main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's "Sleepless Knights" gown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Sister_Sola, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    It was weird, I was looking for something elss and there it was!

I think the McCall's patterns at Handcocks at $.99 and the ones at JoAnn's were $1.99. Since I had to drive almost two hours to get there, I stopped both places. ;)

2. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    Wow!! I wish I that pattern to make the drapes on mine! They look much better than mine are hehe. I'll have to pick up the pattern sometime. It resembles the dress so much! odd though, I couldn't find it on their site... they don't have a pattern search by number to use that I can find either. I'll have to find a coupon and get it when I'm home, there's no Joanns or Hancocks within my reach for now lol.

3. SomeoneWhoLovesYou

SomeoneWhoLovesYou Jedi Master star 1

May 22, 2005
    Finally online! You can view it Here!

4. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    That is sweet!

Lol, but I am not going to redo this dress!!

:)

ecila

5. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    wow! I am going to have to pick this up soemtime, I do think I'll redo my dress sometime as some of the parts aren't the right colored ( I was bad and cut before I dyed =|). I can definately use the pattern for the drapes though, if they come out just like the picture that will help tremendously. =)

6. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Wow!! I need to get this. I really have to get busy on this and the pattern would help me along a bit. Thanks to everyone who keeps their eyes open for these!!!

7. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Its definitely worth it even just for help with the cape.
    I still think its supposed to be a single cape in the back, though.

The straps will have to be repositioned so that they are closer to the neck in the front.
    And they put boning in the top part, which I am not going to do.

8. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Woh! Feel like getting it for my attempt at this dress someday since I got the Baby Blueish Cloth at hand, as result of buying the wrong length for my Snow Bunny Padme Cape Lining. :p

Then again, am booked these days so may just wait for it to arrive in Singapore in 6-12 months' time. [face_thinking]

9. widow_skywalker

widow_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    I just bought this pattern the other day, and it is fairly true to the movie, except for the seams and the boning through out the bustline. I do have one question, for any who can answer: On the seams that appear to be "faggoted" on the movie version, would you suggest modifying the pattern before cutting to allow for the seams, since I am using the mccalls pattern, or post-cutting? Let me know your opinions.

10. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I usually like to make modifications before cutting, but sometimes you need to do it after as well. For something like this, you might be able to do it after. Look at the pattern peices for the front and see what it looks like. If it is a single peice, than you can just draw lines for the faggoting and cut as such. Don't forget when modifying a pattern like that, to leave room for the extra seams ;). I've made that mistake before, but luckily I could fix it in an area that no one would ever see :).

11. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    it's usually best to make your mock up and draw lines on it for alterations, then you can take it apart and transfer those alterations to your pattern or just make a new pattern altogether. and do remember to add seam allowances when you add seams! I think this is why the front part of my dress ended up being shorter than the rest as it is the only place I modified the pattern.

12. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    I got this pattern over the weekend and can't wait to get the thing done. I have been thinking about it for awhile now. Just getting the pattern will be very helpful to speed things along. I am going to wear this costume for halloween. We always go to a big party. I want to win best costume this year :)

13. widow_skywalker

Jul 5, 2005
    It had totally slipped my mind on making a mock-up of this gown, simply because it is one of the easier to stitch. Thank you, across0the0stars
    for reminding me of this step. [:D]

14. Miriamidala

Miriamidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2000
    Hello all! I just got the McCalls pattern for this dress yesterday. I got my fabric (a poly-satin lavender called Wisteria)at Joanns for 50% off. I think it is a great color and will hang just right. I don't know what to do about the fancy stitching in the front of the gown yet, but I am starting on my brooch today.

We are all going to be Star Wars characters for Halloween. We've got Padme, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Leia, an Imperial Royal Guardsman, Chewie, a Jawa, a young Padawan, a Tusken raider and possibly Greedo. :)

I have naturally curly hair, so for me the hair part will be the easiest. This will be the first costume I have made completely on my own, so I hope it turns out well. I will post pictures when it is completed. :)

15. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I was thinking about this today.
    You may want to get some tear-away stabilizer and baste the cut edges for the faggoting stich seams and then do the stitching. Then you can tear away the stabilizer.

16. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I was home sick today and managed to finish my upgraded version :D It looks great! I only wish I had my camera to take pictures (sold it to the parents and waiting for my new one). The wings in the back look great - my fiance said to leave the pearls off - looks hot as nightie ;) LOL. All I need now is the brooch and barrette :)

For the faggoting, I found some heirloom trim locally and dyed it the proper shade of blue. After drying, I simply attached it to the edges of the cut out peices :) Really easy, just time consuming is all.

17. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    You'll have to post pics when you're done.
    I've looked for that kind of trim. But so far no luck. My embroidery/sewing machine does a similar stitch, though. So I think I can just do it that way ;)

18. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    If anyone wants the trim, let me know, it was about $2 yd or so (I'll have to check again). It was easily dyed the blue shade I needed with RIT Royal Blue followed the directions to par and left it in there (stirring) for about 5-7 minutes I think.

19. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    I've decided to do this one for Halloween, I might not finish it in time for this years but next year for sure. Anywho I thought everyone might be interested in this for a japor snippet:
    http://www.tamashop.com/JaporSnippetStarWarsPadmeAmidalaNecklace.htm

20. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I took some pictures of my new version :D Spent all day yesterday making it, and I'm quite happy with this version. Well... except for the color and the cape, I bought the fabric way before we knew it was a slate blue, but I'm partial to lavender anyway ;)

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/cotumes/nightie02.jpg]
    I pinned the sides back to make it more form fitting (cat not included lol)

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/cotumes/nightie03.jpg]
    The costume loose and unpinned

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/cotumes/nightie04.jpg]
    The Back of the Dress - I might remake this, I don't think its flowy enough - maybe its just me lol.

I'm going to make a body suit with built in belly and bra to go underneath the costume as well.

Next project - the brooch and hairpeice.

21. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Nice job, :)
    So were the straps going around the neck one of the details that were learned with the new exhibit?

And I agree. I like the lavendar better than slate blue. We call it the "Lavendar dress" and that's what it was meant to look like in the movie. So that's the color I'm going to use. ;)

22. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I don't know if it really does that, but I thought it made it easier to get the dress on and off without the need of a dreaded zipper (I hate attaching zippers lol). I have Hook and Eyes hidden on one side of the dress, thats where the straps attach :)

Kim, I have to fabric shop for a friend's costume tomorrow, do you want me to pick up some trim for you?

23. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    The hooks and eyes are a good idea!
    When I altered the dress I got from you, I didn't put the straps around the neck and it can get rather difficult to get in and out of the dress!

PM sent

24. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    Great job on the costume Benae_Quee. It looks really great. I like the lavender too. I decided to do more of the slate blue, but that is because I am partial to blue. Good work!

25. widow_skywalker

Jul 5, 2005
    I am cheating on the heirloom stitching rather than leaving the skin exposed all the way down. I am putting the heirloom stitch on the flesh toned fabric, and then putting that on the dress, so the illusion of exposed skin is there, with out having to expose my skin. After all, it is October/November. Brrrr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.