main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's Packing Dress in AOTC

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Hello everyone, when I first saw this dress, I fell immediatly in love with it, and now I am determined to make it for Celebration III.

Sadly though, I am not an expert costumer, and I need help with everything from the hair to the dress! Help!

-~Dormé~-

edit: unlocked

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Well, I'm still working on the hair, so I'll get bac to you on that part. But this costume doesn't seem all that hard to make.

First there is the skirt, which is pretty straight forward. I would use just a simple pattern that is used for prom dresses, or something simmilar. Then underneath the high necked vest piece is a shirt that looks an awful lot like a v-neck tank top, that is connected to the sleeves. For the sleeves I would suggest finding a rennaisance pattern and using just the sleeves off of it, and actually the skirt pattern from on of those would work as well.

Then there is the high necked vest. It fastens in the front and looks to be made out of a dark velvet. And there is a possibility that it is boned, or very stiff interfacing is used on it. I can't think of any patterns at the moment tho. As for that little front panel on it, it's part of the vest as well, probably embroidered.

Good luck with this!

3. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    If you watch the "Making of" video on costuming you can see really well how this dress is put together. I advise downloading it and watching it over and over with a notebook in hand. That's what I did for the picnic dress!

4. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    The making of p-19 shows a ton of detail on this dress. It shows Nat putting it on so you can see what's under the vest. I agree with Dana that if anyone is thinking of making the dress they need to see that video.

5. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    a question- I keep seeing the over vest (with the mandarin collar) in 2 different ways-a black velvet and then sometimes a dark charcoal gray.

Any feedback or observations??

6. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Now that I've finished my Picnic Dress I'm planning on making this one. Padme's dresses certainly are addictive. :)

Anyway, it's going to be a little while before I start (I'm working on a very different Civil War dress first) but I have two questions. Where can I download the making of video? I saw a few screenshots and they were very helpful, but I'd like to see more. Also, what do you think she has on under her dress to support the skirts? From the pictures it looks like something is supporting them, but I wasn't paying close attention to this dress during the movie (bad me) and don't think I'll have a chance to see it again soon. Do you think it may be a small hoop or corded petticoat or net petticoats? Or is this answered in the making of? I wish I could see it again so I get an idea myself...

Thanks,
    Katherine

7. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Katherine,
    You can see the making of video at StarWars.com this particular one is titled P-19. I *believe* they say she has full crinoline underneath the skirt (it doesn't look like a hoop to me) In the making of video you can see some great shots of how the dress is put on, hence constructed. The velvet part with the embroidery and mandarin collar appears to be like a "vest" underneath that it a bluish lycra looking V-neck top that the sheer puffy sleeves are attached to. The skirt appears to be seperate to me--reason I think that is that the under blouse (V-neck) appears to be quite fitted and possibly could be like one of those body suit type of things to stay smooth under the "vest" and stay tucked in to the skirt. Of course this is my take on it. For the fullness in the skirt you could line it and put rows of stiff net or crinoline about 12" up to kind of kick out the bottom without all the fullness towards the waistline.
    Take it for what it's worth :)
    -Ferd

8. GrayRacer

GrayRacer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    I saw an auction on EBAY a few minutes ago for that dress. Someone made it, it looks decent. I'm no dress expert so i dont know if it looks accurate and what not but you should check it out.

9. Adora

Adora Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2002
    Here's a helpful tip!

On the hardcover edition of the Attack of the Clones novel, on the back, there is a cloth design with beads and embriodery on it, this, I do believe, is the pattern on her corset! Hope that made sense, and I hope I've helped! Good Luck! :)

~* Adora *~

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes Adora, it looks like it is. :) Cool!
    This is a dress I would also love to make in the future.

11. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Good catch Adora! I never would have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out!

BTW, is your name a reference to She-Ra? I loved that show when I was a kid!!!

12. Koshka-the-Cat

May 27, 2002
    Ferdalump, thanks so much! I found the video, now I just need to get my quicktime working again. I use it so rarely that I have to download a new one every time I want to see something it seems. Oh well, it's definitely worth it!

I took advantage of a 50% off coupon at Joann that I didn't need for anything more immediate to buy the velvet today. I chose black, though I agree, it does look lighter at times.

I don't know what I'm going to do about the beading/embroidery yet. Maybe it's time for me to learn after all :)

Katherine

13. Adora

Adora Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2002
    Thanks, Obi-Dawn Kenobi, and Mrs_MayimNaar! When I bought the novel I knew it looked familar! Then I pieced it together after looking at Padmé's gown!

LOL!! Yes Mrs_MayimNaar, it's from She-Ra! I loved that show too! I was cleaning out my videos and found a bunch of old She-Ra & He-Man videos! I got to watch them, they were great! I always liked the name Adora, so that's how I came up with my screen name! ;)

~* Adora *~

14. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    GrayRacer, IMHO, the gown being offered on eBay does have some minor faults/inaccuracy. The skirt seems to lack the volume (not enough pleats?) while the top is just one piece ( from the explaination: 1 dress/skirt, 1 corset shirt w/ zipper back.).

But I do think the headband and front design had been well-done. The shirt too although the color seems a bit off (then again, it could be due to the lightings as Satin is always like that during photography sessions).

As for the price, well, I can't comment as I'm an eBay Bargain Hunter and Accuracy Freak when it comes to paying for a costume I didn't (re)design and assemble at the least the materials, myself. :p

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I was thinking that the top of this costume was more of a dark navy blue, rather than black. Anyone else agree with me? Maybe I'm just blind! After all, I did think that Padme's first tatooine costume was white rather than lt. blue! LOL

16. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    I have always though it to be navyblue as well. In the making of p-19 you can tell that it is blue.

17. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    That's the result of so many heads brainstorming together! We get more accurate as we goes along. ;)

18. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I always thought it was dark purple....

19. Koshka-the-Cat

May 27, 2002
    I think I initially thought it was dark blue, but I bought black velvet. Go figure :)

Like my picnic dress though, I'm not going for an exact reproduction, so if I'm a little off, I don't mind :)

Has anyone actually made this yet? I'd love to see pictures of reproductions...

Katherine

20. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    The underbodice does look like a royal blue in the Making Of video, but I've always thought the outer part, the vest, was a dark charcoal grey. *laugh* Maybe one day we'll get a consensus on what color it actually is.

Oh, and here are the Padawan's Guide screen shots: http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/silver/makingof_silver/

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    LOL StormtrooperPrincess! I was also under the impression that it's a dark charcoal gray.

edit: Those sleeves are just soooo yummy!

22. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Stormtrooper Princess- I think you and I share the same pair of eyes!!! I was just about to write and ask what all the confusion with color was about-the UNDER blouse or the OVER vest--when I came back and saw your post :)
    I totally agree with your observation: the under blouse looks darker, kinda grayish bluish and the over vest looks like charcoal gray velvet to me. I have heard a lot of people refer to it as lavender, and I can kinda see the silverish--gray skirt get that cast sometimes, and I suppose the sheer sleeves as well--I have seen cars painted that color appear almost lavender in the sunlight too. But I definately think the vest is a dark shade of gray.
    -Ferd :)

23. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Aah! I'm having flashbacks to the skirts/pants debate in the early days of the white-tat. thread!

24. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    Like in that debate, hopefully the pics will eventually reveal exactly what color it is.

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Here's a link to a high res pic of it:

high res

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.