main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Blue Tatooine Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lelila, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    If it helps, here is the shape of my lower sleeve:

http://www.costumersguide.com/myblue/7_flamedone1.jpg

and what it looks like sewn on:

http://www.costumersguide.com/myblue/8_sleeveon.jpg

(Note: you'll have to cut and paste the above URLs - my hotlinking stuff won't allow you just click on them, you'll get an error)

:)

2. grommie

grommie Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    I am in awe. Your dress is beautiful! Such a good job.
    I started to lay out my pattern yesterday, but I'm absolutely terrified to actually begin cutting it, since it requires length modification and drafting of a new pattern for the sleeves (thank you for the shape picture - I'm sure it will be a big help if I ever actually manage to cut anything - LOL). I'm a sewing newbie with more ambition than talent, and fiercely perfectionistic. This could be a bad combination :).

3. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    I have a very hard time figuring out how the lower sleeves are done....are they actually bias-cut ???

I hope some can resolve this problem before I'm back from my work so I can work on my new doll's dress ;)

4. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks grommie!

5. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    ^Up ! please ?

6. grommie

grommie Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Progress at last!

I've cut my poncho out of royal blue fleece (not perfect fabric, but my choices and budget are limited - Trisha would be horrified LOL), patterned, cut and attached my lower sleeves. Now all that remains is to cut the lower V, do all the embroidery and hem and seam.

Question: did those of you who made this dress use wool or embroidery thread for your chicken feet? The feet look fairly thick, which would lead me to think wool...

7. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    grommie, I don't know if this is even relevant to your questions anymore (since it's been about 6 weeks), but I used crochet thread/string (floss?). You can find it by all the embroidery floss at the local fabric/craft store. It was an accidental find for me, and I grabbed it when I found it. I'm really happy with how well it worked for the "chicken feet." I just used it at it's full width, and didn't divide it at all (like you do with embroidery floss). You could probably use full-width embroidery floss too.

I'm also getting ready to re-do my under-dress. The one in the above pictures worked well for a while, but I'm no longer happy with it. So, with Dragon*Con coming up, I'm inspired once again. :)

I researched the pictures of the dress on Maggie's always awesome Padawan's Guide, and compared them to as many existing online patterns as I could find. Apparently, the original is off-the-shoulder. Unfortunately for me, my shoulders are naturally pretty narrow, and most strappy tops tend to be off-the-shoulder for me unintentionally (as in, the straps are ALWAYS slipping). So, I looked for a wide v-neck top or dress.

I came across Butterick #B4327 (a "Yes! It's Easy - See & Sew" pattern, actually). It has a deeper wide v-neck (almost a sweetheart neckline, but not curved), is sleeveless, and is a fairly simple straight dress. The pattern only goes to the knee, but it will be easy to modify it to be floor length. I purchased the pattern at JoAnn's yesterday.

This pattern also looks like it would work, but it's a top only. A separate skirt would need to be added, or the pattern modified to make it a dress.

I'm also going to replace the lining inside of the poncho, but that will be after the dress is finished.

:)

8. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked and bumping by request. :)

9. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Thanks Sola :)

I've started working on this costume as an easy to wear costume for C4. I had the blue wool and lining material, plus a blue cotton on hand. The entire poncho is lined because I'm very allergic to wool, but it's a lighter wool to start with. I used the Fortuny Fake method on the cotton and it looks great :D I haven't started sewing the underdress yet, but I have a pattern already cut and altered for it (just for the neckline really). The poncho was done off my own pattern by draping mock-up fabric on my dress form - very easy to do. I did however make one mistake because I didn't look at the pictures long enough, there is a shoulder seam where there shouldn't be :(. But, it doesn't affect the overall look. I'm very happy with how its coming along so far :D

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/tatooineponcho/websize/IMG_0681.JPG]
    Boiling the fabric for the underdress.

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/tatooineponcho/websize/IMG_0683.JPG]
    The fabric drying in my bathroom.

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/tatooineponcho/websize/IMG_0688.JPG]
    The edge of my sleeve with the lining :)

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/tatooineponcho/websize/IMG_06913.JPG]
    The almost totally sewn poncho. I left the sides of the sleeves unsewn because I'll be painting on the flames :)

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/tatooineponcho/websize/IMG_06923.JPG]
    The back of the Poncho

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/tatooineponcho/websize/IMG_0698_23.JPG]
    The underdress fabric pinned in the dress-form to see how it looks... I like it :D

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/tatooineponcho/large/Twilek%20001.jpg]
    I painted a flame on already and I like the way it looks so far. I think I'll try to find a slightly thicker paint though at my local art store to see how that works (on some scraps).

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    It's looking lovely so far! :)

11. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    It looks beautifull !

12. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    Flames :D

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/tatooineponcho/websize/IMG_0028.JPG]
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/tatooineponcho/websize/IMG_00403.JPG]

13. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Looks beautiful, Benae! Great job on the paints, and great idea! ;) :D

~Spacelady

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Looking great so far. :)

15. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002

Now I have an under dress too :)

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/tatooineponcho/websize/IMG_00633.JPG]

16. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    OMG, you must either have no life or have the concerntration of a elephant or something.

I wish I had that sort of life.

The dress looks beautiful!

MC

17. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    Nah, I just work part time and can pick what days I work :D. Plus it was sticky hot and humid out - blech, air conditioning is nice :). I did however go to Coney Island yesterday and that was nice (love the ocean).

18. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Well I live in the South Island New Zealand and we are in Winter at the moment and from what you say the weather like there I would love to be there.
    Snow gets boring after a while.

MC

19. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I'm almost done with embroidering on the 'chicken feet' along the sleeves and neckline. I decided since I had 5 hours to kill during a car ride, what better time lol. I'll post a picture when I get home tonight.

20. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    beautiful job !
    I hope to see you at C4 !

21. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query :)

22. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    Thanks Sister Sola!
    I've had the perfect blue fabric sitting in my closet for years! It is time to do tackle this UFO Padme dress and save some money by not not having to buy fabric for Dcon costume this year.

In my research for this dress I've found conflicting theories about the flames on the poncho(painted v. embroidery). Does anyone have any opinions about it? I know Padawans guide (Thanks to Benae_Queen's findings!) noted that the flames might be painted. Has this been verified by anyone who has seen this in person?

I have the ability to digitize this design for my embroidery machine and I would like to know If i need to include the flames or just paint them on then add the embroidery motifs. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

23. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I can see what Benae sees and it's certainly food for thought, but after looking at some high-res shots and some consideration, I think the whole thing is definitely embroidered. It just seems odd to me that they would embroider the half circle but then paint flames on the sleeves. Also, the original is a basketweave wool coating fabric and it would be easy for the machine stitches to fall in line with the weave at certain positions, making it look as if the thread color was following the weave and somehow make it seem painted.

I also have this on my roster (thought I'd give Padme a go for once), though I'm saving mine for C5. I'll also be digitizing and doing the embroidery by machine (I considered doing it by hand early on but as the original was by machine, I felt it would be best not to stray from that and I recently had an opportunity to purchase a machine so no reason not to), but it will be with all designs embroidered and no paint.

Not sure that will help with your decision. Cressie, but at least it's an opinion to tuck away. Best of luck on yours and I'll look forward to seeing it in September - the fabric sounds lovely! :)

Beret

24. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    Thanks for your help Beret!
    Looks like I'll be digitizing the entire design. I'm pretty good with basic logos, but I haven't played with blending stitches and gradients in Embird yet so the flames might be tricky. If all else fails I'll just hand embroider *shudders*

I do hope my hoop is large enough for the design. I have a Janome giga-hoop which is 9.1" X 7.9" and I am afraid it is too small for the large circle. I might have to send it off to a commercial embroidery place.

25. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    No problem and keep us posted! :)

As for mine I'm determined to do it in sections. My largest hoop is roughly 5x7 so I have no choice but I did some research and had discussions with those who teach on my machine and I think I can pull it off with a little time and ingenuity. I'm even considering an "embroidered muslin" just to give it a test run to be sure. But of course all of this remains to be seen. If all else fails, I might have to turn to hand embroidery as well, but at least I wouldn't be nine months embroidering as I did for the Bespin Gown - this Padme gown is a bit more manageable. ;)

I'm still on the search for a good basketweave wool coating but so far no luck. I'm tempted to dye my own fabric if I find it in white although it would be a last resort before I turn to other materials. However I have until the fall before I start (too much to do before D*C). I know others have used plain wool or flannel and I could go that route, but the basketweave is obvious enough in the promos that I really want to see if I can go that route first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.