queue or a TPM 20th anniversary panel with Natalie Portman.

Re: announcement that Padme appears in Thrawn: Alliances, I just had a fic idea about future Thrawn decorating Chimaera / Imperial Palace with Palo's art to spite Vader. :p

23. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
  24. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008

Sabè is back![face_dancing]

I'll my to cents tomorrow...[face_tired]

25. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Hope we get to see some more Panaka. Was watching TPM yesterday and I'm really surprised he hasn't been in more stuff (though I've heard he is in Princess of Alderaan which I have on my shelf ready to read soon).