main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme AOTC Battle Outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Can anyone get hold of and examine the new Rubies costume? :D

I saw it in the catalog yesterday (when I ordered my Padme Gun & Holster) that the Cape may had been made similar shape to that of the original. Pity they will not come to Singapore till Sept and way not worth it to buy either (SGD100 for the Jedi Outer Robe? I can get an accurate one done for a price less than that!)

2. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Stormtrooper princess the diagram you posted is very similar to what I had in mind. Here is what I was thinking:

~First of all, the back (top of your diagram) would have to come to some sort of very soft point, rather than just being rounded.

~Next, I would make the sides straighter, rather than rounded. It is very evident in the movies that they come to a distinct point.

Maybe you could cross the circular pattern with a "triangular" pattern to come up with a "hybrid" (the biology major in me surfaces...) pattern that would work. I know that probably doesn't make sense. I have a picture of what I'm talking about, but unfortunatly no way to host it on the web....If I can figure something out I'll post it for everyone to see.

3. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL, Mrs_MayimNaar, that was what I was thinking too! Making the side straight like Oblong(?). But I'll try it first on my Maul (PADME BUDDIES: Don't!! Try on Barbie instead ;) )

Anyway, it seems I can't get any more of the fabric I used to make the cape (Honeycomb Spandex-Cotton Mix). Some spa bought all of it cause it was blanket-like. Alternative seems to be a thinner version of it but that'll means I have to do it as double layers. Unless I use the Waffle Pattern instead (didn't somebody use this fabric too?)

Did anyone get any fabric 95% same to the original? :D

4. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    At Celebration, someone did a very nice job on the shin guards using vinyl. Looked great! You could use sintra as the under part and attach the vinyl on top of it, should workout just fine.

5. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Any alternative to the base other than Sintra and ABS? Me have no hardware tools to drill. Friendly Plastic doesn't seems to be here either. :(

And I think by the end of this AOTC Contest Fever, me need to make new shinguards, something more solid.

6. _Padme_

_Padme_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    Hi, I just wanted to show you the pics of my costume. I know it isn't very similar to Padme's... let's say it's inspired from Padme's outfit :p
    I didn't sew anything, both the trousers and the T-shirt are bought. The armbands are made out of card covered of silver paper.

Here are my pics:

[image=http://www.tinet.org/~ann/AOTC_Opening.jpg]

[image=http://www.tinet.org/~ann/AOTC_Opening2.jpg]

7. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    _Padme_, yours looks okay to me to the normal fans' eyes. ;)

And since I can guess some of you guys are starting to ask "where in the world did DE hide her pixs?", mine (which is still evolving to Ver. 1.4 :p ) is at my Y!Photo Album under "Many Faces Of Darth Eagle", photos labelled 020510_1 onwards (ignore the earlier ones cause they are mostly HORRIBLE ;) )

Am redoing the belt and pouches now, and trying to get a more tight fitted White Pants that doesn't have the lines on them like the current one is. :( And maybe figure out how I can redo the Shin Guards too.

8. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Since Mrs. M doesn't have webspace available to host her cape design, I threw it up on my server. Here it is:

[image=http://home.earthlink.net/~schaulkr/temp/battlecape.jpg]

9. Angry_Princess

Angry_Princess Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    WHITE BOOTS!

Somebody suggested white color guard boots for this costume. I can't believe that this didn't occur to me before.
    I searched the net for marching band supply companies and found some links to knee high white boots:

MarchingWorld.Com

Band Shoppe

Ictus Limited

Oreficeltd.com

Generally the boots range from about $35-$40
    I found other sites but they pretty much all have the same Nancy style boot. I think Oreficeltd.com and Band Shoppe have the best prices, if I remember right. There may be a small fee (like $2) at some sites if you don't order a certain quantity. These would also be great for anything you needed white gogo boots for. ;)

10. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    The marching band websites are great! Thanks!

I took a look at Oreficeltd.com and they also have a great selection of bodysuits, including one that could be used for the top of this costume. It's the white one with mock turtleneck and straight sleeves. Just an idea...

11. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Thank you Kirsten! I really appreciate it! It's the most frustrating thing in the world to have an image in your mind, with no way to share it with everyone else!

That is just a rough idea of what I had in mind....not perfect! [face_clown]

12. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Could the design be more slim like?

Hmm, how much fabric did you all use in term to your height? (Me about 1.25metre width of 50" cloth? for my 1.54m height)

And this is an urgent question: What's the width of the belt everyone used? I think 1.5" but could that be too wide?

13. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    Iycis and I went shopping on Fabric Row today and found the greatest soft creamy wool boucle fabric for the cape. I struck a deal with the guy in the shop and bought the remainder of the bolt for a really good price so we both got our cape fabric!

Fabric Row (S. 4th Street in Phila.) has the most amazing selection of fabrics you could find. It's just store after store of all kinds of textiles for upholstery, clothing, bridal, anything you could think of to make. Iycis is making the Battle Outfit now and I'm going to make it later on in the summer.

If any of you are looking for special fabrics you can't find online you can try looking up fabric stores on Yahoo Yellow Pages for Philadelphia and call them! Use the street address for reference: S. 4th Street.

:)
    Calixte

14. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for posting so much helpful info. Hopefully I'll soon be able to post some pics of my outfit if it works out well.

15. Angry_Princess

May 26, 2002
    I actually ordered some boots from marchingworld.com. :) They should come in any day now. I've been wanting a pair of white go go boots for some time, and I think these will work well for this costume too, so I don't feel too guilty forking out the money.

I'm thinking of making my arm bands with a foam sheet from wal-mart (only $0.33 a sheet) covered with aluminum tape. I think it will work and look good too. :)

16. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    Actually, I'm making it too. I have the shirt, and I'll probably just buy some white pants when I find ones that I think fit the costume enough. But I don't know about the silver arm bands, and what about the cape thing? And the pouches around her waist?

17. AZDaizy

AZDaizy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2002
  18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    AZDaizy, those are wonderful pics! Did they, by chance, have any of her other AOTC costumes there?

19. AZDaizy

AZDaizy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2002
    Oh yes, they have tons of pics...here's the site: Voila

There are so many I couldn't go through and find which ones are the costumes, because there are a lot of model pics in there too. Enjoy!

20. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I just love her costumes!!!

How cool are those pouches? They aren't just simple pouches, they are like "wavy."

Gotta love Padme -- even her blet pouches are designer.

21. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    But I wonder . . . how do you use scuply to make workable pouches when that stuff is clay like? ?[face_plain] I have little experience using clay anyway and local people here (those Anime/Manga cosplayers [face_plain] ) say this stuffs crack easily etc etc.

22. Padme-Ami-Skywalker

Padme-Ami-Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2002
    Hey!--
    Hows* everyone*s projects coming along??? I am just starting mine-- I know I'm REALLY LATE, but I was trying to decide which costume of Padme from AOTC I wanted to do... I wanted something basic, but not ordinary. I had to choose between the two Tatooine dresses, and the battle costume. I choose this ONE! It's just too cool! I am really short (5'2) :_| and real petite, so I wanted something that would flatter!

I am making it from SCRATCH-- BUT I am not going to do any of the sewing-- HOPEFULLY. I often go to a local seamstress, who has offered me on numerous occasions to make me something (from scratch), so I am going to buy the materials, print out pictures of the costume, and tell her "OMG, I LOVE U! THANK YOU SO MUCH!". The belt and holster ($12.95) I will buy from Annie's Costumes. The Gun from Annies's also. The price that I have come up with (on average) is around $80-$90 as of right now. It depends. I am sort of a perfectionist-- that's why I am not SEWING it. I am all about quality and I will try not to exceed $200.00-- which is crazy enough! Wish me LUCK-- I have seen some pictures of you guys costumes, and they ARE AWSOME!!! You should be proud!!!!
    --P.A. Sky-- [face_love]

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Oh don't worry, Padme-Ami-Skywalker! :) Technically, I'm done with this costume for now till I get the Rubies' Belt, Holster, Pistol and Pouches set around this Sept or later. :( Just too many question are still unanswered especially the belt, pouches and holster measurements. And when I'm gonna do this costume again, I'm doing it from scratch too using Cotton Lycra for both the shirt and maybe pants (tentatively using Poly-Cotton Lycra). Shin Guards, still not much idea as my shins are still not in the state to do a standard shape one. :p But I must get this costume and others done completely by end of the year as next year onwards is Wesell (and Jango for my friend) year.

Hmm, could you be as short as I am? I'm around 1.52++metres but my Padme "Clone" is even more shorter than me.

And if I'm not mistaken, the Rubies Holster & Belt comes with the Pistol; that was what the catalog said and later was verify by a fellow costumers that the pouches are also included.

So what fabric are you gonna use for the costume? Just curious. :D

Well, good luck to you in this Padme project!

24. Padme-Ami-Skywalker

Padme-Ami-Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2002
    Darth_Eagle,
    I am using a lycra cotton blend. It's sort of fuzzy and thick. For the pants I am using material that resembles the material used on baseball uniform pants and other sport uniform pants. Thick, and also light. It moves well, feels spectacular, and matches the description. I have two problems.

1) Is the costume all one color?

Because In some production photos the top is off white a bone color ,and the pants are white. And in others the costume is all white. ??????

2) Do you know of any patterns for the top? I am concluding that I might have to draw my own. Eeekkk!!!

Once I get the pattern deal out of the way I can start! I found all of my material, and they are pretty darn accurate! The Shawl material is the most difficult to match. I found a material very close in resemblence to the actual material. Is it just me, or does the shawl sort of look like a blanket or furniture material? I have been debating with my mom about this! She is telling me it's more of a sweater knit. I say a blanket knit. Tell me what you think?

25. Angry_Princess

May 26, 2002
    Does anybody know when the Rubie's belt and holster will be available?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.