main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's "Sleepless Knights" gown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Sister_Sola, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Padme Andrea sent me this link to someone's costume photos from a LFL event and they have 2 photos of the front of this costume!! I've left a message in their guestbook asking permission to use them on my site. Hopefully they'll say yes. Anyhow - you can see the brooch clearly and that striping in the satin!!

Here's the whole album

and here are the photos of this costume:

photo 1

photo 2

If the above links to the photos don't work - they are on page 3 of the album.

Wow!

2. Aliabes

Aliabes Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Wao, so much details on those pictures! The brooch is really lovely. It's quite incredible how the color looks too.

I sense another long long color argument coming :D

3. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    OMG I KNEW it, I KNEW there were seams or something on the front :D. I just made a version for a friends daughter and placed seams on the front. Now I need to find that decorative trim to put on it. THe color is reallllly weird in those pics though, I still like the lilac blue from the very first picture we saw of it, so thats what I will make my new one from (for me). The brooch is really pretty, and looks easy enough to make too :).

4. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Those details make this dress more interesting and beautiful then it
    already was. Very pretty pictures, just wow :) .

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Those are fantastic pictures.

6. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Be warned, spoiler free types, that if you peruse the pics in the album Maggie linked to, there are some spoiley captions. Just a PSA from surlycorp.

It looks to me like the seaming on the nightgown isn't a regular seam with trim, but rather joined with a decorative (no snickers please) faggotting technique, or another heirloom stitch that creates the look of trim.
    Ferd would be the go-to woman on that information...

7. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    Well looks like I might have to make another one later on...for now, no decorative trim and my seams are already at the side anyway, but the brooch I can easily remake. A nore about colour in the picture: if you look at the pearl strands, you can tell the colour is a bit off...

Sarah

8. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Wow! Those pics are great! I had always thought that the pearls were a silverish color- not the regular white or cream color of regular pearls... now I'm really regretting not picking up a few strands on sale at a local flea market a few months back... am I the only one getting teh silverish color vibe from them?

~Laura

9. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm getting the silver vibe as well. ;)
    That would explain why in some of the shots, the strands almost looked more like rhinestones than like pearls. Hmmm...may have to make a trip back to Claire's

The color of the dress, however, I think is off. There are just too many pics that give it more of a blue/lavendar hue.

Its interesting and odd how the seams go diagonally--or is that just how the dress is hanging?

10. Lil_Miss_Amidala

Lil_Miss_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Darn, I had my whole dress planned with no seams in the front... I doubt it will make too much difference really though, I could just put a trim on it to make it look like there are seams, or just ignore it. :(

11. Rebel_Princess_Leici

Rebel_Princess_Leici Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    I have to change so much! I'm keeping my white pearls though, because they look white in every other picture we've seen. But damn what am I going to do about those seams?

12. PlayzOboe

Apr 8, 2005
    If anyone finds the trim, let me know where

Sarah

13. Lil_Miss_Amidala

Lil_Miss_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Okay, this is just an idea for the seams..

My plan so far was to use the lining pattern for a strapless dress, just to help keep everything comfortable and sturdy on the dress. I'm using Simplicity 5207 for the lining. What I was planning on doing was just cutting two long bits, and then putting in the seams in the side.

My new idea is to modify Simplicity 5044. It has some of the seams in there, so all you would need to do is extend the skirt part and cut some of the pieces into two to get some of those seams. Do you think this will work? *is now hesitating before cutting anything*

14. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    when i saw the pictures i thought of the faggotting as surlygirlie mentioned. here are a couple pages that have something about it:

http://vintagesewing.info/1930s/36-hsc/hsc-6.html

this is a long page, select trimmings from the drop-down menu and faggotting can be found under this section

http://www.countrybumpkin.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=23_39_101

this page has a few pictures of faggotting stitches.

15. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Heh, Trisha never does anything the easy way does she? Even the 'simple' costumes have tiny difficult details like this.

16. PlayzOboe

Apr 8, 2005
    And uhm is it just me or are the pearls connected to the brooch?? Look very closely and that's what it looks like...wish we had pictures of the back...

How do I connect the wings to the straps??

Sarah

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    LOL! I had the exact same thought when I saw these pictures, Sola. It can't ever be easy! But at least the challenging details really do help beautify these costumes. :)

In regards to the pearls, I've had a few inklings that they looked sort of silverish in certain pictures as well, but in others they don't. It's hard to tell. If the person who took those photos responds to Maggie's guestbook query about posting them on her site, then maybe he/she would answer a few questions about the colors for us as well.

18. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    He gave me permission to post the pics. I'll ask him about the colors..

19. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    PlayzObee: No. I don't think that the pearls are attached to the brooch. In the first pic, they end at the very edge of the brooch on the right shoulder (Padme's perspective of right). I think that they are tacked down to the fabric under the brooch.

I'm not sure if its just how the dress was stored and those are wrinkles in the dress, but between the seams in the front it seems as though there are pleats that are directed toward the interior of the dress.

20. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Ok, he replied and said "they were metallic...I remeber when watching the movie thinking to myself how impractacle her nighty was when wearing it to bed. those beads had to be uncomfortable." :)

I asked if they were a light silver or darker metallic - we'll see if he remembers..

:)
    Maggie

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for asking him. :) So according to him they are metallic beads as opposed to pearls?

22. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Eeek! Wonder at which exhibition will this dress ended up at.

If FIDM, there is a high chance of a lot of things being further confirmed by many expert eyes BUT if it comes to Singapore, I really can't give that much infos due to my still lacking costuming skills I got (even tho' 6+++ more months to polish it up) and ban on photograhy and maybe even sketching tho' I can legally do the later as will probably be an insider.

23. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Ok - he said in his opinion, he thought they were a "light polished metallic"... Hope that helps!!

24. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Great info, Maggie, thanks :)

Did he happen to mention anything about the actual color of the fabric?

25. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I saw another picture from the same event (different camera) and the fabric looks sort of blue-silvery. Still might be a function of the lighting, though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.