main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Blue Tatooine Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lelila, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I did my underdress first too, since it was the easiest part! Of course, now I'm doing the underdress last too!

Ah - doesn't it feel good when you can see the end in sight?

:)

Maggie

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Finally got the silly point on the top of the fluer-de-lis to lie flat (thank you sg!!) - but now it keeps sewing in CROOKED!!! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!

:mad:

3. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Clearly, the sleeves are against you.
    It's all part of an evil plot...

(Glad the fix worked!)

-sg

4. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Y'know, I was entirely convinced of the evil plot...

until last night.

Sleeves are IN!!! YAY!!!!

The points are ever-so-slightly crooked still, but not enough for the casual on-looker to notice. I would expect that Maggie, sg, and anyone else that's worked on this costume to notice, though. :D I might almost be disappointed if you didn't. [face_laugh] ;)

ONWARD!

5. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Way to go kreleia! I can't wait to see pics!

I wouldn't worry about everything not being 100% perfect. God knows my poncho isn't. There are a ton of little things that I wish I could have done better for whatever reason - but I guarentee you, you're your own worst critic! I'm sure your costume will look great!

My new fabric for the underdress (remember - streaks last time) - still hasn't come yet! And Balticon is in a week. The fabric seller sent it first class for some reason, instead of priority and it's taking forever. (Though it is coming from across the country.) I just hope it's not lost. Sigh.

So, out of desperation, and after much testing of my streaky scraps of fabric, last night I used a spray bottle and good old royal blue RIT dye and sprayed the streaky parts of my undergown. I did two rounds of spray, microwaving between and after to dry the fabric - and it worked! The color isn't totally even, but good enough to make me less panicked about my fabric not coming sooner. Anyway, cross your fingers for me that it's there when I get home tonight!

Here's a pic of the underdress (keeping in mind that my camera isn't taking accurate color pics anyway):

http://www.padawansguide.com/myblue/underdress_fix.jpg

Maggie

6. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    My fabric came! (Parcel post that's why it took so long!) I will be crinkling it tonight! (An exciting Friday night for me and my very understanding fiancee!)

;-)

Maggie

7. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    kreleia, how's the costume coming??

Well - my fabric ended up being no good - it was the last piece they had in that color, and it was probably older, so it was faded at the creasemarks where it had been folded. They were very nice about it and refunded my money and will let me know when more of that color comes in. D'oh!

So I basically dyed the first underdress I made within an inch of its life and you can't see the streaking at all now (thank you royal blue RIT).

I had to twist it up and leave it for a while to get good crinkles again, but I think it works! So for now, I'm declaring the project done! (Though I may take another crack at the underdress if they get more fabric in!) But at least its done so I can wear it for the Balticon masquerade! :)

I took a bunch of new pics with the new underdress - if anyone wants to see them, they are here!

Maggie

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Maggie, it looks wonderful! Congrats on being finsihed too. I can't wait to see it on you. :)

9. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Despite all the trouble you had with it, I think it looks just fabulous, Maggie! Now all we need to see are pics of you in it! :)

10. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    I know! I haven't had an opportunity to take pics. It's hard to take them in my apartment - the lighting is terrible! Well - I will be wearing it to DragonCon and Balticon this weekend - hopefully I'll get some decent pics!

Thanks for the compliments!!

Maggie

11. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Been out of the loop for a while since I've had a crapload of nonsense go down during the last few weeks - and then I was out of town for Memorial Day weekend.

So, no finishing progress yet. Should be this week, though. :)

Maggie, the dress looks AWESOME!!! **hugs** Congrats on a job well done!!!! :D :D

12. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    fighting with the lining now... grrrr...

13. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    kreleia - I know how it goes! It's too bad real-life gets in the way of costuming, right? ;)

Good luck with the lining! I can't wait to see it all done! :)

Maggie

14. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I've decided, as my first all on my own costuming project, to make this dress over my summer vacation. For those who have painted on the designs on the front of the poncho, what type of fabric did you use, or would recomend? What type of paint would use use also? Thanks!

15. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    :eek: I'm... FINISHED. DONE. Reached the END. I can hardly believe it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It looks so... COOL! :D It's no longer in pieces!!! Allow me a moment... **does the happy dance for a loooong time**

Okay, I have one little bunch of ribbon to do tomorrow morning (er, later this morning, I guess), and a quick re-hem to the underdress so that I'm not walking on it. Hemmed it a little low originally, for some unexplainable reason. [face_blush]

Wow. **sniff** Wow. This is... well... kind of the end of a personal era. [face_laugh] It's been almost a year since I originally started this project. Not that it should've ever taken that long, but that crap kept jumping in the way. Wow. :D I can't get this silly grin off of my face.

I FINALLY HAVE A NEW COSTUME TO WEAR!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

P.S. I should have pictures on Monday. WOOHOO!!!

16. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    When I painted the flames on my dress I first had to do them white, because if I painted the yellow straight on the fabric would just suck it in and they would turn green. That happened with my first flames.

17. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Obi-Anne, what type of paint did you use?

18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Just some textil paint I found at home, also since I'm not living in America I doubt you would have it over there.

19. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I was able to see krelia's dress yesterday. One word: Wow!!!

Another great costume completed by our Desert Queen. [face_love]

20. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    jedilucass, I just used regular acrylic craft paint, but I mixed it with textile medium - this makes it more flexible, and it absorbs into the fabric more instead of just sitting on top of it, so it doesn't crack. You can usually find the textile medium in the same place as the paints, you just have to look a little. or ask. It's there. :)

21. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    okay... for whatever reason this thread didn't bump when I posted last night. ?[face_plain] So, here's the "bump" again. :D

Thanks Obey!!! :)

22. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Wooohooo! Congrats, kreleia!!!
    Ther era of blueness has come to an end...

(What color is the next era? :) )

-sg

23. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Pics pics! We want pics! :D

24. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, I was *supposed* to have pics by now... :( still waiting. Hopefully in the next day or so...

25. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Congratulations, kreleia! Doesn't it feel good to be finished? I can't wait to see pictures! :)

As for paint - you might want to try fabric paint. I was planning on making a doll version with my leftover blue wool, and I bought some fabric paint to use on it, since there's no way I'll be embroidering all those flames a second time, even on a doll-sized version. But I haven't had time to do anything with it yet.

Obi-Dawn might be a good person to ask because she used fabric paint on her costume. I'm not sure what fabric she used - maybe that trigger poplin?

Maggie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.