Padme Amidala Padmé's ROTS sleeveless outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi Anne, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I've decided to do this outfit for C3/ROTS premiere and I thought it was time for it to have its own topic.

I would like this thread to remain as spoilerfree as possible, so please don't talk about the scenes where it will be in.

Here is Maggie's section of it sleeveless outfit

I also know that there are already people who have made wonderful version of this dress.

To start I'm going to use this pattern ( Stil J21519 ) for the tunic.

The question right now is which fabric I should use. My thoughts go to something quite soft, leathery fabric.

One of the alternatives I'm thinking of is the fabric to the left in this picture:

[image=http://www.furulundsmodetyger.se/produktbilder/923403m.jpg]

It's a fake chamois (?) leather, only thing is that it might be a bit too yellow. In the photos of the costume it looks to be a bit darker grey.
  2. Leia214 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I really like that outfit and have been thinking of making it too. I'm looking forward to seeing people's posts on it as we get closer to EpIII
  3. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    HUmm I did see a fabric called "Mole skin" at Jo-Ann's that'll fit the bill for your outfit. A light tna color.

It might be called ultra suead too. It's VERY soft, sueadish and lightweight. Flows nicly too.
  4. Benae_Quee Jedi Master

star 4
    I like the color of that fabric. It's hard to tell from the few pictures we have.

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/cotumes/websize/padme_in_apt.jpg]
    For mine I used a sueded cotton I won from Ebay - I think there were 4 yards for $16 :eek:. The pattern looks like a good start, I had to make my own because I didn't find anything near me I liked. The collar was the hardest part for me (and it's still not done right - IMO). I made the brooch for this one by weaving gold wire together and adding a sculpy emblem (sorry no pics, I'm already making a new one). I had the boots and pants already, and I used some extra pleather for the straps. By far the easiest and cheapest costume for me to date :D Good luck, can't wait to see it at C3 :)
  5. Leia214 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Moleskin is a great idea - my JoAnn's always has a good selection of it. It would be soft and comfortable to wear for the arm pieces too.

Okay - it's decided. I'm making one!
  6. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I wonder if mole skin might be the kind of fabric I posted about, the description seem to be about the same.

And yes the sleeves definetly made me think of a fabric that's soft and maybe even a little bit stretchy.
  7. scottstoybox Jedi Knight

Looks like a great start! Either the moleskin or the faux-suede will look fantastic. The flow of both will be very close to the screen used top. GOOD LUCK!
  8. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    And Mole SKin has a slight stretch to it.
  9. jedilucass Jedi Master

star 2
    Awww... my other project that I am working on. For my fabric, I bought about 4 yds of a buttery tan suede cloth at my local hancocks when it was on sale for 4.99 back in october. I also picked up some in "bitter chocolate" for the strappings. The pattern I am using is I think simplicity 5012- sleeveless maternity top with the strappings already kinda there with a skirted bottom. The only think I'm slightly confused about is the brooch for this costume...

~Laura
  10. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    The brooch will be the biggest problem for me as well, since I'm not really that handy when it comes anything else than fabric. I've ordered my fabric today, now I have to start looking for something for the strappings.
  11. jedilucass Jedi Master

star 2
    From what I have seen of the pic over at the padawansguide, it's more like a belt buckle than a brooch- a circle with four square side things to "buckle" the straps. The design in the middle is slightly raised- I'm using sintra, and I'm currently working on the design, and I'm having diffuculty figuring out what to cut it with- mainly cause my dad can't find the dremmel. So, I think I'm going to be using this jewlwery tool... I don't know, it's just one of those random things around my house...

~Laura
  12. Benae_Quee Jedi Master

star 4
    If you read the last set diary there is a shot of the brown oufit (a partial back shot) in the pics :D You can't really make it out that well, but we can get an idea of the hair in the back :) If you don't have hyperspace, PM me ;)
  13. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    You know what? I did a mini-double take at that photo because I thought her hairdo looked exactly like the Leia buns, only moved lower and closer to the back of her head. [face_thinking]
  14. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    There's a new promo-pic up of this costume, and there you can see it has Amidala's emblem on the top of the loose sleeves.

I've gotten my fabric for the costume now, and it is more brown/yellow instead of the more grey shade it seems to have in the new pic. Isn't it typical that these kinds of pics are always released a bit too late. Another typical thing is of course that just two days after I had recieved my fabric, I found a very similar fabric that cost $3 less/meter.

Ohhh, and the new before the helmet pic also has a close up on the dress and the hair. :D
  15. jedilucass Jedi Master

star 2
    Obi-Anne, I feel your pain. That's why I think doing costumes from the prequels before the movie is released isn't such a good idea... but this one just calls out "make me! It will be so much fun!" *sigh* At least my "sleeves" aren't done yet.

~laura
  16. Benae_Quee Jedi Master

star 4
    I was at Toy Fair yesterday and I got to see all the ROTS stuff that Hasbro is coming out with. Unfortunately I only saw two things Padme :( Both are the ROTS Brown Outfit (one is Attack Clix, and the other is the figure we've seen). I let the Hasbro guy know that there are plenty of buyers for Portrait edition Padme dolls if they make them ;)
  17. Benae_Quee Jedi Master

star 4
    Now that a lot of the toys have been posted publically, here's the Padme pics :)
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/toyfair2005/websize/L1040690.JPG]
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/toyfair2005/websize/L1040708.JPG]
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/toyfair2005/websize/L1040699.JPG]
  18. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    good to see how the straps in the back go :)
  19. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Is there a holster for that blaster, or does it not really go with her costume? I really want one with mine, I might just add one somehow...
  20. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I don't think it's part of the costume, unless the holster is in the back somewhere.

I'm hoping to get tunic done this weekend, I want to take the chance when I'm at home and have access to my sister's very superior sewing machine.
  21. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ok i've finally decided to go ahea with this costume, i'm using simplicity pattern 8589, i got my faux suede, have it cut out, hopefully can get it sewn together over the next couple of days, still need to get stuff to make the straps, not sure what i'm going to do about the broach and buckle, probably make it out of sculpy but i want to see a clearer picture of it, it looks like the action figure packaging might have a clear shot of the broach, no i just need to get my hands on one :p i already have pants that should work with it and boots. Obi-Anne it looks like were going to have a lot of the same costumes :) not sure if i'm completely happy with the colour of my fabric, its the best i could do though and its was only $3.99 a metre so can't complain
  22. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    The color is difficult. Most of the light browns I saw had too much yellow in them. I ordered a whole bunch of swatches yesterday from a couple of sites, and I'm hoping one of them will work. I did see a pretty close match in a microsuede on one of the many sites I visited yesterday, but I stupidly forgot to save the address...I'll look for it again later.

The boots are going to be an adventure for me...I'm going to buy a pair of synthetic black equestrian boots and paint them brown. Are men's boots usually cut more generously in the calves? I have the option of buying a ladies wide calf size or a men's size. The problem is that to get the ladies wide calf size I'd have to spend twice as much money ($65 instead of $33). I hate not being able to try things on, my only issue with buying things online. :p

I'm going to try and make the two metal pieces with sculpey too. Are you guys just using fabric paint for the symbol on her arm?

I'll also probably be buying a long brown wig to do the hair. I've never bought a wig before...any tips on sources or what I should be looking for? :)

EDIT: Oh, and my friend said that the blaster is actually pretty small, so it shouldn't be too hard to make a small modification to the costume to hold it. Maybe if some better pictures are released we might see something new...

EDIT 2: During my pattern searching yesterday I came across a few promising ones that might work. It's hard to tell though without holding the pattern in my hand, and some of the online info was a little lacking. But these are worth checking out:

Butterick 4201
    Vogue 5763v/V1927 (I saw it listed as two different numbers, weird)
    McCall's M4472

I checked out the Simplicity pattern mentioned above, and it looks good too. :)

EDIT 3: Hehe, my search for that microsuede didn't take long...I found it here. Not sure if the texture is right because it's hard to see in the picture, but the color is very close.
  23. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i am going to embroider the symbol on the sleeve :)
  24. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    I've never embroidered anything before...is there a tutorial on that somewhere? Embroidery would definitely look nicer than paint, but I've never done it before.
  25. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I haven't decided what to do with the symbol. I think it would like the best if it was printed on in some form. Generally I prefer embrodery to paint though, simply because I suck whenever I have to do anything remotely like drawing.

Liann, maybe we should go around as Padmé clones. :)
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.