main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Blue Tatooine Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lelila, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Okay fellow costume-crazies, I came up with a hairbrained idea for the embroidery on this that looks so far like it's going to work. Satin Stitch (with micro stitch-length). :D I was tinkering around with all of my decorative stitches last night, and started goofing off and fiddling with the stitch length, when **LIGHTENING STRIKE** - I discovered the satin stitch. You'd think I'd've discovered it before now, but hey... [face_blush] Anyway, I was so thrilled that I ran to JoAnn's and picked up a spool of blue variegated thread, ran back, tried it out and EUREKA!!!! It WORKED!!! Now I just have to find red-to-yellow variegated thread...

;)

2. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    If you find that red-gold thread, let me know ;) Seriously though I can't wait to see the results because I'd like to remake this one someday.

3. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    I'll definitely keep you posted. My friend and partner in crime (Mara_Jade_AZ) actually found red-to-yellow variegated thread today, and picked it up for me. WOOHOO!! Test run tomorrow, after I grab some tear-away stabilizer, and then I'll know for sure. The big designs - the ones that look kinda like the royal symbol - will most definitely be painted on, but at least I won't have to fight with painting such tiny spaces now. :)

4. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Great find! Let me know how it turns out.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well I don't even have sewing machine, so machine stitches was never an option for me.

I'm going to start to do a matching bag for the dress this week. I'm going to spend about 10 on some trains in the week and want to do some embroidering. So I'm going to use what I have left from the fabric for the tunic and then probably embroider the stylized emblems on it. It will be great to have a matching bag when I go to a sci-fi con in October.

6. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I have more photos of my dress up now

7. Julia_aka_JJ

Julia_aka_JJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Wow! You did a great job! It looks so similar to the actual one! What're your upcoming projects after this one?

8. Spitsweet

Spitsweet Jedi Master star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    Hello,
    I made the Blue Tatooine dress for my Padme Amidala doll (repainted from the Hidden Majest doll...the paint isn't finished yet.)

I am posting pictures here :

http://membres.lycos.fr/padmeskywalker/IMAGE000.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/padmeskywalker/IMAGE001.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/padmeskywalker/IMAGE002.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/padmeskywalker/IMAGE003.jpg

I need to go buy Fabrics Markers to make the desings and then it will be done :)

I am particulary proud of my crushed fabric for the udnerdress I did myself :)

9. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Awesome work, Spitsweet!

10. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Julia, my next project will take a lot of time. I want to do the picnic dress, but I don't even have regular access to a sewing machine, so I will have to wait until some time next year.

The bag is taking more time than I thought, or rather, I don't have the time to sit down for more than some minutes a time.

It's a simple bag and then I will have one emblem on each side of the bag, and then I'll see what I come up with. I still have some beads and ribbon that I used for the dress, and I would be nice if I could use them on the bag.

11. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Spitsweet,
    You said you made the crinkle underdress for your doll yourself. I was wondering if you could PM me how you did the crinkle effect? Or did you buy it that way?

Thanks,

Kate

12. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    rvqavalon just in case you receive the info in PM, I am posting it here for others who might want to know. It was posted earlier in this thread as well.

Hope it helps you out--it is tried and true by many others including myself :) Ferd

Site on Crushing Fabric

13. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Wow kre, can you keep me updated on that one too? We painted watercolour onto an iron on fabric and did the fading that way. It's really easy to remove the fabric though, so I was hoping to redo that part on the sleeves someday.
    I don't know if I ever posted up pics of my final product (completed 3 hours before I wore it to C2). Thanks so much for all the help guys! We couldn't have done it without you!
    (I'll post some more detailed ones when I find 'em)

[image=http://muss.cis.mcmaster.ca/~richaraj/c2_02_matt_deb_trailer.jpg]
    Me and an "Anakin" at C2 acting out the trailer scene (click to make it bigger)

14. Spitsweet

Spitsweet Jedi Master star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    I had to selll my blue Tat. dress......it is currently on ebay..:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1383901640

15. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I just posted pics of my first version of this dress. It is not 100% accurate, but I learned a lot about the construction and embroidery while recreating it. It is fully hand embroidered (with floss for white parts and yarn for other parts) The "flames" were the only hand painted elements. I used horsehair to hold the sleeves open, which worked nicely. Overall I was pretty pleased with the final outcome.

You can check it out here :) Ferd
    Ferd's poncho dress

16. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Ferd, everything you do is just soooo beautiful!!!!!

I see that we chose a bit different with the red and yellow outher ring, mine was more yellow, and your seems to have more red in it.

17. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    FERDALUMP, it look great! :) I can't stop being impressed with the SW costumes you had done.

18. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Ok, now I finished the emblems on the bag, anyone has any ideas what you would like to see except for the emblems? The bag is simply a blue square with the emblem in the middle. Also I have to finish it before next weekend, when I'm going to use it.

19. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    What I envision is something like a drawstring bag with the drawstring being a sort combination of the ribbon colors used at the bottom of the emblem. You can even finish them off with the gold pony beads. I think you could pull that off pretty easily --just make a casing at the top of the bag and run the ribbons through and Voila! A cute drawstring bag that coordinates well with the ensemble.

Just my .02 :) Ferd

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    That's a great idea, I will think about it. :)

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Well my bag is finished, but I've no pics of it yet.

On the other hand I have a new pic up in my photo album where you can see the finished embroideries on the front. It's the pic with me wearing a white cape over the dress.

22. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Oh, that turned out beautifully! With my own (bad) attempt at embroidery on a different project, I can appreciate how much effort went into that. (Yours looks far better than my embroidery.)

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Thanks a lot. I really enjoyed the embroideries, otherwise I wouldn't have started to think about the pick nick dress.

I can't wait until I can start those embroideries.

24. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    **bump**

25. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Maggie at the padawan's guide is currently constructing her own version of this costume. She is journaling her progress on her site. A great "how to" guide for those out there who haven't made this dress yet.

Here's her site.

Ferd :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.