main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Padmé YA novel CONFIRMED (Queen’s Shadow by EK Johnston)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    thatsthejoke.gif

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I agree with you Barriss_Coffee TPM Padme is the cool Padme but I was thinking what if Natalie Portman was NOT the cool Padme what if Keira Knightley was the cool Padme and they made a mistake by going forward with Natalie Portman and instead of falling in love with Anakin Skywalker Keira Knightley kept being cool and she met a guy named Crimson Jack and I'm not going to spoil it for you but guess what he's a pirate and I made a bunch of fan trailers of AOTC and ROTS where Keira Knightley is Padme and it's mostly just her telling people their occupation has ended so I think it's about Keira Knightley firing people because she's some kind of boss.

4. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Guys there's such a fantastic points here that I would like to address, but my mind is still reeling with RO still...but I really would like to know, is this novel happening or no?

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We don't know.

6. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Updating the thread title to avoid confusion, since an April 2018 date for an unannounced and unconfirmed novel is misleading as heck.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    They're gonna Cloverfield Paradox that novel, it'll just appear

Senator Wan and Giovs like this.
  9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Has anyone ever had dreams about being at a bookshop and seeing an unexpected SW book? Back in 2004 I had a few dreams about seeing sequels to Survivor's Quest at a bookstore where Mara and Luke went deeper into the Unknown Regions. Was really bummed when I woke up and realized that they didn't exist.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember back in 2005, thinking that The Joiner King came out a month earlier than it did. So disappointed.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah I actually had a dream like that recently haha. Went into a corner of a bookstore and there was a stack of new SW books I hadn't seen before and I loaded them all up.

12. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    My dream self stumbled across and flipped through Wild Space Volume 3. An omnibus of rare and obscure 70s/80s comics, all completely new to me... how I wish.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  13. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Well, come on spill it... what were the highlights? ;-)

14. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Mine was also some sort of book about Luke exploring a new planet, although I think there was also one that involved Rogue Squadron going on a mission. Think there was a YV flavour to it so I guess it was between that and the DNT?

15. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    They were all Big Three and bounty hunter stories with the flavor of Tilotny Throws a Shape and Blind Fury! and art very similar to that of Al Williamson. Looked like good stuff. [face_sigh] -sadly hums 'Pure Imagination'-

(Y'all know me, I was flipping through looking for references to the Tagges and TaggeCo.)

I should probably say something on-topic... After reading the latest issue of A Star Wars Comic (come join the thread!) my hopes and wishes for a Padmé novel that also features the handmaidens and Panaka have redoubled. But I'll read whatever we get, should it come. Fingers crossed.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Well, after reading the ROTS novelization for the first time...forget everything I've said. There's no saving Padme. Bury her and move on.

OOF. The truth hurts. Stover accepts it.

Yeah. Sure seemed that way in TPM.

Oh, boy. A big, strong, smoldering man.

Padme is a romance novel heroine.

He's a WILD TIGER.

And this is how it ends:

This is Padme Amidala. She is Anakin Skywalker's wife and child. This is her place in the story. Accept it, because it is factual, it is a very complete description of her character. Could have skipped the rest.

I note that "This is Padme Amidala" says so very little about Padme herself, her personality. What it does say in the beginning about her accomplishments and occupations is cast aside as play acting for her true role of wife and mother, just like in the movies.

Can't say it isn't accurate.

17. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Dear @CT-867-5309 I wasn't going to do this at first because I wanted to addressed the points that were raised since I last posted here, but your post has raised a fire in me that I cannot ignore. Please be advised that if I come across as snarky is not directed at you, but Filoni and Team F@%$ the character royally..you're one of favorite posters, even if we disagree most the time. Lastly, I apologize for any errors in advance ...it's late and I am bilingual.[face_tired]

While Stover puts good effort he mistreated Padmè in two ways:

Why would she not heed her husband's dreams?
    Why in the world would she be thinking of Kenobi in such a critical time for her Marriage?

No, the only one that has truly understood Padmè other than Lucas was Salvatore, who wrote AOTC; thus far because I've not read Brooks not Miller. I suggest you read that one and then ROTS again. I would like to see if that shifts your views a bit.

OOF. The truth hurts. Stover accepts it.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, and what's wrong with that exactly? I
    Catlyn Stark was first and foremost a wife and because of the duty that comes with that she lost her husband in the book.
    May welland plays a cruel game of chess against her cousin because she believes she's Archer's rightful wife because this was what she was raised for.
    Hell... in real life Politics/ and Queen Catherine's personal feelings aside..she would not give up England's throne because she genuinely believe it was her birth right to rule it.
    In south America, there's still countries that take the highest pride in domesticity ...

Why a girl that was brought up in a culture that values family and tradition, like Padmè would not want that?

something that AOTC Novel and deleted scenes make clear as day, that despite her objections, at the core of her being ...SHE DOES!!
    and gets for three blissful years, with guy that for better or worse worships all her.
    Yeah. Sure seemed that way in TPM.[/QUOTE]
    Views change lot in 13 years, plus she has nieces...I can totally relate to that longing atm.

Oh, boy. A big, strong, smoldering man.

Padme is a romance novel heroine.[/QUOTE]
    Yes... but not the trashy ones, think The Age of innocence.

He's a WILD TIGER.
    [/QUOTE]
    [face_love]
    The only one who has TRUE influence over him her..:( :_|other thn Luke. extent Palps.
    And this is how it ends:

This is Padme Amidala. She is Anakin Skywalker's wife and child. This is her place in the story. Accept it, because it is factual, it is a very complete description of her character. Could have skipped the rest.

I note that "This is Padme Amidala" says so very little about Padme herself, her personality. What it does say in the beginning about her accomplishments and occupations is cast aside as play acting for her true role of wife and mother, just like in the movies.

Can't say it isn't accurate.[/QUOTE]
    And is but in the end she chose duty..and it cost her family and her life.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm glad you chose to comment, that's what this place is for.

I've never really had any interest in reading the novelizations; I forced myself to read ROTS because it was Stover and because its held in such high esteem. I wasn't particularly impressed with ROTS, so I won't be reading any other novelizations. I tried it, and didn't care for it. One and done.

A lot? The reason the truth hurts is because it confirms that Padme is not even really a character in her own right, as if she could exist on Wookieepedia under a page titled "Anakin Skywalker's wife", with no name, biography or personality.

That's it. That's the character.

Even though she defines herself as Anakin's wife...it's a role she pretty much never gets to play. She can't even be the dutiful, supportive wife. She can't cook Anakin dinner or even pick up his socks. She hardly even gets to speak to him.

There's just very little there, and there can't be, because they don't spend any time together. So maybe it would be better if she was more than just wife to an absent husband and mother to children she never raises.

But she's not, because Lucas didn't make her anything more, and Stover knew it and accepted it.

Okay, but I don't know who these characters are. Yeah, I googled, but I'm unfamiliar with the source material.

We don't know much about Padme's culture. Wanting something is not equivalent to casting all others aspects of oneself aside and defining oneself by one person; a person you don't even see or talk to that much.

Padme doesn't have domesticity, she doesn't have a family life, she lives alone.

If by blissful you mean ignorant, then yeah I guess. I'm not sure how three years spent mostly apart is bliss.

TPM Padme does not appear to be of impoverished spirit, she seems full of spirit.

TPM Padme does not live a superficial life, her planet is invaded and she saves her people from starvation in concentration camps. She's got blaster bolts whizzing by her ears.

ROTS Padme's description of her life before Anakin does not ring true based on the person we saw in TPM.
    I'm not familiar with this work, but I've read plenty of good, classic romance novels. This wasn't it. This was shallow, imo.

Good romance moves me. This didn't raise my heart rate a beat.

....did she? "All I want is your love". She gave up on her duty in the Senate. She abandoned the galaxy and even Naboo to the Empire. Her choice was to run away with Anakin and leave everything behind. What duty is that? She begged him to run away. He rejected her. When he told her his plans, she chose to follow her conscience, to be sure, but this is a pretty low standard for duty.

And then she just gave up and died and left her kids and everything else behind.

19. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Sadly I believe this was cancelled :(

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It was never officially announced.

Lady_Skywalker87 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “Highest pride in domesticity” is not an issue as long as it is not relegated to one gender. When only women are supposed to take “highest pride in domesticity”, there’s a problem.

And being “first and foremost [someone’s] wife” involves having no identity of one’s own. “What’s wrong with that” isn’t even a question that can be answered—“What is OK about that” would have a shorter response.

Padme started out being a strong, independent woman and ended up being the worst caricature of female characters, one that needs to be left in the nineteenth century where it belongs. Stover nailed it. And I liked the novelization. One reason I liked it is this: in no way did I think he was endorsing Padme’s choice to completely surrender her identity and any toughness that she ever had.

22. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    I still think the most abysmal points of the A/P relationship were in AOTC - Vaderkin's going all college-frat-boy-creeper mode, with pick-up lines that should've earned him a death mark in 12 systems (those, and his murder-spree), and yet, Padme' keeps giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Padme's greatest strength is also her greatest weakness. She has a boundless ability to love - family, friends, strangers - and in most cases, it's an asset.

I think it's a disservice to ROTS Padme' to say that she was "a little woman." She was - with varying degrees of success - able to balance a secret marriage and pregnancy with actively attempting to preserve democracy in the face of an increasingly-rapid decay of said democracy.

But she's got an awful blind spot in Anakin. Awful. Her doubt at the start of AOTC - well-deserved doubt, seasoned with the "uh, you were 10 when last we met" hesitance - gave way in the face of ... well, first her compassion, and eventually, appreciation.

This is Vaderkin's secret weapon - Padme' is the one person left in the galaxy he can give the world to, if only via treating her like a queen.

Yes, of course, Padme' is Anakin's greatest weakness, it's Shakespearean, thousands of other people have posted this better than I have.

But what does Padme' really want? Sure, she puts her duty before herself, she strives for freedom, she even fights for it. She's a heroine.

But with Anakin, Padme' can just ... be ... herself. Padme' Naberrie, country girl from Naboo, without all the demands.

Except until she can't.

Except, until, Anakin starts choking her ex-boyfriend, starts torturing prisoners, keeps dredging up that authoritarian view of government.

It takes far too long, and Padme' acts at precisely the wrong moment - with Kenobi, I'd argue, unintentionally sealing her fate.

Don't misunderstand - Anakin Skywalker killed his wife. There's no getting around that, no sugar-coating it, no blaming Padme'.

Her only mistake - whether one wants to pin the fate of the galaxy on her, and I'd rather not, since Order 66 was really the tipping point, IMHO - was in not being willing to see the flaws of the one person who tried to let her be herself.

Until he didn't.

Until he tried to make her be what he wanted her to be, and she said no - as she had every right to do.

If there'd been just a slight change in the order of things - Padme' gives birth before going to confront Vaderkin - I sincerely doubt there'd even be arguments of whether she was a "little woman." She'd have been tragically courageous, giving her life for her children and the galaxy.

Instead, ROTS' closing is ... archaically poor in its structure. Padme' deserved a more mythic ending, a higher destiny.

Her funeral is what saves the closing of ROTS for me. The close-up of the japor snippet still gets me, just a little.

It's just sad that the journey to that heartbreaking moment isn't nearly worthy of the woman who set out on it.

23. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Fair enough. The discussion may become pointless though, as I did (AOTC & ROTS) and as a result we have different view points because I do consider them extensions of movie. Since this the Lit forum though, I'd like to believe they carry weight here.

Well, it certainly seems that way to a lot of people or Padmè in TCW would not have been such a mess sprinkled with an overuse of the moral
    mouthpiece that the archetype aspect of character leaves leeway for. To me, Padmè is a self-righteous, strong minded, unchanging, big hearted, compassionate, seemly stoic young Senator that wanted her cake and eat it too..being a wife and still be a prominent figure in the Senate-"I think you've convinced yourself that you're indispensable to the Republic," she said. "That they couldn't get along at all without you."- perhaps to rectify what happened when she chose to go into hiding; as views politics as public service and the passing of the MCA under her proxy Binks. While in secret being a leg support to the young man she married, who goes to fight the war she indirectly started...in end, because of her choices being indirectly responsible for what happens to her husband as well. THIS to me is Padmè Amidala Skywalker to me. This the character I wanted in TCW 3D and WANT in medium in general.

THAT right there is half of the tragedy from her end of things to me..the micro gives a nice peek into this, she's half a wife.

[​IMG]

=((

I've been waiting for something that reflects that truth of her for years..maybe that's why whenever I watch Memoirs, I end up thinking of Padmè. Plus the Williams score for that movie really fits her IMO as well as Chiyo/Sayuri.

TCW could 've fixed that.. they chose not to. My guess is, no body cared..as such a story doesn't fit with the perceptive conception of SW. Best example for this was when it homaged my favorite Hitchcock film: Notorious (1946) for Senate spy.
    The plot of that movie was perfect medium to showcase their actual marriage ...instead all I got was glorified pissing contest between them. The fact that Filoni wasn't able to give A/P a proper adaptation of the scene bellow will infuriate me for all time; made worse by the fact that Padmè meets the criteria of Hitchcock's female characters almost to perfection IMO.

To me it is obvious that he did even when great aspect of it was cut from the final movies. I believe that people miss it because (despite TCW's failed attempts to prove otherwise) she's not an extension of Leia's template as Ashoka is for example.

Then, this bickering is pointless.:p Basically a truthful and for me eye opening look at the role of women before the first wave of feminism in fiction.

I'll continue tomorrow..I have a curfew.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  24. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Actually, I thought the Novel and the AOTC did a solid job as setting Naboo as some kind of a Scandinavian country in present time, Ancient Athens and Victorian Era wrapped in a bow sprinkled with ancient world mythos here and there and given what I know, Padmè's "shift" and her family pushing her to settle down made sense to me... To each their own though. As far as not defining yourself by someone...is not much so, as being completely unveiled by someone to things that you were oblivious to about yourself in AOTC book padmè mentions how Anakin makes her naked in the non pervy way contrary to popular opinion and from my experience, it can be a power catalyst for change regarding internal views and Padmè's defence, I feel that she was open to the idea of a no strings attached relationship with Anakin as @BigAl6ft6 posted a few pages back...

Now if Jedi were not celibate what would make it dangerous??

Anakin ten years prior:
    Now I don't believe Padmè would remember this, but its possible that subconsciously she knew Anakin wouldn't settle for anything else.

Again, part of her tragedy...that TCW never show her dealing with, as they seem to see eachother every other episode, acting like children.:rolleyes:Right after ROTS came out, I often wondered if the timing of pregnancy was the result of this.

The micro showed that they cared for each other deeply and I'm sticking my interpretation of the marriage which is, had they not chosen to lie to each other to protect the other from their respective truth, they would have made it.

I-)I-)I-)I-) to be continued..

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Maybe this book could explain how she went from strong, fearless, clever, combat-trained senator in AOTC to useless, emotional, illogical wife in ROTS.