main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Blue Tatooine Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lelila, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    PICS!!!! (finally!) :D :D :D

Not the best lighting, but oh well. ;)

[image=http://www.kreleia.com/costumes/images/kre_bluedress1.jpg] [image=http://www.kreleia.com/costumes/images/kre_bluedress2.jpg]
    [image=http://www.kreleia.com/costumes/images/kre_bluedress3.jpg] [image=http://www.kreleia.com/costumes/images/kre_bluedress4.jpg] [image=http://www.kreleia.com/costumes/images/kre_bluedress5.jpg]

HOODY FREAKIN' HOO!! **jumps for joy**

2. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Kreleia WOW! :D Your dress looks wonderful! The embroidery is Awesome! Perfect Job! Your hard work sure shows--and certainly paid off.

Way to Go! Woo-Hoo!! (Doing the happy dance with you!) :D
    ~Ferd

3. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Ditto what Ferd said, wow, that looks wonderful!!!

4. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Ditto once again.. amazing! I like the neckline of your underdress, it looks a lot like the original!

5. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Very, very nice!!

~H~

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Kreleia- Congratulations on finishing your costume! (I know how it feels to finally get a big project like that completed :) )It looks great - the embroidery is perfect. I saw that you said you've been working on this off and on for a year now. How many hours do you think all the embroidery took? Were you doing it all by hand, or were you able to do your flames with the machine?

Good work!

-kay dee

7. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Once again, krelia shows why she is our Queen. [face_love]

Great work, as always!!!

8. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Fabuloso, kreleia!

Great work -- you look beautiful in your creative triumph!

-sg

9. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Congratulations kreleia! It looks perfect! I love it!

10. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Thanks everyone!! [face_blush] It feels pretty darn good to have it done. :D

Just a quick note on the underdress (now that I'm re-looking at the pics) - it's not really *that* short. I ended up not re-hemming it, like I said I would, and instead just threw a belt on at the waist and bloused the dress over it to shorten it a bit. So, it really does do the "puddle" thing at my feet, although you'll probably rarely see that in the pics since I like to be able to walk. :D ;)

Anyway, thanks kay_dee!! The embroidery was done both by hand and machine - all the white "chicken feet" stuff was obviously by hand, which probably took me... eh... 5-6 hours for all of it (since I'll start off slow and then pick up speed as I get used to it). The circle part was done by machine, but the kicker to that is that my machine *isn't* a cool embroidery machine. I ended up using a basic satin stitch, and moving the fabric by hand as I went back and forth (one column forward, lift presser foot, move, one column reverse, lift foot, move... etc etc). Each color was done separately. I also ended up embroidering that part twice (except for the dark blue) to bring out the color more, and on the second time added the orange so that the colors would tie in with the sleeves better. In all, that part alone took me a good 10-12 hours. So, embroidery time total was between 15-18 hours. :eek: (not nearly as much work as your gorgeous tabbard, but still surprisingly long, now that I think about it.)

The flames are actually painted on, rather than embroidered. I drew them (and the fleur-de-lis) onto the sleeves first with my dress-marking pencil, then filled in. The base of the flames is yellow - about 4 layers (or coats) worth to make them opaque enough, then I added two layers of the orange part on top of that. I worked pretty consistently on these, with the total time for each sleeve being about 8 hours - so, 16 hours of painting. eek. Keeping the lines straight and the detail looking nice definitely took me the longest. I probably could have shortened the time using a stencil or something, but I'm a bit of a die-hard perfectionist, and just prefer to do it my way. [face_blush] :D

:)

11. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Kreleia Thanks for sharing your embroidery/paint process with me. Since I don't follow this thread closely it was nice to get a recap of how you went about it. It's great that you were able to do the flames with a satin stitch on your machine, what a time saver! And the painted flames and fleur de lis are so perfect I can't tell the difference between what's painted and what's embroidered.

Good idea belting your dress by the way. That way you can just adjust your 'puddle' depending on what you are doing.

Great job!

-Kay Dee

12. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Looks *wonderful,* kreleia! Congrats, you must feel so relieved and accomplished! :)

Caitlin

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh kreleia! I know this costume has been a long time coming for you and it sure was worth it! You did an absolutely beautiful job!
    The only way I can tell which parts of the design were embroidered and which were painted is because you told us! Congrats!

Sooooo....what are you making next? [face_mischief]

14. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Thank you!!! :D :D [face_blush]

As for what I'm doing next... :D I'm currently working on an Imperial Officer uniform for a friend for Comic Con, and then I'm doing American McGee's Alice. [face_devil] clickie (yes, for me at Comic Con too)

As for Padme costumes, I'm seriously looking into grabbing a (relatively) cheap corset and throwing the lace skirt together for the corset gown. This being if I'm able to scrape the money together fast enough before ComicCon (which, I doubt). If not, then I'll probably try the grand experiment at making my own corset for this dress, and seeing if I can have it for Halloween.

At some point, I also want to do the rainbow gown and the light blue two-piece dress. :)

15. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    kreleia - I've been out of town and out of the loop - so I just now got to see your pictures. Woohoo! Great job! It looks beautiful and you look great in it! Can I please add your pics to my site? :)

Maggie

16. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Thanks Maggie!!

Um, sure! I'm very flattered. [face_blush] I'd be honored if you would. Thanks for asking! [face_blush]

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
  18. Spitsweet

Spitsweet Jedi Master star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    you can view pics of my 16" repainted doll with OOAK costumes here :

http://www.geocities.com/padmeamidaladoll

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Obi Anne & Spitsweet, both of your sites look wondrous! Great jobs!

20. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Bumping due to recent query.

21. grommie

grommie Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Recent query-er here!

I love this thread(I've seen the absolutely beautiful photos of the gowns some of you have done and I'm so jealous!), and (better late than never, I hope) I'm getting ready to attempt this dress. The "poncho" part is where I'm running into difficulty. Most of the patterns that were mentioned in earlier posts on this thread are either not being made anymore, or I just can't find them :). I'm thinking of using Simplicity 5106 (a maternity tunic/dress) and just modifying it a tad and using much heavier fabric. Would this work, do you think? I have no experience making my own patterns, so I'd like to find something similar if possible...although if you know how to make patterns and would like to share your infinite wisdom, please do. I'm all ears! I can make with the information-soakage!

Thank you! Caitie

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi grommie :)

Not sure how much help I can be because the poncho part of this costume gave me a headache, but the Simplicity pattern you are looking at:

[image=http://www.simplicity.com/assets/5106/5106.jpg]

gives me pause because of the underbust seams. Have you looked to see if some of the patterns suggested at Padawan's Guide are still available? That page has a good write up about this costume. And I think this one by Kwik Sew might be easier to start with, but I'm not sure about it's availability:

Kwik Sew 2262

23. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I'm not sure either - but the Kwik Sew pattern was the one I used as a base. I thought this pattern was good as the sleeves aren't fitted and don't have a shoulder/arm seam. There is a seam down the shoulder though. I ended the sleeve at the elbow and I drafted a pattern for the lower sleeve. The lower sleeve is definitely a separate piece - you can see the seam at the top of the flames. I cut the front in a deeper V and closed the front opening, and altered the shape of the bottom of the tunic. I did do a muslin before cutting into my blue wool. I was very pleased with the shape of the poncho when I was done, so I highly recommend this pattern.

You might be able to order this pattern from the company or find it on ebay. Or just draft your own! :)

24. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    I would like to know if *chiffon* truly crinkle as well as like silk, or lining fabric ? (you know these very light satin like fabric that are found in various colors for lining? this is the kind of fabric I'm using for my doll scale costumes that needs crinkle effects....but I've never attempted doing the crinkle effect with real chiffon)

25. grommie

grommie Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Thank you both for the suggestions! I picked up Kwik-Sew 2262 last night and cut out the pattern this morning. Now to modify it. I think I'm good on the opening of the neckline, but the sleeve intimidates me...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.