main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's ROTS sleeveless outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi Anne , Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Lesa

Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Premo Sculpey is .99 at Michael's through Saturday.

That is what I used for my new and improved buckle. I used a little liquid Sculpey here and there on it too.

[image=http://www.lesawilliams.com/Padme/Buckle.jpg]

Lesa

2. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    looks great :) how did you do the little flowers, i had a lot of trouble with that, just need to trim mine a little and still paint it, haven't had a chance to do it yet.

3. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    That looks really great Lesa! Excellent job!

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Nicely done. :)

5. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    beautiful details:)

6. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Thank you for the compliments! [face_blush]

For the flowers, I used Sculpey Moldmaker and made a mold for little flowers using beads I had like these: http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H143517MD

I then made the small flowers using the mold, and I used liquid Sculpey to help them stick to the buckle.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to best attach it. I'm going to do a pin back first. I'd made a couple of things to hold the belts in place in the back, but I miscaculated it and didn't figure that out until after I'd painted it, and I'm afraid I can't cook it again. I'm going to see what I can come up with this weekend. I have a local event to wear my costume to next Friday.

P.S. Everyone on this board has been so nice, helpful, and encouraging! Thanks!=D=

7. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Maggie's got some closes up of the hair and back of the dress on her site. Yeah! They are on the home page today. Here's the long-term link: http://www.padawansguide.com/sleeveless_makingof.shtml

8. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Here are the finished, new and improved gauntlets. I'm very please with how they turned out:

http://www.lesawilliams.com/Padme/gauntlets.jpg
    http://www.lesawilliams.com/Padme/naboosymbol.jpg

Thank you Ferdalump and jedilucass for all of your advice!

I also found an Antique Gold paint that looks really nice for the buckle. I'll take a picture of mine repainted and replace the previously referenced picture.

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, your gauntlets look fantastic Lesa! Your embroidery turned out great. :)

10. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Thanks! [face_blush] Yes, I'm hooked on this costuming thing!

I remember looking at your picnic gowns and thinking, how did she do that...now I have a small idea.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    That's the coolest thing I've read today. :)
    You know, the only reason I even dared to try and make a costume was because I was so inspired by the things I saw being created by members in this forum. I thought, if they can figure it out then maybe I can too. :)

You're doing a fantastic job with everything on this costume.

12. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Princess_lesa your gauntlets turned out great! And so did your buckle-wow!

Every day on here I see people making wonderful costumes, and it inspires me to do the same. We're a big inspiration center!

~laura

13. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Hi everyone - I'm about to redo this costume, and the only part I'm stuck on is the hair. I originally bought a wig but it's hard to keep in place on my head and just doesn't look quite right to me. I've read about people buying clip ons and other types of extensions, which I'd like to do, but I don't know what I'm looking for. I have places like Sally's Beauty Supply near where I live, but I'd like to know what I'm looking for before heading out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

I had already decided to redo my Sculpey pieces after seeing the real thing at C3, but after seeing much more accurate suedey fabric at JoAnn's this weekend, I decided to redo the entire top piece. I wish they had this stuff a few months ago! Bah. Oh well - at least I've had practice making one, so the next can only be better. :p

14. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    nice gauntlets :) sorry can't help with the hair, i got mine at a store you don't have in the US

15. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    For my hair: (not the one I wore at c3, but to the premire and a local fanforce meeting) I used four hanks of the 24" synthetic hair in the color that most closely matched my own color. I used three to make the braid(which I now think is a little too thick, so if it continues to bug me I might re-do that piece.) I just did a basic braid, then used thread (yeap, the regualr sewing machine thread) to tie off the top tightly. I then used a comb and superglued the hair to it.
    To wear it, what I did was make a ponytail of my own hair, stick the braid-on-a-comb above the ponytail tie, then used hte ponutail to cover up the comb. To do the twisty buns on the side, I used the 4th hank of hair, found the middle (which is conveintently maked by the rubbon band used to package it) and pinned that behind the comb, which left me two things of hair on each side. I twisted those and pinned them in a bun shape, added some hairspray, and that was it.

I bought the hair at a hair supply store in town- although we do have a Sally;s around here somewhere, I'm sure they have the materials there. The style held up well, too.

Hope that helped!

~Laura

16. MartyBrandt

MartyBrandt Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2004
    Hey all,

I was just wondering what everyone used for the "pregnant belly". Im making this costume for a good friend of mine for a Fan Film were working on. Ive got to get this costume done in a little less then a month from now. Im going to go get fabric for it sometime this week and Ive already been working on the 2 gold pin things. Ill post pics later. :)

Thanks!

-Marty

17. xoxostarrdustxoxo

xoxostarrdustxoxo Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    Hi I used a pillow that a clveryl rolled in a ball ot you can use leftover fabric.

18. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Hair:

For the hair, I bought two mid-length pony tail clips in Frisco, Texas, at a place called Sam Moon. I've seen the pony tails at Wal-Green's, CVS stores, and on the Internet (http://www.ebonyline.com/fw4005d.html). I split my real hair into two pig tails. (My hair is about shoulder length.) I had one long braid of synthetic hair (Zury - Hair Braid) I banded into my hair using hair from each of the pigtails to center it. I made the two hair clips into buns and secured with pins and a matching hair net. I then clip the buns over my hair in the pig tails and tucked in any other hair of mine I had under the buns. I placed a few more pins to secure things and then voila---Padme hair!

Lessons learned: I bought a mid-length clip. I wish I'd bought a longer or curlier one maybe. The ones I got seemed to work. The shorter one is difficult to pin back to itself. I have to use hair nets to keep them secure.

On the pregnancy look, I just made a small pillow out of some scraps material, muslin-like, that I had around.

Good luck! Post pictures!

19. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Lesa, can you post pictures of how you worked in the centre braid? That's the part I don't get how it's done, and I can't visualize it from your description (I'm challenged without photos, what can I say).

As for hair pieces, another good online store is www.abantu.com

20. MartyBrandt

MartyBrandt Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2004
    Thanks for the tips guys! Or gals for that matter. lol.

Heres a shot of the material, pin, and pleather for the straps.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/MikeBrandt/Padmeoutfit002.jpg]

I think I found an almost dead on color. It shows up grey in some shots and a tan color in others.

I bought the 5212 Simplicity pattern. It should work with some modfication. Im getting started on it tonight. Ill take more pics as I go.

-Marty

21. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Keep us posted, MartyBrandt! Looks like you are off to a good start. I'll be curious to see how that pattern works for you.

Sister Sola, I'll practice do my hair again soon and take some pictures.

Lesa

22. Lady_Eirtae

Lady_Eirtae Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2005
    Can someone explain the whole thing about liquid sculpty? I hear so much about that and I really have no idea what it is or how to use it. And I am attempting to start making costumes. I wanted to try this one...

23. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    To me, Liquid Sculpey (LS) has about the consistency of old honey. Some folks have used it to make their buckles by poring in on to a pattern. I played with it a little bit, but ended up going with Premo Sculpey. I did, however, love having the LS to use as a glue as was working on my buckle. I used it to stick my little flowers to my buckles. After to you cook it, it hardens like the rest of the Premo Sculpey. Was also nice to use to smooth out the surface, etc.

Hope that helps!

24. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Fabric Alert!!!!

I was at Hancock Fabrics today, and they have a new fabric in that is PERFECT for this costume. Here's the info:

Rainwood Quality Fabrics, Woven Suede, 54/60, SKU: 998880

The shades vary, but it makes me want to redo my tunic. It also even looks like it's lined. VERY pretty.

Oh, and the price is $7.99 a yard. From Aug 4-10, Hancock's is having a 50% off suede solids sale, and I think this fabric will apply.

This might also be a nice fabric for the Ewok Leia dress.

25. isis27

isis27 Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2005
    Hi everbody!

Does anyone have this costume for sale? I would rather buy it than make it.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.