main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's ROTS sleeveless outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi Anne , Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZamIAm

ZamIAm Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    LOL I am at 20 weeks preggers, and I have long hair, down to my butt. Hopefully I can make it before c3. Looks pretty simple... Only, this will be my first sewing attempt at a full garment! All of your tips have been fantastic! I like the pattern that was in the mccall's version, it's just that the v neck seems to ride low. Hope that I get the collar. My collar shape was like <=> if you know what I mean. I might round out the bottom to be more circular, my version is too tight. I didn't have a pattern and just had my hubby draw out my shape on test muslin, and I sewed it together. Unfortunately, I had to have darts, next to the boobage, cause I can't do those extra seams without having lots of difficulty. Did you all line the collar with interfacing or something? Just want mine to stand up without looking sad, but lay just right. I was thinking collars are essentially two pieces, right?

2. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    My collar is actually one piece, the dress will slip over my head (the opening is just big enough). And I used a lightweight iron-on interfacing on it to give it a really close look to the actual images we've seen (I used the kind you only iron to one side of the fabric because it was a good weight and all I had on hand ;) ).

My dress actually has the princess seams but the second set of seams are false...at the time I was doing it in a hurry and I just didn't have the patience at that point to add them. :p

Hehe. Mine will be re-vamped after we see some better images.

** Mine is also the 'belly-less' version. :D

3. ZamIAm

Oct 22, 2002
    Thanks, and I think that the leather straps are prolly 3-4 oz. and 1 1/4" wide. I am guesstimating that if her shoulder is about 5" then the straps should be 1 1/4"...

Dang it! I just ran outta sculpey... I like the wire idea, but since it's crunch time...arghghgh, I did with what I had~ and it's not enough! my sculpey is so thin... I wish there was some kinda metal dip hardener. Once I bake it, it could fall apart. Sigh...

Went to this place, and found the right color and ultra suedelike cloth and $69.00 per yard- just freaked me out. This is a one time costume for me. I mean, I will have spent in the thousands on my Zam and with a child on the way, and all that debt, I am entitled to a really really inexpensive costume! (C'mon thrift stores, make me happy!-rolls the chance cubes):D

4. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Yvonne, why don't you just go to Jo-Ann fabric or something and get some moleskin stype fabric? It wouldn't cost that much. Maybe $7.99/yard or so.

5. ZamIAm

Oct 22, 2002
    I went to JoAnne's and my husband's and I's costume accuracy snobbery kicked in... :rollseyes It wasn't the right color. So, I am going to try a different one tonight. We didn't buy the other stuff. I did like the moleskin and the faux suede. It was nice, but I am prolly gonna have to settle for a color that isn't quite the exact same color. It's hard not to be picky ;) :LOL I haven't done my taxes yet, and I have so much compulsion about finishing this for C3 ~~ I am really losing my mind. Oh, I figured out with the test muslin that I did, I need 2 1/2 yards. Is that what you all bought? Or did you go with 3 yrds to be safe?

6. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I got my fabric at Wal-Mart. It was around five bucks a yard and the color is pretty close - it's a suede type fabric but it works well and if hangs nicely.

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    My gauntlets are done, now it's only the details I need to do by hand left.

8. ZamIAm

Oct 22, 2002
    Actually bought a faux suede 3 yrds, 3/4 yard interfacing, and thread at Joanne's and it's pretty close in color, needs more of a hint of red tones, but close enough. I went with the simplicity pattern even though i did a quick muslin test with my hubby. The other patterns didn't seem to be right. I really don't think it's a wrap around and it doesn't have a tie in the middle. The total of everything I got was $33.00 yay! I already have leather, and snaps, and dye, so that's not a prob, and I just need to find the rest of my sculpey. Oh, and i need boots. I am not going to worry about the rt side cut sleeve embroidery.

Oh, upon looking at the top gold pin, it looks like 6 little flowers with fake diamonds in the middle, 3 on each side. Mebbe i am blind, but isn't that what you see?

9. mgmcpa

mgmcpa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2001
    Thanks to everyone for all the great tips! We finally finished my costume last night.

One tip we can share is to buy iron-on paper and then scan the naboo symbol into the computer and print it out. Worked great for the glove symbol.

See you all at C3.

10. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    My costume is done too! I'm at C3 right now, and I'll be wearing it tomorrow. :D

11. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    This costume IS AT c3! I will get pics up as soon as possible... more than likely, sunday. The actually fabric is darker than the medium tans we've thought it was. The buckle and brooch are both metal, with flowers, and the buckle is also two tone. The pants a just a few shades lighter than the top, and, from what I could tell, have no seams visable. There are two princess seams on the tunic- one that curves up into the armhole, the other right before the strapping. The buns are not braided, more like twisted.... once again, I will post pics as soon as I am able.

~Laura

12. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    NIIICE - so are there any other Padme dresses at C3 ?

13. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    No- I was VERY dissapointed in the lack of female representation in the archieve room. There were two female costumes- the padme sleeveless and the princess leia hoth. However, the obi-wan rom ep3 is awesome- it even has burn holes! However, I talked to maggie, who talked to the dresser of the manaquins, and she said that the symbol is apparently just satin stitched on.

~Laura

14. ZamIAm

Oct 22, 2002
    Wow, I was so excited that I finished my tan padme preggers outfit. :) In one week! You guys are awesome. I learned how to sew an entire outfit in two sleepless nights. I used the iron on interfacing for the neckline. I will post pics later. But, the coolest thing was that the actual costume was at C3. I had wished I could've taken a pic right next to the archive costume. Definately a brass jeweler's work for the broach and middle piece. And I am SOOO proud of myself, I was right, they were little flowers in the broach and middle piece. The boots weren't suede like I expected but almost a canvas like material. Sigh, wish I could've stayed in the archive room longer...

15. Princess_Lesa

Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Does anyone have a pattern going for the collar? This is my first real costume sewing attempt. My sister is a good seamstress, so she is advising me. I took enough home ec. in high school (many years ago)to be dangerous.

I'm using the Simplicity pattern, maternity cut, which I'll either stuff or be really comfortable. I got some beautiful suede out of the bargain bin at JoAnn's. Score! I'm trying to draft a collar to add to the pattern. Any suggestions would be great.

I'm also debating between belts or vinal for the straps. I keep going back and forth.

I have the collar pin covered. Yeah eBay!

Still not happy on the belt buckle...or shall I say "maternity support harness buckle."

Love the feedback on what the real one looks like. I so wanted to go to C3, but my husband and I are tied down by college.

16. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    Okay, for pics I took of the real costume, cut and paste.. more coming soon.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y181/gunslingerpadme/

~laura

edit: teh color of the fabric is seen without editing on the pictures of teh ebroidered sleeve. the others have been edited to bring out detail.

17. ZamIAm

Oct 22, 2002
    I was wrong about the straps, they look like a different type of leather, almost like vinyl or garment leather folded over, instead of the veg tan dyed leather I suggested earlier. I used the simplicity pattern and redrew the shoulders to come out more. The neck piece I totally made up.

18. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    From what I saw, the straps look like an aged leather that had been reconditioned maybe? I kept thinking about the old cowboy boots that I use to see when I would visit my aunt in new mexico... When I redo my straps, I was just going to buy real leather, and then destress the crap out of it, then I guess shine it.... but that's just my .02

I'll see if I can upload some pics of the straps.. I got a lot of them...]

~Laura

19. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Love the pictures and the feedback from C3. I'm going to make a practice collar on some scrap material, then cut the real one. My sister says the collar reminds her of an old Lucille Ball collar.

FYI, I ordered stirrup pants at Blair.com. You an use the quick search to find them...I can't get a direct link to work. Code QA7 gets you $1.99 shipping.

The Sand color pants look great with the material I got from JoAnn's. You do not get the seam down the front like the real costume, but they look pretty good to me and are comfortable. They also stay in the boots well. They will get you by until you make your own.

20. dinochick

dinochick Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2002
    How did you find the collar pin on ebay Princess_Lesa? What was incuded in your search? All I am coming up with are halloween costumes :(

21. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    saw the costume, it helped me do my hair for the sunday :p

22. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    I search for Victorian Gold Brooch or Victorian Gold pin. The title of the auction I won was Victorian Vintage Gold Shield Brooch Pin Watch Clip. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4985334298&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1] It's actually a little small, but it will do.

You do have to watch the prices. Some brooches can get pricy!

I bought a belt buckle to use for the harness, but I don't like it, and I'll need to paint it. I'm still looking for something better. Any ideas would be great. I've looked at curtain rod ends, tie back, sconces, hair barrettes. I may try that sculpty stuff, but I'm not sure how well that would go for me. This is all a little new to me.

BTW, dinochick, I love your avatar. That is the dress I REALLY want to make or purchase someday. We'll see how this project goes before I think about attempting the next one. :)

oh, this is the link to the buckle I won: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6757221449&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

23. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    For those of you who saw the actual outfit, is the collar separte, or is it material from the dress itself? (I hope my quesiton makes sense.)

24. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    "For those of you who saw the actual outfit, is the collar separate, or is it material from the dress itself?"

Princess_Lesa, the collar is separate from the tunic - interestingly, it clips on with magnets, which we heard from one of the volunteers there who dressed the mannequin. I believe the magnets are sewn into the seams on the collar and tunic.

25. wraith13

wraith13 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    Maggie has photos of the costume from CIII up on her site. I think it's interesting that the brooches resembles the belt buckle from the EP2 pilot costume. They all have the five petal flowers and overlapping metal design.

wraith13

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.