main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Padme’s parents in the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Primetime_Jedi, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Luke has no memory of his mother, but it is conceivable (no pun intended) that he could meet his grandparents.

A friend of mine did his own edit of AOTC, and he included the deleted scene of Padme bringing Anakin to meet her parents. It actually flowed pretty well with the story, and her parents were not that old…fifties maybe?

So, in the ST era they would be very old, 100-ish, but this is Star Wars. Age doesn’t matter. It is plausible that they could still be alive. (I don’t know if any books contradict this, but even if they did that doesn’t matter to J.J. and crew) Padme also had a sister who would certainly be alive unless she was murdered/killed.

How cool would it be for Luke to travel to Naboo and meet his mother’s parents? This could bring great closure to that part of his life. They would most likely have pictures of Padme as well that Luke could see. Another deleted scene has Padme showing Anakin her room with pictures on the wall of her.

You heard it here first. J

Palpatine77 and Iron_lord like this.
  2. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    There were theories about Luke and Leia to reunite with their cousins and it would be a nice gesture although they would be even older than them, dead even.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Too old, but you bring up a good point. The Amidala family are as much Luke & Leia's relatives as the Skywalkers. They could have cousins, uncles etc.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In sci-fi, what constitutes "too old" might be different to the present day.

Primetime_Jedi likes this.
  5. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Why? What would this add to the movie?

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Her parents would be too old. Maybe her sister and nieces. And the youngest of the two, Pooja was a Senator in the Imperial Senate. Maybe she could be one in the New Republic Senate.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Padme's parents would be over 100 years old in the ST.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not impossibly old for a sci-fi character. Especially in a world with advanced medical tech.

9. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    It's not likely to be closely tied to the plot, but you never know even with that. What we do have is in the previous epsode--VI--Luke states that he never knew his mother. The audience knows who she is. It's not a huge stretch to think the writers would close this part of the drama to further Luke's character. There's not that many more ways that Luke can develop, but this could be one.

10. KevinM1

Nov 15, 2012
    But, putting aside whether Padme's parents would be too old, or if the rest of her family even exists at this point, again I have to ask why? What would the story gain by spending time on this? Luke has already come to peace regarding his father, and Leia's relationship to him was utterly inconsequential. Aside from the "it would be neat" factor, which is disputable and something that GL followed far too often in the PT, what would be the point?

Not everything needs to be related, mentioned, or seen across trilogies. I'd much rather Kasdan and Abrams focus on making a tight story that has minimal distractions. If there's something in Anakin's legacy that's relevant to the plot, so be it, but doing it just because is pointless.

11. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    As long as they meet Kitster, I'll be fine.

12. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I'm telling you, he's the new villain.

13. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    How was 45 minutes of Jar Jar essential to the plot? Something like Luke meeting his grandparents COULD be tied into the plot. It doesn't have to be a plot point in and of itself. Perhaps her parents have a dying message for Luke that changes the course of the action in the middle of the movie, or something like that. Explaining Boba Fett's origin wasn't exactly essential either but it was tied into the story.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Or it could be like the "trip back from Ansion" in AoTC - a passing reference to events outside the movies - in this case, they could be coming back from a visit to Naboo.

mes520 likes this.
  15. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

Max von Sydow would make a fantastic Kitster!

Luukeskywalker likes this.
  16. KevinM1

Nov 15, 2012
    Thank you for illustrating my point. :p

I cannot fathom that they would have anything to tell Luke - presumably a Jedi master at this point, and someone who already went to the brink and came back - that he would find useful in the middle of a crisis.

Again, illustrating my point.

Look, I get it. You think it would be interesting to see. I just question its value to a movie that needs to spend time catching us all up on the 30 years we've missed, introducing new characters, and creating a problem for our heroes to address. Especially when, again, Luke already came to grips with his father's fall, and Leia's relationship with Anakin/Vader was essentially meaningless. Adding Padme's family is just a superfluous detail that won't actually add anything. Like Jar Jar, like Boba Fett and 3PO's origins.

If Luke and Leia are going to grow as characters, it's going to be in the course of a new context - parenthood, being a mentor, etc. - not retreading old ground.

Again, we don't need to see every little connection across the trilogies. That's one of the traps GL fell into during the course of the PT, and the movies suffer for it. It makes the galaxy small, and comes across like bad fan fiction. "Wouldn't it be neat if...?" can be the start of a decent idea, but it is not the sum of one.

17. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    I think Luke and Leia visiting Padme's grave on Naboo could work quite well.

No need for Padme's parents, though. Not to mention they would be too old, anyway.

18. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Jar Jar was essential to the plot as he lead Obi Wan and Qui Gon to Theed and it's because of him that the Padme was able to make an alliance with Boss Nass and at the end of the movie Jar Jar was leading the Gungans in the Battle of Naboo (in what was essentially 1/4 of the Naboo Liberation).;)

19. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    Unless there was a strong story reason to do it then I would prefer it not be in the ST. However, it would be great to have a novel that has Luke and Leia going to Naboo after RotJ and meeting their relatives there.

20. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Naboo is beautiful. I would like to see at least one scene there in the ST. Reminds me of the pretty solid Episode 1-era videogames (Battle For Naboo, Racer, Jedi Power Battles, the Twisted Metal inspired Star Wars game)

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd rather have a cousin or something than Padme's parents. Also more believable than Obi-Wan descendent.

22. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    To be honest - I don't really think there's a narrative reason for them to be a part of the ST.

23. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Dunno bout seeing her parents but I'd LOVE to see Naboo again

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The only problem with going back to Naboo is there's a chance Jar Jar is still going to be around falling over his walking frame [face_laugh]

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think it would be cool to see a new Amidala brought into the story. Wouldn't even have to be specifically related to Padme. Maybe something like a freedom fighter from Naboo taking the name and thus drawing the attention of Luke and company.

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.