main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's Packing Dress in AOTC

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Aiyah! :oops: Replace the (Fill In Photo Link) with http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg171/fire-elfweb/100_1327.jpg lah. ;)

Anyhow, I'll post it for you:

[image=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg171/fire-elfweb/100_1327.jpg]

Ps: When you post, did you see the |image| button above the posting area? Just click on it, fill in the prompt screen with the actual address of the photo and you get your photo. ;)

2. Amaryllis

Amaryllis Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    It looks wonderful! I got lazy and did my own thing on my embroidery. The lines on yours look really crisp and accurate. Great job!

3. fairyprincess

fairyprincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    Thank you Darth Eagle!!!

Thank you Amaryllis! I am happy with it! I have bought some yarn for the outside bits but haven't done anything about it yet!

4. blueeyedpadme

blueeyedpadme Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2007
    I'm working on a version of this costume. Looking for hair tomorrow...

My question is about shoes --- What type of shoes did y'all wear for this
    outfit

:) This is my first try sewing something myself since high school - I've been practicing - so it might
    look a little "home sewn" at first but I will keep working on improving it as I continue
    to practice on some of Padme's other costumes. I've been trying to buy cheaper fabric
    because of the learning curve involved.

I've use some patterns and also created patterns on my own. I have some drawing and artistic
    abilities so I thought I would give sewing a try again. I can have more costumes if I make
    them myself and not pay someone else to do them all. I thought this one looked like it has a
    pretty basic construction, if you didn't do the corset underneath.

I'll post pictures when I'm done. I'm waiting for some silver chain to come in the mail that I'm
    going to use for the head piece and I'm waiting for some of the beads for the center piece. I
    think the center piece will be the hardest unless I painted it. I think I'll do one both ways.

:)

5. Amaryllis

Amaryllis Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    I just wore black ballet flats. :D I'm not sure what she actually wears.

6. Cleopatramwi

Cleopatramwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    I always wear ballet slippers. With the steel trap corset and major headgear I like my feet to be comfortable! I believe the originals were a basic black high heel.
    Padawan's Guide has images posted from the Rose Bowl parade:

http://www.padawansguide.com/kelsey/pack_hr18.jpg

7. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    We noticed that a lot of the shoes the girls were given to try on the dresses with were not the originals. I think Kelsey was also given heels to try on the picnic dress with and we know the original shoes were ballet flats. I wish there was a way to know! I'll probably use a low heel pump, unless I can dig up some crazy screen cap that shows a hint of her shoe (doubt it).

8. blueeyedpadme

Nov 22, 2007
    thanks -- I might have one or two more pleats to put in my skirt but I think it is ready for Coastcon... I'll work on finishing the blouse sleeves next but I'll need to find some better fabric in the long run but finishing what I have for April (which is just around the corner) :)

9. Aure

Aure Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2004
    When I did this dress back in 2005 I had no idea what kind of shoes to wear. Eventually I decided to to use black ballerinas, since we did know Padme wears ballerinas with her Picnic gown. However, after I finished the dress I saw a netsite *somewhere* where someone had studied the screen caps and decided that Padme wears black pumps with the dress. I checked my links and all the sites I used to visit regulary searching tips, but couldn't find the site.

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, I tried checking the p-19 documentary, did screen caps and slow motion on the movie. You never see the shoes. Heck, I'm just going to be happy if I get the rest of it looking good. It would be nice to know what shoes she wears, but not critical ;)

11. Aure

Aure Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2004
    Yeah, I think you are right. I remember looking at the screencaps and thinking "I can't see anything".

12. blueeyedpadme

Nov 22, 2007
    Posted photo of my costume that I'm working on in my My Space pics

here is my space...

myspace.com/samsart

You can kind of see where I'm going with it. I set it up over a chair because I don't have a dress form.

:)

13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Darn, I tried clicking the pics link on your myspace page and it just takes me to the main myspace home page thing.

In packing dress news, I found some flat knit trim at International Silks and woolens that seems to be the right stuff for the border of the embroidered panel, but it was not the correct width or color. The woman who manages the trim department brought out the trim catalog, and the knit flat trims come in a variety of widths and colors. Though, it was tough to judge a color match based on photos of the trim colors rather than actual samples of trims. I've got a couple of contenders noted and just needed to come home and do some scale measurements before I ask her to place an order for some trim. (I think 9mm is correct, just need to do the math). Once I decide the width I'm hoping she can order both ivory and one of the colors I *think* could be right. Problem was there are about 3 colors that could be contenders, but I doubt she can order all of them. Worst case, I can dye the ivory the right color. I'll just be happy to have the correct type of trim in the correct width. I'd imagine others will be happy to get some of this too.

I'll post an update when I have more info on the trim and how to order it.

14. peregrintook310

peregrintook310 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2008
    Hey everyone! I'd really love to make the Packing Gown in the near future, and I remembered that someone on here said that you could find pieces of metal for scrapbooking by 'Making Memories', that looked alarming close to the silver arm bands.

Does anyone know if these can still be found anywhere?

Thanks!

15. fairyprincess

fairyprincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    You can go through their website! I had a look at them but have put this one on hold!

16. peregrintook310

peregrintook310 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2008
    I emailed 'Making Memories' and apparently they've stopped making these :(.

Does anyone have any leads as to where someone might still have some for sale??

17. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    It's good to be back to Padme costuming! I successfully ordered the making memories bands as soon as A*tastic told me about them soon after Dcon 2006. But the link I used is no longer working. I know A*tastic found them at Big Lots. You might try scrapbook stores that might still have them on the shelves or ebay?

I am dusting off this costume. I made a mockup, the skirt, the shirt and 70% of the vest, then came down with Mono in 2006 and forgot about it until now- My version 1.0 was such a flop, I refused to take pictures of it. The fabric was wrong and the sleeves weren't puffy enough, but at least I can still use the vest pattern that I drafted. I found the perfect fabric for $1 /yd at Wal-Mart for the skirt and shirt. Like all $1 /yd fabric the label only says "undetermined fiber content". I've had it in my closet for the past year waiting to finish my other projects. Here is beside my leftover Zam neoprene: [image=http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/19/75/BC/i1975BC2F-C932-47C9-B1BA-EF9866107269.jpg]

I've decided not to use my embroidery machine for the light gray chain stitching on the front. It looks very "thrown on" from the DAG book, so I will be making chain stitch "chains" using my serger and attaching them to the tulle covered front piece with fabric glue or invisible thread. This sounds right in my head, but application may be another story.

I am also not making her undergarments. I already have a corset and a small 2 hoop skirt covered in tulle from a bridal dealer on e-bay. One less thing to do.

Kay_Dee- I'm very interested in the ribbon. Please keep us posted. I'm in, if you have to have a minimum amount to order.

Also, has anyone made her suitcase? Just curious!

18. cressie

Jul 12, 2006
    I found the ribbed silk sleeve fabric today! I just ordered the amount needed for the sleeve and i'm hoping that it's close enough.
    [image=http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-17509616028471_2007_1247931.gif]
    http://www.goldensilks.net/ribbed-silklinen--grey-54qu54.html
    She has 16 yards left, according to her e-bay site.

Anyone find the flat button covers? The ones i've found in stores are slighty rounded. Any idea about the size? 3/4?

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Cressie, I don't think that's the correct sleeve fabric :( What you have found seems to have a linen blend. It might not be chiffony (is that a word, lol!) and flowy enough. If it's the same as this ribbed silk linen at Thai silks I can guarantee it isn't right. http://www.thaisilks.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_68&products_id=733 It's a heavier rib, and kind of stiff. Nice for interior decorating I think.

I decided to get this silk from Thai Silks. creponne satin chiffon. It isn't irridescent crinkled chiffon like used on the real costume, but the satin quality to it gives it subtle sheen. I won't know if I'm happy with it though until I try to dye it. I can tell it is probably slightly thicker than the real sleeve fabric. But I hunted all over for irridescent crinkled chiffon in the right color and couldn't find it.

My back up plan is to either a) get iridescent gray chiffon that isn't crinkled if I find the right color in LA. b) Dye crinkled chiffon, and it won't be iridescent.

As for the trim, I looked at some of the white narrow trim I'd gotten in downtown LA and think it should be fine, so I didn't want to bother ISW with randomly ordering a bunch of colors. I guess I should do a dye test, but I don't have time right now. I thought I was going to make this for Dragon*Con, but I ended up making an x-wing pilot costume instead for Disneyworld so that busted my plans.

20. cressie

Jul 12, 2006
    Thanks so much for your input Kay Dee! It's great to talk to someone who has seen the real dress! So Jealous!

AH... I see what you are talking about with the linen and the heaviness. It's so hard to buy fabric on the internet. Is the real dress sleeves almost sheer? I'll keep my eyes open for something better, or I might use this light poly fabric from my stash, it reflects light well and I might not have to dye it:
    [image=http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/D7/93/3F/iD7933FED-D6B5-4ACF-A296-50CEE5CD74A8.jpg]

Are you also going to dye the velvet for the vest charcoal? Or can we get away with using black velvet?

I?m trying to finish this for Dragon-con- we?ll see how far I get :)

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Cressie, your photo links don't work. I'm guessing it is because dotphoto does not allow people to place images on other web sites?

Yes, the real sleeve fabric is a sheer crinkled chiffon. Very much like the picnic dress skirt fabric, only it had a slight iridescent sheen. The reason it doesn't seem so sheer is that it is lined with an opaque matching fabric. I'm not sure, but my guess is a lightweight georgette.

The bodice is actually a super dark blue-green. Like, if there is such a thing as charcoal green that's what I'd call it. Since I have not seen any velvet this color, I'm going to try to dye it. I bought the black grounded/natural pile silk velvet from Thai silks, I think it should work if I dye it a really dark green (like a green mixed with a bit of blue and black).

I really wish I had time to do this this year.

Oh, I saw you are using a hoop skirt you have on hand for the undergarment. I know some hoop skirts allow you to pull out the hoop wires temporarily. Maybe experiment with that and see if it is still full enough without the wires since it sounds like it has some tulle in it to make it poofy. The only reason I mention it is that the real skirt only has a ruffled petticoat underneath, no wires. But if you have to leave in the wires I understand :)

22. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    Check out my fabric finds for this costume here: http://angelsofiego.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22&p=2284&sid=d655f196b7e0ddeb26e486b730215cb8#p2284

The silk crinkled chiffon I got looks DEAD on to me for the sleeves.

23. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    That's good news Becca! I had found crinkled gray chiffon at quite a few stores in LA and San Francisco, but never the 'perfect' gray. Then again, I need to stop being so overly picky. I never get anything made at the rate I'm going.

24. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    Seriously, I think the sleeve fabric is spot on and the color looks very good to me but not having seen this one in person, I can only go by DAG and other reference material but I think with self lining it, it will not be that sheer and the gray look pretty good to me.

25. cressie

Jul 12, 2006
    Wonderful! Another suggestion and I just bought it too!
    I'll take a picture of the swatch from GoldenSilk and the silk crinkled chiffon from Fashion Fabrics Club. I also got an iridescent poly georgette from JoAnns and dyed it tonight. I'll put all 3 together and take a pic as soon as the other fabrics arrive.

I?d also like to try this Iridescent Chiffon from Thai Silks. But I?d hate to order it without seeing a swatch. It?s not gray, but steel blue is pretty close.

Yup Kathy, the hoop I have has removable steel hoops, 2 layers of tulle and a lining. I have another tulle slip I could add if needed. So the underskirt is just tulle? Not a corded petticoat or anything? It looks fuller than that.

For the shirt I am using Simplicity 4487 View E with modifications. I?ve made it before and the cuff is right except for lengthening it and adding 1 more button to each cuff. (Pattern calls for 12 and real dress had 14 buttons). However the fullness of the sleeves will need to be adjusted and lengthened for puffiness. Thank goodness we don?t have to make buttonholes!

I?ll update my pictures with correct pictures soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.