main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Padme & Anakin: Who knew?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SithLord_1270, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm not sure if it should be spoilered or not, time-frame wise, but - skip that. Let's say Obi-Wan did have a relationship in the past - assume as you will it was Siri (from JA), Satine (from TCW) or an OC - I'm not entirely sure it would be entirely fair to categorize such as "secret."

IF it had been a physical relationship, it wasn't openly spoken about, but that does not make it secret. Few people go around announcing, "By the way, I'm intimate with so and so - thought you should know." :D Not speaking about something is not necessarily hiding it.

There has been "talk" (boards, various places) that had Anakin and Padme merely been "good buddies" without the marriage (and Anakin's possessive obsession with "his" wife), the Order would have accepted that relationship had it become knowledge.

2. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Well, first, I think Palps orchestrated the whole thing by assigning Anakin to protect Padme in AOTC. He was dangling a temptation right in front of him. Second, Palps was a senator and is probably very well connected on Naboo and would find out through his own channels -- in addition to sensing Anakin's feelings.

3. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I think there were deleted scenes in AOTC where Anakin hangs out with Padme's family on Naboo. And don't forget Padme was buried with her pregnancy clearly visible.

4. kaitco

kaitco Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    This is very amusing to me. The Jedi are completely opposed to the intimacy and attachment of marriage, but have no problem with bold "fornication."

I think Obi-Wan knew from AOTC that something was up between them, but chose to ignore it due to the Clone Wars; there was simply no time to chide and fully act upon Anakin's actions. His quote to Padme before following her to Mustafar in ROTS, "Anakin's the father, isn't he?" sounded like more of a rhetorical question that was meant to get her to go to Anakin so he could follow.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    As opposed to wimpy fornification?

6. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Pretty much shows where the Jedi philosophy was somewhat diseased. That distinction, taken to its logical end, would mean that Jedi were forbidden from marrying, having potentially stable family lives, and raising children, but if any of them got horny, they could have sex, as long as there's no strings attached afterward. So much for positive family values, haha.

And these guys are supposed to be the paragons of good? What. the. hell?

Lady_Misty likes this.
  7. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Agree 100 percent with FalorWindrider. There are times when I wonder how Anakin lasted as long as he did, as messed up and dogmatic as the Jedi philosophies were.

VanishingReality and Lady_Misty like this.
  8. Jedipilot25

Jedipilot25 Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2010
    At the very least, Obi-Wan knew that Anakin had something for Padme. Over time, I think he came to suspect that something more than friendship was going on between Anakin and Padme but didn't challenge either of them on it because he didn't want to know what was really going on. This is because Obi-Wan is like a brother to Anakin and also good friends with Padme. Also, I think Obi-Wan took Windu's advice in AOTC to heart, namely that he must 'have faith that Anakin will choose the right path.'

Lady_Misty likes this.
  9. MiricaEclipse

MiricaEclipse Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2011
    Honestly, it's always been my belief that Obi-Wan suspected, but just thought they were dating or something... that it wasn't until ROTS, that he suspected it might be more than that.
    Also, i think they'll have to put this quesiton's answer in the Clone Wars... Because honestly, this is such a big question, that probably should have an official answer!

Lady_Misty likes this.
  10. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    We know for sure that R2 and 3P0 knew.

Bail Organa knew, he caught Padme with Anakin's light saber in that episode of CW...

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh, man. My middle-aged housewife mind went exactly where it needed to go with that one. [face_mischief]

"It's heavier than I thought it would be..." [face_devil]

Anyway...according to Clone Wars Gambit: Siege, Bail Organa guessed, based on Padme's reaction to Anakin and Obi-Wan being trapped on Lanteeb.

VanishingReality likes this.
  12. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Windu knew mere moments before his death.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  13. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I've always wondered why Palparine didn't just rat Anakin out to the Jedi Council the second he found out. Anakin would have been kicked out and Palpatine could have been waiting to take Anakin under his wing right outside the Temple doors.

But then again, Palpatine always did like taking the most convoluted, complicated course of action. ;)

Lady_Misty likes this.
  14. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Artoo and Threepio knew. Obi-Wan knew. Palpatine knew. And according to the EU, one of the other Jedi Knights who Anakin sparred with on occasion knew because he was married to a female Jedi.

15. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Pretty much shows where the Jedi philosophy was somewhat diseased. That distinction, taken to its logical end, would mean that Jedi were forbidden from marrying, having potentially stable family lives, and raising children, but if any of them got horny, they could have sex, as long as there's no strings attached afterward. So much for positive family values, haha

For an organization that valued lack of attachments, why would you expect them to harbor family values?

Lady_Misty likes this.
  16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    ^^^^ Yeah, this. The prequel Jedi were an intelligence agency, paramilitary operations force, and national police force all rolled into one, with the primary goal of sustaining peace through ensuring civilization continued to exist. They're not the Catholic Church or really any religious group; they're focused on law enforcement and don't seemingly expect anyone else to operate under the rules they've chosen for themselves. It's less "this is how you should live!" and more "we live like this to minimize the danger we pose to the galaxy."

17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

The Jedi is supposed to be a religious order. Their philosophy was regarded as a religion and is based upon several religions throughout the world. Their philosophy was identified as a religion as far back as "A NEW HOPE". Even religious groups here in the real world have become involved in military matters or created armies on their behalf. And they have gotten involved in political matters. It's nothing new.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The Jedi is supposed to be a religious order.

Says who? You? :p

Their philosophy was regarded as a religion and is based upon several religions throughout the world.

But they don't act like any religious group on the planet today, and feel free to point out any religious group which was both not artificially created for political reasons (AKA church of england) and subservient to the dominant government of their country. There isn't one.

Their philosophy was identified as a religion as far back as "A NEW HOPE".

Yeah, by Tarkin of all freaking people. I wasn't aware Tarkin was an acknowledged expert on the Jedi; hell, Ben explicitly contradicts him earlier by saying "The Jedi were the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy." That's not a religious sentiment; that's a secular one and has been for literally centuries here, particularly in view that the Jedi are not passive commentators, but rather act as Space Cops half the time-the chronologically first thing we see them doing is attempting to resolve some very secular issues having to do with free trade and taxation of trade routes.

Furthermore, the Jedi do not function as a religious group in relation the the people around them. They do not claim to have discovered a better way for everyone to live, they do not expect anyone seemingly to conform to their standards of morality, which they impose only upon themselves, at least as far as denial of emotion and the rule against attachment goes. There is no Jedi Church where everyday people go and worship the Force. The Jedi do have a temple, but it seems primarily to be a place where Jedi are both taught to be Jedi in the first place, as well as plan to keep the galactic boat from sinking. It's hardly a centre of Force worship or anything like that.

Even religious groups here in the real world have become involved in military matters or created armies on their behalf. And they have gotten involved in political matters. It's nothing new.

That's nice, but it's still no indiciation that the Jedi are actually a religion as we understand the term.

19. DARTH_DEEZY

DARTH_DEEZY Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2011
    Palpatine mentions that he has always known about the "secret ceremony" and that it wasn't much of a secret because Naboo is his home and he has friends in the clergy...also R2-D2 and C-3PO knew as did Obi Wan Kenobi...what is in question for me is how long did Obi Wan Know? because he did confront Padme regarding her pregnancy..."Anakin is the father isn't he?"

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think Obi-Wan always knew, but may have thought that they cut ties.

As far as Padme's family, I found a source that mentioned Leia and Pooja discovering that they were cousins. Pooja said that Anakin would visit and play games with her and her sister. Makes me think that Padme's family knew, especially given how quick Sola was to pick up on their budding romance in the deleted scenes.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Obi-Wan knew about the relationship (it's not like they tried to hide their feeling or even embraces in AOTC) :) Not sure he knew they were actually married. All in all, Obi-Wan keeps quite a few secrets in the Saga: doesn't rattle on Anakin to the Council (including his sidetrip to Tatooine), doesn't tell Luke about his Dad or his sister.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I very seriously doubt that he knew that they had actually gotten married. The scene in the ROTS novelization states that Obi-Wan told Padme that he knew that they were "in love."

And yes, Obi-Wan kept quite a few secrets, and one of the saddest parts is that Anakin didn't confide in Obi-Wan because he assumed that Obi-Wan would rat him out, that Obi-Wan's position on the Council would trump his friendship with Anakin. If Anakin had felt that he could trust Obi-Wan more, it might have made a difference.

Another line in the ROTS novelization indicates that Dooku knew. He baits Anakin with, "So how is Senator Amidala?" Of course Anakin has to stop himself from going bats on the man right there. He tells him never to mention her name.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  23. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    oh! and according to the ROTS Book Obi-Wan knew but never spoke of it... what a great guy!

Arica

24. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006

And that lousy puke TOLD Palpatine.

[face_not_talking]

25. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    MOFF Panaka to you......