Padme Amidala Padmé's "Sleepless Knights" gown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Sister_Sola, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    All discussion pertaining to this costume can be continued here. :)
  2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    For reference, there was also this older thread about it. It's now locked, but still has pictures of versions made by FERD & Benae that could prove helpful to those interested in making it now. :)
  3. MasterCenedra Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am in the first stages of making this gown, and I would like to know what the best fabric would be to make it. Ferda used a kind of Chiffon that changes colour, I live in New Zealand and I dont have a Spotlight near me, so I was wondering what site would be best to buy it from.

MC
  4. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Gah!!! I searched and clicked and still didn't find it! Thanks for finding that Dawn!
  5. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    I know in the recent Life newspaper insert article, Trisha Biggar mentioned that this nightgown was officially made of silk satin. Nice and simple. :)

And now that I saw the back of it and how pretty it is with the little pearl clasps...I want one! :_|
  6. Jayne Jedi Knight

star 2
    Silk charmeuse would be nice and comfortable, and charmeuse is a type of satin commonly used in pajamas and lingere-type outfits. It'd have to be a heavier one, or lined, to be decent, though.
  7. ecila Jedi Knight

star 2
    I would really like to make this gown by CIII (I'm counting on miracle for this to happen). I have a shiny periwinkle satin material I bought when the first pics came out. I think a thicker silk satin would definatly be the best. Joanns also has some nice heavier lilac satins.

Any suggestions on how to make the silver top part?

Someone asked in the other thread about the back. My guess is that each ruffle is a lopsided triangle, or half a rectangle with the shortest side on top. Make sense?

:)
    ecila
  8. Darth_Eagle Force Ghost

star 4
    Heehee, I'm the one who asked about the Shawl. ;)

Here it is for reference:

Okay, I'm trying to offer some construction advice to a friend on the Padme Lavender/'Sleepless Knights' Dress.

Looking at the new BACK picture of it over at Padawan's Guide, what does those here think the shawl shape is?

My friend thot it looks like Semi-Circle but from the way the shawl get pinned up and drape, I doubt it. Tried to use my Maul's Fellowship Cloak to try out the Semi-Circle theory but it doesn't seems to work as that will make it too wide to drape similar to the original and having parts that ended up in the wrong positions. I tried it both ways, using the straight side and the circular one.

Okay, will pass the infos to her about what might be the shape of the shawl. Thanks! :)
  9. Neimhaille Force Ghost

star 3
    MasterCenedra: Where in NZ are you? I'm in West Auckland and the nearest Spotlight is quite a way from me;)

If you live in Aukland, Wellington or Christchurch there is also Global Fabrics which will probably have a good ish selection. They are great for odd fabrics, but it can be a bit hit and mis as they deal mostly in importring from clearance stock.

There are a lot of smaller stores that would carry something like this that I can think of in AUckland anyway. Antique Lace and Fabric- misnomer, all modern stuff) and the Fabric and curtain Barn are just off the top of my head.
  10. Darth_Eagle Force Ghost

star 4
    Ops! :p I missed MasterCenedra question.

Well, to be semi-accurate, use Silk Satin like the original and to save your wallet, it's the Polyester one, not real Silk. ;) I like to use it for my LOTR Costumes, both for the gown and Lining for the Sleeves of my Velvet ones. It should cost around USD4 as mine cost SGD6/m while my friend who's doing this gown gotten hers for RM9.90. :eek:

Yub! My friend live in Malaysia, the capital Kuala Lumpur to be precise, while me in Singapore so we can't meet each other to discuss, other than online. :p Heehee, the miracles of the Internet. ;)
  11. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    You can get very reasonably priced silk satin in white at Dharma Trading if you don't mind dyeing it. :)
  12. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Has anyone found a pattern that works for this?
  13. Emmadala Jedi Padawan

I've decided to make this and bought the fabric today. I have a patteren and everything like that, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for shoes and was wondering what the decoration on the front of her dress looks like. I don't know how to make that part of the photo larger and everything to see it, so if anyone already has a close up, if you could post it that would be great. I'm also a little large on top (lol) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for what to use underneath. Should I make a dress on the bottom and a layer on top? Any help is greatly appreciated!
  14. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yay! I'm so glad someone else is making this dress--I am actually pretty fond of it. :)

In regards to how to get support in the bodice, I would suggest creating a full undergown with a fitted bodice. You will need something with an empire waistline and enough fullness in the front to accomodate a faux or real pregnant stomach. For the undergown I would recommend something like a batiste or broadcloth--something light that breathes well against your skin, is sturdy enough to serve as a foundation undergarment, and also won't cause too much static with all the overgown material. You can see in my pic below that my undergown has a "dip" in the bodice center front. I later reinforced this with a doubled and interfaced piece of the same material to better support the weight of the pin worn at the front of the gown. I just stitched in the reinforced piece. The undergown and overgown are sewn together and treated as one piece--That way you get the "toga" look of the original, but will have a supporting gown for your bust, and also a lined finished piece.
    [image=http://www.ferdalump.com/night3.jpg]

For the pin in the front--I haven't seen a really great picture yet--so here's a pic of what I created--I'm sure it's not perfectly accurate--but should give you something to start with. I created it using Fimo/Sculpey clay. Then I painted it with silver leaf, and sealed it with Fimo gloss sealer. I then glued two pinbacks to the back of it so it's removable.
    [image=http://www.ferdalump.com/nightpen.jpg]

Finally, for anyone that's interested in the fabric I used--it was indeed a chiffon--a color warp chiffon that is blue on one side and purple on the back and hints of the purple show through in certain lights. It's actually even hard to capture with a camera--Very pretty fabric. I got it locally for around $8.50 a yard and used about 4 1/2 yards or so on this dress.
    [image=http://www.ferdalump.com/night4.jpg]

Hope some of this is helpful! Good luck! :)

~Ferd
  15. Darth_Eagle Force Ghost

star 4
    I was thinking, without the Cape, for a 1.52m tall plus size person, will ~3m 60" Silk Satin be enough to make the dress? I got the Dull Blue Silk Satin leftovers from my CW Snow Bunny Padme Cape and I'm soooo tempted to use it for this dress tho' my version will have some outer coat or bathrobe or something since I don't wear sleevesless.

Oh, Ferd, your recommandation sounds brilliants! ;) Take care. :) *HUGS*
  16. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    FERD! You're back! :eek:
    Where did you find that chiffon fabric? I"ve never seen anything like it.

When I watched the McCullum (sp? whatever :rolleyes: :p) Spectacular, I tried to pay close attention to the pin. It almost looks like a moth or a butterfly that's sylized to be more triangular. I can't wait for the post-movie-release photos to come out!

As for shoes, I would pick something that looks like slippers--since its actually supposed to be a nightgown. ;)

I"m planning on using this dress to be my bridesmaid dresses for my wedding. :D
  17. Jayne Jedi Knight

star 2
    Darth_Eagle, I think that sounds like it could work. If you mock it instead of just cutting the fabric, you may even figure out a way to make a kind of cape out of the left-over edges.
  18. Emmadala Jedi Padawan

Thank you so much for your help! I'm starting on this today yay! Lol I usually can only find those giant fuzzy slippers so I'm like hmm. It'd be neat if she was wearing giant fuzzy slippers, but going by the look of the costume, I highly doubt that. :p
    Also I was going to order my pearls from fire mountain gems. Any suggestions for size?
    http://www.firemountaingems.com/pearls.asp
    There's a link. I hope it works somehow. I'm new. :)
  19. ecila Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hi everyone!

I wipped this dress out last week for CIII!

Here are some photos:

One of me with Benae, AmiV and Kay Dee!

Here is the side view and the back.

Oh, and here I am with Darth Vader!

:)

ecila
  20. Lil_Miss_Amidala Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have a question about the dress. The idea of using an undergown helps solve a lot of problems I was having with the dress, but I'm not exactly sure what I should do over top. When I look at the picture, I don't see any seams in the front. I know they need to be there somewhere, but I'm not sure how I should cut the fabric. Any suggestions?
  21. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    ecila: Your dress is lovely :) I love the drape in the back. :)
  22. JainaMSolo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey, did anyone else see the girl at C3 who had a "prom" version of this gown? It was absolutely lovely and I thought it was a great interpretation. I wondered if it was scratch-built or if she used an existing dress as the base.
  23. Lil_Miss_Amidala Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay, I need a second opinion before I go cutting.

So I'm making this dress for a masquerade coming up soon, so I want it to look pretty accurate.
    This is my plan so far:
    I'm going to make a normal, strapless dress to help keep everything in place and such. My underdress is going to be http://www.simplicity.com/assets/5207/5207.jpg , the black one with no straps and no overlay. Mine will be made of white, and it'll be a cheap-ish fabric. Then I plan on attaching the lavender fabric overtop.

This is the first time I'll be cutting fabric without a store bought pattern, so I thought I would check to see if anyone has any suggestions or possible help. Thanks a lot! :)
    ~Rebecca
  24. Emmadala Jedi Padawan

Lil_Miss_Amidala,

Hey,
    If you are starting from scratch I would recommend drafting your own from tracing/drafting paper just like the store patterns. If you don't have the time/paper/money I would recommend that you make drawings of the seperate pieces on typing paper and label them with numbers so you don't confuse them later. And it might make it go faster if you wrote down the probable dimensions of each piece. I've done the latter option before and found that it worked quite well for me. That's all I've got, perhaps someone with more experience can help you with a better suggestion. :) Good luck! This dress is so pretty, I'm working on my own version right now.
    I'm doing the underdress in a pink broadcloth, thanks to Ferd's suggestion! I'll try to post pictures of that when I'm done, followed by the top layer. Mine is a lavender/pink satin. :)
  25. -anthony- Jedi Knight

Hi, I do not want to start another "Color debate" but is it just me or this Satin Lingerie could actually be grey satin instead of lavender ?? Remember the first pic we've seen on it was on a Blue set....perhaps the blue reflected on the satin and made it appear Lavender...coz in this shot : http://padawansguide.com/padme3/lavender/promo1.jpg I just can't tell if it's lavender or grey....

any thoughts ?
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.