Padme Amidala Padme AOTC Battle Outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    That outfit turned out fantastic! That is a bad a$$ looking gun too!
  2. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    The hard thing was not having my fiance there the whole time while I was sewing the darn thing. The top was quite difficult. I know the proportions in size to the movie shirt aren't 100%, but it's not bad for playing a guessing game with the whole thing. I could give you guys the brands and the pattern numbers for what I used, but the top details are not easy. I did one top with lycra and failed misearbly. I decided it was best to use white swimsuit material (which is expensive in excess of $15/yard) and worked MUCH better. The cape was originally a waffle fabric, but didn't have that little bit of nap that it needed like the movie one, so the closest thing I could find was chenille (about $12 a yard).

The cuffs were made from a silver quart paint bucket that runs about $1.79 at any Lowe's hardware. They wee then cut with a rotary tool using duck tape as the template for the 2-inch width around. To dull the edges I used some very fine sandpaper and then used some hook velcro inside a piece of each cuff to cause the cuff to grab onto the swimsuit fabric to prevent slipping down the arm. Then the cuffs are hidden velcro which is overlapping itself shut to size for the arm (if that makes sense)

The shin guards (I think I mentioned before) made from 4" PVC pipe that was cut with a rotary tool and then widened at the top and narrowed at the bottom with a heatgun to fit the leg.

The boots are made from a pair of fairly cheap shoes from Payless shoes and then was covered with white marine vinyl (superglued) and then brought up part way. The entire part the shinguard rests on is a seperate section of vinyl pieces and then that is held together with superglued velcro as well as all the straps that hold the shinguard on (a bit complex to explain).

The belt is also made from the marine vinyl (you can buy this stuff for about 6.99 a yard at any fabric store) and the holster was sewn to fit the Jango Fett pistol, since the pistol in the holster is more for show than actually using it (she's got the battle droid blaster for that!)

I dunno how good I would be making a tutorial. This isn't exactly the easiest costume to illustrate how-to's... But i could do my best!

Thanks for all the wondeful comments!

I'd like to see everyone else's home-made costumes! You guys have all done a great job so far that I've seen!
  3. Karma Jedi Knight

star 3
    Shin Guards-
    What brands of shin guards have you all been using? The ones at my local Kmart and Wal-Mart don't look anything close to the ones in the pictures. (i know they need work but none look like they'd be work-able).
    Thanks

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I made my own shinguards out of 2-3 layers of Rigid Wrap (ya, it's very thin but I'm trying to cut cost! :p ), Foam Tapes, Masking Tape and some elastic bands. No choice cause I got big and disproportioned shins. Result look okay from afar but terrible when near. :(

There's is another cheap commercial soccer shinguard I gotten that is totally plastic with a foam layer. It only got 1 hole for the strap but think will do for a kid. Could this be similar to what some are using here?
  5. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    You can't buy just regular soccer shin guards [face_clown]

Try going to a sports equipment or hockey store. You need Hockey shin guards. They come in the right color and look a lot like Padme's. They also can be boiled and shaped exactly to fit your legs.
  6. Karma Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks, can you supply the brand name?

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Karma, I think you better try to have a look at your local sports shop, K-Mart etc first cause not all stores have the same item. :)
  8. pivy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey, I saw this question asked earlier but I never saw an answer to it; please forgive me for asking again:
    What exactly (say, if you laid it out on the floor) shape is the white cape/cloak? Between the various pics and the way she seems to put it on in the movie vs. the way it actually hangs on her, I can't for the life of me figure it out. I mean, I could make something resembling it close enough to give the impression, but curiosity has got the best of me here...
  9. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Me want to know too! :)

From what I see on how she put it one, it looks like almost t-shape. But I'm not sure if that will give the correct look. (PS: I just use a rectangular piece of cloth so the tips wasn't long enough to go on the shoulder and my neck get buried under the top of the cape! :eek: )
  10. Karma Jedi Knight

star 3
    One more questions!
    1) Is the detailing (across the bust and below the neck) on Padme's shirt embroidery? Or just stitching? Is it some kind of trim that is sewn or glued on? Do you think fabric tape work if I stitched over it to give it the raised look?

And one suggestion:
    1) on gap.com there is a long sleeve stretch tee shirt under the "clearance/sale" section that could work if you get it in white. Just thought I'd mention it!

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    It doesn't look like embroidery to me in the pictures but you can do it if you got the sewing machine that can do that. ;)

What I did was what someone here recommanded, using Cotton Bias Tape. As I was in a hurry, I just put on double sided tape and paste it on. The outer rim is made up of the full Bias Tape while the inner ones (Under her neck) are half of the Bias tape. The result looks okay from afar and in pictures.

And I used a locally made Mock Turtle Neck T-Shirt, one of those rejected ones going for 3 FOR $10! :D
  12. Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    After seeing the film twice, it is not embroidery, I thought it might be too. It looks like they made actual seams and folded them over and stitched them down, so you get the rib look, same for the tops of the sleeves.
  13. AZDaizy Jedi Knight

star 2
    For the cape...I made it oval-shaped, and the neck hole not in the middle but more near the edge. It worked out fine...and I was able to throw the fabic in the front around my shoulders to look like how she has it in the pictures.
  14. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    For a cape shape, I was thinking more along the lines of a really distorted half-circle. If you look at the back in the movie (a good shot is when they are standing at the gavesite) you can see the points of the cape wrapping around and hanging down past her shoulders. I am seeing the movie again tomorrow, so I'll try and get an exact length then.

Here are some cape reference pics:
    [image=http://thenextamidala.com/costumes/jumpsuite/grab_padm%e9.jpg]
    [image=http://padawansguide.com/padme/white/promo5_padme.jpg]

Also, for whoever it was that said she had a hat or something: I think in the movie I noticed that she actually does have a hat in her hand! I am looking for a pic of the scene to back this up....

EDIT: Here is a pic that shows the length of the "points" (ends of the cape, thrown over her shoulder).
    [image=http://64.227.26.45/Grilled-Sarlacc/c/padme/g-34.jpg]
  15. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Lost my Edit window!

Here is the picture where Padme is holding a hat:
    [image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/funeral.jpg]

I was wrong [face_clown]
    She does have a hat!

Edit: I am picture crazy tonight.....
    [image=http://thenextamidala.com/Bilder/concept_sketches/Pdesign_white_front.jpg]
    here is a concept drawing of the hat

[image=http://thenextamidala.com/Bilder/concept_sketches/Pdesign_doublewhite.jpg]
    concept drawing with great sketches of the boots
  16. Karma Jedi Knight

star 3
    I found an interesting site:
    http://www.danceboutique.com/newpage23.htm
    that has some unitards that could be worth looking into. Only one problem, most tutlenecked stuff they have is zipper-back, not pull overs.

star 4
    I see the hat in the pic, but I don't think she ever wears it in the film. Am I wrong on this? I kinda like the look of the hat.
  18. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL bring your notebook and pen to the movie tonight Jenn! I know I will! [face_clown]
  19. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    Definitely will be bringing a notebook and pen tonight Dana :D
  20. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    So what's the vedicts? Got hat or not?

I think my next viewing will be this Sunday June 2nd so can't say much more. :p
  21. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    She does have a hat in her hand, but she never wears it. She's holding it when they are at the grave site, and you see it really good when she says "Artoo, what are you doin here?"

I wonder if they cut out any scenes where she's wearing it...? Not likely, but curious. Why make the hat and never use it??
  22. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    They made two costumes and not put them in the film, why not make a hat and just don't use it at all? :p
  23. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have a cape/shawl that drapes very similarly to Padme's. (Just realized this after watching the movie Saturday.) When laid out flat it looks a lot like this:

[image=http://www.karmic-retribution.net/bluecastle/possible-cape-pattern.jpg]

It could be the way TB constructed Padme's, it could not be. The fact that it looks like the top edge is straight when she pulls it off the hook confuzzles me.
  24. Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Master

star 4
    Could anybody help me out with the shin guards?
  25. pivy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for posting that diagram, I really appreciate it.

That's similar to how I've puzzled it out to be. the part that kept throwing me for a loop was that she looked like she was sliding her arms into the cape (almost like it had sleeves) one minute, and then the next minute it looks like it's totally backwards from that! But with long enough tails (?? what would the correct term be??), they could wrap around the neck giving the impression of the backwards-wearing thing and still have the bulk of the cape hanging down in back.
    (I confess, I had to look at every frikken' cape/cloak/shawl.wrap.etc. pattern in the store topuzzle out how this thing worked! :))
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.