main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's Packing Dress in AOTC

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I've finally found a purpose for all those scraps that I've been keeping around :)
    Barbie clothes are becoming a fun little project. I made some for Sydney-but I have decided to sale a few for some extra "Moo-Lah". This dress is my latest creation-- You can see it here if you want:

Mini Me Padme Packing Dress

Ferd :)

2. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    As always, cute as cute can be, Ferd!

I am slowly gathering materials for this dress, although I'm not sure when I'll actually get around to it. I had great luck with some cotton velveteen I found for the bodice -- it came in a darkish gray color, but wasn't charcoal enough. One run through the washer with a pack of black RIT and it's a very very close match, I think!
    Woooohoooooo!

-sg

3. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Okay, I've finished the underskirt/crinoline part. I've sewn most of a corset (I used a modified renaissance corset design) but I'm waiting for boning. So I'm going to start on the skirt. My problem--the dupion I bought has the slubs going vertically from selvedge to selvedge, not horizontally across the fabric. Although the real one has the slubs going around the skirt, not up and down, it doesn't have seams that I can find, so I think it was made from an entire length. So my options are: 1. cut it into pieces and seam it so that the slubs go around the skirt. 2. leave it as is and sew it so that the slubs go up and down. What do you guys think?

4. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    If it were my choice, I'd cut it in gored pieces so that the slubs run horizontally, mostly just because I prefer the way a gored skirt looks to the way a simple length of fabric gathered to a waistband does. Also, if the skirt is full enough, it helps hide the seams.

5. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I have to agree and say Horizontal. I think the style of the skirt lends itself to a horizontal running design/slugs. I think if the vertical "pattern" bothers you now, even just a little--it will ALWAYS bug you and you will never forgive yourself for not taking the extra time and doing it like the original.

6. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    Well, it's not a matter of taking more time to do it right, it's a matter of whether the inauthentic seams will bother me more than the inauthentic slub pattern. I think I'm going to cut and piece it, but I'll dye it first, then decide :D.

7. Astuce

Astuce Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2003
    I've started making just the top vest portion of this dress and while I've also probably started in the wrong place(!) but I just felt like a playing with beads for bit. The base is a piece of upholstery brocade, I just went looking for something with a central motif approximately the right size and then the vest itself will be the brown crackled velveteen underneath. (I am absolutely in love with this fabric just on general principle.)

Some detail here
    and
    here.

Astuce

ps. that barbie dress just rocks.

8. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Astuce Your panel is looking great! That piece of fabric looks perfect. So, this is going to be another "everyday" wear piece for you? Cool!

Ferd
    P.S. Thanks for the compliment [face_blush]

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Ooooooooo, Astuce, it's wonderful! I really like your choice of colors.

10. Astuce

Astuce Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2003
    So here's a question for anyone building or having built the vest portion of this dress. Where did you put the seams? Did you run them out through the armhole or up into the shoulder? Did you dart instead? TELL ME! I've actually already made the decision to go up through the shoulder making a four piece back and four piece front. Mainly because I like the vertical lines, a little more gutsy and armour-like. (also because I've got a wide back, no boobs and a relatively small waist so I get a better fit this way) But I'm curious if anyone based the seam placement on any particular photographs.

Astuce

11. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    Well, I haven't gotten that far yet, I wanted to finish my corset first, but I imagined the front in 4 pieces and the back in three, with princess seams that curve to meet the armhole on both. It definately fits over the corset I designed better, and I think it's more flattering. I haven't really studied the pics much yet, though.

12. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I haven't made a "big" version yet, but have started one, and will finish it sometime soon, I hope. Anyways--going by this picture there appears to be a seam near the shoulder.

I agree with the need for a corset--that vest is FITTED!

13. Astuce

Astuce Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2003
    Thanks Ferd! There's definitely a seam that runs up into the shoulder which is handy karma because, given how the garment slopes past the natural shoulder, it gives a convenient place to rotate out the fullness that you generally end up with at the back when you do that. Here and here and here are three in progress shots. I need to decide where the line is for the front of the armhole but everything else is pretty much set. The lining I'm using is a piece of misprinted black cotton which had double the normal amount of ink put on it. As a result, even after washing, it's stunningly stiff. Even so, I'll probably back it with an interfacing. This vest is going to be one up-standing citizen.

Astuce

14. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Ohh, that looks awesome, Astuce! Can't wait to see more!

Edit: One up-standing citizen--lol! [face_laugh]

15. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    WOW! That is just awesome! I can't wait to see more of this dress.

Has anyone started the Hair, or have any ideas as to what you're doing for that part?

AMi

16. Astuce

Astuce Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2003
    A wee update with three pics. ( sorry about the copy and paste, I'm having trouble making the link.)

http://server3002.freeyellow.com/dadoandrabbit/RPF/packing-1.jpg

http://server3002.freeyellow.com/dadoandrabbit/RPF/packing-2.jpg

http://server3002.freeyellow.com/dadoandrabbit/RPF/packing-3.jpg

The vest is now done, all lined and faced and blocked. The only thing missing is the bars for the interior hooks. (There's one row that runs down the outside edge and then I put a second row on the inside edge, mainly just to distribute the stress) . And I have to say, the thing fits pretty well.

I'm redoing the front panel, using the same fabric, but I've repositioned it a little and changed the shape.

avanti!
    Astuce

17. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Thats really good!!! What pattern did you use for the vest? Give tips cause im about to redo mine soon!

18. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    That looks really great, Astuce!

19. Astuce

Astuce Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2003
    Thanks for all the kind words. And it's amazing how a foot and a half of snow will induce you to sit on the couch and sew on a whole pile of bars! so that's done.

Jedi_Samantha: I'm sorry I can't help you with a pattern but I flat-drafted mine. But I was thinking that (way back! hah!) in the 80s when prairie dresses where in style, a lot of them had a bodice which resembles this vest... high collar, centre opening, vertical shaping running out through the shoulder. It would require some fooling with but that might be a place to start. I'm sure that there are still patterns like that buried in the pattern books.

As far as tips, because it's so fitted make sure you undersew your facings and I backed the lining (cotton duck, not a poly lining) with interface for added oomph. I made this vest to wear over jeans but it would be crucial to make sure you fit it over your skirt to get it to lay out with the right amount of flare. Do you have a picture of the one you've already made? I'd love to see it.

Astuce (snowed in and out of wine....)

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm bringing this thread back up because I think this is going to be my next Padmé costuming project.

I've been keeping my eye out everytime I'm at a fabric store for suitable sleeve fabric. I've yet to find anything. Any suggestions would be great. :)

21. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    I used silk georgette and I really liked the results. You can get undyed stuff at silk connection:

http://www.silkconnection.com/products/fabric/silk/chiffon/2018452.htm

for $7 a yard. Not bad.

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks Jayne. :)

So, is your dress completed now? Any chance of seeing some pics?

23. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
  24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    LadySonnet, you look amazing!
    Alright, can I bombard you with a few questions now? [face_mischief]
    Did you draft your own pattern for the vest part? And your hair looks spot on. Did you use your own hair or did you fabricate the buns and attach them to your head?

I think I might experiment with using some silk georgette and trying to dye it the right color for the sleeves.
    Earlier in this thread I had mentioned that I found a good fabric for the skirt. Well, that fabric has since become a different dress, so I'm starting from scratch. I'm planning to use dupioni for the skirt and a velveteen for the vest.

Anyone else out there who has made this pretty gown?

25. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Astuce, I can't view your photos!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.