main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's Packing Dress in AOTC

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cleopatramwi

Cleopatramwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    Lol, I hadn't considered that Dressing A Galaxy might be incorrect, and I was treating it as my Star Wars costuming bible.

I know that the voile that I used didn't work out too well, but I thought Amaryllis's skirt looked fantastic with the silk she used.

2. Amaryllis

Amaryllis Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    Wow, thank you Cleopatra! I really adored your gown, so it's exciting to hear that from you!

I think some of you already know, but I used the lightest silk tussah available from silkconnection.com for the skirt. I received my newsletter from them a month or so ago and it mentioned that they are discontinuing the silk tussah. If anyone is interested in using that fabric, you should probably order it soon. I just wanted to give everyone the heads up on that!

3. Sotis

Sotis Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    Amaryllis , you dress is just a masterpiece!
    Never liked this gown. Never liked the way it fits Natalie. Never considered to even look at this dress' way. You made me reconsider the last part!
    I ADORE how it fits you! You are so lovely in this dress [face_love]. It's only my opinion, but I really think it fits you much better than Natalie. You are so beautifull in it...@};-
    Now I'm doing packing gown, too. And only because of you. Thanks for that!

4. Sotis

Sotis Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    Well, I've started this dress. My first step is armbands.
    [image=http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/6093/dsc05191cc4.jpg] [image=http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/1629/dsc05178er2.jpg]
    I think it won't hurt to share the details of constraction. I hope this will help to others :)
    First of all, it's not metal, it's plastic! As a result - a wonderful light weight and neat fitting. For the base I used an ordinary plastic cup for cold food. I cut the top of it with a metal-working saw (the plastic is rather thick, 3 mm), polished the cut with 2 different sandpapers, fused the edges. I put on the design with a 3D paint. Then, I painted the whole thing with an aerosol enamel. After drying I added the 'stones' with acryl paint.

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    They look lovely!

6. Cleopatramwi

Nov 30, 2006
    They look nice!
    Mine are sooooo heavy, I have to secure them really tight to make sure they don't fall down and the weight of the 8 bracelets is awful!

7. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    So this dress has been sitting around since last November and I?ve decided to redo it for dragon con.

2 quick questions:
    1) How do you do the headdress? I was going to attach football shaped wire mesh to a headband and cover it with fake hair. But how does one attach fake hair? Hot glue?
    2)I'm using an embroidery machine to replicate the gray chain stitch design under the beads. Has anyone done this? Or might have a pattern already digitized? Just checking.

Thanks ya'll- good to be back at this costume!

8. Amaryllis

Amaryllis Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    Holy cow, thank you so much! I'm glad you couldn't see velcroed/glued/mounting taped mess on the back of my armbands. xD

I'm excited to see how your dress turns out as well! I've been in love with the Packing Gown for a long time. I love corsets and I think the hair is gorgeous. And BIG FLUFFY SKIRTS are always good. :D So far, your armbands look great! Makes me want to go back and de-ghettoffy mine.

9. Amaryllis

Amaryllis Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    I'm not sure who you were directing this at, but I'll give my two cents.

I did my headdress by sculpting a big block of styrofoam (my dad got it from his job site, he works in construction) into the shape I wanted and covering it with hair by using clear adhesive caulk. I thought it ended up looking shiny and plastic-y. If I could do it again, I would do it slower and more carefully and try not to have any caulk show on outer hair.

I don't have an embroidery machine, so I had to do it all by hand ;_; I'm afraid I can't be much help on that one.

I know Cleopatra used wire mesh and her headdress turned out great. I think you're probably on the right track!

10. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    *click* Shot fabric, aka two tone aka iridescent (though technically in fabrics that refers to at least three different colours ) I had though it looked shot but wondered if that was an effect of the two layers woven together. I've seen a few examples of this type, usually the threads are quite stiff so the fabric is quite stiff.

Cleopatramwi and Amaryllis your work is absolutely gorgeous. Fantastc stuff :)

11. Cleopatramwi

Nov 30, 2006
    I covered my wire mesh with felt and then sewed the hair to the felt. I did secure some of the ends with hot glue. It works best if you can get "weave" style hair that has a sewn edge so there is something to put the needle through. I wouldn't recommend using human hair. I started using human hair and ended up with flyaways no matter what I did.

I did my embroidery by hand as well.

12. fairyprincess

fairyprincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    Amaryllis your gown is stunning and I am sure the photos do not give it justice!

I like the look of hte fabric you used for the skirt, which is what I am having difficulty with. I went to Silk Connection and they still have it but before I do can you tell us what the fabric is like? Weave, texture and if it was easy to dye?

Also, what colour dye did you use? The colour is amazing!

13. Amaryllis

Amaryllis Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    Ahh I'm not very good with technical terms but I will try. It's very lightweight with a tiny bit of stiffness. It seemed heavier and stiffer when I first bought it - numerous dyeing attempts and copious amounts of handling softened it. It has some lines running through it (is that called slubbing? I dunno) in both directions, but not nearly as thick or pronounced as the vertical lines on Padme's. The dyeing helped these lines stand out, which made me happy.

As far as the dye goes, honestly I don't really remember. It's a mix of RIT pearl grey and I think slate blue? Some kind of blue. Maybe navy? Also a little black, in my final attempt, to get a nice dark saturation. I dyed it three or four times, so the mixture is really convoluted. It came out too light and too blue the first times, so I mixed up the combination of dyes and tried again a few more times.

Also, there are/were two kinds of tussah on silk connection and I can't remember which one I bought =X I need to start writing these kinds of things down.

Thank you for your comments, I'm glad you like my gown! I need to clean it up a little bit and wear it again soon. :D

14. fairyprincess

Aug 11, 2007
    Thank you! I think the hardest thing about the skirt is finding that right texture. But your looks great so I will go with that! How many yards did you use?

15. Amaryllis

Amaryllis Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    Ten yards.

16. fairyprincess

Aug 11, 2007
    I am nearly finished my beading and embroidery on my vest and have come to a problem. What to do around the edges! Is it a yarn or beading? I don't know what to do! Any suggestions?

17. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Nope, it's not a shot fabric. That's much more even with the warp being one color and the weft another. This fabric is not so even. It is more like a natural hand woven type of fabric where you occasionally have cross wise or horizontal fibers that are darker. It's not even like a shot fabric at all. One close idea is this fine fawn wild silk "muga" but I got a swatch and it is too coarse and slubby. I swear, they used a very unique weave or fiber blend I have not yet been able to find anything exactly like it.

You mean the very edge going around the design? It is not beads. It is either a flat trim (kind-of rope like) or actually individual silk-like yarn strands. I tend to think it is some kind of flat trim with maybe a knit-like quality (not stiff) The trim is couched down at intervals with two rows of silvery-gray heavy silk or rayon yarn/floss. It don't believe it was metallic either.

18. fairyprincess

Aug 11, 2007
    Thanks Kay Dee, I was leaning towards the yarn. I read somewhere that is was beading (whether this was an observation or not?). I will go with the yarn!

19. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    reads and takes notes I feel a 're do' in my veins...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Adalia-Durron/DCP_0021.jpg]

Made mine before AOTC even was released, wasnt even on the boards at that stage either, so might have to go there again. ;)

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Gosh, I looked at it pretty closely at FIDM since it was in the front row of costumes and I remember thinking 'oh, this is not beads... it is a fiber trim couched down'. I looked again at my DAG book and it was as I remembered, some sort of trim made of fibers. Not rows of seed beads. I kind of suspect it might not be rows and rows of yarn, but I've never come across a flat knit-like trim like that yet so I'd guess couching down strands of something like heavy silk or rayon floss could give the next best impression :)

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    That's awsome for being made before the movie was even released! I know how it feels to want to do a redo. I keep telling myself to start my picnic redo but I'm so nervous to dive in again. I've set my expectations too high and I don't know if I'm ready to really have the patience to do it right.

22. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Thanks, it was a real labour of love back then. I had young kids ( under 4 ) and finding time to even study it let alone make it was a struggle. But I think there are some elements I can recycle, so have dragged it out. There was a store here with a huge range of beads that closed today, but till today all their stock was up to 50% off, so I picked up a few beads in preparation. Kids go back to school next week, so I hope to make a start then.

23. fairyprincess

Aug 11, 2007
    I have completed (somewhat my vest embroidery!!!!

I would share a pic but it does not want to work for me but as soon as I figure it out I will post!

24. fairyprincess

Aug 11, 2007
    [image=http://web.address/image.gif]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg171/fire-elfweb/100_1327.jpg/imgage]

Nope. Still can't do it?

25. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    The code is suppose to be [image=(Fill In Photo Link)] ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.