main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala & Leia Organa - Are they modern women?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by JKBurtola, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    *Disclaimer* I would like it if this thread had no bashing or flaming present. This is not a discussion about Natalie Portman or Carrie Fisher's acting, but on the characters*

First off I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I'd stick it in here and see what response I got.
    Second this is inspired by 18 year old Sister, who is doing a project on Modern Women in film and this is sort of a dedication to her efforts.

Right, now although Star Wars has alot of male characters and we are essentially dealing with two male heroes (Anakin & Luke), when I was filling in a survey my sister did for her project on what is a Modern Woman and whether this is presented in film, when I came to the question "What film's/film character's portray what you see as the Modern Woman?" I at first didn't think of the Mother & Daughter duo, but of someone like Ripley from Aliens. Then I kinda got thinking that maybe Padme and Leia do represent modern women and are positive role-models.

Anyway, before I add my thoughts to this, I wanna know what everyone thinks of this (yes even the males ;) ) and whether Padme & Leia do represent modern women or embody certain characteristics of modern women.
    What do you think?

- BTW I do understand that everyone may have a different interpretation of what a Modern Woman is and what their characteristics are, so I ask that everyone be open minded and hopefully we can get some interesting discussion.

2. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I would say in many ways they are. They have the situation of balencing family and carrer, especially padme. They also are both shown as assertive leaders, Leia in particular. I would say they're idealized figures of the modern woman. Of course, I seriously doubt any man or woman in reality would be capable of many of the things they do in the movies, but hey, it's the movies.

3. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Considering Star Wars happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... I don't think they'd be considered "modern". [face_mischief]

Interesting thread, I hadn't really thought of Leia and Padme in that light. They both are extremely assertive and hold power in a responsible manner. They like to do things their way, for example Padme travelling back to Naboo against advice and Leia ordering Han around.

4. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    Considering Star Wars happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... I don't think they'd be considered "modern".

Yeah I know :p
    But even so I curious to wonder if other fans have seen any aspects or characteristics which are similar to the modern woman of today. And of course, film is a medium which in any setting can portray women in such a light whether its in Star Wars or something like Bridget Jones' Diary.

I do think that Padme & Leia are similar to what is known as the modern woman.
    They are both strong, assertive, independent, career orientated but yet also loving, caring, affectionate, feminine and also want a family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.