main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Blue Tatooine Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lelila, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Forgive me if this is covered in another thread - if so I couldn't find it.

I'm starting to make the embroidered blue Tatooine dress from Episode II (the one with a big embroidered circle pattern on the front). For the kimono-style part of it we're using blue freece inside out, which looks a lot like the weave fabric they appeared to use. For the dress underneath we're trying to find some 'crinkle' material or Indian cotton but I don't think it's available yet, being more of a spring fabric.

We don't have a pattern at all for the top part - we're going to try and modify the pattern from when I did ANH princess Leia and just make the sleeves longer, the bottom shorter, etc.

Is anyone else making this costume? I'd love any advice from anyone - especially on how to handle the embroidery - I was going to use embroidery floss and do it by hand.

Thanks
    Lelila

Also, this is a great site for finding pictures of costumes - go straight to the costume and gallery sections or you might run into spoilers!

http://padmeskywalker.cjb.net

S_S edit: just unlocking :)

2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    padmeskywalker.net has the most extensive collection of EP II pictures I have seen anywhere.

3. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Yep! We've actually been talking about this dress in the 2002 Projects thread - but that's okay. :) It probably deserves it's own thread.

I actually found a good pattern for the top of the under-dress today. It's Simplicity #8741. It has a drawstring neck with a small loop in the front, but that will be easy to modify. What I liked about it is that I can just insert elastic instead of a drawstring and push it off the shoulder. ^.^ The skirt will be a basic two-piece (front and back) straight skirt. Doing it that way just seems easier than trying to do a full dress for me.

Only problem - no crinkly blue fabric. I'm still searching and waiting too, although Obi-Dawn found a nice challis fabric online - check the other thread for the link.

I think I'm just going to be drafting a pattern for the "poncho" part freehand. I've never seen anything (pattern-wise) that looks remotely similar to it, and it really doesn't look that hard to do. The designs will probably be painted on instead of embroidered.

Hope some of that helps!
    kreleia ^.^

4. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I spent the night at padmeskywalker.net last night. I love that site.
    I am looking forward to some more new detailed pictures of some of the other Amidala costumes from the official site.

5. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Thanks krei, I'll take a look at that for sure! And thanks for confirming the lack of poncho pattern. If we can't find the crinkly blue my mom claims that Indian stores sell a lot of dresses of that fabric in the spring, so worst comes to worse we'll do that and get something that is a similar colour and modify it. Nostra, I looked and it's actually the same site - I saw your interview on it too :D

6. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    What about the fabric that western broom stick skirts are made of?

7. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, that's pretty much what we're looking for Princess1. :) But it's really hard to find, at the moment. Unfortunately, you can't just wad some rayon around a broomstick and hope it comes out looking that way. It has to come from the factory pre-wrinkled to work right. **sigh**

Thanks for the tip!
    kreleia ^.^

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey guys! I'm almost done making this costume and I am so excited (and surprised) by how great it's looking! I used crinkle gauze for the under dress. I washed and dried it before sewing it and it seemed to get more wrinkly after doing that. :D
    Just thought I'd let you know which patterns I used for all this:
    For the 'poncho' part I heavily modified Simplicity pattern #7026 view C.
    And for the dress I used Simplicity 7964 view C which I lengthened.
    I chose a stiff cotton fabric for the poncho because I painted most of the design on it and wanted a smooth surface. I am currently embroidering all the white parts of the design (it looks so cool! :D ) and plan on outlining as much of the colored paints with matching embroidery thread to help give it texture. The paints I used were basic acrylics and the embroidery thread is simple 'DMC' thread. I will attach the ribbons on the bottom last and tie some beads onto them as well.
    The embroidery is very time consuming, but I really like how it looks. :)

If anyone is interested this is the link to where I ordered the crinkle gauze. It is actually darker than it looks on the website and I'm really happy with it.

crinkle gauze

9. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Obi-Dawn, get pics up as soon as you can!! I'm *dying* to see this!! :)

BTW, you mentioned that you were using a heavier fabric on the "poncho" part - what fabric is it again? (I know you said on the other thread, but let's put it here for quickie reference, too.) I'm gonna go look at those patterns too...

kreleia ^.^

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    kreleia, I think it's called 'trigger'. It's really pretty stiff, but the color is right and painting on it was a breeze. It definitely holds its shape! It's not perfect, but it definitely does the job! Woo! Hoo!

As for pictures, I'll see what I can do. As of right now I don't have a website to host the pic. I'll check into though. ;)

Well, I'm off to continue embroidering....

11. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Wow ! I can't wait to see it too!

I started on the next Amidala/Padme costume gold/maroon costume today. Hopefully I will get more done on it tomorrow. This one will take a while.

12. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Trigger poplin!!! Of COURSE!!! **smacks forehead** HELLO!! Well, kreleia, get thee to the fabric store! I can't believe it never occured to me. **laugh** That's actually a really good choice! The body is nice and stiff, and the weave is coarse... yes, yes, I'm going to have to go look at trigger poplin now. :)

Thanks again Obi-Dawn!!

kreleia ^.^

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I've finished ALL the white embroidery! I also got one sleeve lined and will do the next one today. I got a bit frustrated because I realized my sleeves aren't quite as big in diameter as the real costume. Oh well. BAH! [face_plain] [face_mischief]
    I took yesterday off from it to give myself a break. I can get back into it today nice and refreshed!

14. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Obi-Dawn or anyone else I'd really really appreciate some help :D

Pattern is done but we're confused about how the back should go since I've never found any pictures of it. Has anyone come across anything?

Should the neckline be high and round, or lower and round or sort of triangular-ish?

Also we can't figure out if the bottom of the back keeps angling downwards into a point or if it's rounder and flatter.

Help us guys! You're our only hope!

15. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Okay, is anyone else having as much trouble finding the blue crinkle fabric as I am? I have looked EVERYWHERE!! I've even asked about special-ordering, and still no luck. :( I really like the challis fabric that Obi-Dawn used, so I *may* end up going with that if I just cannot find anything closer. But I'd really like to get as close as I possibly can.

If anyone has been able to find this particular fabric online or at a national-chain fabric store, please let me know!!

kreleia ^.^

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi everyone :)

Lelila, I haven't seen a picture of the back of the costume either, so I just made the back of the neckline high and rounded. I also made the back of the hemline rounded. I suppose I'll find out if I was right or not in the coming months! :D

17. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Here are some pictures that show detail of the embroidery:
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/blue/padme_blue_official_sleeve.jpg]

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/blue/padme_blue_official_circle.jpg]

18. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    I posted about this on the Amidala costume thread, but found this thread specifically about this dress here. I have a couple ideas for the underdress, but I'm not sure if they'll work. Have any of you heard of a "broomstick skirt?" They're popular in the southwest, and they're made using either cotton or silk, then drying the wet skirt inside a tube to get a lengthwise crinkle effect. I haven't been able to find crepon or other crinkle fabrics around here that would work, so I was thinking about trying a broomstick effect. What do you think? And how much extra fabric should I use on the skirt?

As for the top, I thought I'd just make an inlay (is that the right word?) on the "poncho" part instead of making a full dress. That would also help the shoulders from falling down.

I'm going to go look for fabrics again this afternoon. I'll definitely check out that trigger poplin!

-Kirsten

19. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    The broomstick skirts would work except for a couple of things:

a) the waistline may be too bulky and might ruin the line of the gown. Also, there is really no flare to Padme's dress, like a skirt would have. It is more of a straight line.

b)The undergown is a full-length dress, and you can see a lot of it underneath the "v" of the over-gown, as shown here. I think you are probably better off to just go ahead and make the whole under dress, given how much of it actually shows.

Above, Obi Dawn posted a link to this website where you can buy the right kind of fabric in the right color for realatively cheap. I think you are better off to buy the fabric and make a dress out of it. But this are all IMHO, of course! Good luck on your dress and post whatever you decide! [face_clown]

20. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Well, I went fabric shopping today and found some nice stuff. I found a crinkle off white crepon that I'm going to dye the right shade of blue. I'm going to try to just do a skirt and then sew the top portion into the top. If it doesn't work, I can always make a dress later! I'll be using Simplicity #9139 for the skirt, veiw A, lengthened and without the slit in the back. I'm planning on using extra fabric and "broomsticking" it in the pantyhose to get the crinkle look in the pictures. This fabric's really light, so it shouldn't add much bulk.

For the top, I'm using a modified Simplicity #8895, view A. I found a nice trigger poplin for the top and I have a pastel blue lining.

Wish me luck!

-Kirsten

taralynperry likes this.
  21. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
  22. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Hi everyone!! Just wanted to say I'm going make this lovely costume, and I appreciate all the info you guys have!! :D

I have a question though, I am going to learn how to embroider from my Aunt, and I was wondering if it is like hard, and long, and tedious?? (just want to prepare myself) ;)

thanks!

-~Dorme~-

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey Dorme :)

Is embroidery tredious? [face_laugh] :p

YES!

I made this costume about a month ago or so, and I only embroidered the white parts of the decorative pattern (the bits around the neckline and cuffs and front panel). The rest I painted with acrylic paints. This was easiest and fastest for me.

Don't get me wrong, the embroidery was a lot of fun but I'm not the most patient person in the world so I went straight for my paint brush. [face_mischief]

If you are going to try and be as exact as possible with the embroidered design, I think it will take a pretty good chunk of time to complete. If you have the patience and love this dress, then I say DO IT! :D

[image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/feature/20020107/img/sideb_bg.jpg]

I'm currently making Padme's picnic dress and becuase I love it so much I've found infinite patience doing all the hand sewing and embroidery on it. :D

-Dawn

p.s. If you would like to see my completed blue costume I'd be happy to e-mail you some pics. :)

24. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    I'd really love to see the pics because I'm getting ready to attempt the dress.

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Here's a link to my site:

http://www.geocities.com/floofywankenobi/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.