main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's ROTS sleeveless outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi Anne , Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZamIAm

ZamIAm Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Ok, who stole the opportunity to take pics with my husband?? :D My hubby was the Vader at the Uptown theater in Washington DC with Carrie Fisher and took some pics with a padme in the sleeveless outfit. He said he thinks it was someone here, cause he saw the broach and it looked like one of the ones posted. He and the Old Line Garrison (MD+DC 501st) got major press on over 4 stations for the Lucas/CDF Charity event. Here's one. NBC 4
    I am jealous, cause I hadn't even gotten a pic with him yet! LOL C'mon, fess up :D

2. daala2k

daala2k Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    the Wax, is basicly... carve the item out of jewlers wax and the have it sent to a casting place to get a molding made and then get it case in metal. I only know the basic.

I was going to try that myself but I couldn't find a place to send it too near by.

3. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Thanks for the info! It's a good starting point- I'll start looking around for a place that could do that. We've got a few jewelry making stores, and if not I'll see what places my dad knows of. Once again, thanks!

~Laura

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm going to be on national tv tomorrow morning in this outfit. I'm just wondering how I'm going to be able to fix my hair totally alone at 4 am in the morning. I wont be able to have my black boots with it either, I'll have to use my brown jedi boots instead.

5. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Just use 2 mirrors (front and back) and a cup of coffee and you will look smashing Obi Anne . Will there be a little movie of the broodcast on the internet? :)

6. Marin_Lemche

Marin_Lemche Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2004
    hey, what show are you going to be on?... I always do my own hair I almost never use a mirror, i just go by what feels right and then look in the mirror. you could always tape a handehld mirror to a wall opposite a fixed mirror nd go with it that way

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't know if they put things up on the net afterwards, hopefully they do. I'm pretty satisfied with the hair now, there is one hair pin that's visible from the back, but otherwise it's fine.

And Marin, it's Swedish television.

8. ZamIAm

Oct 22, 2002
    Anyone else going to wear it to the premiere? Too bad we dont' have swedish tv :D Whoever took a pic with my hubby on the 12th of May had a really accurate version of the broach. It had the flowers and everything. He and I were thinking electro-plating.. but that's a lotta work. After molding casting etc. We're settling for hot glue repairs on the regular sculpey for the premieres, since it's just gonna get destroyed anyways. And, unavailable time :/ I am just glad I have something to wear! I am so preggers, I can't fit into much of anything else :)

9. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I'll be wearing mine tomorrow night...tonight is broach night! :p I ment to start those a while ago...honest I did...LOL

10. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I too will be wearing mine tomorrow night.... and I am sorely tempted to alter the brooch I have so there are the little flowers on it... but to carve those out is going to take too much time, and I still have to finish embroidering the symbol. I had it done with fabric for c3, but am now re doing it. I also get to do my hair before a sorority meeting- fun! The girls haven't seen the costume side of me yet...

~Laura

11. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I'm almost done styling my hair extension so I can just pin it on my head. I doubt my symbol will be embroidered either, paint will suffice for tomorrow night I think. And my broach...well, it's not bad but it's definitly a rush job for me. ;) Ah well, it'll be redone in good time (and when I get better tools...toothpicks don't always cut it).

12. daala2k

daala2k Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    aw, man... the midnight show around here sold out to quick. But's okay, I couldn't wear my outfit anyways... they sent me the wrong color pants so I had to send them back. I guess, I'll just leave it for my convention. But please post photos! I wanna see how everyones outfits turn out.

13. Princess_Lesa

Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    The following are pictures of my costume. FYI, I am fake pregnant. The little Leia in the pictures is my daughter, Bailey:

I'm working on a write up of the details of making the outfit. I'll post a link when it's done. There are a few things I may improve or would do differently if I did it again, but overall, I'm happy with how it turned out.

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Nice job on the costume Lesa. Your hair looks great too!

15. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Thanks! I used two hair clip pony tails and made them into buns and secured with matching hair nets and pins. They stay in very securely. I banded the separate braid underneath the two buns. :)

16. ZamIAm

Oct 22, 2002
    If you watched the movie, anyone get as depressed as I did, wearing the costume, looking up and realizing what happens to padme while in that outfit? Then, have someone in the audience figure out who you are afterwards? and get, 'Oh padme amidala-costume!' comments?

17. LadyNaberrie

LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    I got my costume finished last weekend and wore it to the premiere. I will post pics as soon as I get the film developed. About the "Padme" costume comments, one of the guys in the theater when seeing my costume on screen I heard him say "Ohhhh so that's what that girls costume is!"

18. ZamIAm

Oct 22, 2002
    We just went to a cystic fibrosis event with the 501st today, and it was so fun. I actually had a kid say, "wow- she's actually pregnant!" It felt neat. Definately have to get a new belt/harness thing.

19. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Yes, ZamIam, it was a little weird being in that outfit. I was pretty spoiled, so I knew what was going to happen, but it was still sad.

I had one funny incident. I was in the bathroom, and a young girl was telling her aunt or grandmother, "I saw Padme go into the bathroom!" I came out and the aunt said jokingly, "Well I guess she did. We're glad to see you are OK." :)

20. Diva_Shaliqua

Diva_Shaliqua Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2002
    I decided to make this costume last Monday to wear to the midnight screening on Wednesday :D
    We had lots of issues finding the right fabric colour for the tunic - and it still wasn't right, they had to mushroom coloured microsuede or anything so it was just a cotton lycra.
    The pants were $5 from a local crappy clothes shop and they had a suede like feel to them.
    The boots are my own - not high enough up the leg but they're comfy.
    The leather straps were cut out of vinyl and I made the buckles out of regular sculpey - but I didn't have any spray to make them shiny. And I didn't have any gem-type things to add to them.
    I painted the Naboo symbol onto the arm band with metallic fabric paint.
    The collar of the tunic isn't right - but we ran out of time and material to fix it.
    It was so freezing on Wed night so I bought a long bit of a dark brown woollen material to wear as a shawl - like the shawl in the AOTC white "battle" costume.
    My hair was made out of a couple of hair pieces and pinned into my 1-inch ponytail :p

Overall, it was a VERY comfortable costume to wear and nicely inexpensive!
    I've uploaded some photos from the night here:

Me + an Anakin:
    [image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/chanelz/95cd569b.jpg]

Detail:
    [image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/chanelz/PadmeDetail.jpg]

There's more photos on here but some photos contain possible spoilers!

21. ZamIAm

Oct 22, 2002
    Wow, nice job! Welp, I finally got some pics with my hubby, though they be strange in some, some of my corny friends made me pose awkwardly for some pics...
    [image=http://www.pics.zamiam.com/Cfibrosis/DSC01266.jpg]

[image=http://www.pics.zamiam.com/Cfibrosis/DSC01267.jpg]
    Me and hubby vader

Linky for the May 22 Maryland 501st Cystic Fibrosis Foundation pics, is (Spoilers, BIG TIME): link

I added some 'gems' to my broaches, but they shouldn't have gems, they are just flowers. Your outfit came out great! I was really shocked about her boots at the CIII exhibit. They really aren't leather. They are really like a canvas type of material.

22. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    daala2k, any progress on your buckle? I bought some Liquid sculpey today, so I wanted to give your method a try. The folks at the art store looked at me like I was crazy when I said I was going to make a buckle out of it.

I bought some regular sculpey too...buyer's impulse...it was at the art store. I may take it back; I forgot about the Primo sculpey discussions. Always in a hurry...

What tools do you all use when working with this stuff?

23. daala2k

daala2k Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    busy watching the movies and working on my bf's outfit has put my outfit on the back burner. But! I did add the reg. clay to the liquid clay and it's sticking great. My next step is too paint. so I should have some images up soon of the finished buckle.

24. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    When you say regular clay, do you mean regular-regular Sculpey or the Primo sculpey? I bought some regular today not thinking things through. I think I'll take it back and order some Primo on the Internet.

Thanks for your help!

25. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Hey there! First of all you guys have done amazing jobs putting this costume together! My hat goes off to you... Though I am not wearing one. tehe. :p You see, I've really taken a liking to this particular outfit of Padmé's so I've begun to go in the direction of making it! Horray! :) But I have done this with several other costumes and then dropped the projects. So this time I'm going to do intensive planning before I get overly excited. ;) With that said, I do need some help and info which is why I came on to this particaular thread.

Concerning Padmé's hair

I know that a wig will be needed. The problem is figuring out how exactly. Clearly her hair goes off into three different sections. The simple braid down the middle, and the two low braided buns on the side. I haven't worked with wigs and I don't have many reference photos so here's some ideas I've come up with.

1) I wear a wig over my hair and braid it into the middle ponytail, and use extension ponytails on the sides for the braided buns.

2) I get three seperate ponytail extensions and attach the side buns and middle ponytail to my head, each as their own seperate piece.

3) I wear a wig over my hair and break it off into three divided sections: the middle braid and the two side braided buns.

That's all I can come up with. I mean the mANAKIN in the exhibit photos is wearing a wig... But I just don't know! Opinons would be wonderful and if any of you have good pics of her hair, that also would be greatly appreciated. :)

Concerning Padmé's Broaches

I know several of you have mentioned using sculpey, liquid sculpey, primo sculpey, and sintra. And also metal and foam. I've never used these products, I have not a clue, and was wondering if someone would mind pointing me in the direction of which would be best and what their differences are.

Concerning Padmé's Outfit

When looking at the high-res exhibit photos it seems to be that the top part (above belt) of the tunic is broken into several panels that make it fit the body tighter. But then when you look under the belt/comfort harness :p , it just flows out as one peice like a skirt. Correct me if I'm wrong about that analysis... And I was wondering how one might go about making a pattern for it.

With the naboo symbol on her right sleeve do you guys recommend embroidery?

Also taken into concern would be her collar. I read that it wasn't part of the outfit, but magnetically attached. Anybody have a clue as to how they did this. :confused:

Alright, I've written far too much and asked waaaay too many questions. Thank you so much for you time, your willingness to share your costumes with us, and for hopefully being brave enough to read my HUGE post. :)

-~Dormé~-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.