main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Blue Tatooine Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lelila, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Hey thanks Obi-Dawn!! I didn't know you could just paint it on!!

EPPPP!! YOUR DRESS IS SOOOOOOOOO GOOD!! :D :D

Ahhhh! I'm so jealous!!! Heh, maybe I'll just paint in on.. seeing as I have like *no* patience! :p No, I must try to learn how to embrodier!!

Well, Obi-Dawn I can't wait to hear how your Padmé picnic dress will turn out! I LOVE that dress! Show us pics!

So, are you going to the celebration?? Maybe you'll enter the costume contest?? Er... no DON'T! Then you'd beat me! :D :p ;) (like that would be hard) :D

-~Dormé~-

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Dorme, you're too sweet! :)

Yeah, I'm going to the celebration and I'm in the contest. I'll be wearing my picnic dress. There will be some more progress pics of it up soon. Will you wear the blue dress in the contest? I can't wait to see everyone's costumes! It's going to be so fun. :D

I hope you can find the patience to embroider the blue dress. I think it would look so good embroidered. May the force be with you when you look for the patience to do it! ;)

3. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Wow! I just saw your pics of the picnic dress!! Very very *very* GOOD! Blah! And you say you have no patience! *rolls eyes* :p More pics soon please!

Well, I'm going to wear either my EPI Handmaiden Battle outfit or the Blue Tatooine dress. Err.. can you sumbit 2 costumes by the way??

Oh my gosh! Hehehe! I *just* heard there's a costume parade!! hehe!! I used to do that in elementary school! :D

-~Dormé~-

4. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Just ordered my fabric and dye for the "poncho" part of this dress today. :) Also, I'm running back to JoAnn's too - I found some sky-blue crinkle gauze there the other day, but there was only about a yard left on the bolt. SO, if a new bolt isn't there, then I'll try online, or Hancock fabrics. If all else fails, I'll order from Dharma again. They have a beautiful crinkle gauze (but it would have to be dyed).

YAY!! New project finally started!
    kreleia ^.^

5. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    I need some serious help with the poncho part of the outfit. Because I am a total novice at sewing and costuming, I have somebody making the dress for me and she wants to know exactly how it was done because she's having trouble figuring out just how to do it from the pattern that was given. So if someone could please, please pm me or leave the directions on the thread, I would really appreciate it. The sky blue crinkle gauze at JoAnn's is beautiful. They also had a darker blue that would look pretty good with the poncho.

6. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Wish I could offer you some help with the poncho AL. Of course, I'm going to be figuring that out, too, so I don't have anything to tell you yet. :(

As for the blue crinkle gauze - JoAnn's had enough, but it was all in pieces - none of them long enough to actually DO the dress. -.-;; The lady at the cutting counter said they probably wouldn't be ordering anymore in, either. So, online I go. (I'll go check, see if it's available - it's the 100% cotton sky blue Bohemian gauze, if anyone's curious.)

Oh! I also tried out the peasant shirt pattern that I bought to use for this dress. I LOVE the shirt! And it should be really easy to modify (pattern-wise) into the dress. So, yay! I think I'm on the right track!

kreleia ^.^

7. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    A-L,

Which pattern are you using for the top? I used Simplicity #8895, and the adjustments were pretty straightforward.

8. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    The lady that's doing it for me picked out some random pattern for the poncho because it looked to her like the best one. She looked at simplicity 8895 but couldn't figure it out just by looking at it. She just needs a bit(or a lot :confused: ) of explanation to figure out how to do it. Thanks for your help everyone.

9. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    WOW! Obi-Dawne! The dresses look great!!!

I think I'm just going to look for a ready made dress made out of the crinkle material - and then just dye it, but it will be easier to find when it's more springy outside.

Anyways...poncho is sorta done and I started the white embroidering today...MAN, this is going to take FOREVER!

Dorme, I also have no idea what I'm doing at all! I got some people to show me a few things and practiced a lot before actually starting on it tonight. I'll probably paint on the sleeves and back but I'm trying to embroider the whole front part. I'm using "Embroidery Floss" - aka the stuff that kids make friendship bracelets out of. Argh!

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks guys. :)

I'm convinced I could construct a better 'poncho' if I gave it a second try. I think I'd break down and embroider it all too. I just started embroidering the picnic dress and it's a lot of fun. Totally time consuming though...

11. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    The poncho is becoming more and more of a reality for me. Thanks to Obi-Dawn for providing me with pics of her pattern. It was a great help! :D I think I'm going to try Simplicity pattern 7049 for the poncho. The sleeves are longer and wider than pattern 7026 and the actual jacket is longer as well. There will be less modification needed for the arms.

PS-For those who don't have the material for the underdress, you might want to check out wal-Mart. They have a crinkle gauze for $1.97 or $2.00/yd. The only color I saw was white so you'd have to do a dye job.

12. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Okay :D - here is how it's going! This is about 10 hours of work over 2 days because I had to undo some of it that was making an oval instead of the circle. This isn't a great shot - the colours are messed and the stitches at the end look really strange - but it's the best I can do with a webcam!

[image=http://muss.cis.mcmaster.ca/~richaraj/blue5.jpg]

13. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Amidala-Leia, thanks for the info on the crinkle gauze at Wal-mart. :) I actually went up the other day, and ended up buying the whole bolt. heh heh... hey, it was $2.97 per yard, and I wanted 10 yards - and that ended up being the bolt. Yes, I still have to dye it, but that's okay. I think I'm going to tonight (as soon as I tear myself away from the computer).

Lelila, your embroidery looks great so far!! Nice work!

kreleia ^.^

14. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    krleia- I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the gauze at Wal-Mart. I would have been more than willing to try it except that I've never really tried doing it before and I don't really have the spare time to experiment with it. I settled with the stuff at JoAnn's for 5.99/yd. Good luck.

Great Job so far lelila :)

15. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Just finished dyeing the gauze. It looks beautiful. :) I just used Rit "Evening Blue." I'll probably dye it once more using "Royal Blue" to get it a tad darker (which I've done before), but I'm letting the fabric rest and dry for now.

kreleia ^.^

16. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    You know what i just realized... the pattern on the dresses.. looks like the Jedi Council floor alittle...

[image=http://www.liquid2k.com/thuglife/episode2_stopklatka_g57.jpg]

17. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    Good observation js. I had never even noticed that before, but after looking at the pic, the pattern really does look like the floor of the Jedi Council.

krleia I hope you can send pics of the dye job when it's done. I'd really like to see how it looks.

18. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    hmmm.. well, I was about to scan a portion of it for you, but it looks like my cat has decided to make the fabric her new bed (of course). [face_plain] Aside from that, I don't know if I could stand to scan anything at the moment. Maybe tomorrow if I'm feeling better. Still, I've decided against re-dying in the darker "Royal Blue." If I do re-dye, it'll be in the "Evening Blue" again to make the color more vibrant.

kreleia ^.^

19. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    Lost track of this thread. Anyway, kreleia whenever you can get those pics up is just fine. I'm justintrested in seeing the color.

20. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    **laugh** I was wondering where I posted that reply! Thanks! Yeah, lemme get some pics scanned real quick here... I'll edit the images in.

kreleia ^.^

21. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Okayyyy, that ended up being a much larger project than it should have been. [face_plain] Had to re-download my FTP client and all... blah. I hate upgrading Windows - I uploaded XP two weeks ago and have been fighting with it ever since. :mad:

Anyway, here's the fabric scans. They scanned in *really* bright, so I had to tone down the green in them - that's why the scanner bed looks pink. **laugh** But, on my screen, the scan now matches the true color of the dyed fabric.

[image=http://members.cox.net/kreleia/images/fabric.jpg] [image=http://members.cox.net/kreleia/images/fabric_large.jpg]

Hope it helps!
    ^.^

22. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    Thanks krleia! It helps a lot :)

I know your pain about uppgrading to xp. It's not a lot of fun.

23. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    kreleia the gauze looks beautiful! My mom found two skirts that she claims matches the underdress exactly so we're going to make one into a shirt - I haven't seen them yet.

Has anyone come across pictures of her shoes?

Here's an updated pic (the colour is still off) - the embroidery is going quite slowly but it's going :) I haven't had time because of exams which means that in the week between my exams and Celebration, I'm going to be trapped in my house!
    [image=http://muss.cis.mcmaster.ca/~richaraj/blue10.jpg]

24. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    I have seen no views of the shoes. I've been wondering what to do about that myself.

25. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    I haven't seen her shoes either. I was just going to wear some sandals with mine - they're tan strappy flat-heeled sandals with little pewter-colored daisies attached where the straps cross. They look Padmé-ish to me, and match my mental image of what she might wear with a dress like this. Of course, I know I'll be waaaaaay off... [face_laugh]

^.^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.