main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme AOTC Battle Outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Well, I was thinking of making a Padme AOTC battle outfit, but I'm not sure of what fabric to use, I mean yes, it's white, but is it thick or thin, fuzzy or whatnot...

Also in the costume she has silver-colored arm bands which also got me thinkin. I not sure how I could do that either...

In fact I really am not sure of how to do anything, so any thoughts or tips on this costume issue of mine would be a great help!! :D Thanks!

-~Dorme~-

2. PunkJr

PunkJr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2001
    The way I saw it, it looked kinda like white spandex. But I dunno... *laugh*

3. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Currently for the shirt, I'm using my white turtleneck long sleeves t-shirt (made of some kind of knit material) with the pants made out of white cotton lycra. Later when I can afford more cotton lycra and tailoring, I'll have the shirt also made of lycra too. (choosing cotton over nylon cause it's cheaper and more thicker. And absorb sweat better?)

For the handbands, I can recommand metal/aluminium sheet (that's what I'm using), those thin bendable type or you can also use sintra/ABS painted silver. Create a bangle (sp?) type where the 2 ends doesn't get seal/meet for easy future expansions ;)

Boots, no idea yet. I'll make do with white high cut shoes (2 B bought for my ANH Leia costume) with added white shineguard. But if you are good at scupting, try to do it with sintra or pvc pipes.

Her cape, probably some wool like ,material. I notice some kind of patterns on it but it could'd been the knitting style.

Her belt, leather or vinyl or anything you can thicken to look like leather. And it's off white/pale beige

Her hair, something like from TPM Battle Garb.

That's all I can thick off. [face_plain]

4. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Like Darth_Eagle said, I'd go for something like a stretchy cotton blend for the fabric - possibly a cotton/lycra or even just plain ol' cotton (if you can find it in the right texture). You won't want to do polyester or "man-made" fabrics (unless it's blended at most 50/50 with the cotton), just because this outfit is long-sleeved, and you don't want to sweat to death wearing it. :)

I don't remember where I read this, but someone somewhere was saying that the "boots" are actually white soccer shin guards (probably painted white), and the shoe part is just a plain ankle boot. You'll probably want to haunt some sport equipment shops to find them - from what I remember, they're not too expensive, either.

Yes, sintra would be the good way to go for the armbands.

I also recently saw some wool-like fabric that would be ideal for the shawl/cloak thing. Now's a good time to find that type of fabric anyway. :)

Good luck!
    kreleia ^.^

5. Sarah

Sarah Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 1999
    I've seen one good pic of this costume that shows the texture of the cape, it looks to me like a lozenge-twill type woven, my guess is it was custom made for the piece. But this is indeed the time of year to shop for interesting woolens.
    Cotton-lycra for the bodysuit sounds good, sometimes you can find really good heavyweight stuff.
    good suggestions for the armbands, I also wonder if silver lame fabric over some stiff base like plastic milk jug would be a low-tech option? I'm going to watch this thread, since I may end up making this one eventually for my daughter!
    thanks,
    Sarah

6. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    >good suggestions for the armbands, I also
    >wonder if silver lame fabric over some
    >stiff base like plastic milk jug would be a
    >low-tech option?

Sure, that sounds like a good idea! That is if the arms can fit the milk bottles! ;) Mine can't. :(

Anyway, I sticking to the idea of using "medium hardness" aluminium plate to make the bangle. Now I only need to get a heavy duty cutter (like gardening cutter) to be able to cut the plate into required size. I may need to shape the metal around some pipe or broad circular thinging. But do anyone know how to blunt the cut ends of the plate? ?[face_plain]

I also discovered something recently in a "back & right side" view picture I seen in Apr/May 2001 UK SW Magazine. It seems the bangle is not one whole metal piece like a pipe but is a metal strip. I can see the seamline on it. Why, it could also had been wind around Padme's arm instead of having both sides sealed.

Another thing I notice about the suit is that it's cut in a T-shape manner, meaning the sleeves and body part are one piece. There is no seamline between the arm and shoulder usually seen in t-shirt here. The neck is also a simple MOCK turtle neck.

As for the shin guards, I doubt they are soccer shin guards. Soccer shin guards are usually one curved piece and it only covered the front and slightly the sides but the one wore by Padme goes way along the shin sides, and even onto the back. This is seen in the last issue of the Insider where it show the full body look and of Natalie sitting down. I never seen such shin guard but will try to look for the closest one or else I have to use PVC pipe!

LOL, [face_laugh] it's funny that I notice more about the different costume in the UK magazine than in the Insider. Maybe the Insider people should take hints from the UK one in showing BIGGER pictures of the different costumes/aliens seen. (Just wish I can get the UK one regularly!)

Well, that's all my bambling about the suit now. I'm waiting for the week after Dec 16 to get the cotton lycra fabric and sent it to make the pants to my usual tailor. She's very busy now with the usual Aidil Fitri clothing/tailoring rush so I'm avoiding any more tailoring job till then. Anyway, I'm trying my best to settle my sewing machine so that I can redo my ANH Leia inner skirt (am using acetate skirt lining as the actual skirt a bit translucent!) and sew a few other parts of my costumes. I still need to update my website too and launch the other 2 (personal & cosplay) by this Dec 1. And hopefully tomorrow I can get away from home for a while to get that walking foot at Chinatown here (that's where many sewing machine are found I's told).

7. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Y'know what else you could do for the armbands (I don't know why I didn't think of or post this before) - use a piece of cardboard tubing, like a mailing tube or something the same size as your upper arm, sew some silver metallic fabric around it, and slip it on. You sew the fabric on by cutting a strip that's long enough to go completely around the tubing (and overlap a little), and has a few extra centimeters (or an inch-and-a-half) above and below the edges of the tubing. Pin the overlapped part, and fold the extra fabric to the inside of the tubing. Stitch (by hand).

I wonder if that's what's causing the "seam" you're seeing in the pics, Darth_Eagle. :) I did that exact thing for a genie costume cap this year, and it actually turned out really cute - very low-tech! You can't see the cardboard through it, and it's easily repairable if something happens to it.

kreleia ^.^

8. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Here's a great shot from the Official site so you can see 2 things -- the seam in the arm bands and the T-section seam at the front of the top.

Also notice the sleeves extend just that little bit further to cover the base of her hands.

9. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Wow! Super info....

I'd been under the impression that the material was more of a shimmery-sheened sort....I'd also thought about poking around in dance-clothing stores...it seemed the best bet for body-suit type outfits.

Now I just really need to get on the tummy crunches (and find a way to avoid holiday foods!!! Ack!!!!)

10. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I can only think of knits and lycra right now for the fabric. But have to make sure the fabric is not too shiny like some nylon lycra or else, it wouldn't look as good in pictures (reflect back too much light like satin?)

11. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Excellent picture!!

Is there a great picture of her legs/boots?

I have a bag of (off) white leather scraps sitting under my dining room table just waiting to be made into this costume!

I will try aluminum flashing for the arm bands.
    I have used it for many costume projects because we have a ton of it left-over from some garage roof repairs a couple years ago. You can cut it with tin snips, or any bad pair of scissors will do. You can also file it quite smooth and it is kinda flexible. If this doesn't work, there are always several plan "B"s.

12. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    My biggest problem with it would be how hard it is to look good in skin-tight white...<shudders at the thought>...and that close up really displays the style of the waist.....certainly doable!

13. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    The last issue of SW Insider have the full body picture. I'll zap it to you immediately.
    ;)

Sorry, can't put it up on my website(s) so soon.

14. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    Nostradamus, I followed your link in your signature line and your costumes are fantastic!! How many costumes have you made?
    I hope I see you at Celebration II in Indy!!

15. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Here's a good shot of her shin guards. Her boots are just normal white blundstones (like the Stormtroopers used in the OT).

16. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Thanks Lady STAR!

I have made MANY costumes in the past couple years. Maybe 40+ this year. I completely lost count.

YES!!!!!! INDEED we are going to CII!!
    I have our badges in my posession.
    The hotel room is booked.

I am currently planning out how I can make all of the costumes that I want to.
    Hopefully I will get three or 4 done next month.

Dartheagle-I got the email! Thank you very much!! I printed it out (in a hurry on my way to work this morning) and it cut the boots off! :eek:
    I will try to make the pic smaller and print it again.

I think this is next EP II costume I will make for Quincy.

17. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Do you guys have any suggestions for patterns for the white body suit part of the outfit?? And, guess what?? I just started working on mine... ermm... it's looking... "special"... Garrr.

If you know me, I was all thinking that this was gonna be as good as Trisha Biggarts, but of course, it's no where near... :( The fabric is nice though, and I'm sure it will turn out at least decent for the celebration! So maybe you guys can spot me in my slightly peculiar Padme outfit.. :p

tehe.

-~Dorme~-

18. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Do you guys have any suggestions for patterns for the white body suit part of the outfit?? And, guess what?? I just started working on the belt... ermm... it's looking... "special"... Garrr.

If you know me, I was all thinking that this was gonna be as good as Trisha Biggarts, but of course, it's no where near... :( The fabric is nice though, and I'm sure it will turn out at least decent for the celebration! So maybe you guys can spot me in my slightly peculiar Padme outfit.. :p

tehe.

-~Dorme~-

19. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    LOOK @ this picture: !!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/french-1.jpg

It shows the seam under the arm....and it looks like there is a seam on the top side of the arm as well. It also shows the seam in the arm band.

I just bought some material for this today.

I was going to be lazy and just use a white turtle-neck and leggings---but guess what? No white leggings! The are easy enough to make, but now I am going to have to make the top too, just so that the fabric and coolor matches.

20. Sarah

Sarah Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 1999
    Excellent photo, shows the seams very well.
    For jumping-off-point patterns, I'd look for a Kwik-sew or maybe stretch n sew leotard... or, there might be a leotard type thing in a Big Three... skating dress? hmm. But to get the seams in the right place, you're going to need some test/throwaway fabric off the clearance aisle to experiment with. I can see that the seam over/between the bust area is to give some shaping beyond what's built into a stretch fabric, it looks like it sort of does what a dart and/or a princess seam would do, without going the whole route of a princess seam. And making it fit very, very close. ;) I like the glimpse of the gusset under the arm, too. and being able to see the waist of the pants, so it does look as if it's two separate pieces...
    If I were making this, and I suppose it's not unlikely in the future, since it has been on my daughter's wallpaper already... I'd start with the leotard thing and draw the desired seamlines on the conventional test with magic marker, cut it apart along those lines, redraw, recut (add seam allowances) and continue to tinker till I got it right. Or, purchase 'close-enough' items and put the time and energy into making the cape and accessories.
    Sarah

21. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    May I tell you all I'm in awe? I do costumes, but at a MUCH lower level of sophistication. That being said, I admire all of you and your hard work! Wow!

I've purchased a form-fitting mock-necked white shirt from Target...it's sort of shimmey, but I think I can modify it to work for the top. I need to turn under the collar, and add some seams to make it look more accurate. I do have one problem, though...how does one keep, um, undergarment lines/outlines from showing? I don't mean tightness-wise so much as the outlines...especially in the back of the top. Ideas?

I have white leggings, but they're too thin..don't look quite right. My skin tone is a bit too dark for them to work, so I'll have to look for perhaps a canvas or bleached khaki material to work with for them. Also, for the silver armband, would a thick silver ribbon work?

22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    >how does one keep, um, undergarment
    >lines/outlines from showing? I don't mean
    >tightness-wise so much as the
    >outlines...especially in the back of the
    >top. Ideas?

Option 1: Use T-Shirt Undies (Famous Brands like St Michael: Mark & Spencers, Triump and Wonderbra should have them) and white color

Option 2: Use strapless one and tube top, both white color ;)

>Also, for the silver armband, would a thick
    >silver ribbon work?

Maybe, it's better that you put a hard interfacing underneath it too to give more "strength". Then, it'll not get folded or crumpled too much after some time. I'm using aluminium sheet to make mine and the thing is a slightly soft (can cut with a gardening/pruning scissor but not normal ones) so I just need to bend it hard against something round to get the shape. Wish I can get a more harder ones (like the bangle) but that will need a more professional help in bending it! :p

So what's your plan in order to secure the 2 ends together? Velcro?

23. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I will try Velcro first.

I need to find our aluminum flashing for some other costume pieces.........

The fabric I found for the costume I am going to make for Quincy is not very see-through, but you could try wearing an other layer under yours.
    I think I may know the exact shirt you bought. I bought a black mock-turtle neck from Target. The material is interesting. I was planning on using the black one for my stormtrooper undies. ;)

24. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Darth Eagle, thanks for the tips...however, neither worked for me. :~(...too many lines, still. I'll keep trying...maybe I'll take a pic and email you sometime, get some suggestions? (You seem *very* knowledgable.)

Nostradamus, sounds like it might be the same line of shirts, alright!

BTW, what is everyone doing for the pistol?
    And would a strip of some sort of tan material with lining suffice for the belt?

25. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    One thing to try - a built-in "shelf bra." That's how a lot of companies are getting away with tube tops and tight-fitting shirts nowadays. Where was it that I saw this recently...??? **wracks brain** Well, anyway, what it is, basically, is a smoothly lined bra that's built into the lining, or second layer of the shirt. And, usually, the shirt is fitted enough that you don't need a big ol' strap across the back. ARGH!! Where did I see this!?? o_O;; First thing that comes to mind is Victoria's Secret, but it's been a while since I've seen their catalog.

.... d'oh!! -.-;; I'm sorry, I can't remember right now! I'm betting that there are patterns out there for it, though. I'll see what I can find.

kreleia ^.^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.