main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme AOTC Battle Outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    shinguards look great :)

2. Tally-Skywalker

Tally-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    That's kool. I'm just about to start my shirt either tomorrow or sunday. I finished the pants though![face_dancing]

3. senator__padme

senator__padme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    From this weekend:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/jmolinaro1/AdCon2006/P6240778.jpg

I still need a new shirt, pants, belt/pouches, and boots, but at least the shinguards and armbands are done... haha. One day I'll be satisfied with this costume.. I promise.

4. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    The shin guards look awsome, but I thought you were gonna make the arm bands the separate peices.

~tally

5. senator__padme

Jul 7, 2005
    I'm not going to 'separate' the armbands yet... I'm going to try to finish everything else first. The metal I used can be dented easily with a pen, so I'm going to cheat and make the pieces that way. ;)

6. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    Oh I see. That's cool. I'm gonna be crazy and attempt the separate peices. I won't start on that though until I'm dont with everything else. I'll tell ya how it works out when I'm done.

~Tally

7. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    I've decided to use expandable pvc instead of the aluminum flashing. I'v painted it with a mettalic silver. It looks really good so far. I just have to put the pieces in some elastic bands, then I'll be done!

~Tally

8. senator__padme

Jul 7, 2005
    Oo take pictures when you're done--I can't wait to see them. :)

And is that a Boondock Saints quote in your signature?? ;)

9. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    Heck yea it's Boondock Saints. They're my heros...*sighs* I'm so happy you noticed.

I'll post my pix soon. I should finish them up 2morrow!

~Tally

10. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005
    help!

how do you make those shin guards?

11. senator__padme

Jul 7, 2005
    For mine, I used craft foam. Iycis suggested that, actually. But I got two pieces of 8.5 x 11" foam that was sticky on the back, and two pieces of (I believe) 9 X 12 foam that wasn't. I'm not sure on the actual dimensions of the bigger piece.. it's just bigger than the other ones. [face_blush]

I used a manila envelope to make the template.. I actually cut the bottom off of it and stuck my leg through to see how tall I wanted it to be. Then I drew the design on it. Once I had the template done, I cut the bigger piece in the shape of the shinguard itself, and cut the small piece to go with the template--that is, I did all the cut-outs here. Then I spray painted them and stuck the top piece to the bottom piece.

I used what I can best describe as "webbing" for the straps.. it's like the stuff they use on backpack straps. I glued the bigger pieces of webbing on the top and bottom, and then cut holes in the big shinguard (after the whole thing was stuck together) to weave the smaller pieces through. They velcro together with industrial strength velcro, but I'd suggest using something stronger than the adhesive (like sewing them on there), because my velcro is starting to come off on the edges.

I hope that helps. The foam held up pretty well the first time I wore them.. I wore them for almost two days straight and they're still going strong. It was a cheap way to do it, too.. I think I figured that each shinguard (minus paint) cost between $2-$4 each. I'm hoping to make sturdier ones soon, not because I'm not happy with mine, but because I don't want them to fall apart. It was actually a whole lot easier than I thought it would be to make these.. the only thing I didn't make were the leg-warmer things that go underneath--her boots aren't knee-high so they added fabric around her leg to make it look like they are. ;)

12. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    Yay! I finished my arm bands. (Well for now). I'm prolly gonna fix them up later on down the road. I really want to make them out of metal. But this is what I have for now:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/armband2.jpg
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/armband1.jpg

~Tally

13. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    armbands look awesome thats the one thing i still want to redo on mine, whats expandible pvc?

my friend made my shinguards out of sintra, it wasn't that expensive, just $30 for the sheet of sintra. i have pics of them and the templates just ignore the boromir pics :p

14. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005
    thank you :) senator__padme & liannb

15. senator__padme

Jul 7, 2005
    Tally, your armbands look great! :D

I hope to make a more permanent version of the shinguards soon.. maybe just use sintra as the base and keep the foam on top. I haven't really thought that through yet. ^_^ Gotta worry about redoing everything else first...

16. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    Thanx guys...they took me forever to do (especially since I'm working all the time).

liannb: Sintra is just the brand name for the material called expandable PVC, so it's the same as those shin guards. Which, by the way, look amazing. Your friend did an excellent job!

~Tally

17. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    thanks, it was a lot of work.

18. senator__padme

Jul 7, 2005
    I just looked at the pictures today (I'm on dial-up at home.. grr,) and those look AMAZING. =D=

19. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    Yay I'm done!!!!! Well, almost. I still need to dye the boots to match the belt, make a hair peice and iron the pants....but here ya go!!! It was my first time sewing..so be gentle please!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/battle2.jpg
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/battleback.jpg
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/battle1.jpg
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/battleaction2.jpg

P.S. ignore the henna...I work at universal and that's my job.
    ~Tally

20. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    great job :)

21. senator__padme

Jul 7, 2005
    Good job! Did you use a pattern for the shirt? Last weekend I got fabric for my new shirt and I hope to start sewing on it soon..

22. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    I used the simplicity pattern that's made for this costume...but I had to modefy it. I wanted mine to have every seam just like her's and the pattern has it different. I'm glad you like it:)

23. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Wouldn't it be great if someone get really close to this outfit as to see things not seen easily from the movie or photos or display? :D :D

Darn! I need a PC and Internet Access again to see *them*........

24. Queen-of-Naboo

Queen-of-Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Jul 21, 2006

Umm....I dunno if that's supposed to be a perverted remark or not. If not...I used the book Dressing the Galaxy to see the seams so that I could make all of my seams just like hers.

25. Lelundrial

Lelundrial Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2004
    Ok I want to do this outfit. I managed to get the simplicity pattern. I know the fabric is white, and the boots are grey. I have seen places that sell them, so not worried about getting boots. I am battling with a battleaxe over the cape fabric. I am doing this one before it gets ripped. So I am including that. She went out and bought this fabric that does not come even close to what it needs to be. Didn't do it with my approval. I know on padawansguide.com someone used a table runner. Any other suggestions on fabric? I had found a terry cloth type fabric that actually looked really close to the real one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.