main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Blue Tatooine Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lelila, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    Yeah but Cressie you can use the Clothsetter to position the design and then just break it up. I am actually going to buy a Janome 350e machine very soon. How do you like the Embird program? I am in the market for a good digitizing program and had considered the Janome Digitizer mb program since to redo my Aqua Georgette, it is going to take 800,000 stitches and even the cheapest digitizing places cost $1/1000 stitches. It will just be easier to do it myself considering how terrible my embroidery guy turned out to be. Sorry to go off topic.

Looking forward to seeing both your dresses, Cressie and LeiaYT1300.

2. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    Get the 350e and Embird! I've had my 350e for 2 years now and no problems. I love it! It is the way to go cost/quality wise. I live in a remote area and had to teach myself digitizing, so Embrid and their online tutorials was perfect and so much cheaper than Digitizer, plus with Embird I can create and modify any embroidery file, not just Janome's jef file type.

I don't mind rehooping and I have a clothsetter, i'm just not good at it! :) This might take lots of muslin stitch outs. It's great to know others are on the same page. YAY GO PONCHO!

3. vaders_woman66

vaders_woman66 Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2009
    Hi, I'm new to this and didn't know where else to post. I want to do costuming for my 18 inch dolls and cannot find patterns. I've used patterns from McCalls, Butterick and Simplicity, so I am familiar with patterns. HELP!

4. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    For the poncho you really don't need a pattern, but for my poncho pattern I used Butterick B5248 (size large view D)- it does not have a shoulder seam and it stops around the elbow. I lengthened it, added sleeves, cut a V for the neck and back and added a seam at the back (which you can see from the back picture on Padawan's guide). I really liked Butterick B5248 because it already had a large neckline and was one pattern piece. I'm sure I could have created a pattern myself- but using a commercial pattern saved me alittle time (plus it was 99 cents at Joanns last weekend for their butterick sale) :) Good luck with your doll clothes!

Embroidery update: I finished digitizing the emblems, still testing the final stich outs- took me all weekend, but I can't get the large circle to split for the gigahoop (9 x 8 in). I'm thinking i'll use my 5 by 7 in (janome size B) hoop in a wedge pattern instead of splitting the circle into left and right sides- It works in my mind but hooping it 6 times and lining up the flames will not be fun. I might just give up and paint the flames, then machine embroider the emblems. We'll see...

I have a poncho fabric question to throw out: Are we sure the real poncho is wool?

I found a blue synthetic of "undetermined content" according to the label at Walmart for $1 /yd. It has the visible square weave and balls up with fuzz balls in some areas like in the pictures. This fabric is not wool/fleece and is probably a poorly-made but soft outdoor fabric. I'm going to use it since I don't have to dye it the right color and it has a weave, but I wonder what they actually used. Insight anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.