main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's Packing Dress in AOTC

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cleopatramwi

Cleopatramwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    Thanks, I think the quality of materials is better on the replica, the skirt in particular. Regarding the bodice fitting, I did notice it looked a bit loose myself. Mine is *extremely* heavily boned. But I did wonder if it just looks loose because it is on a mannequin? Most human women aren't shaped like mannequins, so I would figure it would actually fit a person far better than the mannequin. Although, I would wonder how something as fitted as that vest could be mass-produced?

And thanks regarding my picnic dress! I'm so happy it is finished!

2. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    Cleopatramwi, I would agree that your Packing gown is very lovely. We do have to remember that these are prototypes and so they might be better than the actual items(I actually heard that was said during Preview Night by the MR reps) so I would actually expect the quality to go down on the mass produced stuff. And your Picnic Gown was very easy to approve, it was a pleasure like all your costumes are(sorry it took so long, just very busy with real life stuff). I am just very critical due to the fact that I believe they could really do better since so many fans work so hard on their costumes and don't want to take anything away from them. Working hard on a costume and getting to do cool charity events are the great benefits of SW costuming that I don't want money to be able to just buy.

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm curious, was there a price listed for it? Is this something the masses can afford?

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Around $1000.

5. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002

Yeah, I was trying not to be too critical of the MR bodice because it could easily have been made for a slightly different size or shape than that mannequin. I have Pamde costumes that are so fitted to my body (like the blue Padme midriff family gown) that I can't even get it on my mannequin! I'm also slightly surprised they chose the packing gown as a mass produced costume due to the bodice fitting issues. People are probably going to have to take it to a taylor to get it altered to fit properly. I don't think that it will fit everyone perfectly right out of the box/bag.

6. blueeyedpadme

blueeyedpadme Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2007
    Do you think this would work for the arm bands?

http://www.addictedtoscrapbooking.com/ProductDetail?ProductDetail.SKU=6-758-463707&ProductDetail.ListIndex=2

:) Samantha

7. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    nice find! the only thing I see is that it's not wide enough to fold the edges over the elastic to encase it.

8. Amaryllis

Amaryllis Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    I just wanted to chime in and join the depression over the MR version. Why the Packing Gown? So few people do it...I thought it was perfectly safe and settled as obscure. It will be hard to feel special wearing mine now, when so many people will assume I just bought the MR version.

I guess this means it really is time to upgrade my hairpieces, lol. That's the only part of this costume that matters now. ;___;

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Courtney, trust me. No one can mistake yours for the MR one. ;)

10. Cleopatramwi

Nov 30, 2006
    I concur.

Courtney, your gown is awesome! When I wear mine people mistake me for you!!

It does depress me that they have chosen this gown to replicate. Strange choice, it is rather too fussy for mass production, IMO.

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, a fitted velvet bodice with embroidery... it's begging not to fit people correctly. I also tend to think they didn't use crushed velvet, but that when they worked with the velvet it got crushed (it has to be handled so carefully!)

12. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Yes, but yours is so much better and fitted properly. i also think it was an odd descision. Why not something like the Blue Tatooine Poncho or Light Blue Tatooine dress. Both would have been easier on them and less mistakes in accuracy and fitting issues.

13. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Wooooooord.

14. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I think they're going along the line of something that is "popular" or had been seen more by the general fans, apart from having the possibility of being used for "real life" like Weddings or Dinner Invitation or Graduation or Festival etc. LOL! Somehow this giving me an idea of what to make for my Aidilfitri this Oct, minus the underskirt as it looked very "proper" (then again, am too broke to get the proper materials for it, apart from my accuracy anal self insisted in getting as much accuracy as possible)

Or maybe LFL told them to make this one. :p

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I saw the Windlass Studios/Museum Replicas prototype of this at Dragon*Con. It was ok. The front embroidered panel seemed a bit off here and there with the colors, but all in all it wasn't terrible.

I did ask the rep about the hair and head jewelry. He said they had no plans to offer either because the hair piece is too intricate for them to produce. He said the real one was 'woven into the actress's hair'. *shrug*

Then I asked him what other Padme costumes they would be making. He said the picnic dress and her white battle suit (torn and untorn). Now I know how you ladies feel because I don't really want them to make the picnic dress. [face_plain]

16. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Dawn, I was speaking with the same guy and I passed along my business card in case he needs trims ;) He'll be sending me photos in the next week or so :)

I was shocked at the choice for the Picnic gown, after all the hard work people have put into these elaborate gowns, the average Joe will think we all bought ours instead of spending years reseaching and building :( (okay, so I did buy my picnic gown premade ;) lol).

17. Cleopatramwi

Nov 30, 2006
    Oh nice, they'll be selling both the Packing gown and the Picnic gown?
    Now I'm really annoyed.

18. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Also spoke with one of the reps at D*C-- and he said the decisions on what costumes to make were based on which ones had fabrics they could reproduce accurately. Packing and picnic still seem odd in that regard, but that's what he said.

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, I have to admit I stood there with an angry look on my face when I heard the news that essentially 3 of my costumes are ones they are making *sigh* (Well, I'm working on the Packing Gown, I've got a crappy picnic gown but all the stuff to make a new picnic gown, and I have a Leia ceremonial gown.) He seemed to think I was angry because I thought he was taking away from the business of small home sewers. That's not at all why I'm upset. I don't make those elaborate costumes on commission - so he's not taking anything away from me in that regard. I'm just upset because now the fan made costumes will be less unique. I didn't mind working my butt off on my costumes or helping other people with advise when it was like we were creating unique works of art. We'd each have our own take on our versions of these costumes anyway, so no two packing gowns or picnic gowns were ever 100% alike.

I still say the packing gown and picnic gown make sense from a fabric availability point of view. Also, ease of construction. It's part of the reason I chose those gowns. OK, yeah, the rainbow lake gown has fabric that is available but the construction is a bit trickier and the ombre dying might be something they would rather not mess with in mass production. Well, lucky for them they can go to Padawan's guide and find out what fabrics to use and where to get everything :rolleyes: Oh well, I've just got to get over it and get back to trying to have fun making this costume to the best of my ability and limited resources :( It's not like I can go visit the archives or have access to the LFL photo database like Museum Replicas does. Crap.

20. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    I too would have to agree that my feelings were the same as yours, kaydee, that with mass production, the costumes we make lose something. And alas, they do plan to make the Rainbow Lake Dress as well(they told me as I wore the one I just bought from Kell on Sunday). As a rep of the RL, we want to make sure that someone does NOT purchase these gowns and slap them on only to do high profile events. As a charity organization, we want the best but we also want people who do the little troops as well as the big high profile LFL events. We value people who put the time in and just don't show up for the high profile stuff in a costume they bought b/c they can afford it. The WS people told me that they will not make most of the TPM gowns due to affordablity and the ability to find suitable materials(other than the TPM Maroon Battle). Most of the AOTC and ROTS gowns are much more simple(relatively) to reproduce than anything from TPM and make it look nice.

21. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Costuming is indeed an art form. An individual maker always leaves their own mark. Anyone with an eye will know and admire that they have created their own. The Titanic and LOTR communities I belong to had licensed costumes released, still making costumes flourished, even gaining new information from the replicas for our own. After all "I bought it" doesn't have the same reaction as "I made it", nor the pride and glow of wearing your own creation.

$1000 for a supposedly 'mass marketed' :eek: costume is serious money. I doubt we will be seeing many, much like the J. Peterman Titanic gowns. With that price point these are for die-hard Star Wars fans, fans that love the costume enough to be willing to pay 1G to wear it. Star Wars fans buying quality costumes is nothing new. Fans (including RL members) are already buying costumes and parts from online makers, ebay, family, friends, and other costumers to wear. I thought costumes were allowed in RL by standards of excellence. Honestly, this stigma of the licensed costumes confuses me, as neither of my other communities reacted against those who bought them.

My hope is that Museum Replicas will sell accessories separately like they did for LOTR and sell Padme shoes. Those we can add to our own creations. I do want to see how they will construct the outfits. Maybe even release some previously unseen photos in their catalogs like J.Peterman did. It's by no means as good as another Dressing a Galaxy exhibit, but it's from people who have access to the real deal and these we can touch. I hope eventually these costumes and their release can be used to enhance our research and eventually our own costumes with the details they reveal, instead of being a point of frustration.

22. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    That's weird, he told us on Monday that they were going to be doing the head jewelry, they were in the process of finding a jeweler or something (jainamsolo, kay_dee, can you remember his words better than I?)

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe he was just referring to the hair when I was talking to him. :)

24. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeah, I remember him talking about the three different headpieces that NP had for that dress-- saying they were not sure what they were going to do.

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, I remember him saying they had a jewelry maker who made the arm bands and were looking into or considering having them make the hair jewelry. But he seemed to not want to make the wig hair pieces, and then mentioned how 3 different types had been made for Natalie.

I had asked at Comic-Con if they'd sell the arm bands seperately and he said no. Again, I wouldn't mind if they changed their mind because I don't know I can make mine as well. I'm no silver smith. I just don't have a workshop and tools to do that. (then again, the real armbands were embossed metal sheets... that I think I can do!)

I'm sorry if I seem to have a negative reaction to the fact that fans will be able to buy the mass produced garments. You are right, I didn't have too bad of a reaction when they offered the Lord of the Rings costumes. But I guess I had not invested years into researching those and had as much of an emotional and time investment in the LOTR costume hobby if that makes sense? I'd never hold it against anyone for buying an MR gown, not at all! It's just my personal sadness about working hard on a costume that will now be a little less special because others can now buy a nearly perfect one. It won't be the same as mine, which could be good or bad. I can only hope mine will be as good as the MR gown if not better in some ways.

Oh great, they are making the rainbow lake gown too! *sigh* Yes, he also told us that the TPM costumes are way too costly and materials are too hard to find. Haha, that's why I've also never attempted one of those gowns, too friggin labor intensive. There are two I have in mind, I'd do the Parade gown first. That seems doable. God, please don't tell me they are doing the purple senate dress. The fabric is available, I bet you they will consider making that one too.

As far as Rebel Legion goes, I don't think we can presume to control if people will want to buy these gowns just to try to troop big events. People can do what they want. If someone has a costume LFL likes, they'll get to do the event in that costume. If MR offers the superior costumes then that's what people will be able to troop in I guess. Heck, not everyone in the Rose Parade made their own costumes and that's totally OK. They were fans, they did the research and found ways to get the most accurate costumes they could even if they couldn't make them themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.