main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme AOTC Battle Outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZDaizy

AZDaizy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2002
    Nice job SB! :D

2. Miriamidala

Miriamidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2000
    Okay, got the boots painted, and I got the gun painted, and I made my belt and the holsters. I am on my way to making the cape, but I really wanted to dye the fabric a little bit darker off-white first. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do that, and with what?

I am still stuck on the shirt, but I am thinking of going to a gymnastics place and looking at leotards with mock necks. I saw some online and I think they might work well.

My pants are perfect, and I tried them on with the boots today, and it is actually starting to look like a costume! YAY!

Now I have to get crackin' on my fiance's Anakin costume! AHHHHHH!

3. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Well... One of my Padme AOTC shinguards are done. I still have to Spray paint it and add all the straps. This one took so much time. I hope I can make the other one okay. Up close you can see the flaws in person, but I doubt anyone will come look that close. They also probably aren't 100% dead on to the movie, but I think it's as close as I'll get at this point. lemme know what you think.

Ryan

[image=http://www.seattlestarwars.com/~toywars/PADME_RWC.jpg]

4. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Okay, this is a question posted too late cause I already cut the fabric for my cape; what shape is the cape when laid flat on the floor? I notice that it hangs just nice on her shoulder yet one tip of the cape is long enough to overhang over one shoulder. And the bottom doesn't look square to me, more like circular. ?[face_plain]

On my side, I've done my shin guard using Rigid Wrap and discovered something about the real shape of my shins. :p Painted it over with 2 layers of paint (lily color?) and now gonna poke in some holes to let the elastic band be sew to it and then to cover all the ugly gauze look with lots and lots of masking tape on top of foam tape. Think it will do. And I must really get a more tighter pants this weekend. Will post some pictures when it's done! ;)

And I did see the soccer shin guard that most resembled the original. But it's covers only 1/3 the shin and got only one hole to let the band goes through. Worse of all, too small for my shin! :_|

5. AZDaizy

Apr 30, 2002
    Wow niennumb1, that looks really acurate! How did you do it? I'm just taking this plain old shinguard, painting it a cream color, and attaching it with leather straps. It's not very accurate, but I don't really care...I'm lazy! :p

6. Miriamidala

Miriamidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2000
    That is what I am doing for the shinguards too, with a little modification. I cannot believe how perfect the pants I found are!

And the shirt, I FINALLY found, all I have to do is do the extra stitching for the collar, the design there, and the bodice looking thing.

My fiance is making me the armbands, and he is also making me a lightsaber, just for the heck of it. He has to make 3 other lightsabers, so I told him to make me one.

My gun is finished and my boots are painted. The only things I have left is to sew the cape (still not sure how to do that) and to make the belt and holsters, which I already have the stuff to do.

Amazingly, and fortunately, I have lost some weight! I noticed last night when I put the costume on....And my hair will be just fine to use as it is, because my hair is long and naturally curly like Natalie's. I just have to straighten it, like she did, and do those coils.

So far so good.

7. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    AZDaizy, thanks for your comments!

This piece was actually made from a 4" PVC pipe and used a Rotary tool to carefully gut out the plastic (I came VERY VERY close to breaking through a couple spots). It's very time consuming to cut out those areas as well as trim down the thickness of the plastic to get that middle part to stand out among the rest of the shinguard, then of course as I said those parts not cut all the way through are a bit tricky, but not extremely difficult.
    Lastly after it was all custom fitted for my finace, I went back to widen and narrow the two ends so it didn't have that pipe look by using a heat gun to get it soft enought to widen the calf area a bit as well as narrow down the pipe near the ankle. Hopefully with the paint job some of the rough areas won't show, but all in all it wasn't bad for not doing a test one.

I just got done with the cape yesterday too. I made it from Chenille (beautiful texture and feel). The top is about done with the exception of the underarms getting some wrinkling (but not too hideous) and that was swimwear fabric (stretches well). The belt and boots are in construction now as well as the metal arm bands. I hope to be done by the end of the weekend and I'll have pix posted when it's all done.

8. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Those look great. We saw someone at CII with a great pair of shin guards she did out of vinyl-I think that is how I will do them, mabe backed my cardboard or plastic(sintra?)

9. AZDaizy

Apr 30, 2002
    Wow...that sounds like a lot of work. That's very sweet of you to make all this for your fiance!

I just got the cape sewed (chenille material)...but I'm afraid I made the neck hole too big :( It almost slides off my shoulders. Oh well.

~Ali

10. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    You gals cut a hole near the top of the cape? ?[face_plain] So how are you gonna try to duplicate the one tip of the fabric over the right shoulder look?

Just checking. :)

11. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Seeing AOTC for the second time tonight make me think the cape is almost T-Shape. She just push her hand under the top tips of the cape and swing both ends over her shoulders. So you all think so? :D

12. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Just few notes:
    The top and pants are made of a different material, they may look the same colour in some pics, but that's usually a relic of the scanning and printing process.
    They may also look the same colour IRL, but different fabrics react to different lights.. um.. differently;). So that under say Tungsten lights one can look more yellow etc.. Just saying the colours may or may not be the same, but the fabrics are different. in the huge close up with Anakin youc an even see the texture of the two fabrics.

I would *not* wear white under a white garment. You need to wear a colour close to your own skin shade. Other wise the contrast between you skin colour and the white will show up. If you are pale like me then a typical "flesh" colour will be too dark too....
    And in fact on stage some people wear *black* under a white blouse or top. As white would reflect the light back while the black absorbs it. I wouldn't suggest this under Padme's outfit as the needs are different.

Oh, I have a wedding dress (vintage) with the exact same seams as on the sleeve shoulders. And the pants look very much like they are based on riding pants with the seams going down the fronts of each leg.

13. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    I'M ALMOST DONE!!!!! i still have to hem the top since it goes down to her thighs (as you can see in a couple of the pics) as well as a few other fixins, but it's about done! Tell me what you think! I'm so thrilled how well it came out!!! WOO HOO!!!!!

[image=http://www.seattlestarwars.com/~toywars/KATIE_AOTC1.jpg]

[image=http://www.seattlestarwars.com/~toywars/KATIE_AOTC2.jpg]

[image=http://www.seattlestarwars.com/~toywars/KATIE_AOTC3.jpg]

[image=http://www.seattlestarwars.com/~toywars/KATIE_AOTC4.jpg]

[image=http://www.seattlestarwars.com/~toywars/KATIE_AOTC5.jpg]

[image=http://www.seattlestarwars.com/~toywars/KATIE_AOTC6.jpg]

[image=http://www.seattlestarwars.com/~toywars/KATIE_AOTC7.jpg]

14. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Something goofed here. Sorry. There's a dupe post.

15. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Oops! Double posted. Sorry.

16. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Great work, niennumb1!
    It looks fabuloso!

-sg

17. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    As far as Padme's blaster goes...is there a toy blaster that is similar?
  18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Yes, it does look great! :)

Frankly, I envy you guys who managed to do a great job on the shinguards. Mine too simple. :p

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Isn't it TPM Battle Droid Blaster Rifle (the toy)? I'm using it too for my Padme Costume and starting to become the envy of everyone at the cinema the other day! :p

20. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Riding breeches or jods would not work for Padme's pants. First of all, riding breeches don't usually have seams down the front of them. I have about 12 pairs, all with side seams, like normal pants! [face_clown]

[image=http://www.statelinetack.com/images/large/lg_in652101.jpg]

But they also have suede or fabric knee patches that would completely spoil the line of the pants in this costume. The waistline is wrong too. Breeches have a higher waistline, to compensate for the bent legs and sitting position you have while riding. Padme's waistline is much lower.

I would stick with yoga pants or plain white stretch pants. They are going to carry the effect much better.

21. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    I actually cheated a bit and used a Jango pistol to keep in the holster on the right side. I sprayed out the orange tip of the droid blaster for her to have too. She wanted both guns... Can't complain with that! Everything was sewn from scratch though. the only things that were store bought are the guns and of course I had to buy shoes and put leather/vinyl over it to make a boot from.

It's crunch time today though. Gotta apply the permanent velcro and make those hems and finish my Anakin Costume today (which I put less work into than this Padme costume). I'm going to the 12:01 show and won't have any time to work on it tomorrow.

22. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Wow niennumb1 your costume is fantastic!! Wonderful job! eek! The shingaurds and everything!

*ahem*

You ah... wouldn't mind... giving me (the costume-making incompotent one) step by step instructions??? :D :D :D Would you??? :D

No really, excellent job! This isn't your 1st costume is it?

-~Dormé~-

ps. Maybe it's just me, but you remind/look a bit like Zam Wessel I think! :) :)

23. AZDaizy

Apr 30, 2002
    Wow...that costume is really great!

I'm done with my costume too...and I *WAS* going to post pics...but I don't think I will now...because it will look shameful next to yours :(

24. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I know one of my friends had a perfect pair to take a pattern from, not the pants themselves as they are black ;)
    I was thinking of a specific pair that of course I cannot find anything about ;)They were probably "parade around so eveyone knows I ride" rather than actual "get on the horse and ride" pants. They were nice and firm fitting pull-ons.. exactly the pattern seen in that great close up.

Ayway, I did find this page:
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/seanderson/patterns/leggings.htm
    Which I thought might be helpful for people looking at adapting a pattern.
    In the site is also a key to making raglan sleeves:
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/seanderson/patterns/molly.htm
    Which you can also add to a body to make seams like in the battle costume.

It's a really good site, and an introduction to drafting patterns from a block. Funnily enough the iprimus website hosts the Aussie Big brother pages ;) As well as how to work with stretch fabrics.

Doh, almost forgot: most excellent costume niennumb1 :)

25. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Great job niennumb1! Everything looks absolutely wonderful :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.