Padme Amidala Padmé's ROTS sleeveless outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi Anne, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benae_Quee Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a little note that I want to add to reasearch regarding this costume. While watching ROTS for the 6th time I noticed that there is a zipper on the back that stops before the collar. It would make sense that this peice is indeed seperate. I suppose you could keep it on with snaps? When you watch ROTS again, watch as the camera is pointing at Ani and Padme from behind Padme. You'll see the zipper hiding under her very long braid :) The lining also looks funny on the 'skirt' part. Almost as if it were seperate? When they show Padme lying on the ground look at the hem of the skirt area. I have also noticed the seams on the bodice as well. They show up best when Obi Wan touches her shoulder on the ship.
  2. Princess_Lesa Force Ghost

star 1
    My page is a work in progress, but here are a few notes about how I did my costume.

http://www.lesawilliams.com/Padme/Sleeveless.htm

I'll look at your specific questions later, and see if I have any ideas that may help you.
  3. Dorme Force Ghost

star 3
    Thanks you much Princess_Lesa! Your costume looks great and the info is clear and extemely helpful. I know my questions are overwhemingly lurking here, I appreciate you taking some time for them now! :) By the way those pics on your site are awesome! You and your daughter are so cute! :D

-~Dormé~-
  4. Princess_Lesa Force Ghost

star 1
    Thanks. I think my "little Leia" is quite cute too. :)

You made me think of a few things I wanted to elaborate on on my write up. I'll try to take pictures of my collar this weekend and add more text about it and the tunic. I'm still not 100% happy with the collar...I'm about 80% happy wiht it. I did attach it with velvo, and I used interfacing on the inside for the part that folds down.

I'm also going to play with the liquid sculpey this weekend for the buckle. We'll see how that goes!
  5. Princess_Lesa Force Ghost

star 1
    Just a few things I've learned on purchasing Sculpey (This is based on what I found in the Dallas, TX, area.)

If you call somewhere asking if they carry liquid Sculpey, they probably won't know what you are talking about. You will just need to go check yourself.

Both JoAnn's and Micheals carry liquid Sculpey. It's around $7.00 a bottle.

Michaels carries Premo Sculpey. It's $2.50 for 2 oz.

Both places have 40% coupons floating around right now. Micheal's was in our Sunday paper. Joann's I got in the mail.

Now to the creating!
  6. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dorme, for the hair, the buns on the back aren't braided, at least not on the maniquin in the archives, it was more like two hanks of hair twisted together, i don't think we got a picture of it though :( was very pleased to see the hair before i wore my costume :p going to remake my broach and buckle with the liquid sculpy, i think it costs $15 cdn at our michaels :( waiting for coupon :p
  7. Princess_Lesa Force Ghost

star 1
    For those of you who actually saw the brooch and buckle, is it more bronze than gold. From the pictures I've seen, it's looking bronze to me.

Thanks!
  8. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i think it was a bit on the bronze side
  9. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i started making my new buckle and broach with the liquid sculpy, i love it, still need to add a couple layers, its very thin and i'm worried it'll be pretty fragile. i love liquid sculpy :p
  10. jedilucass Jedi Master

star 2
    Just a question to those using liquid sculpy: is the end produce flexable at all?

I'm pretty much happy with my brooch for the time being, but I'm kinda scared of giving it a slight curve- sintra curves easy, but I worked super hard on carving it out, and am wayyyyyyy too nervous to mess with it at all. Curious, though, to see if the liquid sculpty has any bend to it... might be useful for other costume projects I have in my head.

Thanks!

~Laura
  11. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    it does have some bend to it
  12. Princess_Lesa Force Ghost

star 1
    I need some advice. I want to improve my gauntlets and embroider the symbol on the one that needs it. I have an iron-on right now. I have a nice picture, but I don't know where to start. Do I do it by hand or machine? Do I trace it on there? Do I buy one of those hoops and some thread and go for it?

Thanks!
  13. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Princess_Lesa-- I would suggest drawing out the symbol on a piece of dissolvable stabilizer. Then hoop it in place directly over your gauntlet where you want the final design. Then you would use DMC embroidery floss to hand embroider the design on (throught the stabilizer and the fabric. The hoop will serve to keep the fabric and stabilizer tight and in place.) I would suggest either a satin stitch, and/or short and long stitch for hand embroidery. Don't forget to strip your floss first. :) Once the embroidery is done, you simply wet the stabilizer and it will disappear like magic. Voila! Good luck! :)
  14. Princess_Lesa Force Ghost

star 1
    Thanks Ferdalump. I'll give it a try.
  15. jedilucass Jedi Master

star 2
    I drew it free hand,then did basically what ferdalump said. I used a satin stitch, and it turned out great... I forget which DMC clor I used- a light brown color, more of a "clay" in tone... finished it in about two or three hours. Mainly because I'm slow at stitching.

~Laura
  16. Princess_Lesa Force Ghost

star 1
    So can you get dissolvable stabilizer at Joann's and places like that? How much thread do I need? Thanks again.

Making progress on the 2.0 buckle. I'll post pictures soon.
  17. jedilucass Jedi Master

star 2
    For the embroidery, I used one thing of floss, sewing with three strands. There are six in it. And you should be able to find it at Jo Anns.

Hope that helped!

~laura
  18. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    correction, the liquid sculpy is really flexible, very bendy :) i was hoping it was going to harden up a little more, going to spray paint it tonight :)
  19. Princess_Lesa Force Ghost

star 1
    I thought I read on the Sculpey list that spray paint was not recommended?

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=12338206&replies=23

In the embroidery area, does anyone have a good link for tips on "stripping your floss"?

The Padawan thanks you.

20. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i've used spray paint on it before and not had a problem :) not 100% sure but i think stripping your floss means running it through bees wax :)
  21. Princess_Lesa Force Ghost

star 1
    Is it what this site is talking about? http://www.cauldroncrafts.com/tips/floss.htm

[face_thinking]
  22. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    must be, can't say i've ever done that before, i always just use it as is :p
  23. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have spray painted sculpy with mixed results. It's best to use acryllic paints and a sealer coat. Many times I have had the spray paint never really dry and become gushy and icky.

----

Stripping your floss means to separate the 6 strands in order to get your floss to lay better and better cover the area you are embroidering. Try to not work with a piece of floss too long or else you will get tangles and nots. I would say about an arm's length or so. To strip you gently run your fingers down the floss to find with direction runs smoother--one does. You want to have the smoother direction be the way you pull your floss through the material to get it to better glide. You will indiviudally pull the single threads out of the piece you have cut to use--one thread at a time. The put them back together (typically you embroider with about 3-4 threads)- Thread your needle and knot off the end. Run your fingers back down the floss strands to create a bit of static to get the threads together. Stripping is an important step in embroidery to get the floss to flow nicely and cover well. :)

Running the floss over some beeswax or Thread Heaven will help to condition the thread and reduce the occurance of knots, tangles, or broken threads. :)

Hope that helps.
  24. Princess_Lesa Force Ghost

star 1
    Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks Ferdalump!
  25. Ellbobin Jedi Master

star 4
    Heres one a friend of mine made:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/Ell_the_Ewok/US.jpg]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.