Padme Amidala Padmé's ROTS sleeveless outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi Anne, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin
  1. Aure Jedi Youngling

star 1
    For what I can tell, it looks like the symbol is printed or painted. Funny tough that the symbol is not on the sleeve of the action figure. Or at least I can't see it.

And about the boots. My guess would be that they are some kind of suede (i.e. mocha). But it's hard to tell.
  2. Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Its hard to tell from the pictures I took, but the symbol is there. We weren't allowed to touch the toys or I would have had better shots.
  3. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    And it's only on one of the sleeves right?
  4. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    it looks like its only on one of the sleeves because in all the screen caps you can see the sideof the other sleeve and its not there.

embroidery is pretty easy, you could probably use just a satin stitch, i'll look around for a tutorial.

are the buns braided?
  5. jedilucass Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I think that the buns are braided...if you look at the stills from the Target video- they don't seem to have the look of just a regular bun.

With the symbol on the "sleeve", I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to try "burning" it on- I got the idea from watching trading spaces, where they scourch the wood- I think you can do something like that with an iron- all I need to find is something heat resistant to use as a stencil.

~Laura
  6. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    got the top partially sewn together, contemplating putting a seam down the middle of the back just to make it a little more fittedn and not so loose in the back. can't do the collar till i decide on that though.
  7. iycis Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Here ya go ladies, a new picture...it's not much...

edit/ unfortunately that's the the latest BTH pic, so it isn't allowed to be published here yet.
  8. jedilucass Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Lots of progress today- buckle is traced onto sintra- wasn't brave enough to start cutting it out. Seam ripping is 2/3 of the way done- I made the mistake of trying to use suede sew onto the tunic to get the job done- that isn't going to work, so now it's being undone... I'm going to Ohio, so I'm going to use that time to finish the rest (I don't have to drive) and also look for some leather there... might be cheaper.
    ~Laura
  9. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    I've finished most of the tunic today, it was very easy. Now I need to find a good design of the collar and attach it, and then it's time for the sleeves.
  10. iycis Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Sorry for posting that pic Obi Anne. I didn't actually know where it was from in the first place. It was forwarded to me by a friend. ;)
  11. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    padawans guide has a great pic showing the broach and buckle detail :)
  12. jedilucass Jedi Youngling

star 2
    *jumps up and down at the image*
  13. LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Chadwick's has some good boots, which my mom ordered for me, a bit pricy but very convenient!

http://www.chadwicks.com/chadwicks/product/product.asp?pf_id=57917&dept_id=472&search_token=1

anyone know exactly what Padmé's symbol looks like? and where to get some good pants that match hers?
  14. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    I have no photos of my full tunic, but I have a pic up of the collar and the boots I'm planning on using here (choose the costume album)

I will redo the collar a bit though. I also tested the tunic together with a twin. ;) It's my niece, unfortunately her twin sister wasn't available at the time so I couldn't test it with them both at the same time.
  15. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    Yesterday I ripped ut the collar and the hem and will redo them, hopefully the result will be much better this time.
  16. starwarschick14 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm dreading the collar modification myself...if you get it to work well for you, it would be great if you could post some tips. :)
  17. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    I'm quite happy with the collar itself, the problem is that the tunic is too low in the back to make it look right, I have to see if I can modify or add a bit more fabric to get it higher.
  18. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    making a little progress, i made the straps and a pregnant belly to wear underneath, leaving the collar till last, i still need to hem it and maybe take it in a little bit on the sides, the fabric puckers a lot with the straps on
  19. JediGal1ab Jedi Youngling

Thanks for the boots suggestion at Chadwicks...this is my first costume I'm making and I'm very nervous. LOL. I am using the simplicity maternity pattern also and the same microsueade as Starwarschick14... I did a search on unstained cowhide straps, but have also seen it done with belts...nervous here too lol. I can't wait to see how you all figure out the buckle in the front. oh and am using a wig for the first time too.
  20. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    I also have problem finding something suitable for the straps, but I'll find something I'm sure.

I think I will make the belt buckle and the brooch from a clay, I guess it's about the same as sculpy. If I can find leather or fake leather that's thin enought it shouldn't be a problem to attach the buckle to it.
  21. starwarschick14 Jedi Master

star 4
    JediGal, are you talking about the microsuede link I posted above? I just got my 1/8 yard that I ordered to check out the color (an expensive sample, around $6 because I had to pay for shipping :p), and I'm disappointed. It's a great fabric but the color is too light/yellowish. I'm going to check out Walmart and JoAnn's when I go home next week before ordering more samples online. Hopefully I'll have some luck. I won't get a chance to assemble the top until right before C3, but I should have the rest of the costume ready to go at that point. :)
  22. JediGal1ab Jedi Youngling

Thanks Starwarschick14..I was wondering the same, thanks. OH and I found boots certainly less expensive, and I think they'll look great. Try JCPenny online. Good luck finding the right kind of material...I guess I too am on the lookout. Just saw some great ultrasuede at Fabric Depot (also online) theres a perfect color, but costs alot more than our original fabric.
  23. starwarschick14 Jedi Master

star 4
    Is ultrasuede suitable for clothing? I've never seen it in person, and since it's marketed as an upholstery fabric, I'm wary. I've seen a lot of it in my searching, and yes, it's quite expensive! There are a lot of ultrasuede auctions on eBay though for much more reasonable prices. The only problem there is that most sellers can't offer you a sample so you can verify the color.

I got a cotton velvet swatch from Denver Fabrics because it came in a good color and I was curious about the fabric itself (I'll be working with a lot of velvet in future projects). I really do like it, I'm just not sure if it's the right choice for this costume. It's soft and doesn't have a sheen to it, so I think it might look ok for the top. If I can't find anything else...it's an option.
  24. mgmcpa Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Thanks for all the great links and info on this topic! I have finally decided to go for this costume for Celebration III since I will be pregnant and should take advantage of my unique costuming opportunity.

I notice a few pattern numbers listed in here for using as the basis for the tunic. Did anyone happen to use an actual maternity pattern, or are these all just normal tunic patterns?

Thanks!
  25. starwarschick14 Jedi Master

star 4
    Simplicity 8589 as well as the ones I listed in my post above...

Butterick 4201
    Vogue 5763v/V1927 (I saw it listed as two different numbers, weird)
    McCall's M4472

...are all actual maternity patterns, I believe. I was only searching through maternity patterns for my list. You can view these online at the following addresses:

http://www.simplicity.com/
    http://www.mccall.com/ (has McCall's, Butterick, and Vogue)

:)
Moderators: Briannakin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.