Padme Amidala Padmé's ROTS sleeveless outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi Anne, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin
  1. Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks Sister Sola for the feedback. Yes, I saw the pictures on Maggie's site, and she mentions the magnets on the home page too...guess you all were there at the same time...All very cool information. Thanks!

P.S. Pardon my past typos. I get to check the board from time to time on break, and I feel I'm always in a hurry!
  2. ZamIAm Jedi Youngling

star 1
    No way?!?!? The collar is separate? from the rest of the maternity dress? That just doesn't quite make sense.

[image=http://www.pics.zamiam.com/CIII/DSC01216.jpg]
    Me and a really great Anakin

[image=http://www.pics.zamiam.com/CIII/DSC01219.jpg]
    Me and Shannon McRandle

[image=http://www.pics.zamiam.com/CIII/DSC01159.jpg]
    My shot of the actual costume.

I made both my brooch and middle piece out of sculpey. It broke really easily, so I hotglued it again at CIII to give it some more support. I am at 22 weeks preggers, so I felt totally cool making this. $44.00 for the boots, $36.00 for the fabric,interfacing, thread and pattern, $3 for muslin, $10 for the sculpey and pin backings and faux gems, and $17 for the pants at kohls. I had the leather and dye from another project. Cheapest costume I ever made and it only took 1 week! (2 days to sew as a newb to sewing entire garments)
  3. joelle Jedi Youngling

cool! you look great. and being pregnant is really getting into the character ;-) seriously though, congratulations and all that. quickly run up all her other ep3 dresses now hehe!
  4. Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight

star 1
    Very nice! I'd love to see a close up of your sculpy work...It looks real good in the shots you have.

My buckle I ordered looks OK...but my next challenge is how to attach it!
  5. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    "The collar is separate? from the rest of the maternity dress? That just doesn't quite make sense."

ZamIAm, our theory is that they made the collar separate in order to get Natalie in and out of it without wrecking the hairstyle - we'll probably never know if that is why though.

From what I could see, there is no closure on the tunic - it appeared to be a one piece pullover. Hence our theory on the collar.
  6. starwarschick14 Jedi Master

star 4
    Does anyone think that the lighting in the archives room affected the perceived color of this costume? Just wondering, because I've seen some hi-res pictures of this costume that I unfortunately cannot share, and I trust the color accuracy on them because of what those kinds of pictures are used for (artist reference).

Here are a couple pictures of me at C3 in this costume. When I get home I'll take some pictures of my Sculpey work, even though I'll probably redo it now that there are even better images available. I'm still proud of my efforts though! I also want to fix up the shoulders a bit, and really fix the gauntlets (including doing an embroidered Naboo symbol).

Full length shot:
    [image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/tyraliarose/C3_01_031.jpg]

Me sitting at Joe Corroney's table:
    [image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/tyraliarose/normal_C3_01_030.jpg]

It was a very comfortable costume to wear. I'm really happy with my boots because they look suede-y to me in every picture I've seen. The pants are a great color but look a little weird for some reason in my full length shot, I might need to take them in a little bit to reduce that apparent bagginess. I also need to work with my wig to make it look better by adding some hair to it and to get it to sit on my head more securely (it kept sliding back). :)
  7. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    most of my photos turned out blurry of me in this costume, still waiting for our trip photos to be put up on our website, i think theres one pic of me in this costume here
  8. ZamIAm Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Quote: Princess_Lesa"Very nice! I'd love to see a close up of your sculpy work...It looks real good in the shots you have.
    My buckle I ordered looks OK...but my next challenge is how to attach it! "

Thanks! It did turn out pretty nice, but after C3, it broke again on our trip back to the homestead. That's the problem with sculpey, it's too brittle. If I can, I will post a pic sometime later :D I used simple broach pins from Michaels glued on the back to attach it.
  9. starwarschick14 Jedi Master

star 4
    I used Premo Sculpey for mine and it's not brittle at all, it's actually nice and flexible. That was very important during travel because the bigger piece ended up getting bent in my garment bag! Thankfully it straightened out again without too much difficulty. :)
  10. Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm new to sculpey. What color sculpey do you use? I assume you paint it after making it anyway. I found this online:

http://www.kjpcrafts.com/premosculpey.html Is that a good price?

Do they sell it at Micheals or Hobby Lobby!

Thanks!!
  11. starwarschick14 Jedi Master

star 4
    I was new to Sculpey too...the two pieces for this costume and my Barriss belt buckle were all first time projects for me. I tackles the belt buckle first to get a feel for the stuff since that was a much easier projects than these super detailed metal pieces...

Here's where I got mine:

Premo Sculpey at MisterArt.com

The prices there are much better than the other site you found. ;) I think they're pretty decent prices period, although it might be easier to avoid shipping charges if you can find what you need in a store. I don't know what the other kinds of Sculpey are like, and I'm not sure which ones are stocked by which stores. I chose the Premo stuff because it said it was strong and flexible when baked. I know craft and hobby stores carry Sculpey in general, but if you're looking for a specific type or color, I'd give them a call first.

I bought 10 oz. (5 2 oz. packs) of the gold color because I thought maybe it would be metal-looking enough to leave unpainted, and if not, would at least be a good base color. I also bought gold leaf paint since I needed it for accents on Barriss's buckle anyway. I ended up painting the Padme pieces with the gold leaf paint, and they came out great. The only thing I didn't do was buy a sort of sealer to spray on all my painted Sculpey, so I'll do that at some point. The gold leaf paint rubbed off a little bit on my brown strapping, but only a little (and it didn't affect the quality of the paint job, since the paint was on there pretty thick). I had nearly 2 packs of the Sculpey left over, so I guess I probably used 1-1.5 of the 2 oz. packs on this project.

Hopefully that helps you a bit...feel free to ask more questions if you have them. :)
  12. BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Zam, you even have the real pregnant thing going on :) I am so mad I didn't catch you in this costume. At least I got a good one of you in your Zam (you look great!), which I posted on TDH :)

Ro, you look absolutely adorable. I am MAD I missed you.
  13. ZamIAm Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Bella=ysanne? :D ;) Had to be as screen accurate as possible ;)

Oh, sculpey- I used supersculpey from Michaels and Rub'n'buff gold leaf. That is why it probably broke, I should try premo sometime. Thanks for the tip.

14. BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan

star 4
  15. daala2k Jedi Youngling

I'm currently making my version of the outfit and came across this, over the weekend.

Pattern:
    http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B4393=x&TI=10004&page=1

Liquid Sculpey:
    http://www.sculpey.com/Products/products_access_tls.htm

The clay may stink, but it doesn't break and you can tint it wonderfuly. I'm all most done with my accessories, and I'll post some photos soon ^_^
  16. jedilucass Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I did my brooch and buckle out of sintra- it's a pain in the butt to basically carve out the design, but worth it. Another thing I did with it (accidentally) is that I didn't like my first paint job with spraypaint on the brooch, so, while it was still wet, I took the pressure washer my dad was using on the deck to take the paint off. It didn't get all of the paint, but a lot, so I thought nothing of it and just re-did the spray paint. By power-wshing it, it gave the sintra an interesting texture, so I kept it.... now I just have to get around to doing the same to the buckle.

~Laura
  17. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    can't wait to see it, not very happy with my buckle and broach after seeing the original, that liquid sculpy looks cool.
  18. daala2k Jedi Youngling

here's a work in progress image >> photo

mind the pen marks... I'm still working on it. Feels like plastic tho.
  19. Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight

star 1
    daala2k, that looks great! That was with the liquid? Cool!

My first buckle won't be real accurate; I just don't have the time right now. I need to finish the arm holes and hem my dress. Took me a few gauntlets to get the symbol right...I just used a t-shirt iron on, but I think it turned out great.

I also love the pattern you found. I would not use the Simplicity pattern I used again. If I do it again, I will try to find something to mimic the seams in the bodice, sort of like this: http://www.simplicity.com/design.cfm?designId=9376&design=7010, but not quite.
    The neck also came out too big, but I'm going to make a bigger collar. That should fix it well enough.

I used this as a basis for my collar: http://www.simplicity.com/design.cfm?designId=11563&design=4947

For a first attempt, it's had ups and downs. I'll post some pictures soon. I think it will do. This first version is about getting the job done. If I do it again, I'll really strive for accuracy.
  20. ZamIAm Jedi Youngling

star 1
    daala2k, Liquid sculpey looks really good. How does it take paint/rub n buff etc? And, does it comeout like hard glue? My hubby was thinking we should have just used hot glue for the first one that I made.
  21. daala2k Jedi Youngling

Took the hi-rez image that was posted on the padawan's site and traced it to wax paper with a sharpe. My cousin took over, as her puffy paint skills are better then mine...lol. We traced it and baked it, made 2 layers. Then I freehanded the image again and cut the opening with a xacto. 2 hours later and you have the image above, however I have to use regular clay to build up the middle. The liquid is very easy to use and thin layers can be cut with no effort.

*This stuff can be sanded.*

I have to paint, and once I'm done I'll get working on the outfit. I won't have it ready in time for the movie release. But I plan to use it to a upcoming con (Otakon). I'll post progress images. ^_^

*edit*

I haven't tested the paint yet, but it takes powder tinting well as I used it on another project. It's like plastic or cool hot glue, so if anything it should take spary paint well...if not bust out the gesso.

http://www.sculpey.com/sculpey201.htm
  22. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    looks great daala2K, it looks nice and delicate, might have to try that stuff :)
  23. Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok...marathon starts tonight. I need to finish the sleeves and hem. My Version 1.0 collar would do, but I'd like to redo. The neck in the tunic came out bigger than I would have liked, so I need a bigger collar to cover the opening and have the effect I'd like. I bought tan velcro to attach the collar.

The buckle, as the 1.0 version is, is done. My sweet husband sauntered it on to a hair barrette. I'm not sure how well the sauntering will hold, so I may top off with hot glue. I need to sew the straps on the back of the harness. They are pinned and ready.

Gauntlets are done; messed up and they are about an inch shorter than I would have liked, but they will do.

I'll post pictures soon. We have a SW show in Plano, Texas, this weekend and a costume contest at the Moive line. If you are local, come on by!

Oh, the one thing I HAVE been pleased with is the fabric I found. It's from the Home Deco department at JoAnn's. I lucked out and found some in the scrap bin. Normally, it's $19.99-$24.99 a yard. But they are always running 40%-50% sales. It's Soane Lichen, Richloom, 7196074. They also have Coyote, 7028137. It looks like suede and is much stiffer than the moleskin.
  24. Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight

star 1
    OK, scratch the previous post...I'm ripped quite a bit out and practically started over. I just wasn't happy with the fit. The redo is coming along though.

I'm learning that lot of sewing is resewing...as least if you are new to this...or new enough that your are learning it all again.
  25. jedilucass Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Princess_Lesa, I know what you mean! When I did mine, I started working off very small images that didn't show a lot of detail, then new ones came out half way through my sewing- I ended up ripping the whole thing apart and re-sewing it. I plan on re-doing it completely now that I've seen the actual costume.

For my re do, I was thinking of doing the buckle and brooch out of metal. While at c3, one of the people in the costume pagent (the count dooku), had done his cape seals using the lost wax method of jewelry making. I did some research on it, and I'm completely confused about how to go about it, and if it would work on these two items. Any thoughts?

~Laura
Moderators: Briannakin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.